PDA

View Full Version : bill polian

Bert102176
04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Says landry jones is his best qb of this draft, he does know QB's he had payton manning, jim Kelly, frank reich

BidsJr
04-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Boy am I glad he didn't come back to GM the Bills. He has lost his mind.

djjimkelly
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
in fact he just said landry jones 1st nassib 2nd and geno 3rd all late first early 2nd grades

Night Train
04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Jones can't handle pressure at all. Polian is wrong.

swiper
04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Polian is clearly being paid off by Landry's agent.

Bert102176
04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I still want Manuel or Wilson

Beebe's Kid
04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
It is funny to see the reaction to Pollian when people didn't hear what they wanted to hear. His word is usually as good as gold here, and there is a thread made nearly every time he utters a word.

It may be worth considering. I mean, the guy did draft Frank Reich.

TacklingDummy
04-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Says landry jones is his best qb of this draft, he does know QB's he had payton manning, jim Kelly, frank reich

Even a blind man could have picked Manning and Kelly.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Even a blind man could have picked Manning and Kelly.

Kelly was the third QB off the board, our 2nd pick in the draft, and didn't play for us for years. Don't pretend that was a slam dunk pick.

k-oneputt
04-19-2013, 09:35 PM
He also took Collins in Carolina who was a good NFL qb.

At the time Manning or Leaf was a big debate.

And Kelly was coming off a serious shoulder injury when picked.

I'd say he knows what he's talking about with qb's.

Albany,n.y.
04-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Polian wasn't with the Bills in 1983 when Kelly was picked.
Polian wasn't GM when Reich was picked.
Leaf acted like a fool (what a surprise) & didn't want to have an interview with Indy at the combine. Manning acted, well, like Peyton Manning-for Indy the choice was easy-the only people who favored Leaf over Manning never met Leaf.
He picked Collins even though Collins was an alcoholic, which led to Collins' release in Carolina.

Polian was a great GM for the Bills & did a good job elsewhere, but his QB knowledge can't be based on the QBs he's had because he had little or nothing to do with drafting most of them. He's also the guy who brought in Curtis Painter as his Frank Reich in Indy.

swiper
04-20-2013, 05:31 AM
It is funny to see the reaction to Pollian when people didn't hear what they wanted to hear. His word is usually as good as gold here, and there is a thread made nearly every time he utters a word.

It may be worth considering. I mean, the guy did draft Frank Reich.

Not to me. Not at all. He gets credit for drafting Manning - but anyone would have done that. He systematically failed to build the rest of that team. He is over-hyped and over-rated. I never put anything into what that guy says.

- - - Updated - - -

Leaf acted like a fool (what a surprise) & didn't want to have an interview with Indy at the combine. Manning acted, well, like Peyton Manning-for Indy the choice was easy-the only people who favored Leaf over Manning never met Leaf.
He picked Collins even though Collins was an alcoholic, which led to Collins' release in Carolina.

Polian was a great GM for the Bills & did a good job elsewhere, but his QB knowledge can't be based on the QBs he's had because he had little or nothing to do with drafting most of them. He's also the guy who brought in Curtis Painter as his Frank Reich in Indy.

Brought in Painter and stuck with him.

k-oneputt
04-20-2013, 07:59 AM
He got Kelly out of the USFL when the rest of the organization before and since does/did nothing.

That Collins guy led basically an expansion team to the play-offs and played a long time in the league. That isn't done by accident.

And no the Leaf-Manning choice wasn't "easy". There were plenty of "draft experts" ringing Leafs bell.

swiper
04-20-2013, 08:13 AM
He got Kelly out of the USFL when the rest of the organization before and since does/did nothing.

That Collins guy led basically an expansion team to the play-offs and played a long time in the league. That isn't done by accident.

And no the Leaf-Manning choice wasn't "easy". There were plenty of "draft experts" ringing Leafs bell.

Keep telling yourself that. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. Manning was the clear #1 in that draft.

