PDA

View Full Version : Nix dismisses guard talk

swiper
04-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2013-04-16T23:26:08-0400"> April 16, 2013 – 11:26 pm </abbr>

Recent mock drafts by ESPN’s Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both had one of the top two guards projected to the Bills in their respective mock drafts. However, Bills GM Buddy Nix didn’t sound all that anxious to take North Carolina’s Jonathan Cooper or Alabama’s Chance Warmack with the eighth overall pick despite his respect for the skill sets of those players.

When asked if the free agent losses of Andy Levitre and Chad Rinehart left them in a situation where they felt compelled to take one of the top two guards, who many feel are fitting of top 10 value, Nix said he did not.

“Not at all. Not at all,” said Nix. ”I know people have said we’re taking one of those top two guards. Our roster in house is better than I think we get credit for especially offensive line. We’re pretty deep there. We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play. Now having said all that before you write that we’re not going to take a guard at number eight, it’s hard to pass up two players like the old boy at Alabama and the kid at North Carolina. Both of those are great players so you have to give that a lot of thought when they come up.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/16/nix-dismisses-guard-talk/

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 07:47 AM
I hope he's being truthful.

better days
04-17-2013, 07:53 AM
"Our roster in house is better than I think we get credt for especially offensive line." I agree with Nix on that. And you don't draft a guard in the top 10 either.

sukie
04-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Have we witnessed a lucid moment from our friend Buddy?

coastal
04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
2-14

yeah!!!!!!

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
2-14

yeah!!!!!!

How many more wins is a guard going to get us?

Bill Cody
04-17-2013, 08:45 AM
2-14

yeah!!!!!!

This post is an imbecile! Yeah!!!!!!

Bangarang
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM

coastal
04-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Ask Mike Iupati **** for brains.

justasportsfan
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM

so without Iupati the 9'ers go 2-14?

Pinkerton Security
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Mike Iupati is definitely the sole reason they are that much better.

How does this a-hole not get banned? He brings nothing to the table.

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM

You mad, bro?

coastal
04-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Oh... The bannings!!!!

look... Draft 200 pound guys all you want and talk about safeties and DBs till the cows come home.

one of the simple truisms of this sport... the game is won and lost in the trenches and we just lost our best guard and a more than capable backup.

2-14

coastal
04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
You mad, bro?
Yup.

Sick of the stupidity and watching crap.

cookie G
04-17-2013, 09:10 AM

I love these questions.

Quick...

How many more games did Gilmore win us?
Dareus?
Spiller?
Maybin?
McLovin?

For some reason, the "how many more games will he win us?" schtick only applies when drafting interior linemen.

justasportsfan
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
the game is won and lost in the trenches and we just lost our best guard and a more than capable backup.

2-14

did the bills go 2-14 the year before we drafted Levitre?

coastal
04-17-2013, 09:16 AM
did the bills go 2-14 the year before we drafted Levitre?
A mental trap!!!

Run away!

jamze132
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
"Our roster in house is better than I think we get credt for especially offensive line." I agree with Nix on that. And you don't draft a guard in the top 10 either.

Agreed.

Mr. Miyagi
04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play.
Then why do we have the other 4 if they can't play?

ServoBillieves
04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
That response sounds like talking to a drunk Bills fan in South Carolina... what the hell? "We got them there guards we like who couple them can play" Cannot wait until he's gone.

Skooby
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
If we draft in the 8th spot, whoever it is better start game 1.

GingerP
04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
That response sounds like talking to a drunk Bills fan in South Carolina... what the hell? "We got them there guards we like who couple them can play" Cannot wait until he's gone.

Who are the couple that can play?

Have to figure Urbik is one. Does that mean David Snow is the other starter? Colin Brown?

I guess he thinks they have some hidden gems in there, but from the outside it looks like interior OL is a pretty big need.

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I love these questions.

Quick...

Dareus?
Spiller?
Maybin?
McLovin?

For some reason, the "how many more games will he win us?" schtick only applies when drafting interior linemen.

That was my point, guy. I was asking a ridiculous question because someone was making a ridiculous proposition that we're going to go 2-14 because we 'may' not draft a guard at 8. There are several other reasons why this team could go 2-14.

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Yup.

