PDA

View Full Version : IS IT POSSIBLE, to build a dominant oline like the 90s cowboys, 70s dolphins?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
for arguments sake, lets say we drafted warmack, as a group would our oline become incredible?

i mean, is that style possible still? where you physically push people around?

on paper, the oline would look incredible.

glenn- pro bowl potential
warmack- pro bowl potential
wood- top 3 center, great power
urbik, great power, top 10 guard.
pears/hairston- great power at rt spot...

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2013, 05:33 PM
draft dion sims as a big te and hand it off to cj and fred...???

deep to graham and hit johnson over the middle?

can that work?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Is it possible? Yes but it requires luck or a significant investment in the OL positions. San Francisco is a great example of the latter (Boone) and the former (Iupati).

But even while I like those guys, I cannot agree that Wood is a Top 3 center and Urbik is a top 10 guard.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Is it possible? Yes but it requires luck or a significant investment in the OL positions. San Francisco is a great example of the latter (Boone) and the former (Iupati).

But even while I like those guys, I cannot agree that Wood is a Top 3 center and Urbik is a top 10 guard.

urbik graded out as a top 10 g according to pff.

also look up what urbik did to chris canty on fred jackson 80 yard run in 2011. he literally lifted him off the ground... it was nuts.

and yes, wood is a legit top 3 center.

mayotm
04-19-2013, 06:56 PM

also look up what urbik did to chris canty on fred jackson 80 yard run in 2011. he literally lifted him off the ground... it was nuts.

and yes, wood is a legit top 3 center.Wood is a good player. He can't be considered top 3 until he can consistently stay healthy.

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Pro Bowl potential means nothing more than wasted talent.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Pro Bowl potential means nothing more than wasted talent.

as a rookie and soon to be rookie? lol

cookie G
04-19-2013, 10:38 PM

and yes, wood is a legit top 3 center.

Urbik graded out that high because he rarely had to pass block a DT one on one . Besides, he's about the only G I've ever seen who gets knocked backwards when he pulls;

Anyways

They aren't drafting Warmack (or Cooper);
Wood is gone after this year.

That leaves...Glenn. One guy doesn't make an O line.

clumping platelets
04-19-2013, 10:47 PM
I am on the War Mack

I agree totally.......draft Warmack and then get Wood signed to an extension

Use the rest of the draft to add weapons to offense and give Kolb every chance to be successful.......any future QB will need the same things anyhoo......

Not saying we don't draft a QB, I just do not want to reach for one.

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Draft Lane Johnson OT

LT. L. Johnson
LG. C. Glenn
C. Woods
RG. Urbik
RT. Hairston

Not bad. Hairston is probably the weakest link but that can be upgrade in FA either before or after the draft in FA.

GvilleBills
04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
I like the idea of upgrading LT as the best way to improve the OL as a whole. Glenn could be a All-Pro LG.

Mike13
04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I think having all positions of the OL being elite isnt nesscary.

Yes you need a good LT and a good C but thats about it, the other 3 positions are not that important.

sudzy
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I agree totally.......draft Warmack and then get Wood signed to an extension

Wood has to prove he can stay healthy before they should sign him to an extension.

pmoon6
04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Hmmm. Bills Fans talking about the greatness of the '90's Cowboys and '70's Dolphins lines? What about the '90's Bills O-Line? Hull had to call the schemes on the fly. We had a stellar O-Line. Unfortunately, in today's NFL, it's hard to keep a unit together. A drawback when that part of the team relies on familiarity and cohesiveness to be successful.

And if you are going to mention great lines, I would rate the '60's Packers as the best followed by the late '60's/early '70's Cowboys, Raiders '70's, '80's 49ers, and the Steelers '70's lines. Hard to compare because there was no free agency. They also couldn't blatantly hold and not get called because a primary goal is to protect the QB.

Skooby
04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Kolb could be a good QB if no one can get to him, so this might not be a terrible idea. Problem with this is the Bills are trading down & getting Nassib, that's the plan.

coastal
04-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Draft Warmack.. Sign Wood to an extension... Draft Jake Matthews next year.

there.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-21-2013, 11:33 AM
thats a great point, its harder to keep 5 guys together, especially 3 or 4 great olineman....

better to invest high picks in a qb if you already have a solid top 12 oline....