PDA

View Full Version : QB should/will be our first pick

CoolBreeze
04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
With the draft steadily approaching, I am becoming more and more convinced that our first pick has to be QB. I know some of you have shrugged off this idea. The whole no QB this year is worth a 1st argument has gotten to the point that it's getting ridiculous. QB must be our first pick, in my opinion there was never another option. Sure this draft will produce players that are much safer bets like Austin/Warmack, and is deep and talented at many positions including WR SS and on both Offensive, and Defensive lines. However, the very likely possibility that we will have the pick of any QB in this draft is an amazing opportunity. I don't care if this class of QB's is one of the lowest rated groups in some time. I refuse to believe that not one QB out of the top 5 QB's in this draft will make it as a regular starter, with the ability to help his team make it to the big game. I will not accept that answer, If we can choose from any QB in any draft, you do it. It surprises me that it even has to amount to a decision, it should be involuntary like breathing. And I also don't care if everyone believes we could get this QB in the 2nd round. You don't know, I don't know, and most importantly the Bills don't know who's going to take who when. We must take this risk at #8. Decisions like not picking the first QB in the draft is what has led us to 15 years of nothing. I pray this Thursday we break the cycle, and make the right choice and select a QB at #8. Then sooner than later end this ridiculous drought. Go Bills!!

MidnightVoice
04-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I will not be surprised if we pick a QB in the first round

I will be very surprised if we pick the right QB in the first round

And I have NO idea which one will succeed and which ones will fail

stuckincincy
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
With the draft steadily approaching, I am becoming more and more convinced that our first pick has to be QB. I know some of you have shrugged off this idea. The whole no QB this year is worth a 1st argument has gotten to the point that it's getting ridiculous. QB must be our first pick, in my opinion there was never another option. Sure this draft will produce players that are much safer bets like Austin/Warmack, and is deep and talented at many positions including WR SS and on both Offensive, and Defensive lines. However, the very likely possibility that we will have the pick of any QB in this draft is an amazing opportunity. I don't care if this class of QB's is one of the lowest rated groups in some time. I refuse to believe that not one QB out of the top 5 QB's in this draft will make it as a regular starter, with the ability to help his team make it to the big game. I will not accept that answer, If we can choose from any QB in any draft, you do it. It surprises me that it even has to amount to a decision, it should be involuntary like breathing. And I also don't care if everyone believes we could get this QB in the 2nd round. You don't know, I don't know, and most importantly the Bills don't know who's going to take who when. We must take this risk at #8. Decisions like not picking the first QB in the draft is what has led us to 15 years of nothing. I pray this Thursday we break the cycle, and make the right choice and select a QB at #8. Then sooner than later end this ridiculous drought. Go Bills!!

You make a good argument. Sound cases can be made for other positions, but on the other hand, BUF has been slogging around the playoff desert for years. So let the dice roll - it's not as if anyone's eyeballs will bug out more than with other recent top picks. :phone:

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
i feel this is like the matt ryan situation, and miami talked themselves out of taking him...

CoolBreeze
04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
i feel this is like the matt ryan situation, and miami talked themselves out of taking him...

Agreed... I feel as though the media/analysts have for the past couple years over dissected each QB. I mean Geno was a Top 5 pick 2 months ago. Now he isn't even considered 1st round material in some cases. Or any other QB's this year for that matter. Yet Leaf and Russell were suppose to be "great", and got unbelievable praise. You just never know. Which is why it's critical that our FO evaluates and evaluates. Then hopefully if we can have the choice of any QB in the draft, we pick the right one.

The Jokeman
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM

and prior to last year how many more playoff games did the Falcons win compared the the Dolphins since that draft? That said Matt Ryan was ranked higher considerably than any QB in this draft.

YardRat
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
No, it shouldn't, but it certainly might be.

Meathead
04-24-2013, 01:12 AM
if there are two or three true franchise qbs in every draft doesnt that mean almost every team would have one

i think one to two per typical draft is more accurate, which means barring a trade down they pretty much have to take their shot at eight if any of their top two or even three is there

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 01:25 AM
and prior to last year how many more playoff games did the Falcons win compared the the Dolphins since that draft? That said Matt Ryan was ranked higher considerably than any QB in this draft.

I guess, but i see no difference between him and barkley...

