PDA

View Full Version : I'm real excited about the possibilities at WR in this draft

X-Era
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Nix talked about 3 or 4 guys into the 2nd round that look like they can fit the type we want.

Really like the looks of all 4 of these guys for the Bills:

1) Cordarelle Patterson (early to mid 1st)- Athletic monster, durable, but inexperienced
2) Keenan Allen (mid to late 1st)- Rugged baller, experienced
3) Robert Woods (late 1st to early 2nd)- Love the way he plays, good athleticism, good YAC, durable, good hands
4) Justin Hunter (2nd round)- Super athletic, good hands, but durability is something to check in on

And if we don't take Patterson in the 1st, I think Allen will go mid to the bottom of round 1 and that Woods may also be gone before our pick.

I think Hunter is the most likely WR pick for us in the 2nd.

That's into the 2nd round. There's guys later on:

Ryan Swope
Greg Childs
Da'Rick Rodgers
Aaron Mellette

A lot of strong, fast, big, athletic WR's in this class to choose from. And I really think we will draft one before Day 2 is done. If I had to guess, I'd think it would be Hunter in Round 2 but there's a real chance at Robert Woods in Round 2 as well.

The Jokeman
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Patterson is the guy I like most come draft day. Yet I wouldn't be opposed moving down and getting Allen. I'm not sold on Woods. Yet outside of Patterson and Allen there are a few other guys on my list if go with a LB or QB in Round 1. Terrence Williams is Round 2 gem to me. As to me he's hard pass on because the guy produced without RGIII and Baylor's had some good guys come out lately in Gordon and Kendell Wright. DeAndre Hopkins is also a guy I like in Round 2 but he might go at the end of Round 1. I'm not sold on Hunter but think he's good value in Round 2. Rodgers is a guy that could slide to Round 3 as his checkered background might scare teams off. Yet Aaron Dobson struggled last year but was good the year before and could be a sold guy for Round 3. One name that I like in the mid rounds that might surprise people is Corey Fuller but rather not wait for a WR that late as rather get one with our top 3 picks. Yet ideally a trade down in Round 1 that nets us a mid round pick and a day 2 or 3 pick would be ideal as let us get 4 players after Round 3 be perfect as right now think we need a QB, WR, LB in the worse way and would also be willing to take an OG like Cooper if we were drafting later in Round 1.

CleveSteve
04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm not crazy about most of those guys. I love Woods, but I'm not a big fan of Patterson or Hunter. Was watching defensive prospects yesterday and saw Hunter drop uncovered passes against Florida and NC State. Bray gets dinged a little because he supposedly benefited from having Patterson, Hunter, Da'Rick Rogers and now suddenly Zach Rogers is also a draftable receiver. What I saw watching those two games and vs. Miss St. was Bray throwing them open. Don't get me wrong, if you get the ball in Patterson's hands and get him moving he's something special, but his biggest plays are kick returns and end-arounds. When is he going to turn into a WR?

Allen I see some stuff I like and some stuff I don't.

I really like Terrance Williams, Deandre Hopkins, and Quinton Patton though. After them I like Austin, Dobson, Wheaton, Swope, Boyce, Harper, Bailey, King, M. Wilson, Lemon, and Bumphis.

Obviously, this is all JMO.

cookie G
04-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Allen may or may not have failed a drug test.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/259761/cal-wr-keenan-allen-red-flagged-for-drug-test

Basically they said there was too much water in his urine, a hint at trying to mask something.

With that said, I agree, there seems to be a good amount of talent in the WR group this year, especially into rounds 2-3. There may be enough talent left in round 4.

Taking one in round 2 should be a priority. I'd take another in the mid rounds also.

kingJofNYC
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I like the receivers too, but our front office is terrible and they'll probably muck things up. They need two receivers if you ask me, I'm not counting on TJ Graham, dude is junk.