Sick of the stupidity and watching crap.

Stupidity? Like letting our best guard leave via free agency and then drafting his replacement with the 8th overall pick? That would be terrible. If we were going to do that, why wouldn't we overpay (by Bills standards) for Levitre and effectively gain the 8th overall pick in this years draft?

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Our roster in house is better than I think we get credit for especially offensive line.

I seem to recall Nix saying pretty much the exact same thing a couple years back...

He obviously wasn't right then... What's so different that he'd be right this time? I certainly don't see it.

-Bill

better days
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
I seem to recall Nix saying pretty much the exact same thing a couple years back...

He obviously wasn't right then... What's so different that he'd be right this time? I certainly don't see it.

-Bill

I don't believe he did say that before now, and if he had said that a couple years ago, there would be proof he did on this board in the form of posts mocking that statement by Nix then.

Novacane
04-17-2013, 12:01 PM

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 12:02 PM
I don't believe he did say that before now, and if he had said that a couple years ago, there would be proof he did on this board in the form of posts mocking that statement by Nix then.

From April, 2011... http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/27/2135492/bills-draft-rumors-2011-buddy-nix

""We've got a lot of needs," Nix said Tuesday. "We've got better players than people think we have, but we're not as deep as we'd like to be. We're very thin on defense, and we need some impact players over there." Just as they did in 2010, expect them to really emphasize depth, particularly at building-block positions.

I'm sure there are others, as well. Here's a quote from his introductory Press Conference: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4785461

"It doesn't matter what kind of splash we make today. What matters is two years and three years down the road, if we have this thing turned around in the right direction and we're winning," Nix said. "I know before I'm asked this, you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away."

Yet, here we are, three years later and some would argue that the Bills are farther away now than they were when he was hired.

-Bill

better days
04-17-2013, 12:36 PM
From April, 2011... http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/27/2135492/bills-draft-rumors-2011-buddy-nix

I'm sure there are others, as well. Here's a quote from his introductory Press Conference: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4785461

Yet, here we are, three years later and some would argue that the Bills are farther away now than they were when he was hired.

-Bill

Yeah, well some idiots think the Bills will win 2 games this year. If they are proved right then the Bills are WORSE now than before Nix was hired. From the time he was hired, Nix has IMPROVED this team & outside "experts" recognize that fact.

You bolded "we've got better players" but you should have also bolded "We've got lots of needs".

The team is MUCH BETTER today than when Nix was hired. Coaching was the problem last year & if Marrone can't win at least 6 games this year he needs to be fired as a Failed Coach next year.

coastal
04-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, well some idiots think the Bills will win 2 games this year. If they are proved right then the Bills are WORSE now than before Nix was hired. From the time he was hired, Nix has IMPROVED this team & outside "experts" recognize that fact.

You bolded "we've got better players" but you should have also bolded "We've got lots of needs".

The team is MUCH BETTER today than when Nix was hired. Coaching was the problem last year & if Marrone can't win at least 6 games this year he needs to be fired as a Failed Coach next year.
:rofl:

trapezeus
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
do you trust his assessment on the depth? he's taken OL in late rounds and those guys aren't with the team. Wang, etc, got cut early and never came back. and these were his 4th and later picks on OL.

The ones he took early were the good ones. they got some production from free agent guys, but to me, you want a high quality line. they can make average qb's good. good qb's behind bad lines don't always survive.

better days
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
do you trust his assessment on the depth? he's taken OL in late rounds and those guys aren't with the team. Wang, etc, got cut early and never came back. and these were his 4th and later picks on OL.

The ones he took early were the good ones. they got some production from free agent guys, but to me, you want a high quality line. they can make average qb's good. good qb's behind bad lines don't always survive.

Sounds to me like you are making a good case for Kolb. The Bills OL will be MUCH better than any Kolb has played behind.

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Year before Nix became GM: Bills finished 6-10
The three years Nix has been GM: Bills finished 4-12, 6-10 and 6-10

Doesn't look like improvement to me... At best, it's treading water. Improvement, to me, would be winning more games than before. That is yet to happen.

...And, why do the Bills STILL have the SAME NEEDS that they did when Nix was named GM? You're telling me that, in three drafts, Nix couldn't find a quarterback or a linebacker worth a damn? Letting the good players that you do draft walk (Levitre) letting their backups walk (Rinehart) and not doing a damn thing about it, except saying "We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play."

