PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Byrd is in play to potentially be traded for picks tonight

Skooby
04-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Several teams have inquired about a Byrd trade, knowing Byrd isn't a happy camper (only player to miss Vol camp). A few of the teams draft at the end of the 1st round this season & are willing to toss in combo's of 2nd / 3rd round picks, knowing that Byrd is a sure thing versus a draft pick.

They'll see who's available at the time but Byrd is in play right now, make no mistake about it.

Go Bills !!

Bangarang
04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Obviously

gonzo1105
04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
So are you going to go away when Byrd doesn't get traded and the Bills dont trade for the 31st pick?

GvilleBills
04-25-2013, 08:27 AM
No one who has not signed the tender, and are currently working non parameters of long term contract, shows up for VOLUNTARY camp.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Several teams have inquired about a Byrd trade, knowing Byrd isn't a happy camper (only player to miss Vol camp). A few of the teams draft at the end of the 1st round this season & are willing to toss in combo's of 2nd / 3rd round picks, knowing that Byrd is a sure thing versus a draft pick.

They'll see who's available at the time but Byrd is in play right now, make no mistake about it.

Go Bills !!

Source? How did you come across this info?

Would love to trade Byrd for more picks. We need to build the offense around the new QB and Spiller. If we can get 2 picks for him then we will be ahead of the game especially if he isn't happy about being here.

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 08:34 AM
A few of the teams draft at the end of the 1st round this season & are willing to toss in combo's of 2nd / 3rd round picks,

Is PAt Moran saying that teams are willing to pay just as much for Byrd than Tampa did for Revis?

PTI
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Please trade Kyle Williams too!!! Someone will overpay for him in a pick or picks

Pinkerton Security
You could say the same about every single other player on the Bills.

Mahdi
Is PAt Moran saying that teams are willing to pay just as much for Byrd than Tampa did for Revis?

Byrd is a PB S. 1 year younger, cheaper to sign, and healthy. So its not that crazy.

Albany,n.y.
04-25-2013, 08:41 AM

Big difference between pick 13 & a pick in the mid-late 20s.

gonzo1105
04-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Also, until Byrd signs his franchise tender he can't be traded.

better days
04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Also, until Byrd signs his franchise tender he can't be traded.

If the Bills & Byrd can agree on a trade with another team, it takes seconds to sign a piece of paper.

DBrown77
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
I dont think anyone is going to trade for him without a long term contract in place either.

bills4ver
04-25-2013, 08:56 AM
can he be traded since he has NOT signed his tender?

I thought that means he is not even a member of the team till he signs and cannot be traded.

better days
04-25-2013, 08:59 AM
The Bills, Byrd & another team ALL have to agree to a trade. If that happens, Byrd signs the tender & negotiates a contract with the new team. All this can easily happen.

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Big difference between pick 13 & a pick in the mid-late 20s.

I realize that but Revis when healthy is arguably the best and Byrd isn't. I doubt anyone would pay a 1st and a 2nd/3rd for Byrd. Maybe a 2nd.

bills4ver
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I would want nothing less than a top 20 - 1st round and 3rd round pick anything less its not worth it.

I would want a 1st and 2nd

You have to remember most teams that want a safety will be taking a question mark even with the 1st round pick, Byrd is a top 3 play maker so giving up multiple top picks is possible. It's more the $$ where a rookie is cheaper.

Skooby
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
can he be traded since he has NOT signed his tender?

I thought that means he is not even a member of the team till he signs and cannot be traded.

The Bills have the right to trade him with or without the tender signed.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
the great thing about trading byrd is that if you don't trade him tonight, he's kind of stuck with signing the tender if he wants to play this year. so if there are teams interested, you should drag them for a hershel walker type payment...maybe not that ridiculous, but if you have two teams asking for him and they can only offer a late 1st, i would want their first next year and a picks this year. No way i am giving up a byrd for a late first and maybe one other later pick this year.

