PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb disses Buffalo

swiper
04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Was listening to Donovan McNabb live on the Boomer & Carton show this morning. When they asked him about his leaving Philadelphia he says something to the effect of, "yeah they (the Eagles) were working deals to send me to Buffalo or Oakland. And I said no way is that going to happen. So I helped them work a deal to the Redskins."

You can hear his exact wording here:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/23/donovan-mcnabb-with-boomer-carton-nfl-bounty-scandal-blown-out-of-proportion/

One Syracuse QB.

SquishDaFish
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Who cares

swiper
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Right around the 10:00 mark.

Oaf
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
That worked out much better for him.

Jaybird
04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
how well did he do with the redskins!

BillsFever21
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
The wave of new Donovan McNabb haters will be appearing soon since he said he didn't want to come to Buffalo.

I'm glad he didn't want to come to Buffalo. He was good in his younger days but he was a washed up useless QB towards the end of his time in Philadelphia and while he was in Washington. It's another scary thought to even think these guys wanted him in the first place. Of course it was the Bills, Raiders and Redskins who had interest in him. Probably the three worse ran organizations in football over the past decade.

pmoon6
04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
We're glad that didn't happen either, Donovan.

You sucked almost as bad in Washington as you suck on the NFL Network.

DesertFox24
04-23-2013, 05:56 PM
People realize until the bills start winning and get stability in front office and coaching staff this is most people first reaction. That is unless we overpay.

If the planets align and we actually become stable and win like Green Bay people will want to come

Skooby
04-23-2013, 06:04 PM
My heart's broken.

coastal
04-23-2013, 06:05 PM
His karma will be when the Sabres draft his nephew this year.

TigerJ
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Ancient history

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Was listening to Donovan McNabb live on the Boomer & Carton show this morning. When they asked him about his leaving Philadelphia he says something to the effect of, "yeah they (the Eagles) were working deals to send me to Buffalo or Oakland. And I said no way is that going to happen. So I helped them work a deal to the Redskins."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/23/donovan-mcnabb-with-boomer-carton-nfl-bounty-scandal-blown-out-of-proportion/

One Syracuse QB.

Screw him. I am glad he feels that way about the Bills and Raiders b/c he had nothing in the tank and wouldn't have had as much as Bledsoe had he come here. We don't need jerks that don't want to be Bills!

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Who cares? I wouldn't have wanted to play for the Bills in 2010 either, we SUCKED in 2010.

Takes nothing away from the special player he was at Cuse' or the great great QB he was for almost a decade.

The Jokeman
04-23-2013, 08:06 PM

One Syracuse QB.
I'm not going to listen but did he rip Buffalo or the Bills franchise?

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
He just said he wanted to go to a team where he could compete instead of to the Bills or Raiders where he would be on a team in utter shambles.

I don't blame him one bit, he wanted to go to a team where he could win instead of one of the two worst franchises in the league over the past decade.

swiper
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm not going to listen but did he rip Buffalo or the Bills franchise?

He pretty much said it as I paraphrased it. More the organization. Not really the town per se.

The Jokeman
04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
He just said he wanted to go to a team where he could compete instead of to the Bills or Raiders where he would be on a team in utter shambles.

and the way things look now it looks like he wasn't wrong. Sure he didn't excel in Washington but you know what? I'd rather be a Redskins fan now than a Bills fan.

fluteflakes
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
and the way things look now it looks like he wasn't wrong. Sure he didn't excel in Washington but you know what? I'd rather be a Redskins fan now than a Bills fan.

Especially as considering he'd have come here in 2010, where we were BEYOND putrid.

THRILLHO
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure we could have done worse if he had him.

OpIv37
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
I saw McNabb play in Buffalo live his rookie season. It may have even been his first start. The Bills won 26-0. I'd probably hate the place too if that's how my career started.

