• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Nassib v. Barkley Using Metrics

Second Round Stats has quickly become one of my favorite sites to visit and read regularly. With every expert seemingly telling us the pick at 8 will be Barkley or Nassib I thought it'd be interesting to look at it metrically since we know the Bills will now be doing the same. Here is what SRS has on each guy interpret at your own peril;

Matt Barkley-

Ryan Nassib-
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • delectrolux
    • May 2007

Re: Nassib v. Barkley Using Metrics

I'm leaning towards Barkley, but to be honest, I'd be okay with either of these guys.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

nice read.

here was Wilsons. I no longer think he's on the bills radar unless the bills didn't grab a qb and Wilson drops to the 3rd.

sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• MidnightVoice
        Retired (mostly)
        • Mar 2003

Very interesting. Thanks

But to play
        that’s the thing
        shut up and deal
        ~ Jesse May

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Second Round Stats has quickly become one of my favorite sites to visit and read regularly. With every expert seemingly telling us the pick at 8 will be Barkley or Nassib I thought it'd be interesting to look at it metrically since we know the Bills will now be doing the same. Here is what SRS has on each guy interpret at your own peril;

Matt Barkley-

Ryan Nassib-
          http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/...outing-report/
          Thanks...bookmarked.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

The 62% on deep passes is pretty eye opening to me, since people are knocking his ability to throw the deep ball. He obviously doesnt have a rocket for an arm but that doesnt mean he cant complete deep balls.

Comment

• PTI
              Banned
              • Jan 2011

Seems to me more analysts are becoming convinced Nassib is the guy the Bills want.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32 View Post
                The 62% on deep passes is pretty eye opening to me, since people are knocking his ability to throw the deep ball. He obviously doesnt have a rocket for an arm but that doesnt mean he cant complete deep balls.
                Nassib's problem is not that he doesn't have a rocket arm, in fact, I think he has quite a strong arm. Its that his deep ball lacks touch and accuracy. Despite what the stats say because I watched a lot of his throws and it just wasn't there.

Barkley on the other hand drops the ball in a bucket from 40+.

That being said, I think Nassib has the gun, Barkley has the touch but can also fire it if he wants to which is why I lean towards Barkley. Once his shoulder is 100% I think his superior talent trumps Nassib's.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                  Nassib's problem is not that he doesn't have a rocket arm, in fact, I think he has quite a strong arm. Its that his deep ball lacks touch and accuracy. Despite what the stats say because I watched a lot of his throws and it just wasn't there.

Barkley on the other hand drops the ball in a bucket from 40+.

That being said, I think Nassib has the gun, Barkley has the touch but can also fire it if he wants to which is why I lean towards Barkley. Once his shoulder is 100% I think his superior talent trumps Nassib's.
                  Your eyes can tell you one thing but a 20% difference in deep ball accuracy should tell you something else.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Your eyes can tell you one thing but a 20% difference in deep ball accuracy should tell you something else.
                    Right but is the sample size significant enough to base opinion on?

What do you think of Nassib's overall arm talent?

My view is that he has great release, great velocity but poor touch and ball location.

When I watch Barkley i see a guy that just has such perfect ball placement on all his throws. You see it especially in his swing passes and redzone fades. Throws that just tell you that he is a pure thrower.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

My view is that he has great release, great velocity but poor touch and ball location.

When I watch Barkley i see a guy that just has such perfect ball placement on all his throws. You see it especially in his swing passes and redzone fades. Throws that just tell you that he is a pure thrower.
                      I will agree to an extent - someone who experiences as many drops as they mentioned (something crazy like 10% I believe) has to have some part in it, it cant be purely based on receivers dropping the ball. Alec Lemon and the Cuse WRs werent terrible as far as catching the ball so maybe it was the lack of touch. I really dont know. I would be fine with either of these 2 in the 2nd round.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Matt Barkley-

Ryan Nassib-
                        http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/...outing-report/
                        Thanks for posting this. It's interesting. I am still hesitant about Nassib (especially at #8). I am liking what I read here about Barkley. That along with something PFT posted about the struggles under Lane Kiffen at USC last season.

I still hesitate to yearn for a California QB after living through Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards though.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

I wish we had more seasons to base it off of but then the question becomes well what about the quality of WR Barkley had v. Nassib and then the OL and the running game and the coaching, system and we get into a never ending situation where we are splicing these guys down to nothing.

I think Nassib has a good arm, I think he can make all the throws, he can put zip on the ball and I think he can fit it into tight windows. Where I worry about Nassib is his ability to read coverage, to understand the situation, and to make the best decision for his team.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

I wish we had more seasons to base it off of but then the question becomes well what about the quality of WR Barkley had v. Nassib and then the OL and the running game and the coaching, system and we get into a never ending situation where we are splicing these guys down to nothing.

I think Nassib has a good arm, I think he can make all the throws, he can put zip on the ball and I think he can fit it into tight windows. Where I worry about Nassib is his ability to read coverage, to understand the situation, and to make the best decision for his team.
                            I actually like Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales a lot. I think they will be productive players in the pros.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I actually like Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales a lot. I think they will be productive players in the pros.
                              Yes but you wouldn't put them into the same class as Lee and Woods though, correct?
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X