PDA

View Full Version : Who are this years' Aaron Maybins?

stuckincincy
04-23-2013, 06:19 AM
I nominate Barkevious Mingo, LSU.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 06:23 AM

people keep saying this, and i think it reveals a real lack of seeing talent...

mingo has great power, can engage olineman and is long than maybin. aslo mingo has a much bigger frame, where maybin could never get bigger than 235ish.

also, to compare mingo athletically and burst wise to maybin is a joke. a more realistic comparison athletically would be von miller.

mingo has greater power in his hips too

- - - Updated - - -

also maybin was a 1 year wonder, and never started.

mingo started for 2 years in the sec...

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
mingo also has many moves, including a bull rush, maybin just ran around the slow big ten ot...

to compare these two is really ignorant of pass rushing talent...

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Jarvis Jones

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 06:27 AM
in fact, if our qb spot was fine, id take mingo, and i would still be happy if we take mingo and pass on a qb...

hes a quicker and faster pierre paul...

- - - Updated - - -

the guy i dont want is ansah. dude has never done ****

jimmifli
04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
mingo also has many moves, including a bull rush, maybin just ran around the slow big ten ot...

to compare these two is really ignorant of pass rushing talent...
Also look at the names; "Aaron Maybin" sounds like a RV salesman. "Barkevious Mingo" sounds like an escaped convict from a Tarantino movie.

stuckincincy
04-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Also look at the names; "Aaron Maybin" sounds like a RV salesman. "Barkevious Mingo" sounds like an escaped convict from a Tarantino movie.

Mingo.

http://edames.net/mingo.html

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Jarvis Jones

Maybin was just a speed guy and had a great combine posting very good numbers. Maybin produced one good year because of injury to the starter and produced using only a speed rush.

Jones posted weak measurables, started 2 years posting 28 total sacks and gets to the QB with power, instinct and with very good hand usage.

They are exact opposites...

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Ziggy Ansah has a chance to bust similar to Maybin. Although Ansah plays more positions and is a very strong player physically, he has not much experience and shot up boards with a good senior bowl and combine measurables.

Cordarrelle Patterson and Lane Johnson also have bust potential. Although their boom is very high as well.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Ziggy Ansah has a chance to bust similar to Maybin. Although Ansah plays more positions and is a very strong player physically, he has not much experience and shot up boards with a good senior bowl and combine measurables.

Cordarrelle Patterson and Lane Johnson also have bust potential. Although their boom is very high as well.

actually ansah sucked at the senior bowl...

- - - Updated - - -

i literally have no clue why he is rated this high. mike mamula again.

k-oneputt
04-23-2013, 07:27 AM
I agree on Ansah as the Maybin candidate.

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Maybin was just a speed guy and had a great combine posting very good numbers. Maybin produced one good year because of injury to the starter and produced using only a speed rush.

Jones posted weak measurables, started 2 years posting 28 total sacks and gets to the QB with power, instinct and with very good hand usage.

They are exact opposites...

Jones is also just a speed guy who has struggled to keep on weight and lacks power. The only thing opposite about them is the workout numbers.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Jones is also just a speed guy who has struggled to keep on weight and lacks power. The only thing opposite about them is the workout numbers.

jones is not just a speed guy, he has great hip expolsion and power...

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 07:51 AM
jones is not just a speed guy, he has great hip expolsion and power...

No he doesn't.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
No he doesn't.

then youre not watching the games...

- - - Updated - - -

he engages olineman and shocks them back, maybin couldnt stack and shed a kicker... really?

kishoph
04-23-2013, 08:53 AM

A slow speed guy at that, I think it may have to do with a lack of commitment.

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Jones isn't a speed guy IMO. He is more of a finesse rusher who uses his hands to put OT off balance. Very instinctive rusher that can quickly identify what a pass blocker is giving up to him and he takes advantage. Rarely wins by using speed or power.

Rare kind of rusher.

