PDA

View Full Version : Ralph is CHEAP.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130420/CITYANDREGION/130429863/1002

Former equipment manager sues Bills, alleging ageism

<header> By Phil Fairbanks (pfairbanks@buffnews.com) | News Staff Reporter on April 20, 2013 - 9:09 PM
, updated April 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM

</header>

When Dave Hojnowski, the Buffalo Bills’ longtime equipment manager and a presence in the Bills locker room for 35 years, left the team last year, the Bills described it as a retirement.
Hojnowski tells a far different story in the federal lawsuit he filed against the team Thursday.
In the suit, Hojnowski says he was fired, not retired, and that his age – he’s 54 – was a key factor in the Bills’ decision to let him go.
“This guy was there for 35 years,” said Andrew Fleming, the attorney representing Hojnowski. “He’s been doing this for decades. He even trained his replacement.”
Scott P. Horton, an attorney for the Bills, said the team could not comment at this point.
Hojnowski says he was fired in large part because of an inquiry his wife made about a health insurance benefit he would qualify for upon turning 55.
About a week later, according to the suit, Hojnowski was called into General Manager Buddy Nix’s office and told that “things weren’t going well” and that he was being fired.
The suit also says he was just 15 months away from reaching retirement age and qualifying for the post-retirement medical insurance benefit his wife asked about.
“That the Buffalo Bills would terminate a 35-year employee a week after his wife inquired about a health insurance benefit is, in my opinion, simply awful,” Fleming said.
As the team’s equipment manager, Hojnowski became a fixture in the locker room and a friend to many players. He was one of several Bills employees mentioned by former quarterback Jim Kelly in his Hall of Fame speech in 2002.
When Hojnowski, who is known as HoJo by the players, finally left last year, he was believed to be the longest-serving member of the team’s locker room support staff and one of the longest-tenured employees in the organization.
Hojnowski, a North Tonawanda resident, says his departure was not voluntary and, in his suit, outlines several instances of what he suggests is the real reason he left the team: age discrimination.
He contends, for example, that he was passed over for promotion in favor of an equipment manager 20 years his junior and that younger members of the staff often used derogatory terms to describe his age.
He also says he was restricted to the locker room on game days, was not allowed to travel as much as in the past and in general saw his duties and responsibilities diminished.
Fleming said the most telling incident may have been his annual review in early 2012, when Nix asked him how old he was and when he intended to retire.
“I think that’s evidence that his age was being taken into account,” Fleming said.
Hojnowski is seeking an unspecified amount in compensatory and punitive damages from the Bills.
email: pfairbanks@buffnews.com

stuckincincy
04-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Dollar envy.

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Nix had the balls to ask a 53 year old when he would retire?

Nix must be gone before June 1st.

What an incompetent *******.

Novacane
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Hojnowski says he was fired in large part because of an inquiry his wife made about a health insurance benefit he would qualify for upon turning 55.

About a week later, according to the suit, Hojnowski was called into General Manager Buddy Nix’s office and told that “things weren’t going well” and that he was being fired.

After all this time we find out it's the equipment managers fault things haven't been going well!!!!! Thanks Buddy..You're awesome!!!!!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
the sky is blue, our govt is corrupt, and ralph is cheap....

duh

Skooby
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Clear them all out Buddy, 50 is the max age allowed.

Lexwhat
04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know the whole story behind this, so I won't jump to conclusions in his case, but this story doesn't surprise me one bit. As a poster mentioned above, it's funny that Buddy Nix had the balls to make an age comment to someone else.

Regardless of this story being true or not, I can't wait for Nix to be gone.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I hate Russ and Buddy.

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I hate Russ and Buddy.

That is pretty much the only thing I like about you.

tampabay25690
04-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Do u think this is the real story??
Honestly???????????????
He is actually my grandparents neighbor

feldspar
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah, because it's entirely out of the question that this guy was fired for different reasons.

Fired as a result of ageism by a guy that's old enough to be his father in a company whose owner is old enough to be his grandfather. The Bills have HIRED many people older than him. Accusing the Bills of age discrimination is laughable. 54 is YOUNG for this ball club. LOL.

That leaves the issue of the health insurance benefits. The REAL question becomes how much money the Bills would have to pay out-of-pocket for this, and I don't see it adding up to enough to fire the guy over.

Something smells about this guy's story IMO.

...age discrimination HA!

kingJofNYC
04-21-2013, 05:10 PM
And yet you're still going to buy season tickets and watch this team.

feldspar
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Because the Bills are guilty by accusation? Is that the way it works now?

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Do u think this is the real story??
Honestly???????????????
He is actually my grandparents neighbor

What's the real story then?

