PDA

View Full Version : 1983 NFL Draft first 25 picks

NOT THE DUDE...
04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
1983 NFL Draft first 25 picks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vL0MpmIh88

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 06:58 PM
I think you're obsessed with the draft dude.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Bills draft talk starts at 1:01.00

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 07:30 PM
1:15:00 is the start of the second Bills draft pick.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I forgot how amazing the 1983 draft was for quarterbacks. Crazy.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Sounded like Kelly was happy to be drafted by the Bills. I was only a little tike when this happened. I thought he refused to play for the Bills?

pmoon6
04-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Sounded like Kelly was happy to be drafted by the Bills. I was only a little tike when this happened. I thought he refused to play for the Bills?He wasn't really thrilled. He wanted to play for Pittsburgh. Kelly was ready to sign with us and legend has it he had the pen in his hand.

A secretary put through a call into the office and the caller asked to speak to Kelly. It was Jerry Argovitz, owner of the Houston Gamblers. Argovitz told Kelly not to sign anything and he would pay him more than anything Buffalo offered. Jimbo was off to Houston

THRILLHO
04-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Back when drafts were exciting. It was a lot of speculation, and not up to the minute info.

Also you cant show players on their cell phones, ruining who the pick is.

pmoon6
04-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Back when drafts were exciting. It was a lot of speculation, and not up to the minute info.

Also you cant show players on their cell phones, ruining who the pick is.Yeah, there used to just be a cab driver with inside info on the Bills.

feldspar
04-22-2013, 06:52 AM
I think you're obsessed with the draft dude.

He's not the dude.

k-oneputt
04-22-2013, 07:17 AM
The draft where the KC and Jets scouts all outsmarted everybody with their qb picks.

They just knew that qb from Cal-Davis was better then Marino. LOL.

feldspar
04-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Funny to hear some of the ridiculous opinions in hindsight, though. Like Chris Berman saying how surprised he was that anyone would think Jim Kelly (or Tony Eason) was better than Todd Blackledge. Tony Hunter was supposed to be like Kelen Winslow. Thirty years later, and opinions are still ridiculous quite a bit.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Funny to hear some of the ridiculous opinions in hindsight, though. Like Chris Berman saying how surprised he was that anyone would think Jim Kelly (or Tony Eason) was better than Todd Blackledge. Tony Hunter was supposed to be like Kelen Winslow. Thirty years later, and opinions are still ridiculous quite a bit.Equally ridiculous are people that point out the stupidity after the fact. I'm sure lots of people knew this before the '83 draft.

feldspar
04-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Equally ridiculous are people that point out the stupidity after the fact. I'm sure lots of people knew this before the '83 draft.

Just sayin', old chum. How ridiculous are people that point out the stupidity of those that point out the stupidity of other people? I was, of course, referring to hindsight, as I used that particular word. I did not use the word "stupidity."

You STILL have multitudes of people thinking that so-and-so thinks such-and-such about a draft prospect, so it must be true...or they are at least swayed by these opinions. Popular opinion doesn't really mean that much at all in tons of cases, yet most people just go around repeating what they've heard somewhere else and think they know something.

People just don't know, and I say these things because a lot of them don't seem to realize they don't know.

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Just sayin', old chum. How ridiculous are people that point out the stupidity of those that point out the stupidity of other people? I was, of course, referring to hindsight, as I used that particular word. I did not use the word "stupidity."

You STILL have multitudes of people thinking that so-and-so thinks such-and-such about a draft prospect, so it must be true...or they are at least swayed by these opinions. Popular opinion doesn't really mean that much at all in tons of cases, yet most people just go around repeating what they've heard somewhere else and think they know something.

People just don't know, and I say these things because a lot of them don't seem to realize they don't know.OK, I got ya now. I was always amused when one GM or coach was deemed a genius because his draft picks worked out a larger percentage of the time and the ones that had picks not work out as idiots. At best, evaluating talent is an educated guess, an inexact science, and why players are called "prospects".

I also laugh when the draftnics mock Mel Kiper because they think they know more than he does. Kiper has made a living from rating players and he really started the hobby and so many fans do the same.

I like to watch the draft and listen to all the different opinions, but I never took it too seriously.

mjt328
04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Funny to hear some of the ridiculous opinions in hindsight, though. Like Chris Berman saying how surprised he was that anyone would think Jim Kelly (or Tony Eason) was better than Todd Blackledge. Tony Hunter was supposed to be like Kelen Winslow. Thirty years later, and opinions are still ridiculous quite a bit.