gonzo1105
04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Patterson is the guy I like most come draft day. Yet I wouldn't be opposed moving down and getting Allen. I'm not sold on Woods. Yet outside of Patterson and Allen there are a few other guys on my list if go with a LB or QB in Round 1. Terrence Williams is Round 2 gem to me. As to me he's hard pass on because the guy produced without RGIII and Baylor's had some good guys come out lately in Gordon and Kendell Wright. DeAndre Hopkins is also a guy I like in Round 2 but he might go at the end of Round 1. I'm not sold on Hunter but think he's good value in Round 2. Rodgers is a guy that could slide to Round 3 as his checkered background might scare teams off. Yet Aaron Dobson struggled last year but was good the year before and could be a sold guy for Round 3. One name that I like in the mid rounds that might surprise people is Corey Fuller but rather not wait for a WR that late as rather get one with our top 3 picks. Yet ideally a trade down in Round 1 that nets us a mid round pick and a day 2 or 3 pick would be ideal as let us get 4 players after Round 3 be perfect as right now think we need a QB, WR, LB in the worse way and would also be willing to take an OG like Cooper if we were drafting later in Round 1.

So your sold on Patterson and his one year of experience where he dominated in only one game (Troy), and your not sold on a guy like Woods who has almost triple the college production and has dominated such teams as Oregon and Stanford.

EDS
04-17-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't know, the Bills brass is probably thinking they have alot of in-house talent already and have invested significant draft assets in recent drafts. For Buddy, he feels he has a true track speedster waiting to blossom after a mediocre first season. Then he has his ace card, in the Calvin Johnson like size-speed prospect known as Marcus Easley, who has the same attributes as Megatron minus only the durability, production, route running aptitude and hands of Megatron. Buddy wisely stashed Easley deep on the bench/injured list waiting to get a QB with the arm talent of Kolb to exploit what is sure to be a lethal air attack in Buffalo this season. Couple all this with having a wise, professional, high character leader and mentor in Steve Johnson and it is hard to imagine the young Bills wide receivers not taking flight . . .

jwenger
04-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Ryan Swope is my guy. He could be had in the 3rd round hopefully.
He is a 4.3 guy and gets open and runs good routes. Watch his tapes
he runs past defenders. This DB from Arkansas was trying to chase him
down and Swope just burned him and left him in the dust.Would love to
see him as a Bill. He made Johnny Manziel look good enough to win the Heisman.

The Jokeman
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
So your sold on Patterson and his one year of experience where he dominated in only one game (Troy), and your not sold on a guy like Woods who has almost triple the college production and has dominated such teams as Oregon and Stanford.

Denarius Moore, Robert Meachem & Donte Stallworth > Damian Williams, Mike Williams, Ronald Johnson & Patrick Turner. I realize individuals should be looked at individuals but the recent record of Tennessee WRs has been better than USC. Not to mention Coradelle Patterson is a better athlete than Woods. So yes, I look at potential and all things considered and go with the the lesser stats in this case. To claim that Patterson dominated just one game is an injustice to him. As show me another WR in this draft that can return kicks and take a handoff and score a TD as well as Patterson did last year in his only year in the NCAA. Yet he also dominated in JUCO too that people want to dismiss which is a mistake.

Night Train
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Nix talked about 3 or 4 guys into the 2nd round that look like they can fit the type we want.

Really like the looks of all 4 of these guys for the Bills:

1) Cordarelle Patterson (early to mid 1st)- Athletic monster, durable, but inexperienced
2) Keenan Allen (mid to late 1st)- Rugged baller, experienced
3) Robert Woods (late 1st to early 2nd)- Love the way he plays, good athleticism, good YAC, durable, good hands
4) Justin Hunter (2nd round)- Super athletic, good hands, but durability is something to check in on

And if we don't take Patterson in the 1st, I think Allen will go mid to the bottom of round 1 and that Woods may also be gone before our pick.

I think Hunter is the most likely WR pick for us in the 2nd.

That's into the 2nd round. There's guys later on:

Ryan Swope
Greg Childs
Da'Rick Rodgers
Aaron Mellette

A lot of strong, fast, big, athletic WR's in this class to choose from. And I really think we will draft one before Day 2 is done. If I had to guess, I'd think it would be Hunter in Round 2 but there's a real chance at Robert Woods in Round 2 as well.

#1 is too raw and may have been 1 or the 2 guys that trashed that Combine hotel room. Only did it for 1 year at Tenny.
#2 may have failed a Combine drug test.
#3,#4 would be very good picks in Round 2.

TacklingDummy
04-17-2013, 01:30 PM
1) Barkley
2) Woods

stuckincincy
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't think much of this years' bunch.

