DraftBoy
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Breaking now at draft luncheon

EDS
04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
No one saw that coming . . .

Ed
04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I like the move and I kind of expected this to happen. Probably makes the talk of the Bills possibly taking a Safety in the 1st round unlikely.

We need another CB though.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I hope it saves his career.

EDS
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I look forward to the intelligent discussions about how Byrd is no longer needed and how he should worry about his job security while missing non-mandatory practices . . .

Night Train
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I hope it saves his career.
He has everything but deep speed. His skill set ALWAYS screamed Safety and they finally are putting him where he should be. Hits like a load of bricks and I could see this working with some game experience.

DraftBoy
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I think the biggest issue/question is are they moving him to be a backup? He's more FS than SS at this point.

Jaybird
04-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Coming out of texas Mayock projected him as a better safety then CB. I agrere that his skill sets are more set for the position. However, i don;t see him playing in the box, therefore he woudl be 2nd to byrd on the dpeth chart

Scumbag College
04-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm fine with this, even if it means McLovin, Brooks, or even Rogers starting opposite Gilmore. Williams has been nothing but atrocious at CB since he was drafted.

mrbojanglezs
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
good move I think, we shall see. But we need another corner now

DraftBoy
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Coming out of texas Mayock projected him as a better safety then CB. I agrere that his skill sets are more set for the position. However, i don;t see him playing in the box, therefore he woudl be 2nd to byrd on the dpeth chart

Bills will use some three safety looks from Pettine, he'd be a perfect fit in that situation.

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I think the biggest issue/question is are they moving him to be a backup? He's more FS than SS at this point.

I would bet they will play him at backup FS to see how he does and use that to justify whether or not they pay Byrd. It's the Bills way.

ThunderGun
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Good. When they drafted him, I thought for sure that they would move him to Safety. I'm surprised it took them so long...

Pinkerton Security
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Good. When they drafted him, I thought for sure that they would move him to Safety. I'm surprised it took them so long...

This

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Marrone's first few months on the job will be undoing all the crap Chan did.

Don't Panic
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Bills will use some three safety looks from Pettine, he'd be a perfect fit in that situation.

That 3-3-5 would be great for him. Note sure if he ends up starting or not... but this definitely gives him a better role in this D.

OpIv37
04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Interesting timing on this announcement. I know many people have speculated on it for quite some time, but we haven't heard anyone from the team mention it until the news about Byrd not reporting broke.....

And BTW, with Williams moving and McGee retiring, we are down two corners since the season ended. McGee is washed up and had to go, and Williams was terrible at CB, so they aren't big losses in terms of talent, but this is yet another position where we lost two players and added NO ONE, over a month into FA.

PTI
04-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Aaron Williams to assume the undersized 3rd safety/LB role of Brian Scott!!!!!! Ugh

trapezeus
04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
excellent, another secondary reach in the first round when there are other positions needed namely on the OL and LB corp.

Another crappy draft is just days away.

Mouldsie
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Excellent

MTBillsFan
04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Dee Milliner please be available at 8!

BertSquirtgum
04-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Finally. Something I thought should happen and wanted to happen. I think he will be much better at safety.

kingJofNYC
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Only shot this kid has at being productive.

Once again, they go into the draft needing a corner.

YardRat
04-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Good move. Don't think this puts CB back on the board at 8, though. Definitely a mid- to late-round pick, and maybe a late FA veteran.

ServoBillieves
04-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I will now officially shut my mouth about people complaining to move him to safety. It really is a good move I just didn't see it coming. The Bills have been beat on the deep ball so many times it's sad, and this move by the FO to put Williams with the Searcy/Byrd duo makes a lot of sense.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn in to the 3 Stooges.

streetkings01
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Looks like Millner is the pick

The Jokeman
04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
excellent, another secondary reach in the first round when there are other positions needed namely on the OL and LB corp.

Another crappy draft is just days away.

Yet Scott is more of a SS type whereas Draftboy eluded AWilliams is more of a FS type. It does one CB down but am sure we can find a veteran to serve in the number 2/nickel role and maybe draft a CB in Round 5 or 7 to be a development guy.

As now our CBs depth chart looks like:

CB1 Gilmore
CB2 X
CB3 McKelvin
CB4 Brooks
CB5 Rogers
CB6 X

I could see looking to grab someone like Rashean Mathis, Cedric Griffin or Quinten Jammer to compete for the #2/3 spot with McKelvin.

BillsFever21
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Awesome. We used a 2nd round pick for a backup FS and passed on Dalton/Kapernick in the process when we needed a QB at the time. Good job Buddy.

X-Era
04-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Good move.

Tatonka
04-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Interesting timing on this announcement. I know many people have speculated on it for quite some time, but we haven't heard anyone from the team mention it until the news about Byrd not reporting broke.....

And BTW, with Williams moving and McGee retiring, we are down two corners since the season ended. McGee is washed up and had to go, and Williams was terrible at CB, so they aren't big losses in terms of talent, but this is yet another position where we lost two players and added NO ONE, over a month into FA.

are you sure we are down to three? gilmore, brooks, mclovin are three for sure.. i feel like we have another one too.

fluteflakes
04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9192qcMqQ1r47wsdo1_400.gif

coastal
04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Why is anyone complimenting this move?

there are no other options available for this kid. He can't play CB.

scouts knew it before he was even drafted.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
are you sure we are down to three? gilmore, brooks, mclovin are three for sure.. i feel like we have another one too.

He didn't say we were down to three, he said we were "down two," ie we have lost two. We still have Justin Rogers and some camp fodder along with the guys you mentioned.

mikemac2001
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
i wouldnt mind milliner with the pick depending how things fall

a little Revis/Cromatrie look out there and hopefully we have a coach who knows how to scheme to that.....

i like the move but i wish the pick was different now

BillsFever21
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Why is anyone complimenting this move?

there are no other options available for this kid. He can't play CB.

scouts knew it before he was even drafted.

Everyone but Bumbling Buddy. Two good QB's and other good players still on the board and he takes Williams to play awful CB for two years and then he gets moved to safety to back up Byrd. Just another horrendous move by Nix. How anybody can think this guy has done a good job is beyond me. Sadly there are those out there.

OpIv37
04-16-2013, 10:59 PM

I meant we are down two, meaning we lost two, not we are down to only two. Brooks is a corner so there are at least 3 on the roster. Still, we need to add more.

fluteflakes
04-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Having Justin Rogers should equal to not having anybody.

Good god our secondary was putrid last season.

SCBILLFAN1
04-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Just wait for cut down to 53. There will be a ton of older cb's with experience in Pettines system.

SCBILLFAN1
04-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Awesome. We used a 2nd round pick for a backup FS and passed on Dalton/Kapernick in the process when we needed a QB at the time. Good job Buddy.

Hindsights 20-20.

better days
04-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Having Justin Rogers should equal to not having anybody.

Good god our secondary was putrid last season.

Revis in his prime would have had a hard time on the Bills last year in that stupid defense that never put any pressure on the QB.

This year, Pettine will bring the heat which should be a big help to the secondary.