PDA

View Full Version : interesting mock...

oldno711
04-21-2013, 12:52 PM
just stumbled across this mock and, although I acknowledge it isn't easy to trade down, I can't think of a better situation for the bills

http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

drafttek mocks us trading with san fran (#8 for #31, #34, #74) and selecting the following:
31- tyler wilson (qb-ark)
34- justin hunter (wr-ten)
41- alex okafor (de-texas)
71- ryan swope (wr-t a&m)
74- william gholston (de-msu)
105- travis kelce (te-cincy)
143- chase thomas (og-cornell)
177- nickell robey (cb-usc)

if we aren't sold on wilson as the guy, it should be noted that (according to this mock) we'd have our pick of any qb not named geno smith at #31 (or #34)...

also came across this article which discusses the top playmakers in this year's draft (justin hunter-5, ryan swope-16, travis kelce-21):

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1610791-power-ranking-the-top-25-offensive-playmakers-in-the-2013-nfl-draft

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 01:07 PM
I believe 31 is too far down for the Bills to draft their QB of the future in Matt Barkley.

TigerJ
04-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the odds of Buffalo trading down are better than they've been in the last five years at least, but I don't think Wilson would be their target. It appears as if there are other QBs Buffalo likes more. Other thoughts on this simulation: I think Hunter could become a playmaker, but he's also got some warts. He's got a thin frame and may not be able to put on much more in the way of muscle. While he's got excellent straight line speed, he's not a great route runner. His leaked Wonderlic score was underwhelming, suggesting it might take him some time to learn the offense. It should be said that AJ Green had a lousy Wonderlic, and he's panned out OK for Cincinnati. I'm not a fan of picking Robey as a CB. Too small in an era where bigger WRs are in vogue.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-21-2013, 01:52 PM
if the qb they like is there, they will take him. trading down would be the dumbest move ever. why risk losing out, YET AGAIN, on a qb you like...

nix liked newton, ponder, wilson but didnt pull the trigger. he wont **** up again

sudzy
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
if the qb they like is there, they will take him. trading down would be the dumbest move ever. why risk losing out, YET AGAIN, on a qb you like...

nix liked newton, ponder, wilson but didnt pull the trigger. he wont **** up again

You lost me at Ponder

sudzy
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I believe 31 is too far down for the Bills to draft their QB of the future in Matt Barkley.

In this mock they have Nassib and Barkley falling into the third.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah but this mock has the Bills drafting Tyler Wilson which is mildly ******ed.

cookie G
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
I've seen worse. Wilson is kind of the forgotten man in the QB talk. But again, they put themselves in a situation where they are desperate. They may have to take another next year, so be it.

-I love the WR picks, especially taking 2 early. Its a tough choice between Woods and Hunter. Upside vs. polish, you might say, I might like Woods better right now, but Hunter's got talent. I'd be really happy to get Swope there.

-Not a huge fan of Okefor, but don't really hate him either.

-I'd switch out Gholston for Brian Schwenke, based on how that mock goes down. He could fill in right away for Levitre. And I'd still take Chase Thomas.

feldspar
04-21-2013, 03:44 PM

First of all, it's sort of impossible to pull the trigger on the #1 overall pick in the draft. We had as much of a shot at Cam Newton as we did Andrew Luck last year. I'm glad we didn't get Ponder...I was thinking about him in a later round, but the trend now is to reach for QBs more than ever. The risk is a lot less than it used to be because of the rookie wage scale.

Besides investing in Fitzpatrick in the first place, where Nix screwed up the most was by not getting a contingency plan at QB...at least a developmental guy that had some measure of promise. I mean guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and Kirk Cousins. I was sitting there just praying we'd get every one of those guys as those drafts went down.

Personally, I think that trading down this year would be the best thing to do...the best thing would be to trade with the VIKINGS though, NOT the 49ers. The Vikings very well might want to trade up to get a WR, and they have two first round picks that are higher than the 49ers' one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BOTH of those teams try to trade up, with all the draft picks they have this year.

I don't think there is much of a chance we miss out on our guy if we trade down with the Vikings. There just isn't anybody there that NEEDS a QB enough to take one between 9 and the Vikings pick.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 03:56 PM
First of all, it's sort of impossible to pull the trigger on the #1 overall pick in the draft. We had as much of a shot at Cam Newton as we did Andrew Luck last year. I'm glad we didn't get Ponder...I was thinking about him in a later round, but the trend now is to reach for QBs more than ever. The risk is a lot less than it used to be because of the rookie wage scale.