X-Era
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
#1 is too raw and may have been 1 or the 2 guys that trashed that Combine hotel room. Only did it for 1 year at Tenny.
#2 may have failed a Combine drug test.
#3,#4 would be very good picks in Round 2.
There's way too much hearsay in this assessment

jwenger
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Forgot to mention RYAN SWOPE is a helluva blocker and is no pussy
out there. He lays out LB's and CB's and enables Johnny Manziel to make
some long runs. He is all around the real deal.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Denarius Moore, Robert Meachem & Donte Stallworth > Damian Williams, Mike Williams, Ronald Johnson & Patrick Turner. I realize individuals should be looked at individuals but the recent record of Tennessee WRs has been better than USC.

I don't disagree with that, but Patterson only played one year at UT so it's hard to give them credit for developing him. It's like when people credit Wisconsin for Russell Wilson when he was already a graduate student with a bowl win and a First Team All-ACC selection under his belt before he enrolled.

If you take Patterson over Woods, you are banking on physical potential over production.

ThunderGun
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Wonderlic scores have been released for several of the top WR's:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Tavon Austin - 7
Cordarrell Paterson - 11
Justin Hunter - 12
Keenen Allen - 19
Robert Woods - 23

CleveSteve
04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Ryan Swope is my guy. He could be had in the 3rd round hopefully.
He is a 4.3 guy and gets open and runs good routes. Watch his tapes
he runs past defenders. This DB from Arkansas was trying to chase him
down and Swope just burned him and left him in the dust.Would love to
see him as a Bill. He made Johnny Manziel look good enough to win the Heisman.

Maybe even more impressively, he made Ryan Tannehill the 8th pick in the draft.

DraftBoy
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I really like the 4th-7th Round talent myself.

CleveSteve
04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
While it appears to lack that single top-end prospect, the draft depth at the position from pick 20 to the end of the draft is really loaded! Same can be said of the RB position this year.

The Jokeman
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't disagree with that, but Patterson only played one year at UT so it's hard to give them credit for developing him. It's like when people credit Wisconsin for Russell Wilson when he was already a graduate student with a bowl win and a First Team All-ACC selection under his belt before he enrolled.

If you take Patterson over Woods, you are banking on physical potential over production.

Every single prospect should be graded on potential. Why do so many people dismiss Patterson's numbers as a runner and a ST last year? He had 164 more yards from scrimmage than Woods and when you look at his kick return abilities you can see he was arguably as or more productive than Woods. Despite being #2 on the Volunteers depth chart and again it being his 1st year in the NCAA. If you want to make a valid comparison compare Patterson's numbers to Woods first year at USC and again they are better when look at more than just the receiving numbers.

The Jokeman
04-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Wonderlic scores have been released for several of the top WR's:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Tavon Austin - 7
Cordarrell Paterson - 11
Justin Hunter - 12
Keenen Allen - 19
Robert Woods - 23

http://articles.mcall.com/1996-04-24/sports/3094747_1_pick-paranoia-head-coach-ray-rhodes/2 Eric Moulds scored an 11 on the wonderlic too. I've made the comparison before and I wouldn't mind getting another Moulds type guy in Patterson but truth be told Patterson's got more wiggle to him.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Every single prospect should be graded on potential.

Obviously you have to look at a player's potential but some players have already started realizing theirs in college. When someone hasn't, you have to ask why? For Patterson, he hasn't developed his route running or catching as much as Woods has.

Why do so many people dismiss Patterson's numbers as a runner and a ST last year?

I don't think anyone's ignoring it, but we already have two great halfbacks. You have to take into account how he'd be used here, and it's not out of the backfield.

He had 164 more yards from scrimmage than Woods and when you look at his kick return abilities you can see he was arguably as or more productive than Woods.

Return ability is grossly overrated around here and I cannot understand why. It's clear the NFL is phasing out the kickoff, and if you are throwing a Top 10 pick out there to return kicks it generally means he's not being successful at his primary duty. FWIW, Woods returned kicks for the Trojans too, but he stopped when he became more valuable as a wideout.

Despite being #2 on the Volunteers depth chart and again it being his 1st year in the NCAA. If you want to make a valid comparison compare Patterson's numbers to Woods first year at USC and again they are better when look at more than just the receiving numbers.