Uncle Jesse
04-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Ziggy Ansah for sure. Hardly played much in college, is very athletic and had a good combine. Teams didn't even key on him, they were worried about the other side of BYUs defense.

He has bust written all over him.

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 09:17 AM
actually ansah sucked at the senior bowl...

- - - Updated - - -

i literally have no clue why he is rated this high. mike mamula again.

From reports Ansah was weak in the week leading up to the game but had a very strong game that scouts took notice of.

He is my candidate just because he had only one year starting at BYU and he was a workout warrior which is what helped him climb the boards similar to Maybin.

THRILLHO
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Any prospect regarded as "high motor" or a "tweener."

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
then youre not watching the games...

- - - Updated - - -

he engages olineman and shocks them back, maybin couldnt stack and shed a kicker... really?

Nope, never watched a single CFB game in my entire life.

- - - Updated - - -

A slow speed guy at that, I think it may have to do with a lack of commitment.

Meh, his timed speed means little to me. Flip on the tape, the guy can get the edge.

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Jones isn't a speed guy IMO. He is more of a finesse rusher who uses his hands to put OT off balance. Very instinctive rusher that can quickly identify what a pass blocker is giving up to him and he takes advantage. Rarely wins by using speed or power.

Rare kind of rusher.

What hands? His sacks v. Bama came against Fluker because he couldn't beat Kounadjio, against Tennessee the young underclassmen shut him down and he also had issue with Chris Faulk in 2011 v LSU. The one quality OT he just abused was Florida's Xavier Nixon for 7 sacks over the last two years and ask any UF fan what they think of Nixon's quality.

mjt328
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm assuming by "Maybin" you mean players that will bust.

I'll agree with several posters and say Mingo. The guy is an absolute non-factor during 95% of passing plays and about 99% of running plays. Once in awhile he blows past his man with a speed move. The rest of the time he gets completely stonewalled. If the lineman gets his hands locked on Mingo, it's over.

Sharrif Floyd is another mystery to me. He's got size and speed, but absolutely zero production. You're basically drafting a guy completely on upside. If I wasn't watching gamefilm and focusing on Floyd, he wouldn't stand out at all.

With all of the receiver talent in this draft, I'm also having a really hard time understanding the fascination with Keenan Allen. I don't see anything remotely special about the guy. He's a possession receiver with virtually no YAC ability. He doesn't seem to be a huge redzone threat either.

Another is Alec Ogletree. He's got character concerns. He doesn't chase the ball. His instincts are terrible. I saw a couple big hits in his highlight reel. But his film is pathetic. I can't believe people are considering him in top 3 rounds, much less the first.

Night Train
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Jones, Mingo & Ansah all scare me. Seems like our need is more inside, which is why Dansby has been called. Minter of LSU looks like a Singletary type.

But I'm very skeptical of the 3 OLB's mentioned above and don't really know if we're considering them. I hope not.

jamze132
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Jarvis Jones

100% wrong. He's going to be one of the stars of the draft.

stuckincincy
04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Jones, Mingo & Ansah all scare me. Seems like our need is more inside, which is why Dansby has been called. Minter of LSU looks like a Singletary type.

But I'm very skeptical of the 3 OLB's mentioned above and don't really know if we're considering them. I hope not.

I like Minter, too. I do have (the) usual concern about a player that excels on a stocked collegiate club - see John McCargo.

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
100% wrong. He's going to be one of the stars of the draft.

We shall see.

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
What hands? His sacks v. Bama came against Fluker because he couldn't beat Kounadjio, against Tennessee the young underclassmen shut him down and he also had issue with Chris Faulk in 2011 v LSU. The one quality OT he just abused was Florida's Xavier Nixon for 7 sacks over the last two years and ask any UF fan what they think of Nixon's quality.

He still had 21 sacks more. And lots of those sacks against big programs. I don't see him as a speed rusher. I see him as a guy that knows how to put OTs off balance. Every pass rusher comes up against a guy who can neutralize his strengths.