Skooby
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
the great thing about trading byrd is that if you don't trade him tonight, he's kind of stuck with signing the tender if he wants to play this year. so if there are teams interested, you should drag them for a hershel walker type payment...maybe not that ridiculous, but if you have two teams asking for him and they can only offer a late 1st, i would want their first next year and a picks this year. No way i am giving up a byrd for a late first and maybe one other later pick this year.

That's a last minute phone call that might get the Bills to jump.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 09:31 AM

I would easily trade Byrd for a 1st and a 3rd or a 1st and a 2nd. No doubt.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
This is awesome. The 2009 draft was the only great one we've had in welll over a decade and less than a year from now they could all be gone.

I LOVE BUDDY NIX

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
This is awesome. The 2009 draft was the only great one we've had in welll over a decade and less than a year from now they could all be gone.

I LOVE BUDDY NIX

Would you care if it parlays into 2-3 top players?

If Byrd brings us Barkley, Eifert/Austin and a top safety I'll be happy with that.

Joe Fo Sho
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM

If Byrd brings us Barkley, Eifert/Austin and a top safety I'll be happy with that.

Those are 'top players'?

Scumbag College
04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I think that the only way Byrd gets traded today is if the Bills and/or Byrd and his agent have no interest in pursuing a long term deal between the two. Kind of a Peerless Price situation where he was franchised and traded knowing full well that he would walk after the year and that the Bills would get nothing out of the deal except having him play the one year he was franchised.

It would really be telling if the Bills traded him as far as the mindset of OBD and their expectations of the team this year. Getting rid of Byrd will more than likely have Searcy, horrible CB Aaron Williams moving to safety, and/or a rookie starting at the safety positions. This would make the Bills deficient at yet another position, sacrificing one of the best players on the team for rookies and unknowns to bring in more rookies.

I'm on the fence about moving Byrd. He's been a solid, young player and deserves a long term contract. But with the money already tied up in the defense line and being so devoid of talent elsewhere, he might be too rich for the blood of OBD to sign to a long term deal.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 09:52 AM

How often has that ever happened? You are talking about trading away a 26 year old two time All-Pro and assuming you'll get three elite players back?

Guess how many two-time All Pros the whole 2009 draft has produced so far? Two. And you want to trade one of them.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 09:58 AM

It's all relative. A Byrd in the hand, is well worth 2 players who might never emerge from the bushes, imho.

We can get Barkley, a decent TE, and another Safety with our first 3 picks anyway.

If we sign Byrd to a long term deal, e.g. 5 years, we can justifiably expect him to both see it out with us, and actually perform for that length of time. Anything else is pure speculation.

Now if there was a Luck or RG3 in this draft, then to get a guy like that, I think you would consider it, but as there isn't, you shouldn't.

People get way too enamored of having a bunch of draft picks, when to get them you are losing proven talent.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Those are 'top players'?

yes.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 10:12 AM

I just want to quote this again because it's still making my head spin. You want to deal Byrd to get those three guys. Why don't we just keep Byrd, draft Barkley in the first and Ertz in the second and then, ta daaaa, we've got Barkley, a receiving TE threat, and a top safety.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
I just want to quote this again because it's still making my head spin. You want to deal Byrd to get those three guys. Why don't we just keep Byrd, draft Barkley in the first and Ertz in the second and then, ta daaaa, we've got Barkley, a receiving TE threat, and a top safety.

Because I don't think its that simple.

First, I don't think Ertz is as good as Eifert. I think Eifert can be in the Jimmy Graham mold.

Second, Ertz himself won't last till 41.

Plus I think Aaron Williams has a good shot at being a solid FS.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Because I don't think its that simple.

First, I don't think Ertz is as good as Eifert. I think Eifert can be in the Jimmy Graham mold.

Second, Ertz himself won't last till 41.

Plus I think Aaron Williams has a good shot at being a solid FS.

If Ertz and Eifert are both off the board by 41, that drops another wideout to us, whether that be DaRick Rogers, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, etc.

Remember, to improve from someone like Rogers to Eifert, you are willing to sacrifice a proven NFL superstar.

Think about that for a second.