How is comparing an 18 year old freshman to a 21 year old senior a valid comparison? For one thing, Woods' put on over 15 lbs of muscle since then. And you still have to look at Patterson's rushing stats to get the matchup in his favor.

If you like Patterson better, that's fine. But be honest about it, that opinion is based on his physical measurables. His college career wasn't as impressive as Woods'.

cookie G
04-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Forgot to mention RYAN SWOPE is a helluva blocker and is no pussy
out there. He lays out LB's and CB's and enables Johnny Manziel to make
some long runs. He is all around the real deal.

He also breaks tackles pretty well. He can use his agility to not allow a db to get a clean shot on him, and is strong enough to break through an arm tackle. Apparently, some scouts didn't realize he was 6'0" and over 200 lbs.

He could definitely be a weapon and I think he's moved himself into the 2nd.

The Jokeman
04-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Obviously you have to look at a player's potential but some players have already started realizing theirs in college. When someone hasn't, you have to ask why? For Patterson, he hasn't developed his route running or catching as much as Woods has.

I don't think anyone's ignoring it, but we already have two great halfbacks. You have to take into account how he'd be used here, and it's not out of the backfield.

Return ability is grossly overrated around here and I cannot understand why. It's clear the NFL is phasing out the kickoff, and if you are throwing a Top 10 pick out there to return kicks it generally means he's not being successful at his primary duty. FWIW, Woods returned kicks for the Trojans too, but he stopped when he became more valuable as a wideout.

How is comparing an 18 year old freshman to a 21 year old senior a valid comparison? For one thing, Woods' put on over 15 lbs of muscle since then. And you still have to look at Patterson's rushing stats to get the matchup in his favor.

If you like Patterson better, that's fine. But be honest about it, that opinion is based on his physical measurables. His college career wasn't as impressive as Woods'.

You have seen Patterson's JUCO numbers right? The guy is a phenom talent. I get people want to dismiss him as a one year wonder but he's not. He excelled at Juco and did remarkable things as a Junior last year. The reason I bring up Patterson's rushing stats as it's a display that the Vols wanted to get the ball in Patterson's hands because he's a dynamic play maker as evident by his stats. The guy had 8 TDs on 71 plays and averaged 15.3 yards per play from scrimmage by comparison Woods had 11 TDs on 75 plays and averaged 12.3 yards per play and again Patterson wasn't even the focus of the Volunteer's passing game and was his first year in that offense. If he was more experienced and/or targeted more was he would have shredded Woods' numbers instead they're close. Toss in he's faster and bigger than Woods All this and Woods played with a better QB (by NFL standards) Barkley vs Bray. So that's why I'd call Patterson's name before Woods.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-18-2013, 11:55 PM
You have seen Patterson's JUCO numbers right? The guy is a phenom talent. I get people want to dismiss him as a one year wonder but he's not. He excelled at Juco and did remarkable things as a Junior last year.

JUCO numbers don't mean anything to me. If you are a scholarship athlete at an SEC school you should be running circles around JUCO kids.

The reason I bring up Patterson's rushing stats as it's a display that the Vols wanted to get the ball in Patterson's hands because he's a dynamic play maker as evident by his stats.

Yes, it could also be an indication that he was struggling with running routes, so they handed the ball off because it was easier.

The guy had 8 TDs on 71 plays and averaged 15.3 yards per play from scrimmage by comparison Woods had 11 TDs on 75 plays and averaged 12.3 yards per play and again Patterson wasn't even the focus of the Volunteer's passing game and was his first year in that offense.

Woods was not the focus of USC's offense either, that would be Marquise Lee.

If he was more experienced and/or targeted more was he would have shredded Woods' numbers instead they're close.

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle. The fact remains that he isn't more experienced and that's the entire point. He could develop into an elite wideout or he could remain a raw physical specimen. You know pretty much what you are getting with Woods. Patterson has the higher ceiling but Woods has the much higher floor.

Prov401
04-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Give me Da'Rick Rogers in the late 2nd (trade down if possible), or in the 3rd round.

Prov401
04-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Ryan Swope is high on my list as well. Him or Rogers in the 3rd, and I'll be pretty happy.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2013, 04:23 AM
hunter, darick rogers, dobson are the big wrs i would like in rd 2... or 3