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Already did.

pmoon6
04-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know if this is true or not, but I know for a fact that age is taken into consideration in business in general. The managers involved are usually smart enough to say, "We are eliminating the position" and then change a job description, duties and hire someone younger for half the salary. Companies have even more latitude in hiring and say "Not competitive enough" or "interviewed poorly" and then you stop in when the company hired someone, it's a young guy. Makes sense, why hire a 57 year old, regardless of experience, that can retire in 5 or 8 years when you can hire a 30 year old with a lot of road in front of him.

The reason I know is it happened to me. I talked to my sister-in-law, who is a lawyer, and she said it's very difficult to prove.

Historian
04-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Hate to see this happen to anyone, regardless of who the employer is.

Almost hard to believe, but Hojo goes back to when Jim Ringo was head coach.

justasportsfan
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
there's gotta be more to this story. On one hand, Ralph is a prideful guy which means if you rub him the wrong way, he'll get rid of you regardless if you're Polian or Butler. On the other hand, he's given millions to charity so I'm not sure if money for a long time employee would be a problem. :idunno:

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
there's gotta be more to this story. On one hand, Ralph is a prideful guy which means if you rub him the wrong way, he'll get rid of you regardless if you're Polian or Butler. On the other hand, he's given millions to charity so I'm not sure if money for a long time employee would be a problem. :idunno:I think Ralph is pretty much out of the loop. From what I understand, he's ill, so why would Russ Brandon consult him about an equipment guy?

trapezeus
04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
just seems odd that a team thats willing to let kelsay stay around for 10 years through multiple contracts was so angry about the equipment manager. but this is classic bills behavior. there are no real rules for the lower employees or front office staff, so they pay them poorly comparatively and expect better results.

if ralph didn't suck at being a football owner for 50 years, you'd be more inclined to want to hear both sides of the story. however, knowing his past, this case sounds pretty easy to solve without knowing much more.

i hope the bilils don't get to trot out that they had buddy, chan and marv on their payroll, so they can't possibly be ageists.

in a beautiful world, the court would just award this equipment manager the team and we'd watch him run the draft by following the majority opinion and win a championship in 3-5 years.

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2013, 09:55 AM
What does this have to do with Ralph? This whole thing is dumb, who cares.

Night Train
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
The " More To The Story " thought is probably the right avenue. Still, Andrew Fleming is the best labor attorney in WNY. Lawyer up, Bills.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
just seems odd that a team thats willing to let kelsay stay around for 10 years through multiple contracts was so angry about the equipment manager. but this is classic bills behavior. there are no real rules for the lower employees or front office staff, so they pay them poorly comparatively and expect better results.

if ralph didn't suck at being a football owner for 50 years, you'd be more inclined to want to hear both sides of the story. however, knowing his past, this case sounds pretty easy to solve without knowing much more.

i hope the bilils don't get to trot out that they had buddy, chan and marv on their payroll, so they can't possibly be ageists.

in a beautiful world, the court would just award this equipment manager the team and we'd watch him run the draft by following the majority opinion and win a championship in 3-5 years.With the publicity, I would expect the Bills to settle.

Throwing a regular working guy under the bus probably won't play well in a blue collar town.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
What does this have to do with Ralph? This whole thing is dumb, who cares.No it's not. It will give insight into the inner workings of the organization. How they handle the situation will speak volumes about management's attitudes toward their employees. Remember, players are employees as well, way more important, but employees just the same.

BertSquirtgum
04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
What does this have to do with Ralph? This whole thing is dumb, who cares.

Really? Who owns the Buffalo Bills?

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Really? Who owns the Buffalo Bills?

Really? You think senile billionaire Ralph is making personnel decisions pertaining to equipment managers? You're as clueless as you are annoying.

WagonCircler
04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Go HoJo!!!

Great guy. I hope he DESTROYS Ralph in court.

BertSquirtgum
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Really? You think senile billionaire Ralph is making personnel decisions pertaining to equipment managers? You're as clueless as you are annoying.

The question was, what does this have to do with Ralph? The answer is, everything, he owns the Buffalo Bills. Great job being a *****.

trapezeus
04-22-2013, 11:09 AM
the players are at least covered by the union rules. the rest of the employees are not protected by much. and while i don't fret that littman and russ haven't set themselves up nicely in the event they are let go, i doubt a guy making under $100k for the last 30 years has the same luxuries.

i can't imagine why he would have to retire as an equipment manager. his job can't be tied to the success of the team. he's a small piece. and he's been there through several cycles of winning (1 8 year period) and losing (the rest of the 60 years).

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
The question was, what does this have to do with Ralph? The answer is, everything, he owns the Buffalo Bills. Great job being a *****.
Ok, then how does this story make Ralph cheap? I know I cant reason with you so I'm going to stop trying.

Oh and I'm being a *****? You're probably the most ignorant person on the entire board, go troll somewhere else.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
senile billionaire RalphAnd you know he's senile, how? There are many people in there '90's that still have good presence of mind. Have you talked to him or are you just using the number? If it's the latter, you are guilty of the same ageism the Bills are being accused of.

Bert102176
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Russ and Buddy are a couple of horse's asses