PDA

View Full Version : Video: Gruden with QB Ryan Nassib

Strongman
04-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Apologies if this was posted somewhere else on here

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/57420/video-gruden-with-qb-ryan-nassib

Jeff1220
04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Terrible segment.

Jeff1220
04-15-2013, 09:09 PM
...to expand on that, Gruden has elevated his schtick to new levels. I know nothing more about Nassib than I did before watching that. And Nassib seemed a little put off by Gruden, and seemed reluctant to even respond.

Strongman
04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Gruden is saying Nassib is the top QB prospect in this draft (not that it means anything)...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/15/jon-gruden-likes-ryan-nassib-most-among-2013-qb-class/

BADTHINGSMAN
04-16-2013, 01:33 AM
I like Nassib but not at 8. His ball control worries me, as with EJ Manuels.

jamze132
04-16-2013, 03:32 AM
I like Nassib but not at 8. His ball control worries me, as with EJ Manuels.

I don't like any QB at #8.

And the ball control doesn't concern me even though neither QB are any good at it whatsoever. That can be corrected, relatively quickly.

BADTHINGSMAN
04-16-2013, 03:55 AM
I don't like any QB at #8.

And the ball control doesn't concern me even though neither QB are any good at it whatsoever. That can be corrected, relatively quickly.

With you on not liking any QB at 8.

Strongman
04-16-2013, 04:07 AM
I'm warming up to Nassib, but not at #8 (or any other QB at #8). If we could trade down into the high teens and grab him, I could live with that.

Novacane
04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
All you guys who are fine with taking a QB if we can trade down please help me understand????? If he sucks is it going to make any difference if we took him at 8 or 18? If he's great is it going to make any difference? Only difference is if the extra pick they would get turns into a good player. It they like a QB then they should take him at 8.

Joe Fo Sho
04-16-2013, 06:44 AM
All you guys who are fine with taking a QB if we can trade down please help me understand????? If he sucks is it going to make any difference if we took him at 8 or 18? If he's great is it going to make any difference? Only difference is if the extra pick they would get turns into a good player. It they like a QB then they should take him at 8.

Looks like you answered your own question. Getting value out of your draft picks is what the good teams do.

Novacane
04-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Looks like you answered your own question. Getting value out of your draft picks is what the good teams do.

Not worth the risk IMO. Say they like a certain QB then lose him trying to get another pick. He turns into a good or great player. How many Bills fans would give a **** about an extra pick then? If they don't have one that like a lot more than another fine. If they have a clear top guy than take him at 8.

kingJofNYC
04-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Didn't watch a lot of Syracuse but started to do so over the last few weeks, loved what I saw at times, hated what I saw at other times. Plays calm/cool at points, then speeds the game up and hurries everything. His OL did him no favors, once he got hit a few times his clock sped up, happens to most QB, concerning non the less.

Reminds me of another QB that came out a couple of years ago and has had good success, although not a large sample of games. Wouldn't mind having him or Wilson, but the 8th selection may be higher than I want to select either. Guess if he's your guy it doesn't matter where he goes.

Nix made it a point on the interview he did that with Murphy that guys like Kap, and Wilson would easily be first rounders, top ten guys, after the fact. So if the brain trust thinks these guys are that good, it's not a reach in their eyes.

Joe Fo Sho
04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Not worth the risk IMO. Say they like a certain QB then lose him trying to get another pick. He turns into a good or great player. How many Bills fans would give a **** about an extra pick then? If they don't have one that like a lot more than another fine. If they have a clear top guy than take him at 8.

Well that's a fine stance to take, the draft is a gamble. If Nassib sucks and he's not there when we pick after a trade back, then we have 2 other draft picks to screw up instead of just 1.

jwenger
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I don't like Nassib. If you really evaluate him you will see he
will never be any better then Fitz was. In fact he won't even be as good as Fitz.
Can not throw the long ball and is very INCONSISTANT. He is shorter,lighter and not
as fast or elusive as E.J. Manuel. Scratch Nassib off the list. Manuel>>>Nassib

cookie G
04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
He can't slide. Why would anyone want him?

Damn, Gruden, what the hell happened to you?

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Every draft pick is a risk whether you're taking a QB or LB or at 8.

I'd rather take the risk on a QB since that's the position that can truly change your franchise around.

Joe Fo Sho
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Every draft pick is a risk whether you're taking a QB or LB or at 8.

I'd rather take the risk on a QB since that's the position that can truly change your franchise around.

The JP Experiment was fun, wasn't it?

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Avoiding the position for years and trying to fill the hole with garbage retreads is a lot more fun right?

We tried with JP and it didn't work. To use that as the basis of not drafting a guy at 8 is asinine.

coastal
04-16-2013, 10:18 AM
The only QBs who interest me before Matt Scott in the third are Barkley and Manuel.

the question then becomes will either of th be available when we pick in the second.

i don't think they will so take your guard... Best WR... And Scott in the third.

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
The only QBs who interest me before Matt Scott in the third are Barkley and Manuel.

the question then becomes will either of th be available when we pick in the second.

i don't think they will so take your guard... Best WR... And Scott in the third.

Nix won't draft a guard high.

A guard at 8 is why bad teams stay bad.

Figster
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Ryan Nassib rated number 1 player in the draft by Sports Illustrated. (over all players)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/draft-2013/tracker/#bestAvailable

sukie
04-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Gruden was never an expert on QBs... just good on camera pretending to be.

feldspar
04-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, if the Bills take a QB with their first pick, that will be the first time they've ever done that.