PS Aaron Williams sucks. He might be able to salvage his career as a safety, but he's not going to be close to replicating Byrd.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't. we took him in the second round, so everyone else passed on him. we are offering him a 1 year contract and a willingness to extend.

if someone needs a Safety badly to get put over the hump in a division with great receivers, i'm thinking they should be really desperate. we've got needs and one pro bowl player. we can go 2-14 with or without him. so it will come down to what we get in return. and the niners have a lot they can offer. and they have excess that they don't even want themselves. make them pay. They are in their window to get the job done.

Joe Fo Sho
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
yes.

I guess you meant top players in this years draft...which many have said is one of the worst draft classes in recent history.

Bills Juggernaut
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Hmmmmm,.............

Trade Bryd to SF for 1st and both 2nd's...........

Trade from 8 with Vikes for both of their firsts (they get their Percy Harvin replacment in Austin).

Gives the Bills: 23, 25, 31, 34, 41, 61............

Patterson, Manti, Jonathan Cyprien (http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013jcyprien.php), Glennon (or insert your favorite QB here), Eritz, Kyle Long (OG)..........

Sorry, just fantasizing out loud............

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I guess you meant top players in this years draft...which many have said is one of the worst draft classes in recent history.

No this is not a bad draft class, in fact, its a very good draft class. The only issue with it is that the top end talent for picks 1-10 are not as strong as most years.

However, you can get a player in this draft in late round 2 or early round 3 that is just as valued as a player in the mid-late round 1.

Especially if you are looking at WRs, safeties, CBs, RBs, and LBs.

stuckincincy
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

..."For a player carrying the non-exclusive tag, he can negotiate with any other team. Ultimately, one offer sheet can be signed.

Once it’s signed, the situation simplifies considerably. The player’s current team will match the offer and keep him, or the player’s team will not match the offer and collect a pair of first-round picks from the new team.

The two first-round picks given as compensation must be the team’s original picks — not any picks obtained via trade or otherwise."...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Source? How did you come across this info?
Obviously he got a phone call from a buddy. Duh.

OpIv37
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM

I think you are overstating the Bills' bargaining position on this one. Byrd walks next year for nothing. If we don't trade him this off-season, all we get is a S with an $8 million cap hit in a wasted season. And other teams know it. A late first and a mid-late round pick is the best we will get for him. In a perfect world, I'd like to lock Byrd up long term, but that's not gonna happen, so in the real world, I'd be happy with the trade.

But I'll be furious if we trade Byrd then take a S at 8. I'm so tired of the perpetual rebuilding cycle.

better days
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
..."For a player carrying the non-exclusive tag, he can negotiate with any other team. Ultimately, one offer sheet can be signed.

Once it’s signed, the situation simplifies considerably. The player’s current team will match the offer and keep him, or the player’s team will not match the offer and collect a pair of first-round picks from the new team.

The two first-round picks given as compensation must be the team’s original picks — not any picks obtained via trade or otherwise."...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/10-things-to-know-about-the-franchise-tag/

When has a team EVER given up TWO first rnd picks in that manor? If Byrd goes, it will be in a TRADE.

mjt328
04-25-2013, 11:06 AM
If Byrd gets traded - regardless of the other picks we make - tonight will be an absolute DISASTER.

OpIv37
04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
When has a team EVER given up TWO first rnd picks in that manor? If Byrd goes, it will be in a TRADE.

It never happens in the NFL. No player is worth 2 first round picks so no one ever does it. They always agree to a trade for more reasonable compensation. The rule was set up to discourage teams from signing tagged players away from other teams, and so far it has worked.

In the NHL, you'll see teams sign RFA's to offer sheets and force teams to match or give up picks for the player, but not in the NFL.

OpIv37
04-25-2013, 11:12 AM
If Byrd gets traded - regardless of the other picks we make - tonight will be an absolute DISASTER.

I don't want to trade Byrd but the reality is that he's walking after next season. Might as well get something for him.

I just don't want to trade him then use the 1st or 2nd on another S, because all that does is maintain status quo. We need to use the picks to fill existing holes, not holes that we create by trading a guy right before we pick.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Byrd can still be tagged again next year. The cost goes up a bit, but not to a level that is unmanageable.
No reason to trade proven ability now, for a couple of extra lottery tickets.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
I love these types of threads where people just want to trade away our best players for a couple draft picks. They act like every pick will be a hit and you would need to use one of the draft picks just to replace Byrd. Most likely that guy isn't going to be as good and with the Bills track record you could end up with two average or lousy players.

