PDA

View Full Version : Millers time with Sabres near the end?

BADTHINGSMAN
04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Interesting article to read.

http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/millers-time-with-sabres-is-near-the-end-245467.html

swiper
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Good.

DetDannyWilliams
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
c'mon it's Jerry "Negative" Sullivan :lol: he's just writing dribble as always, now if Vogl wrote this it could mean something but coming from Sullivan paleeeease give me a break! also Harrington was trying to get Rolston all riled up the other night in the press conference. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/04/postgame-audio-a-disconcerting-end-to-playoff-hopes-1.html?ref=bmh

BADTHINGSMAN
04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Sullivan or not, Miller has seemed to have quit. At 32 ship his ass out and continue to rebuild.

Dude
04-21-2013, 02:58 PM
c'mon it's Jerry "Negative" Sullivan :lol: he's just writing dribble as always, now if Vogl wrote this it could mean something but coming from Sullivan paleeeease give me a break! also Harrington was trying to get Rolston all riled up the other night in the press conference. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/04/postgame-audio-a-disconcerting-end-to-playoff-hopes-1.html?ref=bmh
The truth hurts, doesn't it?

YardRat
04-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Not a fan of Sully in the least, in fact I think he's a ****tard, but he hit all bullseyes in that piece. The time for Miller to go was a couple of seasons ago in all reality, but better late than never.

Skooby
04-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Let's try to trade him for picks again, maybe this time he won't become so hormonal for his new team.

I still say check his pads for blood.

tampabay25690
04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
SAD
But the MEDIA and FANS of Buffaloa re making it this way!!!!!!!!!!
IM actually sick to be a Buffalo fan...........

You guys have no idea what really happens at SABRES LAND..........
Well I Do.............

Ryan never wanted to leave and never asked for teams to be traded for..........
But the BUFFALO media have nothing better to do then make a GUY hate the city he put his heart and sole into.............

It actually makes me SICK.....................
U guys ask for him to be traded out and u have no CLUE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the heart and sole of this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN

tampabay25690
04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Sullivan or not, Miller has seemed to have quit. At 32 ship his ass out and continue to rebuild.

HA HA

PTI
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
I would not boo him, but he has to be replaced here. He is not the reason the Sabres stink this year, but he was part if it.

Typ0
04-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I am going to preface this with I only listened to the games this year and did not watch them ... hockey sucks on the radio LOL.

With that in mind...I thought Miller had a great season. For him, to stay mentally focused while getting peppered with shots the way he was demonstrated a lot of improvement in his game over prior seasons. Every goalie lets in bad goals sometimes. I just got the impression he was better this year and is a goal tender that can really help a team in the playoffs. Yes, there is a sense that goaltenders are a dime a dozen when they have good teams in front of them. It's a shame to have this guy on the squad and clearly looking to elevate his game as opposed to mentally taking a free ride ... and then to just say it's no big deal to see him move on. They should let him play out his contract and consider offering him an extension during the season next year.

Dude
04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Yes, it's the media and fans' fault the Sabres suck. :rolleyes:

Typ0
04-21-2013, 09:16 PM
It's not Millers fault. The team in front of him is what sucked not him.

tampabay25690
04-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes, it's the media and fans' fault the Sabres suck. :rolleyes:

Keep running out your stars and that will help others come to Buffalo...

Typ0
04-21-2013, 09:32 PM
yeah. The mentality of this team was piss poor ... and he called them on it. It was Miller that came right out and called for change in all facet's of the organization. If they stick with him it's a guy to build a real team with ... if not they are chicken **** and letting a player that strives for excellence both in his own play and his team mates walk.

Skooby
04-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Keep running out your stars and that will help others come to Buffalo...

He's out of time, 32 with a 1-2 softie a game minimum is not going to help us much.

WagonCircler
04-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Even if Miller had a great season (which he didn't, he had a good season) it's beside the point. To resign him would take a boatload of money, which would be paid out while the team rebuilds--a team that, best case scenario, could be competitve in 3-4 years. By that time, Miller is 36 years old, i.e. finished.

Like Sully the Douche says, that money could be put to much better use.

It's time to get what we can for him, while he still has some value. As of now, the returns are diminishing.

gebobs
04-22-2013, 07:16 AM
I still say check his pads for blood.
Jesus...really?

Typ0
04-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Even if Miller had a great season (which he didn't, he had a good season) it's beside the point. To resign him would take a boatload of money, which would be paid out while the team rebuilds--a team that, best case scenario, could be competitve in 3-4 years. By that time, Miller is 36 years old, i.e. finished.

