PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn on QB's

DraftBoy
04-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Bob McGinn is a long time Packers/NFL guy, he's not a talent evaluator but what he does have is lots of scout connections. He's always among the most accurate mock drafters in the country due to his connections. Here are his QB rankings;
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/the-journal-sentinels-bob-mcginn-assesses-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-draft-next-week-included-is-each-players-height-weight-40yard-dash-time-and-projected-round-rt9i5sb-203862401.html

And here is the Nassib write-up;

4. RYAN NASSIB, Syracuse (6-2, 228, 4.98, 2-3) - Led the leading QBs on the Wonderlic with 41. "Smartest guy we've interviewed in a long, long time," one scout said. "He knocked it out of the park. He has a better arm and delivery than Barkley. He reminds me of Matt Schaub a lot. Smart and efficient. Boots, waggles, play-action. He can't run. He won't beat you scrambling." Compiled a 21-17 record for the heretofore lowly Orange and a passer rating of 90.4. "He really improved during the year," another scout said. "Thing that bothers me, he seems to throw a heavy ball. He throws with the same touch no matter what the route is. I like the arm strength and decision-making. Decent athlete." Hails from West Chester, Pa. "He's a by-the-numbers guy," a third scout said. "If the first thing isn't open and there's pressure, he panics. For a guy who is as smart as he is, that has as much character, he is what I call panicky. He won't panic into a turnover; I'll give him credit that way. Fantastic kid, which I think people are letting trump his ability. He's a slow-footed guy. OK arm. It's not even like your second-tier NFL arms."

stuckincincy
04-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Good article.

swiper
04-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Interesting.

I've said all along I'd be ok with the Bills taking him in the 2nd if they thought he was decent. You certainly don't like to hear a scout saying that his arm isn't even a "second-tier" NFL arm. Sounds a lot like Fitzpatrick - smart head with limited physical abilities. At least Fitzpatrick could scramble his way outta jams at times. Taking Nassib at #8 should get a GM fired. Did Marrone tap out Nassib's ceiling last year at Syracuse? If so, a lot of people will be disappointed with such a pick in a few years.

BillsU
04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't agree with the panics comment guy goes through his progressions very well. Also don't think Nassib has the strongest arm but not weak at all just a little inaccurate with the deep ball at times. If anyone watched the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl where Nassib and WR Marcus Sales light it up in some pretty craptastic weather.

cookie G
04-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm just not a very big fan of his throwing ability, especially hitting people on the run.

But that's just me.

swiper
04-20-2013, 08:35 AM
It will be interesting to see who turns out to become the best pro out of this class down the road.

Pundits were writing months ago how none of these canidates were all that good. Only Geno Smith's name came up in the middle to end of the first. But the closer you get to the draft they magically become top-ten candidates. And none of them knocked anyone's socks off in the combine/personal work-out process. It just takes one GM to picking one guy too high to trigger a run at a given position.

Parzival
04-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Also disagree with the panicky part. It sounds like that scout only watched tape from his first year as a starter. That was absolutely the case earlier in his career, but he did a much better job tthis past season of staying in the pocket, going through his progressions, or if there was nothing there throwing it away.

definitely agree with the heavy ball part, I don't think it will be as much of a problem in the nfl where the WRs are much better, but he needs to know when to take a little off the ball. Ill never understand anyone who says he doesn't have a good arm, he has an absolute cannon.

Buddo
04-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Also disagree with the panicky part. It sounds like that scout only watched tape from his first year as a starter. That was absolutely the case earlier in his career, but he did a much better job tthis past season of staying in the pocket, going through his progressions, or if there was nothing there throwing it away.

definitely agree with the heavy ball part, I don't think it will be as much of a problem in the nfl where the WRs are much better, but he needs to know when to take a little off the ball. Ill never understand anyone who says he doesn't have a good arm, he has an absolute cannon.

I don't think he has a cannon, at all. I think he has an arm that is very good on the main body of NFL throws, which are short to intermediate routes. Deep throws, he really needs to work on. It's probably something to do with his 'natural' throwing motion. I've seen plenty of people over the years, in a different sport, who can throw very hard, over a limited distance, but struggle to get a ball go a long way. I suspect that Nassib is of this type. thing is, His velocity on anything up to 30 yards, is impressive, he just needs to show more touch, and also get a proper appreciation of how to throw deeper, without putting too much air under the ball. Some fine tuning, and repetition, is needed, imho.

Having said all that, the guy who claims he hasn't even got a 2nd rate NFL arm, is talking complete hogwash.

Night Train
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Makes me want to wait a year to draft a QB.. but with Nix needing to save some face and retire soon, we'll probably pick one early.

Manuel is OK with a year of development while Kolb or Jackson play. Tuel of Washington St. and Renfree of Duke would be decent Saturday stabs. Not really sure about the rest at all.

TigerJ
04-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I looked all over the place for Wonderlic scores the other day, and this guy put them all down. Among all 10 that he rated, there are no real dunces. Like everybody else, he sees warts on all these guys. Whichever guy the Bills pick, he's going to need some coaching and development, whether or not he starts at the beginning of the 2013 season.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Bob McGinn is a long time Packers/NFL guy, he's not a talent evaluator but what he does have is lots of scout connections. He's always among the most accurate mock drafters in the country due to his connections. Here are his QB rankings;
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/the-journal-sentinels-bob-mcginn-assesses-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-draft-next-week-included-is-each-players-height-weight-40yard-dash-time-and-projected-round-rt9i5sb-203862401.html

And here is the Nassib write-up;

Just like EVERY year with multiple prospects over the years, why can we get no consensus if he has a strong arm or not??? In the same blurb one guy is saying he throws too hard and the other guy says he doesn't even have a second tier NFL arm?

In my opinion from watching his games and highlights his arm is certainly strong.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-21-2013, 04:19 PM
when we look back, barkley, landry jones, and mike glennon will be good starters...

please take one at 8