This is the mentality from the Bills and the fans that has made us a 5-7 win team for almost the last decade. We never improve and we just keep staying the same. Instead of adding to your team like good teams do we just hope to replace them with somebody close to the same level. It's time to start building a team instead of constantly rebuilding like we always do.

You have to love some of these fans. They overrate every player when they are here and then act like every player is worse then they are on the way out the door. One day they think a player is the best at his position in the NFL and the next day they are easily replaceable and not worth the money. I know this strategy has worked so well for us and our drafts have been so good so I can see their reasoning.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
The only way I would trade Byrd is if it's guaranteed that we're not going to be able to re-sign him to an extension and he will be leaving after this season. Anybody who thinks we would get the same level of draft picks that the Jets received for Revis is just being a delusional fan.

Revis is the best CB in the NFL when he's healthy and is a far more important position. Byrd is a top 3-5 safety in the NFL at a least important position. If we could get a single late first round pick for him it would be a good deal. Either that or a 2nd round pick along with a middle round pick around the 3rd/4th round is what we could realistically expect. If that was the case then I'd rather take the extra pick in the 2014 draft for a round higher and get a 2nd or 3rd out of it next year.

Either that or a type of trade with San Francisco where they would swap their #31 pick for our #41 along with getting their #33 pick in return. That would allow us to move back up into the first round without sacrificing any other draft picks to get a QB if we don't take one at #8 and still basically get a 1st round pick for him at #33.

Then we could just use one of them draft picks to "easily" replace his spot on the roster. Once again we're no further ahead and unless the guy is just as good as Byrd then we're even further behind.

One guy I could live with trading is Kyle Williams if we could get a 3rd round pick for him. He's an aging DT who will be on the downside of his career long before we can even think about being a contender again. Especially since we're moving to a 34 that changes the entire structure that we need on the DL. I don't see anything like this happening either though.

Skooby
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM
The only way I would trade Byrd is if it's guaranteed that we're not going to be able to re-sign him to an extension and he will be leaving after this season. Anybody who thinks we would get the same level of draft picks that the Jets received for Revis is just being a delusional fan.

Revis is the best CB in the NFL when he's healthy and is a far more important position. Byrd is a top 3-5 safety in the NFL at a least important position. If we could get a single late first round pick for him it would be a good deal. Either that or a 2nd round pick along with a middle round pick around the 3rd/4th round is what we could realistically expect. If that wast he case then I'd rather take the extra pick in the 2014 draft for a round higher and get a 2nd or 3rd out of it.

Then we could just use one of them draft picks to "easily" replace his spot on the roster. Once again we're no further ahead and unless the guy is just as good as Byrd then we're even further behind.

One guy I could live with trading is Kyle Williams if we could get a 3rd round pick for him. He's an aging DT who will be on the downside of his career long before we can even think about being a contender again. Especially since we're moving to a 34 that changes the entire structure that we need on the DL. I don't see anything like this happening either though.

This is the draft we can get Max value for Byrd, but he's healthy & I'd prefer to keep him.

Meathead
04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
peter griffin would be devestated

jimbohastle51
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Tender has to be signed or the team he was dealt to would have to agree to a deal with him before the trade could happen. Those are the rules by the agreed upon CBA. Byrd is not going to be traded tonight. You do have the right to post what you would like though.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
It never happens in the NFL. No player is worth 2 first round picks so no one ever does it. They always agree to a trade for more reasonable compensation. The rule was set up to discourage teams from signing tagged players away from other teams, and so far it has worked.

There are plenty of players worth 2 firsts, they just get the exclusive tag. If Brees had been non-exclusive tagged last year, there would have been a stampede to sign him for two firsts.