I was thinking the same thing.

In hindsight, it's hilarious to hear the "experts" doubting whether Jim Kelly or Dan Marino would be worth Top 5 picks.

Historian
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Does anybody talk about Marino's coke problem?

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Does anybody talk about Marino's coke problem?I never had a "problem", but the cocaine was primo when I lived in S. Florida in the mid '70's. Hard to resist. Besides, Danny is getting older. A little Bolivian Marching Powder couldn't hurt and you really didn't think he lost weight with just Nutrasystem, did ya?

mjt328
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote from the guy with glasses:

"10 years from now, Eason will be the quarterback remembered from this draft, even more so than Elway."

Wow.

k-oneputt
04-22-2013, 11:21 AM

"10 years from now, Eason will be the quarterback remembered from this draft, even more so than Elway."

Wow.

That sounds like something a Bills scout would say.

I quess Marino tearing it up at Pitt wasn't as good as O'Brien tearing it up at Cal-Davis.

Another pick that say's "were smarter then you".

I really believe some scouts and gm's look to find that obscure guy so they can show everyone how smart they {think} are.

Historian
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
On the other hand...Eason was the first to get to a Super Bowl, lol

:couch:

gebobs
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Wow.
You gotta go out on a limb if anyone is going to remember your predictions 10 years from now. Picking an Illini QB will do that, if one ever does anything in the NFL. Eason might have been the best. Jeff George was a schlep. Jack Trudeau was CFL material.

gebobs
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
On the other hand...Eason was the first to get to a Super Bowl, lolWasn't it Marino?

pmoon6
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Wasn't it Marino?Yes.

I don't know if I would have wanted to go to the Super Bowl for the AFC in '85. Sacrificial lambs.

THRILLHO
04-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Also you cant show players on their cell phones, ruining who the pick is.

So I typed this, then I got to our first pick. Low and behold, there is Tony Hunter on a phone and the commentators say "Well there is Tony on the phone, I guess we know who Buffalo is picking." Haha.

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Yes.

I don't know if I would have wanted to go to the Super Bowl for the AFC in '85. Sacrificial lambs.

Well the fish had a shot at it, they could have beaten the Bears but I doubt they would have. Couldn't beat Eason and the Pats. But Marino was the only QB who had a chance against that D because of his release. Proved it in the regular season.

Eason was good for a while, injuries just killed him though. The only real bust out of them was Blackledge, he was terrible.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 01:23 AM
wasnt ken obrien good?

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 01:39 AM
wasnt ken obrien good?

Went to the playoffs a few times, the AFCE was a great division back then.

He's got a few single game records.

gebobs
04-23-2013, 06:55 AM
So I typed this, then I got to our first pick. Low and behold, there is Tony Hunter on a phone and the commentators say "Well there is Tony on the phone, I guess we know who Buffalo is picking." Haha.
That piece of garbage cashed his check and probably didn't come out of his coke binge until training camp. Do not draft out of ND. It never goes well for the Bills.

Historian
04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Wasn't it Marino?

Yea, you're right...Marino 84 and Eason 85.

And it's funny....O'Brien used to tear us up.

Until we drafted a certain DE from Virginia Tech.

pmoon6
04-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Yea, you're right...Marino 84 and Eason 85.

And it's funny....O'Brien used to tear us up.

Until we drafted a certain DE from Virginia Tech.Except Eason was pulled early against the Bears after not completing any of his 6 passes and fumbling in his own territory. He was also getting the **** kicked out of him. Steve Grogan played most of the game, although he didn't fare any better.

The Jets usually played us tough even in our glory years.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 07:40 AM
last time bills took a qb high... ugh

pmoon6
04-23-2013, 07:41 AM
wasnt ken obrien good?Yeah, he was. His Achilles heel was he couldn't handle pressure. He would get antsy in the pocket and throw interceptions, which goes to what Historian said about Number 78.

Albany,n.y.
04-23-2013, 05:21 PM
The way these guys were hyping Hunter, they must have been best friends with his agent.
For a moment I forgot where I am & when the Giants were on the clock I started hoping they would take Tony Hunter & spare us from the TE who was going to be the next Kellen Winslow.
Getting back to 2013, it seems like nothing has changed in 30 years-guys on TV hyping our 1st pick, turns into a bust. 1st round pick in 1983, traded in 1985 for Ferragamo who doesn't even last the season & a 3rd that turns into Leonard Burton.