OpIv37
04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
And btw, this is another case of misdirected anger. Its different if its something like McGahee or Brady ****ting on the city itself for no reason, but we shouldn't be angry at players who don't want to play here. We should be angry at ownership and management for creating a situation where players don't want to play here.

JoeMama
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
We're glad that didn't happen either, Donovan.

You sucked almost as bad in Washington as you suck on the NFL Network.

Haven't seen him on NFL Network yet. Never thought he handled himself particularly well during interviews so I can't imagine his skill set translates to TV.

And man, when some guys burn out, they burn out quick. McNabb was washed up by 33, which isn't really that old for a QB. But he was definitely an OLD 33.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2013, 10:44 PM
why would you blame him, the 2010 bills had expansion talent, literally no pass rush, an aging speed wr and the worst oline in the nfl... ugh

BADTHINGSMAN
04-24-2013, 12:58 AM
And btw, this is another case of misdirected anger. Its different if its something like McGahee or Brady ****ting on the city itself for no reason, but we shouldn't be angry at players who don't want to play here. We should be angry at ownership and management for creating a situation where players don't want to play here.

Thats exactly it. Piss poor management. Hell I don't blame Kelsay one bit for the contract he got. He would be stupid not to sign a huge deal for little performance. Its 100% management.

Historian
04-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Has-been.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2013, 05:20 AM
His karma will be when the Sabres draft his nephew this year.

I thought the Sabres already got Braden?

malvado78
04-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Has-been.
Are you referring to the Bills as an organization or Mcnabb?

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Haven't seen him on NFL Network yet. Never thought he handled himself particularly well during interviews so I can't imagine his skill set translates to TV.

And man, when some guys burn out, they burn out quick. McNabb was washed up by 33, which isn't really that old for a QB. But he was definitely an OLD 33.He's on the weekly AFC and then NFC breakdown/prediction shows during the season with Sterling Sharpe and Brian Baldinger. Sometimes they bring in Brian Blillick or Matt Millian for a segment.

The NFL Network seems to hire names. Half their pregame crew are idiots, but they are in the HOF. The "host" is a arrogant ass and Mariucci is there as comic relief or to put it less delicately, a clown. The only decent commentator is Marshall Faulk, but it's hard to hear him over the din when Irvin or Sanders go off.

WagonCircler
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM

And man, when some guys burn out, they burn out quick. McNabb was washed up by 33, which isn't really that old for a QB. But he was definitely an OLD 33.

We're talking about an industry in which Shannon Sharpe has one of the higher profile jobs. Apparently you don't need much of a skill set.

JoeMama
04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
He's on the weekly AFC and then NFC breakdown/prediction shows during the season with Sterling Sharpe and Brian Baldinger. Sometimes they bring in Brian Blillick or Matt Millian for a segment.

The NFL Network seems to hire names. Half their pregame crew are idiots, but they are in the HOF. The "host" is a arrogant ass and Mariucci is there as comic relief or to put it less delicately, a clown. The only decent commentator is Marshall Faulk, but it's hard to hear him over the din when Irvin or Sanders go off.

We're talking about an industry in which Shannon Sharpe has one of the higher profile jobs. Apparently you don't need much of a skill set.

I'll take your guys' word for it.

I don't watch a lot of NFLN but I have seen Shannon Sharpe and Michael Irvin do TV work before. Both unbearable. Irvin especially because he's real "touchy" on set. Always puts his hands on other commentators when he's responding to them directly. Awkward and uncomfortable to watch.

But one area where NFLN gets it right is the draft. I haven't watched ESPN's draft coverage in years. For me it's NFLN or bust in late April.

JoeMama
04-24-2013, 08:34 AM
BTW Rich Eisen is awesome. Far and away the best talent on NFLN.

jamze132
04-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Why are most of you sour on Donovan McNabb saying this? Why would ANYONE want to play for a perennial losing franchise that refuses to do what's necessary to win NFL games?

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
I'll take your guys' word for it.