Kyle is only 30. By comparison, Pat Williams didn't even start making pro bowls until he was 34

TigerJ
04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
It's been said before, but I'll go ahead and say it again. Byrd missed the voluntary minicamp because as a player who is not under contract he has no protection for future earnings should he have a serious injury in the voluntary mini-camp. If he blows out his achilles tendon planting his foot the wrong way, he's not only lost income for a year, he may well never be the same player again, and thus unable to collect a big payday. His agent probably read him the riot act and said, under no conditions should you attend that mini-camp.

It may well be that Byrd is unhappy having been franchised, but whatever his mood, it would have been a stupid risk for him to take.

jimbohastle51
04-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I saw Mitch post "This is the draft we can get max value for Byrd" I am curious what his idea of max value is? Byrd is a 26yr old two time pro bowl free safety with 18 career INT's in only 4 seasons. One of which he lead the NFL (tied with Darren Sharper) in INT's.

Darrelle revis is 27 (a year older) and coming off of an ACL surgery. Revised also only has 1, yes 1 more career INT than Byrd. I understand that they play two different positions but if the jets got the 13th pick and a 3rd round pick next year (its a 4th that almost certainly becomes a 3rd) honest if you really do understand the business side of football do you think Byrd is worth? Its not a 2nd and a 3rd my friend. It would be a top 10 pick in this draft, yes a top 10 pick for a HEALTHY, proven, young, dynamic playmaker and no team in the top ten is giving that pick to the bills this year nor do the bills want to trade him. Again you of course have your rights and can continue to post what you would like.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 05:38 PM
There are plenty of players worth 2 firsts, they just get the exclusive tag. If Brees had been non-exclusive tagged last year, there would have been a stampede to sign him for two firsts.

Kyle is only 30. By comparison, Pat Williams didn't even start making pro bowls until he was 34

Every player is different and most DT's start losing a step around 30. There are more that do then doesn't. He also isn't even close to the same level that Pat Williams was. I'm not for searching for a trade for him but if a good offer came in I would take it with the new defense we're running. He still has a couple good years left in him and would be on the downside long before we could think about being a contender again.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2013, 05:42 PM
I love these types of threads
where people just want to trade away our best players for a couple draft picks. They act like every pick will be a hit and you would need to use one of the draft picks just to replace Byrd. Most likely that guy isn't going to be as good and with the Bills track record you could end up with two average or lousy players.

This is the mentality from the Bills and the fans that has made us a 5-7 win team for almost the last decade. We never improve and we just keep staying the same. Instead of adding to your team like good teams do we just hope to replace them with somebody close to the same level. It's time to start building a team instead of constantly rebuilding like we always do.

You have to love some of these fans. They overrate every player when they are here and then act like every player is worse then they are on the way out the door. One day they think a player is the best at his position in the NFL and the next day they are easily replaceable and not worth the money. I know this strategy has worked so well for us and our drafts have been so good so I can see their reasoning.

its not wanting to, its math.... and we have other players i want to keep, dareus, spiller, possibly glenn, wood, hairston, carrington....

- - - Updated - - -

and if hes leaving, might as well get something

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Every player is different and most DT's start losing a step around 30. There are more that do then doesn't. He also isn't even close to the same level that Pat Williams was. I'm not for searching for a trade for him but if a good offer came in I would take it with the new defense we're running. He still has a couple good years left in him and would be on the downside long before we could think about being a contender again.

DT is a position where players can go longer than you think. Ted Washington was still a 16 game starter into his late 30's, to name one example.

And you've got some rose colored glasses on if you think Kyle isn't up there with Pat. Look at their stats. Kyle Williams has already obliterated Pat Williams' numbers in a Bills uni and he's played one year fewer than him.

Kyle Williams probably has at least 3-4 more excellent years in him, which co-incidentally is how long his contract runs for. I cannot for the life of me understand the logic of dealing away our best players because we're supposedly three years away from contending. Gee, I wonder why we're perpetually three years away? Could it be because we keep dealing away our talented players for diminishing returns?

Scheme fit is equally foolish. The PLAYERS should dictate the SCHEME. You shouldn't install a scheme that mitigates the talent of your best players. That's completely backwards.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 06:09 PM
its not wanting to, its math.... and we have other players i want to keep, dareus, spiller, possibly glenn, wood, hairston, carrington....