Jones is a tough guy to figure with such weak measurables and such high production.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
The love for Ansah completely baffles me. He's not a one-year wonder. He's barely a half year wonder. He didn't even know the rules of football 3 years ago. This is the guy you take on Saturday to see if his raw skills translate to anything, but a Top 10 pick?! Mind blowing.

swiper
04-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Who are this years' Aaron Maybins?

All the QBs.

swiper
04-23-2013, 12:06 PM

This is a post from a person who seems to know what he's talking about.

I thought Ansah had a stand-out Senior Bowl. He should/will go in that 20 to 30th pick range. I don't think higher.

It's amazing to see some of the last minute love/hate that certain players are getting.

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
He still had 21 sacks more. And lots of those sacks against big programs. I don't see him as a speed rusher. I see him as a guy that knows how to put OTs off balance. Every pass rusher comes up against a guy who can neutralize his strengths.

Jones is a tough guy to figure with such weak measurables and such high production.

Name the OT's...here I'll help;
Buffalo-Andre Davis
Missouri-Elvis Fisher
Vanderbilt-Wesley Johnson
So Car-Corey Robinson
Auburn-Greg Robinson
Nebraska-Brent Qvale

Now the only name worth mentioning is Elvis Fisher who was a nice NFL prospect prior to shredding his knee two years ago. He definitely lost a step to his game. Outside of him maybe Wesley Johnson gets drafted in two years but other than that his sacks came against basically meh competition. People don't question it as much because its the SEC and for the most part there are stud tackles on every team but Jones has gone up against rather weak competition since being at UGA.

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Name the OT's...here I'll help;
Buffalo-Andre Davis
Missouri-Elvis Fisher
Vanderbilt-Wesley Johnson
So Car-Corey Robinson
Auburn-Greg Robinson
Nebraska-Brent Qvale

Now the only name worth mentioning is Elvis Fisher who was a nice NFL prospect prior to shredding his knee two years ago. He definitely lost a step to his game. Outside of him maybe Wesley Johnson gets drafted in two years but other than that his sacks came against basically meh competition. People don't question it as much because its the SEC and for the most part there are stud tackles on every team but Jones has gone up against rather weak competition since being at UGA.

You still have to make the plays, and I didn't other players face similar competition and not reach his production?

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
You still have to make the plays, and I didn't other players face similar competition and not reach his production?

Nobody else played in the same scheme as Jones and had the same role that went against the same players. Mingo role changed and he plays DE in a four man front. Jordan didn't face the same comp, either did Moore, or other prospects who are considered top pass rushers.

Mahdi
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Nobody else played in the same scheme as Jones and had the same role that went against the same players. Mingo role changed and he plays DE in a four man front. Jordan didn't face the same comp, either did Moore, or other prospects who are considered top pass rushers.

I get what yer saying but its a bit of a stretch. Jones is not perfect but he can play ball. His athleticism however may hold him back in the NFL.

DraftBoy
04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
I get what yer saying but its a bit of a stretch. Jones is not perfect but he can play ball. His athleticism however may hold him back in the NFL.

We shall see, its just my opinion. Im extraordinarly low on Jones and I acknowledge that.

Mouldsie
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Aaron Maybin ran a 4.88 40, just needed to bring that up again.

swiper
05-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Geno Smith

ublinkwescore
05-17-2013, 06:09 PM
DionJordan.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
All the QBs.

Geno Smith

Well that's convenient.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
The LB from Notre Dame who was drafted by the Chargers, Manti T'eo

swiper
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Well that's convenient.

LOL. Forgot I had posted that. At least I'm consistent.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
LOL. Forgot I had posted that. At least I'm consistent.

How do you feel about Manuel?

Generalissimus Gibby
05-17-2013, 06:56 PM
All the QBs.

You are somewhat correct with saying all the qbs, and especially Geno because I think that everyone is going to be somewhat disappointed with this year's crop, but Geno's fail will be magnified by the NY Media machine.