Nix's problem is, the games are what actually matter, not what he thinks.

The team is MUCH BETTER today than when Nix was hired.

Again, how? They're still at the same 6-10 mark that they were when Nix was brought in. They haven't gotten one game better in the win-loss column... The columns that actually count.

Coaching was the problem last year & if Marrone can't win at least 6 games this year he needs to be fired as a Failed Coach next year.

You wanna blame coaching, well, who hired the coach? That was Nix, too. My guess is, if Brandon wasn't worried about selling tickets, Gailey would still be coach today, because it's pretty common knowledge that Nix wanted to keep him.

As for Marrone, so you're saying it's OK for him to have the EXACT SAME RECORD that the Bills have had for the past two years? In what world is that considered "progress"?

Hilarious that you're already willing to blame coaching, wanting to fire Marrone after one year, yet Nix gets a free pass for the 4th consecutive year.

-Bill

cookie G
04-17-2013, 02:08 PM
That was my point, guy. I was asking a ridiculous question because someone was making a ridiculous proposition that we're going to go 2-14 because we 'may' not draft a guard at 8. There are several other reasons why this team could go 2-14.

Maybe Coastal was referring to a little more than just not drafting a guard at 8.

Nix was also talking about having our guard on the roster already.

Hmm...many said, "Don't pay Levitre all that money, you can find someone in free agency for a lot less".

Of course, that didn't happen.

Then there was the "we can draft one".

That doesn't sound like its going to happen, not before the 4th or 5th round at least.

OK, so who's the replacement for your best Olineman?

There are the guys on the roster.

Colin Brown, the 27 year old who's started 2 games in his career.

David Snow, the UDFA who might have been ranked in the top 40 of guards in last year's class last year.

Or Sanders..the OT who fell to the 5th round because he got beat up by DT's at the Senior Bowl, and who is now coming off double hip surgery.

So much for the replacing Levitre with a near quality replacement.

Sounds a lot like 2009, when both starting tackles were jettisoned, and we heard how much they liked D. Bell and Kirk Chambers.

cookie G
04-17-2013, 02:10 PM

-Bill

Show me the baby!

This is about the longest gestation period in history. The miscarriages every three years don't help.

Maybe they should consider a surrogate.

stuckincincy
04-17-2013, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=cookie G;3779182

This is about the longest gestation period in history.
[/QUOTE]

:D:

justasportsfan
04-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Marrone himself will be suiting up at guard. Where have you been?

Joe Fo Sho
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Maybe Coastal was referring to a little more than just not drafting a guard at 8.

Hmm...many said, "Don't pay Levitre all that money, you can find someone in free agency for a lot less".

Of course, that didn't happen.

Then there was the "we can draft one".

That doesn't sound like its going to happen, not before the 4th or 5th round at least.

OK, so who's the replacement for your best Olineman?

There are the guys on the roster.

Colin Brown, the 27 year old who's started 2 games in his career.

David Snow, the UDFA who might have been ranked in the top 40 of guards in last year's class last year.

Or Sanders..the OT who fell to the 5th round because he got beat up by DT's at the Senior Bowl, and who is now coming off double hip surgery.

So much for the replacing Levitre with a near quality replacement.

Sounds a lot like 2009, when both starting tackles were jettisoned, and we heard how much they liked D. Bell and Kirk Chambers.

I would've been fine if we 'overpaid' for Levitre. I am fine that we let him go.

My problem would be if Nix drafted a guard at 8 because he thought that guard is our biggest need, instead of resigning Levitre. That is the truest definition of a wasted 1st round pick in my eyes. I try not to get upset about the Bills transactions unless they don't make logical sense to me. Drafting a guard at 8 makes no sense to me, because we just let one of the top ones (arguably) in the league go.

CoolBreeze
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
If we draft in the 8th spot, whoever it is better start game 1.

Agreed, very well said sir!

better days
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Year before Nix became GM: Bills finished 6-10
The three years Nix has been GM: Bills finished 4-12, 6-10 and 6-10

Doesn't look like improvement to me... At best, it's treading water. Improvement, to me, would be winning more games than before. That is yet to happen.