- - - Updated - - -

and if hes leaving, might as well get something

Is that what you say with every player? When it comes time for them then we can use the same excuse. There will always be another young draft pick approaching free agency. That's why we're never BUILDING a team and we're always rebuilding instead.

Glenn is a rookie and is still three years away for gods sake. Woods needs to prove he can stay healthy at least one season before you think about that. Plus after this season are you going to say it's not worth giving him 8+ million a year too?

Spiller is definitely worth keeping around and it would be wise to extend him sooner rather then later. A six year extension to take him to around his 30th birthday would be ideal.

Dareus still hasn't proved that he's worth big money when his contract is up. He still has 2-3 years to prove he would be worth the money.

As far as Hairston and Carrington go if you are really worried about not signing Byrd to save money to re-sign them guys then it's not even worth debating the subject with you. Both of them are marginal starters at best and Carrington still hasn't been able to win a starting job and they even went out and drafted Dareus along with signing Williams and Anderson instead of giving him a chance.

Byrd has proved he is a playmaker and one of our best players on the team. Them are the guys that you re-sign and use your cap space to keep around. Also I thought we couldn't re-sign Levitre because we needed the money for Byrd? Now that it's time to pay him all of a sudden he's expendable because we need the money for X, Y and Z players two or three years from now.

If you think not re-signing Byrd is not important so we could keep guys like Carrington and Hairston then that's just too funny. They shouldn't even be on the list of possible needs. There are plenty of guys to match their production in the draft every year. With the Bills past history them would be the kind of guys we will re-sign though like we did with McKelvin and Kelsay for years. Maybe you were one of the people saying we needed money to keep Demetrius Bell a couple years back too. We really missed the boat on him. Just another example of overrating average players.

But hey there isn't a need to sign one of the best safeties in the NFL. We need that money to keep guys like Hairson and Carrington. That is a complete joke. I guess when a couple years comes by it will be spending all that money on a RB isn't important either because now we would also need to re-sign Gilmore, Glenn, etc. Then when they come around we need that money to sign whatever guys we draft tonight too.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 06:20 PM
DT is a position where players can go longer than you think. Ted Washington was still a 16 game starter into his late 30's, to name one example.

And you've got some rose colored glasses on if you think Kyle isn't up there with Pat. Look at their stats. Kyle Williams has already obliterated Pat Williams' numbers in a Bills uni and he's played one year fewer than him.

Kyle Williams probably has at least 3-4 more excellent years in him, which co-incidentally is how long his contract runs for. I cannot for the life of me understand the logic of dealing away our best players because we're supposedly three years away from contending. Gee, I wonder why we're perpetually three years away? Could it be because we keep dealing away our talented players for diminishing returns?

Scheme fit is equally foolish. The PLAYERS should dictate the SCHEME. You shouldn't install a scheme that mitigates the talent of your best players. That's completely backwards.

I never said Kyle Williams wasn't good but if you think he was as good as Washington or Pat Williams then you're wearing the rose colored glasses. Sacks doesn't mean everything when it comes to a DT. Some of the best DT's in the league rarely gets any sacks if they are there to take on double teams to free up the LB's and others along with stuffing the run. It's not like our run defense has been very good over the years. When we had Washington and Pat Williams we rarely ever gave up a 100 yard rusher and they took on the blockers so everybody else could make plays. When was the last time we had a great run defense? We get gouged to death.

He's a good player but he's not them guys and I never said he was a bad player. If you could get good draft picks on a team years away from contending for guys in their 30's then it would be worth it. It won't happen but many would jump at the chance with this current team.

Yeah the players should dictate the scheme but how often does that happen? Most coordinators come in with their scheme and they try and find guys who fit what they want to do.

GingerP
04-25-2013, 06:22 PM
This rumor is baseless.

The Bills can't trade Byrd because they don't have a contract to trade. Until he signs the tender, he can't be traded.

