PDA

View Full Version : I think its very possible that....

gonzo1105
04-24-2013, 09:38 AM
I think its very possible that the Bills really have their eyes set on Matt Barkley over Ryan Nassib. There are tons of rumors swirling that the Bills are a lock to pick Nassib at 8 and are really really scared of the Jets taking him after the Bills if they pass or trade down. I mean Nassib has been connected this whole time to Buffalo after Marrone was hired. Every article is now saying its lock to happen. Could it happen? Sure, not doubting that. If the Bills really wanted others to think they want Nassib they are doing a good job of it as media is in a frenzy and front office people think it too.

So this brings me to the next point. If everyone believes they want Nassib, and they really dont, wouldn't it be entirely possibly that they are trying to severely throw everyone off by brushing Barkley to the side. No one will try to trade up in front of Buffalo for Barkley, but someone might try to for Nassib because of all the connections.

I know that the Bills in the past have not been a smokescreen type of team but I think this is a different situation. This is their franchise guy at QB were talking about. Maybe they feel that even after a trade down Barkley will still be there because the Jets like Nassib and want the Jets to use their pick on him because of their real lack of interest in him.

Just throwing it out there. I could easily see Nassib being the pick but I sort of wanted to play devil's advocate.

Novacane
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I think you are right. The majority of the Nassib talk is just speculation by lazy "draft experts" IMO. It's an easy story since Marrone was his college coach.

ParanoidAndroid
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
I do not like the minimal upside to Barkley's game. His physical limitations scare me.... he is no Doug Flutie, who was able to overcome them. That dude was an artist.

OpIv37
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I do not like the minimal upside to Barkley's game. His physical limitations scare me.... he is no Doug Flutie, who was able to overcome them. That dude was an artist.

Agreed on Barkley, but personal opinions aside, I can't buy the smokescreen theory until I actually see Nix pull it off. Our draft strategies have been rather obvious since Nix has taken over. Smokescreens and subtlety are not his MO.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM
If the bills take Nassib at 8 the world will end

DynaPaul
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
We won't be taking a QB at 8, get over it everyone.

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Nassib at 8 would set this team back worse than Losman did. It will be the only pick in which I will get black out drunk and drive my truck into a telephone pole.

Fixxxer
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM

That is the same sensation I get watching Barkley, typical case of what you see is what you will get. I can see him being a functional QB that won't elevate the level of the team around him.

psubills62
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
There's a little too much smoke about Nassib at 8 for him to be the pick, IMO.

To me, this is a major test for Marrone and co. One thing I disliked about Gailey was that he gave preference to his buddies and not guys who were actually best at the job (whether coach or player - Choice and Wannstedt come to mind). Marrone already hired a few Syracuse guys as coaches already, but if he starts making this an Orange Pro team by drafting them, that will not bode well at all.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-25-2013, 07:00 AM
There were saying that should the Bills passed on Nassib, especially if the Bills picks another QB instead, he will drop like rock - even his college coach does not believe in him...

In my view, he's not Tennerhill who can contribute immediately.

I'll feel much better if the Bills makes the first pick on QB though. I believe in Nix's scouting ability. I don't believe in Nix's GM skill, like move around and still get the players he wanted.

sukie
04-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Perhaps it's a smoke screen... Bills select a non QB at 8 expecting to take Nassib at 41 or trading back in to the 1st... Jets snatch him up. Boom! Marrone now knows how to beat the Jets twice a year. Bills take a QB at 41. The one of two they really wanted. This gives them 2 lock wins a year. Gotta win the division games.

better days
04-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Agreed on Barkley, but personal opinions aside, I can't buy the smokescreen theory until I actually see Nix pull it off. Our draft strategies have been rather obvious since Nix has taken over. Smokescreens and subtlety are not his MO.

