if a qb is good enough to take in the 2nd, then why not just take him at 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOT THE DUDE...
    Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
    • Jan 2010

if a qb is good enough to take in the 2nd, then why not just take him at 8?

why risk it?????
  • Bert102176
    • Aug 2002

Re: if a qb is good enough to take in the 2nd, then why not just take him at 8?

Because we have other needs and the QB's in this draft are sketchy , I like Manuel, and Wilson in this draft personally but not at 8.
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Bone
      Bone
      • Oct 2006

I agree, if the QB is their and can't trade down pick him. Our 2nd round pick could either be a stud wide receiver or linebacker.
      BILLIEVE

Comment

• BillsFever21
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
        why risk it?????
        If you could get him in the 2nd then why take him in the first? That would seem logical to pick up another one of the top players instead. There's also a big difference from a QB being worth a 2nd round pick and being worth a top 10 pick.

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

There is one particular reason a team could have for drafting a player in the first round that they might be able to get in the second - contract length. This is especially importan when a player is going to take a while to develop. First round picks get fiver year deals. Second round picks get four year deals. I'm not in favor of drafting a QB at #8 if the Bills can trade down, but I could see them drafting a QB at 8 if they can't trade down for the contract length alone.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Buffalo Billy Bison
            • Mar 2003

Answer this question? if Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley and EJ Manuel are graded as late first round picks in this years draft and the Bills decide they really want one of these three QB's OBD must decide this question and I want that to be you!

1st Round 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32, 2nd Round 33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41 There are the 2 Bills positions. The question presents itself. Do you take one of them at #8 and everyone says the Bills picked Nassib,Barkley or Manuel out of need and really stretched in getting one of them or it was the only thing they could do based on where they had to pick. What do you think or does it even matter where they are rated and ranked? Do you pull the trigger to get the guy you want?
            Last edited by Buffalo Billy Bison; 04-20-2013, 11:10 PM.
            11-5 in 2020 and deep into the Playoffs!

Comment

• kishoph
              • Jun 2003

I think drafting a QB high out of need is a bit different than drafting any other position out of need. The way the league is going (has gone) the QB is far more important than any other spot and there are still a lot of teams that have question marks at QB, even if they did pick someone up in FA, they may just be looking at that player as a stop gap and are still looking for their QB of the future. I still feel if there is a QB that they think can lead the team and be successful, then grab him and remove the risk of another team trading back up into the 1st to get him.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                • Jan 2010

i agree, its different when it comes to a qb, because of the positional impact. ( supply and demand).... and with the contracts not being crazy anymore, i think it takes lots of risk out of the equation. if the qb fails, the financial investment is not that big.

i just think, if you think barkley, nassib, ej are late 1st/2nd rd picks, then why take the risk? especially when your qb situaiton is a big question mark. from a logical standpoint, if nix and whaley think a certain qb can be " the guy", then why in the blue hell would you trade back, and take that huge of a risk? i also agree with nix, yeah there isnt an elway or luck in the draft, but these qbs are pretty good, and after going 3 decades without taking a qb with a top 15 pick, i think its time to take a little risk. i mean, if not now, then when?

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  • Jan 2010

and another thing, we have a decent roster, and kolb, we are not going 2-14, so you can once again rule manziel out. even further giving reason to take a risk now...

with the value of qb, and the solid careers these qbs have, i dont even see it as that big of a risk. and to be frank, when you dont have a qb, in reality, you actually dont have a choice.

- - - Updated - - -

without a qb, you have no chance. simple as that

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Apr 2024

Oh, the smartniks (who are in denial of the past dozen Bills drafts) will tell you it is all about VALUE.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                      • Jan 2010

and for some odd reason, people have it in their head that if our rookie qb struggles, we cant draft a top qb next year if available... lol, who made that rule?

thats like saying if manziel was in this draft and miami had the number 1 pick, they wouldnt take him....lol, why?

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

and for some odd reason, people have it in their head that if our rookie qb struggles, we cant draft a top qb next year if available... lol, who made that rule?
                        So you are going to toss out that QB after one year and draft another? Only one guy can play QB. ROFL. People in these boards sometimes.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          So you are going to toss out that QB after one year and draft another? Only one guy can play QB. ROFL. People in these boards sometimes.
                          ummm yeah. if luck was in this draft, and ryan ****ing tannehill is my qb, im taking luck lol

- - - Updated - - -

why would you logically not? an elway/manning prospect is on the board, yet you want to stick with a " project"? why?

qb is different man

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

ummm yeah. if luck was in this draft, and ryan ****ing tannehill is my qb, im taking luck lol

- - - Updated - - -

why would you logically not? an elway/manning prospect is on the board, yet you want to stick with a " project"? why?

qb is different man
                            Of course that would be a different story but them guys are one of the top 10 best QB's of all time. I guess you must feel there are QB's next year that will have that type of a career.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                              Of course that would be a different story but them guys are one of the top 10 best QB's of all time. I guess you must feel there are QB's next year that will have that type of a career.
                              manziel is being touted as a luck/bradford/rg3... so yeah, i am taking him

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