PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson still gets final say...per Chris Brown

mjt328
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/24/remembering-draft-room-hierarchy/

Though Mr. Wilson ultimately has the final call, Buffalo’s founder and owner has left GM Buddy Nix in charge of the team’s personnel decisions, which includes those in the Bills draft room. And it’s pretty clear how the draft room hierarchy works. While opinions are sought and consensus is the goal Nix is the triggerman.
When asked how much the preferences or wants of coaches factor in to player selection decisions during the draft, Nix was pretty straightforward in explaining how things work.
“They may know exactly how to do it, but what they do is how we do it,” said Nix of the coaches. ”We don’t ask them about procedure with the draft. We know how we want to do that and we know it works. With Mike (Pettine) and the (defensive) staff that was with the Jets, those guys have been in the draft room so they kind of know what to expect. Our way is a bit different in that everybody gets to voice their opinion. It’s not who gets to talk the loudest and the longest. It’s give your opinion, you’ve done your job. We’ll decide where he goes.”
Knowing Nix and his scouting staff determine the grading of prospects on the board is important. It likely means that no matter how much the Bills offensive staff may like Ryan Nassib as a quarterback prospect it’s the grade given to him by the scouting department that will ultimately determine when and where he’ll be a consideration in the draft.

And there you go.

If we go Ryan Nassib, you can be confident that it had something to do with "regionalization" for the Syracuse area.

Mouldsie
04-24-2013, 03:54 PM
That's what you got from that?

cookie G
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
It'll be Lamonica then.

trapezeus
04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
and there you have it....nothing has changed. they bring in a promising young coach and tie him down to the old way of doing business.

Way to keep breaking the record of unworldly ***** drafting, Buddy.

These guys are like degenerate gamblers...they want one more shot to prove to everyone why he's going to put it all on green double zero and when it comes up on the 20 millionth try, he was the smartest guy all along.

Skooby
04-24-2013, 03:58 PM

And there you go.

If we go Ryan Nassib, you can be confident that it had something to do with "regionalization" for the Syracuse area.

We might go playmaker first, then QB late in the round.

X-Era
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd expect Chris Brown to fix this mistake.

Russ was emphatic that he has the final and total say on what the team does. That they team was handed over to him.

"in totality"... Russ went on to say "do I have final authority and say? yes"

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Russ-Brandon-and-Buddy-Nix-Press-Conference/3a36fe49-d31d-4276-9592-9ea5110d19e8

This is a non-issue. Russ runs this team. I'd be surprised if Ralph even goes to Buffalo during the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
i think they were just saying ralph in the context of being owner. the guy is laying in bed in detroit eating apple sauce. he doesnt even know who barkley or tavon austin are, let alone football players.

russ makes the final call with nix making the obvious decision.

move on people

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing im sure of is russ said tell me who the best qb is and take him.

nix says barkley and thats who they will take.

- - - Updated - - -

nix will make the rest of the picks

mjt328
04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
i think they were just saying ralph in the context of being owner. the guy is laying in bed in detroit eating apple sauce. he doesnt even know who barkley or tavon austin are, let alone football players.

russ makes the final call with nix making the obvious decision.

move on people

- - - Updated - - -

the only thing im sure of is russ said tell me who the best qb is and take him.

nix says barkley and thats who they will take.

- - - Updated - - -

nix will make the rest of the picks

Just two years ago, they showed the Bills draft room prior to the Dareus pick. There were three individuals at the table: Nix, Gailey and Wilson.

This post by the Bills in-house reporter was specifically about draft hierarchy and the first sentence mentions Wilson.

I think some of us are in denial about how disfunctional this franchise is. Al Davis never let go of his grip on the Raiders until he died, and apparently neither will Wilson.

SquishDaFish
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
I dont know how you got Wilson has final say out of that article. Stop looking so far into ****. Russ is the main guy now

The Jokeman
04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

And there you go.