...And, why do the Bills STILL have the SAME NEEDS that they did when Nix was named GM? You're telling me that, in three drafts, Nix couldn't find a quarterback or a linebacker worth a damn? Letting the good players that you do draft walk (Levitre) letting their backups walk (Rinehart) and not doing a damn thing about it, except saying "We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play."

Nix's problem is, the games are what actually matter, not what he thinks.

Again, how? They're still at the same 6-10 mark that they were when Nix was brought in. They haven't gotten one game better in the win-loss column... The columns that actually count.

You wanna blame coaching, well, who hired the coach? That was Nix, too. My guess is, if Brandon wasn't worried about selling tickets, Gailey would still be coach today, because it's pretty common knowledge that Nix wanted to keep him.

As for Marrone, so you're saying it's OK for him to have the EXACT SAME RECORD that the Bills have had for the past two years? In what world is that considered "progress"?

Hilarious that you're already willing to blame coaching, wanting to fire Marrone after one year, yet Nix gets a free pass for the 4th consecutive year.

-Bill

Nix had to gut the roster when he was hired. Compare the roster, not the records from the time Nix was hired to now. The Bills should have shown IMPROVEMENT last year. The fact they didn't is the reason Chan was fired. This team sould be at least 8-8 & flirting with the playoffs as it should have also done last year. That is why I say Marrone needs to win AT LEAST 6 games to get a 2nd season IMO.

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Nix had to gut the roster when he was hired. Compare the roster, not the records from the time Nix was hired to now. The Bills should have shown IMPROVEMENT last year. The fact they didn't is the reason Chan was fired. This team sould be at least 8-8 & flirting with the playoffs as it should have also done last year. That is why I say Marrone needs to win AT LEAST 6 games to get a 2nd season IMO.

The Win-Loss record is what counts. They don't hand the Lombardi Trophy to what is perceived to be the "best roster."

That's why they play the football games... To see who the best team is.

"Nix had to gut the roster," my ass. The guy has failed to address the three main holes that were on this team when he got here (Quarterback, Linebacker and Offensive Line). In many people's opinions, there are more holes now than there were in 2010. Offensive guard, Wide Receiver and Cornerback say hello.

At QB, he's drafted ONE guy in the 7th round and handed Trent Edwards' backup a $60 million contract, because he had a few good games against bad teams.

At LB, he let Paul Pozluszny go. Say what you will about Poz, but he's still likley better than any LB currently on the Bills roster.

On the OL, when they finally did get one that looked respectable, Nix let Levitre (arguably, the best and most versatile player on that line) go because they didn't want to pay him. On top of that, he let one of the Bills' better backup OL go and his answer to both seems to be "Well, we got guys on the roster that we think can play." If they're so good, why weren't they playing before?

Another perfect example is Aaron Williams. Damn near everyone knew that he'd have to be a safety in order to cut it in the NFL... Everyone, that is, except Buddy Nix. Williams was taken in the second round in 2011... The two players taken immediately after him? Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick.

IMO, Nix is one step above what he should be. He's a good scout, but that's about it. Good GM's can "gut the roster" and rebuild a team very quickly these days... In some cases, it's been done in one offseason.

So, how many more mulligans does Buddy Nix get, before you start to think he might not be as good as a GM as you seem to think he is?

-Bill

GingerP
04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
If the roster was much better, they would have won more than 6 games.

Blame the coaching all you want, but it isn't like Gailey replaced Amos Alonzo Stagg. Jauron managed to win 7 games a year, so you would think Gailey would do better than he did if the talent was better. He didn't, because the team lacked the talent to win.

swiper
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I love these questions.

Quick...

Dareus?
Spiller?
Maybin?
McLovin?

Glad you brought up Dareus. I felt like when he got drafted that Buddy was backed into a corner - he was clearly the best player on the board at that point and if Nix had drafted anyone else he would have recieved never-ending grief. I hope someone like that falls to #8 and puts Buddy in a situation where he'd be a fool to draft anyone but that player.

swiper
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
If the roster was much better, they would have won more than 6 games.