Mike
04-24-2013, 04:56 PM

That is exaclty how and why teams blow their first round picks... Look at the Raiders when they selected J.Russell. The film on him was good, but not great. From that point of view he as an ok prospect -mid 1st-2nd. What propelled him up draft boards was both the lack of formidable competition and his great measurable -arm strength, size, pro day, etc. This plus the need for QB made him the first overall pick. And by the way, if J. Russell was in this years class, he would be the highest rated QB!

Moreover, that whole QB class was dreadful. From Russell to Brady Quinn, to Kolb, to even Trent Edwards and so one were all dreadful. Not one Pro Bowler in the entire 2007 QB draft class!!! So, yes a draft class can be bad, really bad and oh by the way the 2007 QB draft class was rated higher than this year's draft class!

Lastly, who did the Raiders miss out on in 2007? The opportunity cost was very high and here are just a few names: Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis, Darrel Revis...etc...
Further in 2008, they could have drafted the right QB in Joe Flacco but already had J. Russell!

So... in reality you are being emotional. You see the need for a QB, its obvious, its been neglected and its to a point where you can not handle it anymore. We should have drafted one in the past 2 years, where there were great prospects but we missed the boat and now its too late. Those players already have their teams.

So what to do? The problem is that there is no solution. You can not go out and sign Payton Manning or Brees or draft Russell Wilson. This draft class is worst than 2007 so, you can go out and draft the next Brady Quinn at #8 and miss out on one of the few good players in this draft. Further you will miss out on next years QB class.

In the end you will be doing what the Raiders did Russell and what the Bills did with JP Lossman... over drafting a QB instead of a real play maker and missing out on a even better QB the following year -the Raiders could have had Flacco and the Bills could have had Rogers!!!

Mike
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Parcels has certain formula for picking QBs and Ryan did not pass all the requirements.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
That is exaclty how and why teams blow their first round picks... Look at the Raiders when they selected J.Russell. The film on him was good, but not great. From that point of view he as an ok prospect -mid 1st-2nd. What propelled him up draft boards was both the lack of formidable competition and his great measurable -arm strength, size, pro day, etc. This plus the need for QB made him the first overall pick. And by the way, if J. Russell was in this years class, he would be the highest rated QB!

Moreover, that whole QB class was dreadful. From Russell to Brady Quinn, to Kolb, to even Trent Edwards and so one were all dreadful. Not one Pro Bowler in the entire 2007 QB draft class!!! So, yes a draft class can be bad, really bad and oh by the way the 2007 QB draft class was rated higher than this year's draft class!

Lastly, who did the Raiders miss out on in 2007? The opportunity cost was very high and here are just a few names: Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, Patrick Willis, Darrel Revis...etc...
Further in 2008, they could have drafted the right QB in Joe Flacco but already had J. Russell!

So... in reality you are being emotional. You see the need for a QB, its obvious, its been neglected and its to a point where you can not handle it anymore. We should have drafted one in the past 2 years, where there were great prospects but we missed the boat and now its too late. Those players already have their teams.

So what to do? The problem is that there is no solution. You can not go out and sign Payton Manning or Brees or draft Russell Wilson. This draft class is worst than 2007 so, you can go out and draft the next Brady Quinn at #8 and miss out on one of the few good players in this draft. Further you will miss out on next years QB class.

In the end you will be doing what the Raiders did Russell and what the Bills did with JP Lossman... over drafting a QB instead of a real play maker and missing out on a even better QB the following year -the Raiders could have had Flacco and the Bills could have had Rogers!!!

What about the Jimmy Clausen solution? Draft a placeholder for now, hope he develops, then try again next year like the Panthers did with Newton. It's not like this team has a glut of QB prospects in the pipeline.

jwenger
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Agreed... I feel as though the media/analysts have for the past couple years over dissected each QB. I mean Geno was a Top 5 pick 2 months ago. Now he isn't even considered 1st round material in some cases. Or any other QB's this year for that matter. Yet Leaf and Russell were suppose to be "great", and got unbelievable praise. You just never know. Which is why it's critical that our FO evaluates and evaluates. Then hopefully if we can have the choice of any QB in the draft, we pick the right one.

Nothing has changed as far as his ability goes. They ran a smear campaign on the guy and he is pissed.
He has a lot to prove and he will. If we have the shot to get this guy I say we take him. He is the real deal.

CoolBreeze
04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Nothing has changed as far as his ability goes. They ran a smear campaign on the guy and he is pissed.
He has a lot to prove and he will. If we have the shot to get this guy I say we take him. He is the real deal.

I know a lot aren't too high on him, but I think he has the tools to succeed in this league. No question about it, I agree he got judged extremely unfair this off season.