Poilan is an over-hyped, over-rated jackass.

cookie G
04-20-2013, 08:14 AM

nope. 3/4 of the GM's at the time would have taken Leaf.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/access/28036931.html?dids=28036931:28036931&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Mar+29%2C+1998&author=Bob+Glauber&pub=Newsday+(Combined+editions)&desc=NFL+%2F+Leaf+Is+Big+Favorite&pqatl=google

The overwhelming consensus: Manning may have the more recognizable name, but Leaf clearly is the preferred quarterback among league executives. Fourteen of the 20 polled said they would draft Leaf over Manning, citing the Washington State quarterback's stronger arm, better mobility and more promising long-term prospect as a franchise-caliber player.
"I'd take Ryan Leaf," Buffalo Bills general manager John Butler said. "I like the big, physical aspects about him. He's got good mobility, and there's something about him, kind of tough to say just what, just something that you like in a quarterback. They're both talented players, but I give the edge to Leaf."
Giants coach Jim Fassel, a former college quarterback, prefers Manning, largely because the Tennessee quarterback and son of former New Orleans Saints quarterback Archie Manning is a more polished player at this point.

A good article about how he went through his selection:

Although he favored Tennessee's Manning over Washington State's Leaf, Polian had trouble putting this baby to bed. He had watched tape of each of Manning's 1,505 passes for the Vols as well as Leaf's 880 for the Cougars. Then twice more he watched every pass that Manning and Leaf threw during the 1997 season, charting on separate legal pads each player's success or failure in making tough throws, long throws, throws on the move. He asked new Colts coach Jim Mora to look twice at every pass that Leaf and Manning threw in college. Quarterbacks coach Bruce Arians viewed every pass four times; other staffers watched three times each.

Polian paid quarterback guru Bill Walsh $5,000 to analyze tape of both quarterbacks. He grilled former NFL quarterback Phil Simms and Vanderbilt coach Woody Widenhofer, both of whom had studied Leaf and Manning. Polian was so meticulous in putting the two players through separate workouts in early April that he even noted how accurately each of them could throw a long pass without striding (Leaf 60 yards, Manning 58, by the way). All told, Polian had spent about 14 hours a day over a 28-day span studying Leaf and Manning. "Did we overanalyze?" he says. "Absolutely."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013553/1/index.htm

I'm pretty sure Bill Walsh didn't recommend either, he recommended a 3rd QB.

swiper
04-20-2013, 08:24 AM
nope. 3/4 of the GM's at the time would have taken Leaf

IDK where you pulled that out of your ass from, but that was NOT the overriding sentiment at the time.

And it turned out just that way. One became an All-Star and the other a felon.

cookie G
04-20-2013, 08:28 AM
IDK where you pulled that out of your ass from, but that was NOT the overriding sentiment at the time.

Abstract of a Newsday article written in March of 1998.

PS, note John Butler's opinion.

Sorry... you are providing revisionist history.

swiper
04-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Not at all a revisionist history. I recall it as clearly as day. Leaf ended up taking a back seat to Manning after the interviews were had.

Albany,n.y.
04-20-2013, 08:56 AM
I remember Butler saying he'd pick Leaf and I also remember my reaction at the time-He's wrong. I also think that the Bills have had poor scouting in the post Polian years and often refer back to the Butler opinion as evidence that going back to the 1990s, the Bills couldn't scout QBs and when the scouts & Butler discussed Leaf, the scouts never took into account his personality, which screamed bust, in spite of his physical talents. The attitude Leaf displayed at the combine-showing up overweight, blowing off the Colts because he wanted to be in California & not Indianapolis were red flags that Polian had to be fully aware of when Indianapolis made its choice.
Back then I used to study the draft a lot more & I used to write a report up for my friends. That year I wrote that Manning was a much surer thing because of all the stunts Leaf had pulled at the combine, and while he might pan out was a risky choice for any team. Also, I compared him to Scott Mitchell, because when I saw him play, that's who he reminded me of-it turned out Mitchell had a better career than Leaf & as far as I know, isn't in or on the way to the slammer. Why would the Colts have taken the surly, overweight guy who blew them off and told them he didn't want to play for them when Peyton Manning was available? Polian may have done his due diligence before picking Manning, but if you had him in a bar alone & got a few drinks in him, he'd probably say something like-I would have never drafted an a-hole like Leaf, it was never a close decision.

cookie G
04-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Not at all a revisionist history. I recall it as clearly as day. Leaf ended up taking a back seat to Manning after the interviews were had.

