PDA

View Full Version : New Idiot Mock Award

TigerJ
04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
This is the third of my 2014 Idiot Mock awards. My first award was a no brainer. My second was a little more difficult because one of the picks in the two round mock was somewhat defensible. The third is between the two, not quite as obvious as the first one, not quite as debatable as the second.

I'm giving the award to DJ of the New NFL Draft website. The New NFL Draft website has a number of resident mock drafters, some of them are fan drafts. This one is by a guy who has some media credentials. According to the website, DJ has been affiliated with football.com and profantasysports.com, and has done guest posts on various sports radio stations including ESPN radio. He is a member of the Professional Sportswriters of America. From my perspective as a Bills fan, most of the mock drafts at the New NFL Draft.com range from mediocre to abysmal. This is one of the worst. So without further adieu, here goes:

In round one, DJ has the Bills selecting Chance Warmack, offensive guard from Alabama. We all know he's a great player. A few people have suggested he's the best player in the draft or the safest pick in the draft. This pick is somewhat defensible despite Buddy Nix having sugge3sted recently that Buffalo was not looking to draft a guard in the draft. If you hadn't heard, Buddy said he thought Buffalo had enough talent at the position that they could fill Levitre's spot without drafting a guard. He did say the Bills were impressed with Warmack and Cooper, and so would not completely rule out taking a guard.

In the second round DJ has Buffalo picking Ryan Nassib. I have no problem with this pick at all, and did not present the Idiot Mock Award on the basis of the first two picks of the draft. However, it goes downhill from here.

In the third round, the Bills pick Justin Pugh, another guard. Yeah, he played tackle for Doug Marrone at Syracuse, but in part due to hsi short arms, he's destined to move inside in the pros. One guard is defensible. Two guards is just plain stupid even if one of them playerd for Marrone.

In the fourth round, the Bills pick Travis Swanson, a center from Arkansas. Yeah, but he played in the SEC and Buddy likes players from the south. Not going to happen. The Bills have needs that are far more accute than another depth player on the interior of the offensive line.

In the fifth round, the Bills select Everett Dawkins, a defensive tackle from Florida State. Yeah, but he's from the south. Dawkins is not a bad player. He's undersized for a DT. His speed is a little better than average for a DT, and he's got good quickness. He can get in the backfield some, but is a liability in run defense both due to his lack of size, and the fact that he's not really strong. The point is, he really doesn't add anything the Bills don't already have in players who are a whole lot better than he is. I'm guessing he doesn't make the team, especially if Torrell Troup finally makes it back to health and can contribute.

In the sixth round, Buffalo selects Aron Mellette WR from Elon college. Mellette is a big possession receiver who has strong hands. Buffalo certainly needs receivers, and this is probably a good pick in the sixth round, but he's not going to be a #2 receiver. This is mainly a case of too little, and way too late. One has to question whether Mellette can bring any more to the table as a receiver than David Nelson, whom the Bills let go a couple months ago.

The bottom line is that out of six picks the mock draft has the Bills meeting two needs (since Nix denies guard is a need, I'm not counting the 2 guards as need picks) and one of those is with a sixth round pick. This makes DJ a worthy recipient of the Idiot Mock Award in my opinion, and since I'm the one who invented the award, mine is the only opinion that counts. LOL

http://newnfldraft.com/djs-2013-nfl-mock-draft/

TigerJ
04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Oops! I called this a 2014 Idiot Mock Award, and my ten minutes to edit it and make a correction are already up. (I was busy checking out a new camera.) Please disregard the 2014. It is, of course, for a 2013 mock draft.

Ginger Vitis
04-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I agree Tiger the 3rd Round and 4th Round picks are bad if only because the Bills would be sinking 3 out of there 1st 4 picks into the IOL positions.. I think the 1st idiot mock draft award you gave out where the mock drafter had the Bills taking a LT in every round from 4 to 7 is by far the most deserving of the idiot mock awards lol