So EVERYONE KNEW the Bills were going to draft Spiller & Gilmore? I don't think so. The Bills could like Tyler Bray for all we know. I just pray Barkley is NOT the QB Nix wants.

jamze132
04-25-2013, 07:25 AM
It would be stupid and totally irresponsible to draft a QB at #8. Before your rooks flame me, I understand we need a QB. But there has to be a QB before you can draft a QB. This QB class is mediocre at best with a lot of future upside. You don't draft an upside project in the top 10, that's just stupid. There will be plenty of QBs with the same skillset and "upside" in RD2.

better days
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
It would be stupid and totally irresponsible to draft a QB at #8. Before your rooks flame me, I understand we need a QB. But there has to be a QB before you can draft a QB. This QB class is mediocre at best with a lot of future upside. You don't draft an upside project in the top 10, that's just stupid. There will be plenty of QBs with the same skillset and "upside" in RD2.

There are only two or three QBs that Nix thinks have the ability to be FRANCHISE QBS. I doubt any of those three will be there at pick #41.

DBrown77
04-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I hope we dont take QB in round 1. The Kolb signing makes it so we can wait until round 2. We need a difinitive impact player at #8 not a "maybe"

Mski
04-25-2013, 08:05 AM
So EVERYONE KNEW the Bills were going to draft Spiller & Gilmore? I don't think so. The Bills could like Tyler Bray for all we know. I just pray Barkley is NOT the QB Nix wants.
fwiw i was convinced days before the draft spiller was our pick
i really think Barkley and Bray are 1 and 2 on their list

as far as a "smokescreen" around Nassib, He's the coaches guy, and im sure he wants him to succeed, so if not denying that he's our top target can improve his draft position, i think the team does it

better days
04-25-2013, 08:18 AM
fwiw i was convinced days before the draft spiller was our pick
i really think Barkley and Bray are 1 and 2 on their list

as far as a "smokescreen" around Nassib, He's the coaches guy, and im sure he wants him to succeed, so if not denying that he's our top target can improve his draft position, i think the team does it

Just a few short hours until we find out FUN day today.

gonzo1105
04-25-2013, 08:21 AM

I wont sit here and try to act like I knew it all but this draft its def different than those ones. I didn't know that Spiller was going to be the pick until the Bills were on the clock and he was on the board. I thought there were other options in the Spiller draft but those options went before the Bills got on the clock. I knew Spiller was going to be the pick due to what they had said throughout the process and Spiller was def BPA.

In the Gilmore situation, he wasn't the Bills first choice. Mark Barron was. I knew if Mark Barron was on the board, the Bills were going to take him. He went 7th and then I knew the pick was between Kuechly and Gilmore. When Kuechly went 9th, it was pretty set in stone the Bills were taking Gilmore.

In this draft, I have no unearthly clue who the Bills are going to take. Are they going to take Nassib, Barkley, Austin, someone like Mingo, Dion Jordan if he drops, hell Tyler Eifert could be the pick. I have no clue outside of some serious speculation who they are going to take.

better days
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
I wont sit here and try to act like I knew it all but this draft its def different than those ones. I didn't know that Spiller was going to be the pick until the Bills were on the clock and he was on the board. I thought there were other options in the Spiller draft but those options went before the Bills got on the clock. I knew Spiller was going to be the pick due to what they had said throughout the process and Spiller was def BPA.

In the Gilmore situation, he wasn't the Bills first choice. Mark Barron was. I knew if Mark Barron was on the board, the Bills were going to take him. He went 7th and then I knew the pick was between Kuechly and Gilmore. When Kuechly went 9th, it was pretty set in stone the Bills were taking Gilmore.

In this draft, I have no unearthly clue who the Bills are going to take. Are they going to take Nassib, Barkley, Austin, someone like Mingo, Dion Jordan if he drops, hell Tyler Eifert could be the pick. I have no clue outside of some serious speculation who they are going to take.

My point exactly. People may have an idea what the Bills will do, but they are not as transparent as Op said.

Night Train
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I think they have their eyes on Barkley and Nassib also..

..in Round 2..