It's time to get what we can for him, while he still has some value. As of now, the returns are diminishing.

1. This team does not need a 4 year rebuild. What it needs is leadership. It is much closer than you are saying ... however, it needs some pieces in place that aren't there to gel with the guys in the food chain and get them up and running.

2. Since when is 36 washed up for a goaltender?

Dude
04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Keep running out your stars and that will help others come to Buffalo...If the team lets fans and/or media dictate their moves, then they have bigger problems than a terrible GM and a buffoon for an owner.

trapezeus
04-22-2013, 09:29 AM
it's really difficult to rebuild quickly with miller. he is an above average goalie that plays incredibly well when given talent around him. he isn't hasek. he can't win a season on his own.

plus his game is one of being technically sound and positioned correctly. he isn't the fastest reaction goalie. so as he gets older and slower, the decline will be more abrupt than in a goalie who is more of an athlete or reflexive. That's my opinion and i could be wrong. but i just think you'll see a season where he just falls off a cliff. and it's probably closer to 35 than 40.

i don't doubt that he's a good guy and he deserved better. but this isn't working. the team performed better without stars than with. You kind of have to start over. Ship out the last two contracts you have in vanek and miller and start over.

i think the writing was on the wall when they made that pominville trade for another goalie. There just is no way they come back next year with enroth, the new guy and miller.

i don't hate miller, but i think he's at that stage where he probably knows its best to go to a team that can help him instead of being the guy who always is asked to help for others.

PTI
04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Yes, I think they come out next year with Enroth and Hackett, and if they blow, you would see an older vet be traded for to play.

WagonCircler
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
1. This team does not need a 4 year rebuild. What it needs is leadership. It is much closer than you are saying ... however, it needs some pieces in place that aren't there to gel with the guys in the food chain and get them up and running.

2. Since when is 36 washed up for a goaltender?

Miller is already not the player he was a few years ago.

Some Goaltenders get better at age 36, I guess. I've just never seen one. In decades. Or....ever. That's because they really don't.

And this team absolutely needs a 4 year rebuild. They know it. That's why they've shifted strategy from signing aging FA's (Robyn Regehr) to stockpiling draft choice in exchange for aging FAs (Robyn Regehr, et. al.).

trapezeus
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
4 years is excessive. you got a little fight from the no names on the team currently. if you can buy a superstar line with one premium center (more like drury and plays two ways well) and get a top 3 winger, you might have something with a Vanek, rookie, and good center. Then you have hodgson, foligno, ennis. you move stafford for a bag of pucks, and you have a couple wingers and centers who will work pretty hard to be on lines 3-4.

on defense, they need a simplier system. how is it that myers looks so bad. how is it that no one really is good at blocking shots? how is it that no one can run the powerplay? It makes me believe its not really the players as much as its the coaches. guys come to the team and do well, but once they assimilate, they just have no clue whats going on.

so you put a new coach (outside the system) and one decent line, i think you can be a 6-8 seed next year. and like a new team can often do, they could bond and get hot at the right time.

with the picks the sabres have, they could package some picks for a player and or get back in the first round for another soon to be starter.

i just hate the idea of a 4 year rebuild for a hockey town.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Miller is already not the player he was a few years ago.

Some Goaltenders get better at age 36, I guess. I've just never seen one. In decades. Or....ever. That's because they really don't.

And this team absolutely needs a 4 year rebuild. They know it. That's why they've shifted strategy from signing aging FA's (Robyn Regehr) to stockpiling draft choice in exchange for aging FAs (Robyn Regehr, et. al.).Actually, Jacques Plante was pretty good in his late 30's and early 40's. I wouldn't say he got better, but he was still very good. Of course, he was one of the best goaltenders all time. Brodeur is still playing well at 40. Hasek played at a high level into his 40's

That said, you're right, it's very rare and most goalies don't even play that long.

I think it's time to get what you can for Miller.

SkateZilla
04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
How Old Is Broduer?

Typ0
04-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Typ0
04-22-2013, 04:42 PM
a 4 year rebuild is something you talk about when there is a serious lack of talent. this organization has a lot of talent in it. What it needs is people to get with the talent and lead them to consistency. Mentally, this group is off ... maybe it is a systemic issue too light you highlight and changing the system will help.

Actually, Jacques Plante was pretty good in his late 30's and early 40's. I wouldn't say he got better, but he was still very good. Of course, he was one of the best goaltenders all time. Brodeur is still playing well at 40. Hasek played at a high level into his 40's

That said, you're right, it's very rare and most goalies don't even play that long.