Besides investing in Fitzpatrick in the first place, where Nix screwed up the most was by not getting a contingency plan at QB...at least a developmental guy that had some measure of promise. I mean guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and Kirk Cousins. I was sitting there just praying we'd get every one of those guys as those drafts went down.

Personally, I think that trading down this year would be the best thing to do...the best thing would be to trade with the VIKINGS though, NOT the 49ers. The Vikings very well might want to trade up to get a WR, and they have two first round picks that are higher than the 49ers' one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BOTH of those teams try to trade up, with all the draft picks they have this year.

I don't think there is much of a chance we miss out on our guy if we trade down with the Vikings. There just isn't anybody there that NEEDS a QB enough to take one between 9 and the Vikings pick.

The worst part is, is that the Bills had the opportunity to draft Wilson and Cousins and I wanted them both. I was screaming at the tv when their picks came up.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the 49ers picked Kaepernick up a few picks before the Bills

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe I'm wrong about Cousins. I think the Redskins picked him up before the Bills in the 4th.

feldspar
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM

You are incorrect about that. The Bills had the 2nd pick in the 2nd round in 2011. They picked Aaron Williams...then with the next pick the Bengals took Andy Dalton, and the pick after that the 49ers took Kaepernick. Personally, I never really wanted Dalton...I wanted Kap in the second, and we had our golden opportunity.

Maybe I'm wrong about Cousins. I think the Redskins picked him up before the Bills in the 4th.

You are correct that the Redskins took Cousins before the Bills in the 4th round last year...a few spots higher. I was really dumbfounded that they did that considering how much they'd already given up to get RG3 in the same draft. It was a real head-scratcher at the time, but turned out to be a really good move considering what he did for that team last year alone. Maybe there is a lesson in there someplace. QB is the most important position in all sports.

BillsFever21
04-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Nope. The Bills had the choice of Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in the 2011 draft. They had the second pick in the second round but they thought Aaron Williams was more valuable. This was even before Fitzpatrick had his good month in the 2011 season and they gave him a big contract only to see him tumble immediately afterwards.

After we took the great Aaron Williams the Bengals took Dalton and then the 49ers(moved up in the 2nd round I believe) drafted Kaepernick. Then of course they had their chance with Wilson last year too but took TJ Graham instead.

BillsFever21
04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
You are incorrect about that. The Bills had the 2nd pick in the 2nd round in 2011. They picked Aaron Williams...then with the next pick the Bengals took Andy Dalton, and the pick after that the 49ers took Kaepernick. Personally, I never really wanted Dalton...I wanted Kap in the second, and we had our golden opportunity.

You are correct that the Redskins took Cousins before the Bills in the 4th round last year...a few spots higher. I was really dumbfounded that they did that considering how much they'd already given up to get RG3 in the same draft. It was a real head-scratcher at the time, but turned out to be a really good move considering what he did for that team last year alone. Maybe there is a lesson in there someplace. QB is the most important position in all sports.

From what I've heard on TV they took him because Shanny wasn't really thrilled with giving up all the draft picks to move up for RG3 and wanted to draft Cousins from the start in the middle rounds. He wanted to build up the rest of the team and get Cousins later on. When he was still there in the 4th it was to good of value for him to pass up on him when he wanted him in the 1st place. At the worse they had a guy they could develop as a backup for RG3 and play if get got injured and probably eventually end up trading for a 2nd round pick in a year or two.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Nope. The Bills had the choice of Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in the 2011 draft. They had the second pick in the second round but they thought Aaron Williams was more valuable. This was even before Fitzpatrick had his good month in the 2011 season and they gave him a big contract only to see him tumble immediately afterwards.

After we took the great Aaron Williams the Bengals took Dalton and then the 49ers(moved up in the 2nd round I believe) drafted Kaepernick. Then of course they had their chance with Wilson last year too but took TJ Graham instead.

I realized that after I posted and looked it up. Buddy Nix is a ******. Why does he still have a job?

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM

I was sick to my stomach when didn't take him. I thought for sure they were taking him when I saw the Bills were moving up. They brought him in for a visit and everything. Buddy is such a ******.

CoolBreeze
04-21-2013, 11:06 PM

I couldn't agree more. If the Bills have the choice of ANY QB in the draft at #8, but do not select the one they see fit, well that'd be full on stupidity. I don't care what ratings they're receiving, when you can pick any QB in the draft and need one you have to pull the trigger.