PDA

View Full Version : Draft nugget from Daniel Jeremiah of NFLN

Ginger Vitis
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
"Im hearing the Bills are not completely married to drafting Ryan Nassib in the 2nd Round. More than one source not affiliated with the Bills has told me the Bills are very interested in Matt Barkley in the 2nd round"

YardRat
04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't think anybody claimed the team was 'married' to Nassib in the second anyway.

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 09:16 PM
The most troubling part in all this is that Nix supposedly is willing to gamble and wait until pick 41 to take a QB.

There will most likely be a run of QBs in the late first/early second and we could be looking at a scenario where the guys we like are gone.

i really think we will draft a QB at 8. Nix said that he thinks there are 2 or 3 guys that can be franchise guys and there is definitely a QB good enough to go at 8.

So if he thinks someone is good enough to be a franchise guy, then why not take him at 8 and avoid the risk of losing out before our 2nd pick?

THRILLHO
04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
They simply will not be there at #41.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Wait till next year and get a real qb. This years crop is crap. We will be in top 10 again next year anyway

feldspar
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
The most troubling part in all this is that Nix supposedly is willing to gamble and wait until pick 41 to take a QB.

There will most likely be a run of QBs in the late first/early second and we could be looking at a scenario where the guys we like are gone.

i really think we will draft a QB at 8. Nix said that he thinks there are 2 or 3 guys that can be franchise guys and there is definitely a QB good enough to go at 8.

So if he thinks someone is good enough to be a franchise guy, then why not take him at 8 and avoid the risk of losing out before our 2nd pick?

Well, nobody REALLY has an idea what the Bills are thinking about that except them.

If Nix said something like "we are GOING to pick a QB in round 1" or "we are GOING to pick a QB in round 2," he'd be a hell of a lot stupider than his worst detractors think, which is saying something. That would be unforgivably stupid, and nobody would do that unless they were picking first overall. Other teams are planning on picking QBs too, and I'm pretty sure everyone knows that, including the Bills.

mjt328
04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Connect the dots...

Buddy has stated many times that he hates trading away picks. So I see a trade up from #41 very unlikely.

Odds are that several QBs will be gone by our 2nd pick. Geno will likely go in the Top 5. Other teams drafting between #8-41 that could be looking QB include Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Arizona, Cleveland, NY Jets and apparently even Tampa Bay.

Here is the key. Buddy said 2-3 guys could be franchise caliber. If we get the 5th or 6th QB off the board, he will look like a fool. Nobody will really believe he got his man, no matter what he says.

I'm sure the ideal plan is trading back from #8, even if it only means adding a late round pick. But at this point I will be very surprised if we don't go QB with our first choice.

Bangarang
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Wait till next year and get a real qb. This years crop is crap. We will be in top 10 again next year anyway

So you already know how next year's QBs will play and which will declare? Cool trick.

Novacane
04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
So you already know how next year's QBs will play and which will declare? Cool trick.

Sure would be nice to know the future like half of the guys on this site do!

X-Era
04-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Connect the dots...

Buddy has stated many times that he hates trading away picks. So I see a trade up from #41 very unlikely.

Odds are that several QBs will be gone by our 2nd pick. Geno will likely go in the Top 5. Other teams drafting between #8-41 that could be looking QB include Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Arizona, Cleveland, NY Jets and apparently even Tampa Bay.

Here is the key. Buddy said 2-3 guys could be franchise caliber. If we get the 5th or 6th QB off the board, he will look like a fool. Nobody will really believe he got his man, no matter what he says.

I'm sure the ideal plan is trading back from #8, even if it only means adding a late round pick. But at this point I will be very surprised if we don't go QB with our first choice.They're not married to him in the 2nd because we'll probably take him at 8.

swiper
04-17-2013, 05:28 AM

Panic much? There will be multiple of these garbage QBs available at #41 even if there is a 'run' prior to that. There isn't one prospect that is head and shoulders above another. If Nassib and Barkley are gone they will take Wilson or Bray. :shoulder shrug:

Taking a QB from this class with the #8 pick is pure stupidity.

Fixxxer
04-17-2013, 05:40 AM

We don't have a QB, therefore draft a QB until you find a franchise QB.