Blame the coaching all you want, but it isn't like Gailey replaced Amos Alonzo Stagg. Jauron managed to win 7 games a year, so you would think Gailey would do better than he did if the talent was better. He didn't, because the team lacked the talent to win.

It was the ill-fated combination of Gailey with Fitzpatrick. If you took last year's team and put, for example, Cowher and Roethlisberger in their spots - that's a winning team.

better days
04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
The Win-Loss record is what counts. They don't hand the Lombardi Trophy to what is perceived to be the "best roster."

That's why they play the football games... To see who the best team is.

"Nix had to gut the roster," my ass. The guy has failed to address the three main holes that were on this team when he got here (Quarterback, Linebacker and Offensive Line). In many people's opinions, there are more holes now than there were in 2010. Offensive guard, Wide Receiver and Cornerback say hello.

At QB, he's drafted ONE guy in the 7th round and handed Trent Edwards' backup a $60 million contract, because he had a few good games against bad teams.

At LB, he let Paul Pozluszny go. Say what you will about Poz, but he's still likley better than any LB currently on the Bills roster.

On the OL, when they finally did get one that looked respectable, Nix let Levitre (arguably, the best and most versatile player on that line) go because they didn't want to pay him. On top of that, he let one of the Bills' better backup OL go and his answer to both seems to be "Well, we got guys on the roster that we think can play." If they're so good, why weren't they playing before?

Another perfect example is Aaron Williams. Damn near everyone knew that he'd have to be a safety in order to cut it in the NFL... Everyone, that is, except Buddy Nix. Williams was taken in the second round in 2011... The two players taken immediately after him? Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick.

IMO, Nix is one step above what he should be. He's a good scout, but that's about it. Good GM's can "gut the roster" and rebuild a team very quickly these days... In some cases, it's been done in one offseason.

So, how many more mulligans does Buddy Nix get, before you start to think he might not be as good as a GM as you seem to think he is?

-Bill

The HC, NOT the GM determines what position a player plays & how much he plays. So You can blame Williams on Chan & Wanny I guess, but the Bills had Wilson at safety. The fact Williams is on the roster was probably a factor in releasing Wilson this year. You know what your opinion & a dollar will buy you? The same thing a dollar alone will.

You tell us what GM rebuilt a team in one season. And if Marrone fails to win at least 6 games & is not fired, THEN I will call for the head of Nix as well as Marrone.

coastal
04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I would've been fine if we 'overpaid' for Levitre. I am fine that we let him go.

My problem would be if Nix drafted a guard at 8 because he thought that guard is our biggest need, instead of resigning Levitre. That is the truest definition of a wasted 1st round pick in my eyes. I try not to get upset about the Bills transactions unless they don't make logical sense to me. Drafting a guard at 8 makes no sense to me, because we just let one of the top ones (arguably) in the league go.
So the mistake of letting our best offensive linemen go can't be corrected, because it admits what?

it was a mistake?

correct the mistake.

and correct me if Im wrong, but an 8th overall pick is cheaper than $8 mil/year. We could use that money to sign anothe player.

that is... if there were even a plan to begin with.

oh wait... what does Russ' analytics money8ball show?

swiper
04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
So the mistake of letting our best offensive linemen go can't be corrected, because it admits what?

it was a mistake?

correct the mistake.

and correct me if Im wrong, but an 8th overall pick is cheaper than $8 mil/year. We could use that money to sign anothe player.

that is... if there were even a plan to begin with.

oh wait... what does Russ' analytics money8ball show?

You continue to make this nonsensical argument. Levitre wasn't a high 1st round draft choice. His replacement doesn't have to be either. Let the Redskins draft Warmack and pay him Dockery-type money. We can get a guard in the 3rd round.

better days
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Oh... The bannings!!!!

look... Draft 200 pound guys all you want and talk about safeties and DBs till the cows come home.

one of the simple truisms of this sport... the game is won and lost in the trenches and we just lost our best guard and a more than capable backup.

2-14

I felt like a man ALONE on an Island calling for the Bills to keep Levitre. Now that he is GONE, it seems a few others have joined me on my Island.

coastal
04-17-2013, 05:09 PM
You continue to make this nonsensical argument. Levitre wasn't a high 1st round draft choice. His replacement doesn't have to be either. Let the Redskins draft Warmack and pay him Dockery-type money. We can get a guard in the 3rd round.
Hey Swiper... U do realize we traded up to get Levitre?

and in doing so gave up another pick.

by some reports, Warmack stands to be even better than Levitre.

coastal
04-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I felt like a man ALONE on an Island calling for the Bills to keep Levitre. Now that he is GONE, it seems a few others have joined me on my Island.
You aren't all that.