I don't watch a lot of NFLN but I have seen Shannon Sharpe and Michael Irvin do TV work before. Both unbearable. Irvin especially because he's real "touchy" on set. Always puts his hands on other commentators when he's responding to them directly. Awkward and uncomfortable to watch.

But one area where NFLN gets it right is the draft. I haven't watched ESPN's draft coverage in years. For me it's NFLN or bust in late April.NFL Network Draft shows benefit from having Mike Mayock, Charlie Casserly and Charles Davis as analysts. All very knowledgeable on the college game. They still have to parade out the clown posse on day 1.

ESPN basically has Kiper, Jaworski and Mortenson. The only one I like is the Lackawanna Rifle because I like the way he breaks down film and for sentimental reasons. He grew up in the same time and the same area as me.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Rich Eisen is awesome. Far and away the best talent on NFLN.He's a putz and an *******.

JoeMama
04-24-2013, 08:53 AM
He's a putz and an *******.

That's the first time I've heard this.

Why? What's his deal?

sukie
04-24-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't think McNabb was that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media is still very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there was a lot of hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his teams that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried his teams.

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Why? What's his deal?He comes off as a smarmy know-it-all. I know it's entertainment, but I never thought it was just schtick. Ask Wagon, he's actually met him and confirmed my suspicion. I never liked egocentric people and I prefer jocular guys like Chris Berman running the show. Just my take and I do watch some of his shows even though some of his comments grate on me.

bf1
04-24-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't blame him.

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't think McNabb was that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media is still very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there was a lot of hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his teams that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried his teams.Rot Roh. Channaling Rush Limbaugh?

You do have a point though. When Warren Moon was elected to the HOF, it got almost sickening with reporters constantly bringing up "First Black Quarterback" Moon was a great quarterback, just because he's black had nothing to do with it. When Roger Wehrli was elected in 2007, did they surround him and ask what it's like to be the first white cornerback in the Hall?

Until society and the media stop putting a racial description and slant on people, no racial progress will happen.

QB Bills
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Donovan comes across like a punk but I can't blame him or anybody else for thinking of Oakland & Buffalo as horrible places to play. I love the Bills, & I have always loved the tradition of the Raiders franchise - but the modern day reputation of those two teams is pretty bad. It's like a desert wasteland.

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Buffalo is at the bottom of the list for FA, though McNabb had to be traded. I've always maintained that the Bills' are at a disadvantage in that area. Why play in a cold, glamourless city, when you can play in Dallas, Miami, New York or San Diego? Another factor is the owner. His reputation of being tight fisted, even though undeserved sometimes, with players and coaches is legend. They have to overpay to get a player here and even though they made Mario Williams the highest defensive player ever, it took three days of convincing. That's also why you see our drafted players walk after the initial contract.

Of course, Bills' Fans blame the organization, but the player has all the power. I would much rather play in Nashville or Atlanta, given the same contract than play in WNY....except it is my hometown.

OpIv37
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't think McNabb was that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media is still very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there was a lot of hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his teams that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried his teams.
Wtf are you talking about?

In 2003, the Eagles won their division at 12-4. They were 11th in offense. In 2004, the Eagles were div winners at 13-3 and were 8th in O. Meanwhile, the Bills outranked the Eagles by being 2nd in D both years, but only managed 11 wins COMBINED in those two seasons. Clearly, the O had their part in the wins.

Oh, and there were quality black QB's before McNabb. Doug Williams won a SB, Moon, Cunningham, McNair.....

WagonCircler
04-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Why? What's his deal?

I can tell you from personal experience, he's a first class *******.

My company sponsored a hole at the Jimmy V Golf Tournament for many years. Pretty much every ESPN personality came through at one time or another, most played and took part in the surrounding events every year and were gracious, outgoing and great to work with. They went out of their way to interact with the crowd and the donors/sponsors.

Rich Eisen was a whiny, surly *****y douchebag who never stoped complaining about having to be there TO RAISE MONEY TO CURE CANCER.

