PDA

View Full Version : My Draft Wishlist

The King
04-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Anyone who's read my posts over the last two months should know how I feel about the 8th pick but this is a broader scope of what I hope the Bills do this week.

1. If you have the chance to take an impact player you do it. If that impact player fills a hole on your team you have to do it.
Both Jarvis Jones (OLB/Georgia) and Chance Warmack (G/Alabama) have the build and skill set to be Pro Bowl players in this league for a long time to come. They can also contribute from day 1. If the Bills don't feel the same way about any QB you simply can't pass on these guys to reach.

2. This is wear you take the best QB available. And that's probably going to be EJ Manuel (QB/FSU) I honestly don't believe the gap between Nassib/Smith and Manuel is that big. Manuel has the tools, he's got the work ethic and I believe he can lead a team as well as any QB in this draft.

3. In a WR deep draft you have the opportunity to add solid contributor in the 3rd round. Either Da'Rick Rogers (WR/Tenn) or Aaron Dobson (WR/Marshall) could be available at this spot, both come at 6'3", have solid speed (around 4.45) and could fill Donald Jones spot nicely.

4. Another deep position in the draft is safety it's also a spot the Bills may need to sure up, especially with a Byrd contract pending and Aaron Williams making a position swap. This is where I think Marrone could pull the SU connection and go for Shamarko Thomas (SS/Syracuse). If he's unavailable look for Robert Lester (SS/Alabama) in round 5.

I also really like Chris Gragg (TE/Arkansas) late in this draft, he's injury prone but he brings a unique quickness, and plays a lot like a 4th WR.

In 4-5 rounds we can sure up 4 positions of need and make this team better. I selected conservatively so the chances of landing these players is really up to the Bills.

jamze132
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM
I love me some Jarvis Jones but wouldn't be upset with taking our pick of the WRs at #8. I totally agree we can go after a QB in RD2 and get great value.

The King
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I just dont want to see Austin at 8. I dont think he offers a ton more than SPiller.

Buddo
04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I just dont want to see Austin at 8. I dont think he offers a ton more than SPiller.

I agree, and his size is a concern. Everyone who actually gets to the NFL is bigger and faster than his regular opposition, and much like Roscoe, I feel he's destined to see IR quite a lot. Sometimes, the heart might be willing, but the body lets you down. ;)

clumping platelets
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Warmack :up:

ParanoidAndroid
04-24-2013, 11:25 AM
In reference to Tavon Austin, I doubt that DeSean Jackson plays another complete season for the remainder of his career.

T-Long
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
I am nervous about waiting till 41 to get a QB. But I also know what a risk it is to gamble with one at 8. We don't have the ammo to trade back into the first with only 6 total picks and knowing how Buddy treats those picks. We could always dip into 2014, but I don't want to do that either. What QB do we really expect to be there at 41? I think Smith, Manuel, Barkley, and Nassib are all gone by 41.

Historian
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Nassib
Nassib
Nassib

That is all.

The King
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
In reference to Tavon Austin, I doubt that DeSean Jackson plays another complete season for the remainder of his career.
The other challenge is the first thing to give on a player is that speed burst... so these guys tend to have shorter careers as is. Whereas guys who are better rounded tend to be able to play even when the speed goes.

The King
04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
I am nervous about waiting till 41 to get a QB. But I also know what a risk it is to gamble with one at 8. We don't have the ammo to trade back into the first with only 6 total picks and knowing how Buddy treats those picks. We could always dip into 2014, but I don't want to do that either. What QB do we really expect to be there at 41? I think Smith, Manuel, Barkley, and Nassib are all gone by 41.

I really don't think they'll be gone.

Mski
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Bray... i think he's #2 on their QB list behind barkley

The Jokeman
04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Anyone who's read my posts over the last two months should know how I feel about the 8th pick but this is a broader scope of what I hope the Bills do this week.

1. If you have the chance to take an impact player you do it. If that impact player fills a hole on your team you have to do it.
Both Jarvis Jones (OLB/Georgia) and Chance Warmack (G/Alabama) have the build and skill set to be Pro Bowl players in this league for a long time to come. They can also contribute from day 1. If the Bills don't feel the same way about any QB you simply can't pass on these guys to reach.