Back down.

better days
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Hey Swiper... U do realize we traded up to get Levitre?

and in doing so gave up another pick.

by some reports, Warmack stands to be even better than Levitre.

As much as I like Levitre & wanted the Bills to keep him, he was the 51st pick in the draft, not the #8. What makes you think the Bills would pay to keep Warmack when they didn't pay to keep Levitre? It would be a WASTED pick IMO to draft a guy at #8 that you don't plan to keep.

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
The HC, NOT the GM determines what position a player plays & how much he plays. So You can blame Williams on Chan & Wanny I guess, but the Bills had Wilson at safety. The fact Williams is on the roster was probably a factor in releasing Wilson this year. You know what your opinion & a dollar will buy you? The same thing a dollar alone will.

Again, who hired the head coach? On top of that, Nix drafted Williams as a CORNERBACK, not a safety, when damn near everyone else in the NFL said Williams wasn't good enough to be a CB in the league. Another classic example of the Bills Front Office thinking that they are smarter than everyone else. In typical Bills fashion, it's blown up in their face.

Most likely, even if Williams converts to andequate Safety, that will probably just serve as another arrow in the Bills quiver to explain why Byrd won't be re-signed.

You tell us what GM rebuilt a team in one season. And if Marrone fails to win at least 6 games & is not fired, THEN I will call for the head of Nix as well as Marrone.

Jeff Ireland, GM, Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins finished 1-15 in 2007. Ireland was hired following that season and in 2008, the Dolphins won the AFC East.

Ryan Grigson, GM, Indianapolis Colts. The Colts were 2-14 in 2011. In 2012, they fiinished with an 11-5 record and made the playoffs.

There's two right off the top of my head. Yet, Buddy's had three years and is yet to get the Bills over the 6-10 mark.

You're delusional if you think that they're gonna can Marrone after one season, regardless of the Bills' record. The only thing that might happen is Nix retiring, perhaps after the draft or after the season... And, there's no guarantee of that happening, either.

-Bill

better days
04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Again, who hired the head coach? On top of that, Nix drafted Williams as a CORNERBACK, not a safety, when damn near everyone else in the NFL said Williams wasn't good enough to be a CB in the league. Another classic example of the Bills Front Office thinking that they are smarter than everyone else. In typical Bills fashion, it's blown up in their face.

Most likely, even if Williams converts to andequate Safety, that will probably just serve as another arrow in the Bills quiver to explain why Byrd won't be re-signed.

Jeff Ireland, GM, Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins finished 1-15 in 2007. Ireland was hired following that season and in 2008, the Dolphins won the AFC East.

Ryan Grigson, GM, Indianapolis Colts. The Colts were 2-14 in 2011. In 2012, they fiinished with an 11-5 record and made the playoffs.

There's two right off the top of my head. Yet, Buddy's had three years and is yet to get the Bills over the 6-10 mark.

You're delusional if you think that they're gonna can Marrone after one season, regardless of the Bills' record. The only thing that might happen is Nix retiring, perhaps after the draft or after the season... And, there's no guarantee of that happening, either.

-Bill

Nix drafted Williams PERIOD. He had NO SAY what position Gailey played him at.

And what BETTER options did Nix have at that time for HC? NOBODY wanted to come to Buffalo at that time..............well except for Brian Billick, but NOBODY has offered him a job since he was FIRED.

Ireland.............................Had fans calling for his firing MUCH moreso than nix has had until last year....................when he hired a Decent HC & Drafted a QB.

Grigson........................LUCKED into the first pick when Luck was available in the draft.

We will see what happens this year for the Bills & Nix. Like I said if Marrone doesn't produce I will join Op & everyone else calling for Nix's head.

BLeonard
04-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Nix drafted Williams PERIOD. He had NO SAY what position Gailey played him at.

You don't think he discussed it with Gailey first? Most GM's and HC's would talk about that sort of thing.

