X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Matt Barkley: Should be the Pick at 8

I have been watching everything I can on this kid and from what I have seen there is no reason why the Bills shouldn't pick Barkley at 8 if they want to turn this franchise around.

We need a QB, he has a lot of talent, good size and a good enough arm. Everyone said Drew Brees and Matt Ryan also had weak arms but that has certainly not been the case.

This is what I see from Barkley:

Basically he is for me the most talented thrower in the QB class. His accuracy is just one of the things I love about his throws, he can put the football anywhere he wants and often puts the ball in the perfect spot to allow his receiver to run after the catch. His throws to his RBs are flawless and puts the perfect touch on his swing passes his RB needs to explode forward and never has to worry about reaching for the pass. He throws very receiver friendly passes.

That brings me to his touch, I don't think you can be a much better touch thrower than Barkley. The guy uses his touch and accuracy to drop the ball over the correct shoulder of his receivers downfield easily. This is what I like about him most, his receivers don't even have to win with speed because his throws can be placed only where the receiver can catch it. Probably the best red zone thrower in this class which is another huge plus as making throws in compressed red zone situations is often the hardest thing for a young QB.

Arm strength --- Barkley has more than enough. I have seen him on several occasions just flick his wrist and the ball travels 40 yards downfield. I really don't think there is a throw Barkley can't make. I would have liked to see more seem throws from him but I think that has more to do with the offense Kiffin calls than Barkley not being able to hit it. Still, he hit enough of them for me to know he can if he wants.

Barkley is not a runner, that is obvious, but he has great mobility. He moves well in the pocket and has great feel for pressure. Will step up and to the side when needed and keep his eyes downfield. Will also stand in and make the throw in the face of pressure. Can use different release points to create the completion, that is another think I like about him.

Lastly, Barkley is just a natural QB. He has been playing the position a long time at top programs and has a ton of experience. He is extremely smart, makes checks at the line and will often put his team in a good play. The kid just knows football and knows how to play QB. I think he is the closest thing to Drew Brees in this draft.

If Buffalo passes on this kid they are dumb. You cannot bank on the idea that someone as talented as him will be available in Rd. 2 or next year.

I would have loved to take guys like Austin, Mingo, Jones, Jordan or Ogletree at 8 but we need a QB and somehow Barkley, who we all would have loved to have 1 year ago, is available at 8 and we MUST take him.

People who think Nassib is anywhere near Barkley are insane to me or just throwing up smokescreens. Nassib has a nice release, quick and with lots of intent, but his touch is terrible. I like that he has a gun but I don't like his downfield accuracy. I think he can be a good QB but I don't think he is as talented as Barkley and won't be able to do the things Barkley can at the NFL level.
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Matt Barkley: Should be the Pick at 8

Agree 100%. Love his accuracy, demeanor, and pedigree.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

Agreed. I want Barkley at 8. He's very comparable to Drew Brees.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
        If Buffalo passes on this kid they are dumb
        OK

His stats facing pressure aren't the greatest and despite many saying he's the most ready NFL guy, he isn't without concerns. (health,size,decision making and more) Of all the QB's mentioned at 8 (and I DON'T want a QB at 8 ) he's probably the one guy that wouldn't cause me to yell " reach "... but passing on a top OT,OG and waiting a year for a far better QB class isn't the worst idea.

I'd rather develop a guy with more natural talent,size etc. than try to build a 6 million dollar man out of a Fitz.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
          OK

His stats facing pressure aren't the greatest and despite many saying he's the most ready NFL guy, he isn't without concerns. (health,size,decision making and more) Of all the QB's mentioned at 8 (and I DON'T want a QB at 8 ) he's probably the one guy that wouldn't cause me to yell " reach "... but passing on a top OT,OG and waiting a year for a far better QB class isn't the worst idea.

I'd rather develop a guy with more natural talent,size etc. than try to build a 6 million dollar man out of a Fitz.
          Natural talent? This kid is loaded with natural talent. Just watch him play. His throws are impeccable. And as for his size, he's like 6'2 1/2 225... not everyone has to be Joe Flacco.

What makes you think we will get a top ten pick next year anyway? Maybe next year we pick 13th and once again not get in position to take the top rated QBs. What then? Wait till next year?

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

My concerns with Barkley are that I feel he's limited. I think he's a NFL quality starter, but I'm not sure he's more than what Matt Schaub is. He's without a doubt a natural leader and a fierce competitor but physically he's limited and I wonder if his will to win can continue to trump his talent in the NFL as it did in HS and college. I've never watched Barkley make a throw and just go "Wow, look at that throw". That's not to say he's never made some great throws but just never wowed me in the games I saw.

His shoulder injury does bother me, as does the system, and his lack of experience putting throws into tight windows. All of that can be taught/dealt with but its a lot of concerns for a Top 10 pick.

For the record I have nearly identical concerns about Nassib.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

No.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Does any other QB in this draft meet the criteria under Parcells' rules?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  My concerns with Barkley are that I feel he's limited. I think he's a NFL quality starter, but I'm not sure he's more than what Matt Schaub is. He's without a doubt a natural leader and a fierce competitor but physically he's limited and I wonder if his will to win can continue to trump his talent in the NFL as it did in HS and college. I've never watched Barkley make a throw and just go "Wow, look at that throw". That's not to say he's never made some great throws but just never wowed me in the games I saw.

His shoulder injury does bother me, as does the system, and his lack of experience putting throws into tight windows. All of that can be taught/dealt with but its a lot of concerns for a Top 10 pick.

For the record I have nearly identical concerns about Nassib.
                  The Bills weren't worried about Jim Kelly's shoulder injury when they drafted him.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

My rankings based on talent, ability, leadership quality and demeanor:

1. Barkley
                    2. Smith
                    3. Nassib
                    4. Wilson
                    5. Manuel
                    6. Jones
                    7. Bray
                    8. Glennon

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                      The Bills weren't worried about Jim Kelly's shoulder injury when they drafted him.
                      True, but I think its a wee bit premature to compare Barkley to Kelly. Especially considering we don't know the grade of Kelly's separation in 82 but we do know that Barkley suffered a Grade 3 separation meaning that both his AC and CC ligaments were completely torn in his shoulder.

Also keep in mind the Bills saw Kelly come back from his injury before investing anything more than a draft pick in him. They easily could of seen him struggle in the USFL and cost their losses. They don't have the same luxury here.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I'm on board. It's Barkley at 8 or bust.

Feeling the wind just 3 days before the draft, I'm not sensing the Bills taking any other position at 8 other than QB.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                          Feeling the wind just 3 days before the draft
                          Sure it's not the broccoli alfredo you had for lunch ?
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

Don't worry the Bills will screw it up.

They will end up taking Nassib at #8.

Nassib was a mid round pick four months ago and know the Bills will make him a top ten pick. I must have missed all those great games he played over these last couple of months.

I would take both Barkley and Wilson over Nassib for the offense they will be running. I think they do have interest in Barkley though and I'm hoping it is more then Nassib.

I'm pretty confident the pick at #8 Thursday will be Nassib or Barkley.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                              Don't worry the Bills will screw it up.

They will end up taking Nassib at #8.

Nassib was a mid round pick four months ago and know the Bills will make him a top ten pick. I must have missed all those great games he played over these last couple of months.

I would take both Barkley and Wilson over Nassib for the offense they will be running. I think they do have interest in Barkley though and I'm hoping it is more then Nassib.

I'm pretty confident the pick at #8 Thursday will be Nassib or Barkley.
                              Slight caveat to your Nassib theory...he never visited OBD on a pre-draft visit. If Buddy holds true to his trend then Nassib will not be our pick.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X