2. This is wear you take the best QB available. And that's probably going to be EJ Manuel (QB/FSU) I honestly don't believe the gap between Nassib/Smith and Manuel is that big. Manuel has the tools, he's got the work ethic and I believe he can lead a team as well as any QB in this draft.

3. In a WR deep draft you have the opportunity to add solid contributor in the 3rd round. Either Da'Rick Rogers (WR/Tenn) or Aaron Dobson (WR/Marshall) could be available at this spot, both come at 6'3", have solid speed (around 4.45) and could fill Donald Jones spot nicely.

4. Another deep position in the draft is safety it's also a spot the Bills may need to sure up, especially with a Byrd contract pending and Aaron Williams making a position swap. This is where I think Marrone could pull the SU connection and go for Shamarko Thomas (SS/Syracuse). If he's unavailable look for Robert Lester (SS/Alabama) in round 5.

I also really like Chris Gragg (TE/Arkansas) late in this draft, he's injury prone but he brings a unique quickness, and plays a lot like a 4th WR.

In 4-5 rounds we can sure up 4 positions of need and make this team better. I selected conservatively so the chances of landing these players is really up to the Bills.

I don't like Warmack at pick 8 and Jones is a bit of a reach but all in all I liked your thoughts except for 4th point. As not sure S is a great need and think we could still get a decent guy like Eric Smith in free agency. As to me I can't see drafting a S instead I sign one as an undrafted free agent to put in the mix and if we do lose Byrd (which I highly doubt) then look to replace him next year.

The King
04-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Well today will dictate the rest of our draft... please don't be a QB.

jamze132
04-25-2013, 07:28 AM

I think at least 2 of those guys will still be available. And I group all of those guys into the same basket. Just reach your hand in and pick one.

jamze132
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't like Warmack at pick 8 and Jones is a bit of a reach but all in all I liked your thoughts except for 4th point. As not sure S is a great need and think we could still get a decent guy like Eric Smith in free agency. As to me I can't see drafting a S instead I sign one as an undrafted free agent to put in the mix and if we do lose Byrd (which I highly doubt) then look to replace him next year.

What makes Jarvis Jones a reach? The guy is a stud and was graded as a top 10 pick almost all season.

When the season ends is when I hate most of the "draft experts" since they move people up and down for no apparent reason. Jarvis Jones would be a great pick for us at #8.

Mski
04-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Well today will dictate the rest of our draft... please don't be a QB.
im okay with that, as long as its Barkley

Jan Reimers
04-25-2013, 09:01 AM
If the Bills take Warmack or Cooper with the eighth overall pick, I will be appalled. We will have to listen to reasoning that might go something like:

-We are just one Offensive Guard away from the Super Bowl.

-We needed play makers, and a good, athletic OG really fits that role.

-We went BOGA - the Best Offensive Guard Available.

-We also needed help at Long Snapper, Punter, Place Kicker and Special Teams Ace, but it was a bad draft for those positions.

-We've adopted the RIP (Running in Place) philosophy of rebuilding. You rid yourself of your starting guard and his back-up, and then use your highest pick to replace him.

-The needs at QB, WR and LB are nowhere close to having an interior lineman who you can rent for a few years before letting him go.

The King
04-25-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't completely disagree Jan, but you can't deny he's a dominant player. Of course if you draft him and dont keep him it's a waste.

The King
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
We got 3 guys on my wishlist... and while we didnt get Jones, we saw a significant upgrade at WR getting Woods in 2, then getting Alfonso fills that need, getting Gragg in the 7th and Rogers undrafted is pretty crazy. I am absolutely thrilled with this draft.

RedEyE
04-29-2013, 09:10 AM
I bet we came extremely close to getting Jones. If Manuel was off the board at 16 (for some odd reason) Jarvis might have been the pick.

The King
04-29-2013, 09:16 AM
I bet we came extremely close to getting Jones. If Manuel was off the board at 16 (for some odd reason) Jarvis might have been the pick.

Picking up the extra pick made it sting a little less when we passed on Jones at 16. Kiko certainly isnt as ready, but he's definitely intriguing and should be able to contribute from day 1.

User Manuel
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Hell of a job King!

The King
04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Hell of a job King!

Thanks, I was off on some rounds but 3 aint bad.