And what BETTER options did Nix have at that time for HC? NOBODY wanted to come to Buffalo at that time..............well except for Brian Billick, but NOBODY has offered him a job since he was FIRED.

Remind me, what was Chan Gailey doing again, when Nix and the Bills came calling? Hell, at least Billick had a job in football at the time.

Ireland.............................Had fans calling for his firing MUCH moreso than nix has had until last year....................when he hired a Decent HC & Drafted a QB.

Grigson........................LUCKED into the first pick when Luck was available in the draft.

You said "You tell us what GM rebuilt a team in one season." I named two. The point is, it doesn't take years to rebuild anymore, if it's done properly. Yet, Nix, after three years, not only seems to be starting over again, he hasn't put together a team that is ONE WIN BETTER than what he inherited. 4 years in and Nix has yet to even reach the lofty 7-9 that Dick Jauron achieved, with much lesser talent, according to anyone that thinks the Bills are "much better now."

We will see what happens this year for the Bills & Nix. Like I said if Marrone doesn't produce I will join Op & everyone else calling for Nix's head.

You can go ahead and "see what happens." I'm telling you right now, the Bills will not make the playoffs yet again and Marrone will not be fired. The only way Nix is leaving is if he retires.

-Bill

better days
04-17-2013, 11:55 PM
You don't think he discussed it with Gailey first? Most GM's and HC's would talk about that sort of thing.

Remind me, what was Chan Gailey doing again, when Nix and the Bills came calling? Hell, at least Billick had a job in Television at the time.

You said "You tell us what GM rebuilt a team in one season." I named two. The point is, it doesn't take years to rebuild anymore, if it's done properly. Yet, Nix, after three years, not only seems to be starting over again, he hasn't put together a team that is ONE WIN BETTER than what he inherited. 4 years in and Nix has yet to even reach the lofty 7-9 that Dick Jauron achieved, with much lesser talent, according to anyone that thinks the Bills are "much better now."

You can go ahead and "see what happens." I'm telling you right now, the Bills will not make the playoffs yet again and Marrone will not be fired. The only way Nix is leaving is if he retires.

-Bill

Fixed your post for you. I agree, it is NOT likely the Bills make the playoffs this year. I also agree Nix will retire in his own good time & Marrone will not be fired even if the Bills go 2-14.

But I can promise you I will join the bandwagon calling for the head of Nix & Marrone if the Bills win 6 games or less next year.

BLeonard
04-18-2013, 12:16 AM
Fixed your post for you.

Billick works for the NFL Network, correct? That would be a job in football. Much moreso than Gailey sitting at home is.

I agree, it is NOT likely the Bills make the playoffs this year. I also agree Nix will retire in his own good time & Marrone will not be fired even if the Bills go 2-14.

But I can promise you I will join the bandwagon calling for the head of Nix & Marrone if the Bills win 6 games or less next year.

Why wait?

Also, personally, I don't see why 6 wins should be the benchmark. Why would 7 to 9 wins next season, while still missing the playoffs, be better than 6 or less? In other words, you're saying you'll Marrone fired if he wins 6 or less games... Why wouldn't you want him fired if he wins 7, 8, or 9 games, yet still fails to make the playoffs?

-Bill

better days
04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Billick works for the NFL Network, correct? That would be a job in football. Much moreso than Gailey sitting at home is.

Why wait?

Also, personally, I don't see why 6 wins should be the benchmark. Why would 7 to 9 wins next season, while still missing the playoffs, be better than 6 or less? In other words, you're saying you'll Marrone fired if he wins 6 or less games... Why wouldn't you want him fired if he wins 7, 8, or 9 games, yet still fails to make the playoffs?

-Bill

Billick giving his opinion on NFL Network is not much different than you or I giving our opinion on this board, although he is MUCH more qualified & gets paid to do so. Something must be up with him that NO team would give him another shot at Coaching.

I chose 6 games as the number because I don't think there is any reason the Bills should not win at least that many games unless it is due to Coaching. I don't care that a new system is being put in place or if injuries happen. If Marrone can't coach this team to at least 6 wins, then IMO he is a terrible HC & needs to be fired. I don't think 6 wins is asking for too much under any circumstances with this team.