Oh well then...if you remember it clear as day...

k-oneputt
04-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Keep telling yourself that. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. Manning was the clear #1 in that draft.

Poilan is an over-hyped, over-rated jackass.

No s**t. Of course he was the clear #1 now, but at the time he wasn't.

Albany,n.y.
04-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Abstract of a Newsday article written in March of 1998.

PS, note John Butler's opinion.

Sorry... you are providing revisionist history.
Butler's opinion of QBs in 1998 was so good he used the 9th pick (and threw in a 4th rounder to boot) to acquire Rob Johnson.

tatersalad
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Polian us ranked as the biggest mistake in Bills history ( letting him go) he found talent when u have a qb u take best player available heard buddy say that on the recorded call makes alot of sense

djjimkelly
04-20-2013, 09:51 AM

yesterday he said all the colts scouts wanted leaf the coaches wanted manning

swiper
04-20-2013, 10:34 AM
No s**t. Of course he was the clear #1 now, but at the time he wasn't.

He was.

swiper
04-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Polian us ranked as the biggest mistake in Bills history ( letting him go) he found talent when u have a qb u take best player available heard buddy say that on the recorded call makes alot of sense

Too bad you don't.

kishoph
04-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Kelly came to the Bills after the USFL folded, the Bills owned his rights.

k-oneputt
04-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the update.

k-oneputt
04-20-2013, 04:35 PM
yesterday he said all the colts scouts wanted leaf the coaches wanted manning

This doesn't surprise me at all.

BillsFever21
04-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Not to me. Not at all. He gets credit for drafting Manning - but anyone would have done that. He systematically failed to build the rest of that team. He is over-hyped and over-rated. I never put anything into what that guy says.

- - - Updated - - -

Brought in Painter and stuck with him.

Maybe he wanted to sick with Painter when Manning went down so he could get the 1st pick in the draft to win the Luck sweepstakes? He probably figured what was another win or two when the team was in disarray. He just wasn't around afterwards to reap the rewards.

kishoph
04-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the update.

Then why did you say he (Polian) got Kelly out of the USFL, the league folding is what got Kelly out of the USFL.

swiper
04-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Maybe he wanted to sick with Painter when Manning went down so he could get the 1st pick in the draft to win the Luck sweepstakes?

This method heretofore has been referred to the spikedlemonade method of building a team.

DraftBoy
04-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Back to the topic of Polian and talent evaluation there have been a lot of questions recently about his ability.

Since the 1998 draft here are the notable picks;
Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Mike Peterson, Edgerin James, Ryan Diem, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Tim Jennings, Pierre Garcon, Phillip Wheeler

That's 11 names in 13 drafts and none since 2008. Polian has often been accused of trying to be the smartest man in the war room, purposely going against the grain to prove how smart he is (Jerry Hughes playing in a 43) and that's been his biggest undoing later in his career.

k-oneputt
04-21-2013, 06:37 AM
I know someone else who was high on Hughes coming out of that draft.

Is this a thread that's trying to imply that Polian didn't know what he was doing ??????

If so, carry on because it is pretty stupid then.

DraftBoy
04-21-2013, 06:44 AM
I know someone else who was high on Hughes coming out of that draft.

Is this a thread that's trying to imply that Polian didn't know what he was doing ??????

If so, carry on because it is pretty stupid then.

There were a lot of people high on Hughes, however most of them thought his better fit was in a 34 and not a 43 defense.

coastal
04-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Wtf?

can someone translate?

EricStratton
04-21-2013, 07:41 AM
He's not saying any of them are top 10 material, he's just ranking them against each other and putting them all in the 25-40 range.

That's very different from calling any of them slam dunk quarterbacks.

swiper
04-21-2013, 07:54 AM
There were a lot of people high on Hughes, however most of them thought his better fit was in a 34 and not a 43 defense.

As was pointed out in another thread, there were a lot of people high on Ryan Leaf at the time also.

It ain't easy. The draft, that is.

Historian
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Very true.

However, Kelly had made a lot of noise about the weather here, etc, and the Raiders were interested.

It was Polian I believe who advised Wilson to stay the course and sign Jimbo. Ralph agreed, and Promised Jim he would give him the help to win.