I can't wait until next Thursday. All of this speculation isn't really fun anymore. NOBODY knows what's going to happen. AT LEAST half the fans just repeat what they've heard elsewhere anyway and act like it was their own original idea...as if they watched all these QBs play all the time. The hype of it all is killing me.

feldspar
04-17-2013, 04:01 PM

I don't think that Gruden himself ever drafted a quarterback, ironically enough. He just dealt with veterans the whole time.

But Gruden knows a thing or two and he's entertaining...what more do you want? He knows enough to put together a good show, for sure.

Fixxxer
04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his only a 3 minute segment of much longer program? They showed the light side of the show with Gruden taking a jab at Nassib because he can't slide. Personally I liked Nassib's face when shown the Brady photo, as if, pft.. bring it on.

Mike
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM

It makes a difference because the consensus is that no QB is worth a top 10 pick and only Geno is worth a first round pick. So, its akin to drafting Maybin when Arakpo(sp?) was available.

If the Bills take a QB at 8, immediately after the draft many will complain that they should have known better and drafted a better player -some of which will develop and meet expectations. Other will argue that the Bills should have traded down, lowered their risk by getting additional picks.

If he sucks, which is a higher probability, the critics will be even louder, "We could have had XYZ player, he was rated batter, Bills should have know, everyone else knew" "This experiment cost us 3 years and ability to draft xQB in 2014 draft that is now a stud" etc... and all of these voices will be right!

If it works, it will be seen as a genius move.

Conclusion: they should draft the player at a good position. If the Pats drafted Brady in the 1st round, they would have been ridiculed until Brady was great however, they would have also missed the opportunity to draft a great player in that years draft. Last year if the Seahawks drafted Russel in the first round, they would have missed out on Irvin (12sacks).

So the moral of the story is, draft players where you should and where you could, trade up/down as neccessary and if a player is worth it -You have him number 2 on your board and he is available at 8 while everyone else has him at 30 and no trade partners- know that: 1) either you are wrong for over evaluating him or every one else is missing something and in the Bills case number 1 is more likely.

TigerJ
04-17-2013, 08:05 PM
So Gruden thinks Nassib can't slide very well. . .

TigerJ
04-17-2013, 08:07 PM
It makes a difference because the consensus is that no QB is worth a top 10 pick and only Geno is worth a first round pick. There is no consensus on the QBs in this draft and where they should be drafted.

mrbojanglezs
04-17-2013, 08:11 PM
that was pretty boring, I have watched a few of the gruden shows, they just aren't doing it for me this year.

Typ0
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
wow that was probably the most unprofessional segment I have ever seen ... I think Joe Logan was better!

fluteflakes
04-17-2013, 10:13 PM

Jeff George was a mega bust, and Elway never played a down for the Colts, obviously the Colts drafting a QB #1 overall will never work again.

JP struggled, and it's fair to criticize the pick, but almost nobody other than Ralph and Brandon is still here that drafted and coached him. I mean you don't get better by being stuck in neutral forever, you HAVE to take risks if your a bad team, it's the only chance you get at getting better. You just hope that the risk, in the end, will pay off.

Do I think it will? I honestly have no idea at all. I think any player that is drafted in the NFL has a chance to be a good player, it's all about the coaching he receives and the effort the young man himself is willing to put forward that makes the difference. And right now both variables are complete unknowns, considering we have NO idea how well Marrone and his staffs coaching will translate to this team. And we have no idea just how much any of the guys we draft really "want it".

The draft is nothing more than a slightly educated crap shoot, every pick is a risk, and at this point, IMO, we HAVE to take a big one.

Oh, and on the video, yeah I have no faith in Gruden's ability to evaluate collegiate prospects when it comes to QB talent. There is a reason every single one he's drafted has busted. And that the only success he's had with guys are veterans that could come in and read through his complicated (even by NFL standards) terminology.

Joe Fo Sho
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Jeff George was a mega bust, and Elway never played a down for the Colts, obviously the Colts drafting a QB #1 overall will never work again.

JP struggled, and it's fair to criticize the pick, but almost nobody other than Ralph and Brandon is still here that drafted and coached him. I mean you don't get better by being stuck in neutral forever, you HAVE to take risks if your a bad team, it's the only chance you get at getting better. You just hope that the risk, in the end, will pay off.

Do I think it will? I honestly have no idea at all. I think any player that is drafted in the NFL has a chance to be a good player, it's all about the coaching he receives and the effort the young man himself is willing to put forward that makes the difference. And right now both variables are complete unknowns, considering we have NO idea how well Marrone and his staffs coaching will translate to this team. And we have no idea just how much any of the guys we draft really "want it".

The draft is nothing more than a slightly educated crap shoot, every pick is a risk, and at this point, IMO, we HAVE to take a big one.

Oh, and on the video, yeah I have no faith in Gruden's ability to evaluate collegiate prospects when it comes to QB talent. There is a reason every single one he's drafted has busted. And that the only success he's had with guys are veterans that could come in and read through his complicated (even by NFL standards) terminology.

I see what you mean, but I think we have to take the opposite approach. I don't think we're in a good enough position to take a risk with our 1st pick. We have to get talent there if we want to improve. I think we should take one of the lower risk players, and I don't see QB being one of them. That's not saying that no QB in this draft will be good, I just think they're riskier, and judging by our history, we won't get one of the good ones.

kishoph
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM

I would think he knows a little more than the "mock draft experts" such as Kiper and McShay.

sukie
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I would think he knows a little more than the "mock draft experts" such as Kiper and McShay.

So any coach in the NFL is better at grading QBs than mock draftnicks... maybe so. I was just saying Gruden is nothing special on QBs. He wasn't a groomer or developer of any QBs. Just a decent HC

RedEyE
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Horrible video. Doesn't us teach a damn thing about this kid.