DraftBoy
04-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Barkley in Round 2 is a hell of a lot better than Barkley at 8.

swiper
04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
We don't have a QB, therefore draft a QB until you find a franchise QB.

How many season back do you think they should have started this strategy? It's about a dozen years late at this point. At least Marv and Donahoe tried once each. They failed, sadly.

Fixxxer
04-17-2013, 06:40 AM
How many season back do you think they should have started this strategy? It's about a dozen years late at this point. At least Marv and Donahoe tried once each. They failed, sadly.

Better late than never.

don137
04-17-2013, 06:49 AM
I would not be surprised to see Buffalo trade back a few picks in round 1 and then trade up in round 2. They don't have to trade into round one but do have to trade up to early second round

coastal
04-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Connect the dots...

Buddy has stated many times that he hates trading away picks.it would be awful to miss out on an Alex Carrington or TJ Graham.

swiper
04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Better late than never.

Again, where's the outrage at Ralph Wilson for hiring people who didn't start looking three drafts back? NOW? Nix and Brandon wait until they fire yet another staff and want to draft a franchise QB out of the worst draft class for that in years.

EDS
04-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Again, where's the outrage at Ralph Wilson for hiring people who didn't start looking three drafts back? NOW? Nix and Brandon wait until they fire yet another staff and want to draft a franchise QB out of the worst draft class for that in years.

Enough ink has been spilled on the incompetence of hiring Buddy in the first place there is little need to rehash those arguments now.

DesertFox24
04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
None of the three (Smith, Barkley, Nassib) will be available with the first pick in the second round. Nix is going to have to reach at 8 to get his guy, that is the bottom line. He has stated several times that when it comes to QB you have to take them a round earlier than you grade them as anyway.

Additionally with Nix's history of being very reluctant to trade up I highly doubt he would trade from 41 to the bottom of the first because he would have to give up 2 picks this year and a high one next year.

TRANSLATION - NO WAY IN HECK DOES HE DO THAT

Personally the Tavon Austin talk was in my opinion to intice a team around 15 or lower to trade up with them. I think they believe they will be able to trade back a little in order to get their guy, but that is a big gamble.

SCBILLFAN1
04-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Too many scenarios that would play out better than reaching for a QB at 8.
I know we need a franchise qb but I would prefer a trade down or drafting a pass rushing demon (if one is available). The best trade would be with Minnesota for their 2 firsts but that probably ain't gonna happen with this years draftees.

better days
04-17-2013, 08:05 AM

Barkley is no better at 41 than he would be at #8. His arm is what it is, it won't improve because he is drafted later. After his Pro day, the experts are saying he is a 3rd or 4th rnd pick. Even Mike Florio who had him going in the 1st, said he was surprised at how bad Barkley did on his Pro day & moved him down to the 3rd or 4th.

As I have been saying for a LONG time, Nix has 3 guys in this draft that he thinks are Franchise QBs. I expect him to draft one of them in the first round.

pmoon6
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
it would be awful to miss out on an Alex Carrington or TJ Graham.Nothing wrong with Carrington, he has improved and is decent D-Line depth.

T.J. Graham, we still don't know.

Bill Cody
04-17-2013, 08:56 AM
To really nail the draft you have you know you stuff but you also need stones. Drafting a QB we rate 2nd round at 8 isn't what I'd call gutsy. After the Jets you could go over 20 picks before another QB gets called. And we only have 6 picks to start with. Can we afford to do the JP Losman trade back into the 1st scheme again. I say no way. If Geno is there draft him at 8. Otherwise grow a pair and trade down 15-20 spots.

The Jokeman
04-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Stop trying to teach some people value based drafting, they may never get the concept.

Mouldsie
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
it would be awful to miss out on an Alex Carrington or TJ Graham.
We traded up for TJ Graham.

I remember the trade... I got real excited thinking it would be Russel Wilson or Kirk Cousins

Bert102176
04-17-2013, 10:16 PM
With as many years as this team has failed to get winning talent on the field it will take more then one years draft to make this team a contender get some key pieces of the puzzle this year the rest next year and hope that johnny football comes out next year but if he sees the bills with the number 1 picks I bet he will stay in school.

better days
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Stop trying to teach some people value based drafting, they may never get the concept.

Value based drafting is the reason the Bills still NEED a QB. NICE CONCEPT............................UNLESS YOU NEED A QB.