I think it's time to get what you can for Miller.

gebobs
04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
He's nearly 10 years younger than me. He turns 41 five days after I turn 51. He's in better shape now than I was at 21. :-)

swiper
04-22-2013, 06:04 PM

I can understand Luongo getting such a contract. Not Miller.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 06:07 PM
He's nearly 10 years younger than me. He turns 41 five days after I turn 51. He's in better shape now than I was at 21. :-)You left yourself wide open with that one, but being the classy individual I am I won't take any shots.:D

gebobs
04-22-2013, 06:12 PM
You left yourself wide open with that one, but being the classy individual I am I won't take any shots.:D
No need to pull any punches on that account. :-)

WagonCircler
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
4 years is excessive. you got a little fight from the no names on the team currently. if you can buy a superstar line with one premium center (more like drury and plays two ways well) and get a top 3 winger, you might have something with a Vanek, rookie, and good center. Then you have hodgson, foligno, ennis. you move stafford for a bag of pucks, and you have a couple wingers and centers who will work pretty hard to be on lines 3-4.

on defense, they need a simplier system. how is it that myers looks so bad. how is it that no one really is good at blocking shots? how is it that no one can run the powerplay? It makes me believe its not really the players as much as its the coaches. guys come to the team and do well, but once they assimilate, they just have no clue whats going on.

so you put a new coach (outside the system) and one decent line, i think you can be a 6-8 seed next year. and like a new team can often do, they could bond and get hot at the right time.

with the picks the sabres have, they could package some picks for a player and or get back in the first round for another soon to be starter.

i just hate the idea of a 4 year rebuild for a hockey town.

You can't buy the line you're wishing for while paying Miller and Vanek the kind of cash it will take to keep them here. It's an either/or situation, and we've seen what it looks like with Miller and Vanek.

I'm ready to see a housecleaning. Miller, Vanek and Myers. Then hire a Rick Dudley or equivalent to spend the bounty of draft choices and cap cash.

It's time the Darcy show was cancelled.

DetDannyWilliams
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Enroth lets in a softee and the Sabres lose 2-1! I've said it once and I'm going to say it again, Enroth is not a starting goaltender, he's just like Biron he's a great backup and that is all he will ever be!

coastal
04-22-2013, 09:13 PM
If we could have got Conacher for Miller... and we passed?

STUPID!

swiper
04-23-2013, 04:25 AM
Like that kid from Canisius!

Dude
04-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Enroth lets in a softee and the Sabres lose 2-1! I've said it once and I'm going to say it again, Enroth is not a starting goaltender, he's just like Biron he's a great backup and that is all he will ever be!
Only 1 goal scored by the Sabres, and you blame Enroth for the loss?

gebobs
04-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Only 1 goal scored by the Sabres, and you blame Enroth for the loss?
I didn't see that Enroth was solely blamed for the loss, only that he let in a soft goal. Then again, that is what I've always bristled at about the criticism of Miller. Enroth got peppered last night with 37 shots. And out of frustration, the hoot and holler of soft goal goes up. Looking at the replay, the shot might have been deflected by Stafford and certainly was screened by him. I dunno...I'll give Enroth a pass on that game. Since he was named first star, someone agrees.

I didn't see the game though and am left wondering why a player from the losing team who was on for both goals against, had no shots on net, and missed a wide open net in the first period gets the third star. Maybe someone here can fill me in.

But I agree with DDW. Enroth is a capable backup, but not a starter.

PTI
04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Enroth was first star in the game even though it was a loss, FWIW

SkateZilla
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
that soft goal was screened and deflected twice.... and he still got a peice of it.

Mski
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
SAD
But the MEDIA and FANS of Buffaloa re making it this way!!!!!!!!!!
IM actually sick to be a Buffalo fan...........

You guys have no idea what really happens at SABRES LAND..........
Well I Do.............

Ryan never wanted to leave and never asked for teams to be traded for..........
But the BUFFALO media have nothing better to do then make a GUY hate the city he put his heart and sole into.............

It actually makes me SICK.....................
U guys ask for him to be traded out and u have no CLUE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the heart and sole of this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMNconsidering that the last few years this team hasnt played with any heart or soul, that doesnt say much for him

DetDannyWilliams
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Sully has to Retraction this column!

gebobs
04-23-2013, 09:38 PM
He was the heart and sole of this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sounds delicious.