IS IT POSSIBLE, to build a dominant oline like the 90s cowboys, 70s dolphins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

IS IT POSSIBLE, to build a dominant oline like the 90s cowboys, 70s dolphins?

for arguments sake, lets say we drafted warmack, as a group would our oline become incredible?

i mean, is that style possible still? where you physically push people around?

on paper, the oline would look incredible.

glenn- pro bowl potential
    warmack- pro bowl potential
    wood- top 3 center, great power
    urbik, great power, top 10 guard.
    pears/hairston- great power at rt spot...
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Re: IS IT POSSIBLE, to build a dominant oline like the 90s cowboys, 70s dolphins?

draft dion sims as a big te and hand it off to cj and fred...???

deep to graham and hit johnson over the middle?

can that work?

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

Re: IS IT POSSIBLE, to build a dominant oline like the 90s cowboys, 70s dolphins?

Is it possible? Yes but it requires luck or a significant investment in the OL positions. San Francisco is a great example of the latter (Boone) and the former (Iupati).

But even while I like those guys, I cannot agree that Wood is a Top 3 center and Urbik is a top 10 guard.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        Is it possible? Yes but it requires luck or a significant investment in the OL positions. San Francisco is a great example of the latter (Boone) and the former (Iupati).

But even while I like those guys, I cannot agree that Wood is a Top 3 center and Urbik is a top 10 guard.
        urbik graded out as a top 10 g according to pff.

also look up what urbik did to chris canty on fred jackson 80 yard run in 2011. he literally lifted him off the ground... it was nuts.

and yes, wood is a legit top 3 center.

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post

also look up what urbik did to chris canty on fred jackson 80 yard run in 2011. he literally lifted him off the ground... it was nuts.

Wood is a good player. He can't be considered top 3 until he can consistently stay healthy.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Pro Bowl potential means nothing more than wasted talent.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
              Pro Bowl potential means nothing more than wasted talent.
              as a rookie and soon to be rookie? lol

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post

Urbik graded out that high because he rarely had to pass block a DT one on one . Besides, he's about the only G I've ever seen who gets knocked backwards when he pulls;

Anyways

They aren't drafting Warmack (or Cooper);
                Wood is gone after this year.

That leaves...Glenn. One guy doesn't make an O line.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I am on the War Mack

I agree totally.......draft Warmack and then get Wood signed to an extension

Use the rest of the draft to add weapons to offense and give Kolb every chance to be successful.......any future QB will need the same things anyhoo......

Not saying we don't draft a QB, I just do not want to reach for one.

Comment

• Buffalo Billy Bison
                    • Mar 2003

Draft Lane Johnson OT

LT. L. Johnson
                    LG. C. Glenn
                    C. Woods
                    RG. Urbik
                    RT. Hairston

Not bad. Hairston is probably the weakest link but that can be upgrade in FA either before or after the draft in FA.
                    Last edited by Buffalo Billy Bison; 04-20-2013, 12:31 AM.
                    11-5 in 2020 and deep into the Playoffs!

Comment

• GvilleBills
                      • Mar 2006

I like the idea of upgrading LT as the best way to improve the OL as a whole. Glenn could be a All-Pro LG.
                      Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• Mike13
                        • Aug 2005

I think having all positions of the OL being elite isnt nesscary.

Yes you need a good LT and a good C but thats about it, the other 3 positions are not that important.

Comment

• sudzy
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
                          I agree totally.......draft Warmack and then get Wood signed to an extension
                          Wood has to prove he can stay healthy before they should sign him to an extension.

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Hmmm. Bills Fans talking about the greatness of the '90's Cowboys and '70's Dolphins lines? What about the '90's Bills O-Line? Hull had to call the schemes on the fly. We had a stellar O-Line. Unfortunately, in today's NFL, it's hard to keep a unit together. A drawback when that part of the team relies on familiarity and cohesiveness to be successful.

And if you are going to mention great lines, I would rate the '60's Packers as the best followed by the late '60's/early '70's Cowboys, Raiders '70's, '80's 49ers, and the Steelers '70's lines. Hard to compare because there was no free agency. They also couldn't blatantly hold and not get called because a primary goal is to protect the QB.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Kolb could be a good QB if no one can get to him, so this might not be a terrible idea. Problem with this is the Bills are trading down & getting Nassib, that's the plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X