People are putting too big of a Nassib connection to the Bills coaching staff, I mean if all this was true then by this logic we should have taken Jonathan Dwyer (who prior to the draft graded as a 1st Round talent by some) or Demaryius Thomas (as Stevie was an unknown at that point) in the 1st Round the year we took CJ (Gailey's first year with the squad). Instead I think we draft on our board and that is all. Yet sadly I wonder if we focus on the entire process because there was talk the Bills submitted their pick last year for Gilmore before listening to offers and if we could of gotten what the Eagles gave the Seahawks for pick 12 (pick 15, 114 and 172) I'm angry. As there's a good chance we could have gotten Gilmore at pick 15 since no CBs went from picks 11-16 last year.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Just two years ago, they showed the Bills draft room prior to the Dareus pick. There were three individuals at the table: Nix, Gailey and Wilson.

This post by the Bills in-house reporter was specifically about draft hierarchy and the first sentence mentions Wilson.

I think some of us are in denial about how disfunctional this franchise is. Al Davis never let go of his grip on the Raiders until he died, and apparently neither will Wilson.

i dont care if wilson is there, he was in a wheel chair drooling eating some chili dog like that judge with chevy chase and demi moore in that movie( cant remember the name).

if wilson was honestly making picks, the picks wouldnt make any tangible sense. ie, like the raiders. you would see the bills draft denard robinson or some ******ed **** at 8

he has had serious health issues the past two years, to the point where i dont think russ even talks to ralph about picks, rather his family. his family probably said they dont give a **** who they pick, just make profits

The Jokeman
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
It'll be Lamonica then.

How would the history of this franchise changed had we kept Lamonica one has to wonder.

mjt328
04-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I dont know how you got Wilson has final say out of that article. Stop looking so far into ****. Russ is the main guy now

Uh, how about the first 8 words of the article...
"Although Mr. Wilson ultimately makes the final call..."

mjt328
04-24-2013, 06:10 PM
if wilson was honestly making picks, the picks wouldnt make any tangible sense.

And...
I rest my case.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
And...
I rest my case.

so.... spiller, dareus, gilmore make no sense? really?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 07:18 PM
ever since nix got here, outside of qb, our drafts have been solid and great in rd 1 where the pick makes sense and is obvious from all angles.

no whitners over a ngata, no mccargos, no wires, no tim andersons, or injured rb, no i trick pony pass rusher from the big ten, etc etc...

in fact buffalo has avoided the talentless big ten for 3 years

SquishDaFish
04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Uh, how about the first 8 words of the article...
"Although Mr. Wilson ultimately makes the final call..."

Uh I think the article just meant that in general because he IS THE OWNER LOL. Russ is the final say

NOT THE DUDE...
04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
in fact, if it werent for a bad back, our top 3 drafts in rds 1-3 have been the best since polian and butler.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2013, 07:30 PM
So basically, the Bills organization lied about Ralph Wilson giving up control of the team.

DynaPaul
04-24-2013, 07:33 PM
You guys are crazy. The draft is on too late, Ralph will be sleeping right through it.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 07:35 AM
So basically, the Bills organization lied about Ralph Wilson giving up control of the team.

woah, surprise, surprise. the bills said one thing and did the exact opposite just to try and satiate a fan base tired of their crap.

jwenger
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
How would the history of this franchise changed had we kept Lamonica one has to wonder.

True Story: Back in the 60's when we had both Daryl LaMonica and Jack Kemp they along with
a bunch of Bills players all lived in some luxury apartments in Buffalo. And LaMonica pictured
himself a lover and would mess around with players wives. He got beat up pretty bad and was
disliked by his teamates so he was traded off to Oakland.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Just because an Owner has 'final say', doesn't mean he's going to use it. For the Bills going forward, I would find it highly unlikely that Ralph will have any say at all, on stuff like the Draft or FA.
History lesson - when he makes a guy President, he gives them the keys. See Donohoe.
This is a typical 'storm in a teacup' deal.
You want to be worried? Worry more about Brandon deciding who the pick is, rather than Nix or Whaley.

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 12:48 PM
taken out of context

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
i just remember a michael silver article the year we drafted marshawn. he was rating the owners in his annual article and he had a story from that draft where in the fourth round the bills scouts had a pick lined up but ralph wanted another running back so we took him (i blank on his name) instead of another player.

Ralph is a meddler. he's a degenerate gambler. once things look interesting, he jumps in with no expertise...just his gut. and everyone else pays the price.