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
So I'm watching this new 30 for 30 ESPN has on the draft.

All their talking about is Marino and Elway, like Jim Kelly never even played a snap.

I don't get it, there are THREE HoF QB's in that draft, why only talk about two of them?

I mean all I'v seen that they shown is a literally 20 second clip of Jim saying he's proud of his NFL career and that's it.

Marino has all these records but he and Kelly both didn't win a super bowl. Why isn't he getting any credit at all?

The Jokeman
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
On the other hand...Eason was the first to get to a Super Bowl, lol

:couch:

and he won as many as Jim Kelly won too!

The Jokeman
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
So I'm watching this new 30 for 30 ESPN has on the draft.

All their talking about is Marino and Elway, like Jim Kelly never even played a snap.

I don't get it, there are THREE HoF QB's in that draft, why only talk about two of them?

I mean all I'v seen that they shown is a literally 20 second clip of Jim saying he's proud of his NFL career and that's it.

Marino has all these records but he and Kelly both didn't win a super bowl. Why isn't he getting any credit at all?
Because Kelly was a good NFL QB not great. I could easily debate the Bills might have won one of the 4 Super Bowls had we had Elway or Marino instead of Jim. As the truth is Kelly was a great system QB but was at his worst when was playing the biggest game of the season. I don't care if people comment how many more wins Jim had over Elway or Marino, I contend we had a better team around him than the Broncos or Dolphins most of those years.

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Because Kelly was a good NFL QB not great. I could easily debate the Bills might have won one of the 4 Super Bowls had we had Elway or Marino instead of Jim. As the truth is Kelly was a great system QB but was at his worst when was playing the biggest game of the season. I don't care if people comment how many more wins Jim had over Elway or Marino, I contend we had a better team around him than the Broncos or Dolphins most of those years.

TBH I won't argue against that, BUT, It's not like Jim Kelly was like Eason or Blackledge, he is in the damn HoF. That has to count towards more than a 20 second mention.

pmoon6
04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Because Kelly was a good NFL QB not great. I could easily debate the Bills might have won one of the 4 Super Bowls had we had Elway or Marino instead of Jim. As the truth is Kelly was a great system QB but was at his worst when was playing the biggest game of the season. I don't care if people comment how many more wins Jim had over Elway or Marino, I contend we had a better team around him than the Broncos or Dolphins most of those years.:rofl: The Jokeman indeed.

gebobs
04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Because Kelly was a good NFL QB not great. I could easily debate the Bills might have won one of the 4 Super Bowls had we had Elway or Marino instead of Jim.
Or that Miami might have gone to more than one with Marino if he didn't get pwn'd for 11 years of his career at the hands of the Kelly and the K-Gun. While Kelly and Marino were in the league together, the Bills were 16-7 against the Fish. Take away the bookend years of '86 and '96, they were 16-3. He was also 5-2 against Elway.

As the truth is Kelly was a great system QB but was at his worst when was playing the biggest game of the season.
Sure...apples and oranges. No way Marino could have pulled off the K-Gun. He's as dumb as a box of bricks. But talent out the wazoo. And talk about choking in big games, Marino was no slouch there either. Neither was Elway. He was 0-4 in the SB before the NFC finally crumbled under a decade+ of dominance.

Oh, and Kelly was undefeated against those guys in the playoffs.

I don't care if people comment how many more wins Jim had over Elway or Marino, I contend we had a better team around him than the Broncos or Dolphins most of those years.
And we beat their asses...every year.

Kelly was a great QB. He is the only QB to EVER run the no-huddle as a scheme. HOF...end of story.

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2013, 09:49 PM

The Hall of Fame disagrees with you and so do I.

gebobs
04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
I've seen some self-loathing Bills fan posts, made a few bazillion myself I suppose, but that one is ridonkulous.

Mr. Pink
04-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Elway was the best QB out of that class, make no mistake about it

He carried the Broncos to the Superbowl in 86 and 87 with no marquee weapons, no running game and a middle of the pack defense.

1989 overall they were a better team just ran into a buzzsaw called the 49ers.

Then when he finally got a running game that was any good, he won 2 Superbowls.

Teams, not individual players, win titles usually...Elway won 2 AFC titles basically by himself but needed more of a team around him to get over the NFL title hump.