It was really painful to watch what an ass he made of himself. The people with him were mortified.

He's a complete phony.

superbills
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
I thought the Sabres already got Braden?
If Braden is McNabb's nephew (I didn't know that he was) then, yes. He's currently playing in Rochester and actually has suited up for the Sabres before.

sukie
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

In 2003, the Eagles won their division at 12-4. They were 11th in offense. In 2004, the Eagles were div winners at 13-3 and were 8th in O. Meanwhile, the Bills outranked the Eagles by being 2nd in D both years, but only managed 11 wins COMBINED in those two seasons. Clearly, the O had their part in the wins.

Oh, and there were quality black QB's before McNabb. Doug Williams won a SB, Moon, Cunningham, McNair.....

Dude... I was jokingly posting a slightly edited quote from Rush Limbaugh when he was on ESPN. The remark that got him ****canned. You damn young kids!

OpIv37
04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Dude... I was jokingly posting a slightly edited quote from Rush Limbaugh when he was on ESPN. The remark that got him ****canned. You damn young kids!

Ha, my bad.

I remember the Limbaugh comment but for some reason I still thought you were being serious.

WagonCircler
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
If Braden is McNabb's nephew (I didn't know that he was) then, yes. He's currently playing in Rochester and actually has suited up for the Sabres before.

His name is Darnell Nurse (which, clearly means he must be tough--growing up with a name like that)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/donovan-mcnabbs-nephew-rockets-up-2013-draft-board-the-nhl-draft-board-that-is/

DynaPaul
04-24-2013, 07:35 PM
He sucks and always has. Who cares?

swiper
04-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Why does everyone always seem to forget James Harris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_(quarterback))?

I kid.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Why are most of you sour on Donovan McNabb saying this? Why would ANYONE want to play for a perennial losing franchise that refuses to do what's necessary to win NFL games? Because in order to turn the team away from being a perennial losing franchise, they have to hire players that aren't perennial losers, and for the NFLPA to allow its members to act like they are above playing for certain teams speaks to the corruption and the lipservice they speak to true parity.

If the NFL's players are willing to give preferential treatment to some teams but not for others, there is no point in keeping those others in the league. Those teams cannot be competitive if the best players are unwilling to sign on.

pmoon6
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Why does everyone always seem to forget James Harris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harris_(quarterback))?

I kid.And Marlin Briscoe.:D

I laugh when people mention Doug Williams. He was terrible his whole career, he played a few good games with the Redskins and one was in the SB aided by 200 rushing yards by Timmy Smith (another terrible player who had a few good games) and a pretty good defense.

fluteflakes
04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
And Marlin Briscoe.:D

I laugh when people mention Doug Williams. He was terrible his whole career, he played a few good games with the Redskins and one was in the SB aided by 200 rushing yards by Timmy Smith (another terrible player who had a few good games) and a pretty good defense.

Not wholly true. He was pretty good with the Bucs, but Culverhouse andhis utter unwillingness to spend a dime on his own team signaled his downfall. Got hurt in the USFL then had a good run replacing Schroeder but, oddly enough, never won any of the games he started till the playoffs.

Timmy Smith got lucky and had the greatest offensive line ever assembled blowing open holes the size of MAC trucks for him to run through.

pmoon6
04-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Not wholly true. He was pretty good with the Bucs, but Culverhouse andhis utter unwillingness to spend a dime on his own team signaled his downfall. Got hurt in the USFL then had a good run replacing Schroeder but, oddly enough, never won any of the games he started till the playoffs.

Timmy Smith got lucky and had the greatest offensive line ever assembled blowing open holes the size of MAC trucks for him to run through.Yeah, Fitzpatrick might have been great if you surrounded him with talent too.

Williams barely completed 50% of his passes, most of the time it was under 50% during of his career.

But, you could be right. Maybe his receivers dropped all those perfectly thrown balls.