Even if he signs it, the following is true:

- Any team trading for him would need enough cap room to take on the full tender (eliminating several teams)
- Any team willing to give up a 1st for him would want him to negotiate a contract extension, and there is no time for that
- Any team giving up a 1st in this draft would want to give him a physical to be sure he is healthy, not time for that

That kind of trade would take time to execute. I guess it could happen for future picks, but that could only happen if he signs his tender. Buffalo would have to give a team permission to talk contract and give him a physical first, like Tampa did.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Is that what you say with every player? When it comes time for them then we can use the same excuse. There will always be another young draft pick approaching free agency. That's why we're never BUILDING a team and we're always rebuilding instead.

Glenn is a rookie and is still three years away for gods sake. Woods needs to prove he can stay healthy at least one season before you think about that. Plus after this season are you going to say it's not worth giving him 8+ million a year too?

Spiller is definitely worth keeping around and it would be wise to extend him sooner rather then later. A six year extension to take him to around his 30th birthday would be ideal.

Dareus still hasn't proved that he's worth big money when his contract is up. He still has 2-3 years to prove he would be worth the money.

As far as Hairston and Carrington go if you are really worried about not signing Byrd to save money to re-sign them guys then it's not even worth debating the subject with you. Both of them are marginal starters at best and Carrington still hasn't been able to win a starting job and they even went out and drafted Dareus along with signing Williams and Anderson instead of giving him a chance.

Byrd has proved he is a playmaker and one of our best players on the team. Them are the guys that you re-sign and use your cap space to keep around. Also I thought we couldn't re-sign Levitre because we needed the money for Byrd? Now that it's time to pay him all of a sudden he's expendable because we need the money for X, Y and Z players two or three years from now.

If you think not re-signing Byrd is not important so we could keep guys like Carrington and Hairston then that's just too funny. They shouldn't even be on the list of possible needs. There are plenty of guys to match their production in the draft every year. With the Bills past history them would be the kind of guys we will re-sign though like we did with McKelvin and Kelsay for years. Maybe you were one of the people saying we needed money to keep Demetrius Bell a couple years back too. We really missed the boat on him. Just another example of overrating average players.

But hey there isn't a need to sign one of the best safeties in the NFL. We need that money to keep guys like Hairson and Carrington. That is a complete joke. I guess when a couple years comes by it will be spending all that money on a RB isn't important either because now we would also need to re-sign Gilmore, Glenn, etc. Then when they come around we need that money to sign whatever guys we draft tonight too.

we simply disagree on positional value. it goes way back to pop warner, your best players play qb, rb, wr, de.... same **** applies.

i dont give a **** about a safety who gets 3 picks... lol

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
we simply disagree on positional value. it goes way back to pop warner, your best players play qb, rb, wr, de.... same **** applies.

i dont give a **** about a safety who gets 3 picks... lol

If anything in today's NFL RB is the least important out of that group unless you have one of the best in the league. There's a reason why there isn't many drafted high anymore and only one or two drafted in the first round lately. This isn't 1990 anymore. It's a passing league now and most teams can easily find RB's that fit their system. Many of the top 10 rushing leaders over the years weren't high draft picks with some like Arian Foster who lead the league in rushing being undrafted players. Coaches like Shanny and others with their system can plug in RB's and get production out of them. He did the same with Alfred Morris. It depends on the team and the player.

With that said it makes defensive backs even more important. Byrd isn't as good as Ed Reed but with that thinking the Ravens should've ditched Ed Reed years ago. Not only does Byrd get interceptions he also forces a lot of fumbles.

Sure DE/DL is one of the MOST important positions in football but that applies to top level players and not backup/marginal starters at best. If you think Carrington is anymore then that then maybe you think McKelvin and Kelsay was great signings too. The Bills love keeping many marginal starters around with contract extensions and taking up valuable salary cap space with it.

BillsFever21
04-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Also Byrd has been more then a 3 INT guy. He has 18 INT's over 4 years along with 10 forced fumbles including 4 of them last year. That's 28 turnovers this guy has accounted for over 4 years. I'd take an average of 7 forced turnovers a season anyday. If Alex Carrington is more important then that in the eyes of some people then no wonder why we have sucked for 13 years.