PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Musings/Rumors Draft Day Version

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
I'll keep this quick;
-Continues to look like Fisher and Joeckel will go 1 and 2, the order though is of heavy debate
-Miami appears very close to pulling off the Albert deal
-SF wants to move into the Top 15 and take a SAF
-CLE is looking to get ahead of PHI to take Mingo that would mean a deal down with OAK
-Arizona and Fluker will not go away, I just don't get it
-Bills #8 will be of hot debate in trade scenarios
-Rex Ryan told Tavon Austin they have a plan for him
-We could see no QB's in the Top 10, its been forever since that happened
-2nd Round Top 10 should see a run on QB's (2-4 Nassib, Barkley, Glennon, and Manuel)
-Appears Mayock may be right in saying only 1 QB (Geno) goes in Round 1 barring a late trade up
-Some are saying Landry Jones has emerged as a late 1st/2nd Round prospect
-Jarvis Jones looks to be sitting as a Top 15-20 selection (Saints or Steelers likely)
-Falcons will look to move up for DT Sheldon Richardson or stay put and take CB Jamar Taylor
-The Lions pick at #5 is the biggest unknown right now, so many directions yet many are saying its Ansah
-Don't be shocked if you hear CB DJ Hayden's name tonight, he's a fast riser who missed almost all of last year with a life threatening chest injury

As things get said I'll update all the way through tonight.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 09:20 AM
DB, if blaine gabbert was taken so high and none of these qb's are being considered in top 10, should we be really concerned that all of these guys suck?

i knew gabbert wouldn't work that year. i can probably pull a thread from back then before the draft. it's stunning that the jags would roll the 2nd pick or whatever on him, but no one is curious about this crop.

whkfc
04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
SAF? Sorry if this is supposed to be obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

whkfc
04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Dduh safety

bills4ver
04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Have you heard any truth to the Byrd trade rumors?

Scumbag College
As dynamic of a player as Austin looks to be, if he's there at 8 the Bills have to seriously consider trading that pick to one of the teams whom are contenders with lots of draft picks and move down. I think with a legit QB having Spiller coming out of the backfield with Stevie and Austin would make the Bills dangerous, but for right now the Bills are a team lacking talent, a QB, and need upgrades in too many positions. With an extra pick or two in the first three rounds, I think the Bills have a chance to get at least 3-4 Day 1 starters at either WR, G, LB, TE, CB, and even QB.

psubills62
-Rex Ryan told Tavon Austin they have a plan for him

Haha, just like they had a plan for Tebow.

Thanks for the info, DB.

bills4ver
04-25-2013, 09:31 AM
As dynamic of a player as Austin looks to be, if he's there at 8 the Bills have to seriously consider trading that pick to one of the teams whom are contenders with lots of draft picks and move down. I think with a legit QB having Spiller coming out of the backfield with Stevie and Austin would make the Bills dangerous, but for right now the Bills are a team lacking talent, a QB, and need upgrades in too many positions. With an extra pick or two in the first three rounds, I think the Bills have a chance to get at least 3-4 Day 1 starters at either WR, G, LB, TE, CB, and even QB.

I agree 100% we need to move back a few and pick up at least another 2nd round pick. In a perfect world move back and get two 1st round picks.

Bangarang
04-25-2013, 09:31 AM
So crazy.

In February, Geno was a lock to go #1 and we were sad for it.

In March, Geno wasn't a lock to go #1 and we were excited he might fall to us.

In April, nobody cares or wants him.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
So the Bills #8 should give them good chances to actually trade down this year, is that what you are saying DB?

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Have you heard any truth to the Byrd trade rumors?

Not a single peep, in fact I've heard Byrd wants to be back. Doesn't mean his price will be at a discount though.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, just like they had a plan for Tebow.

Thanks for the info, DB.

Well played.

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Ian Rapoport has broken this day all to pieces.

He has announced the top player on the Bills draft board is...WR Tavon Austin.

There is a whole different thread for it (since it merits its own discussion) on the BZ.

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
DB, if blaine gabbert was taken so high and none of these qb's are being considered in top 10, should we be really concerned that all of these guys suck?

i knew gabbert wouldn't work that year. i can probably pull a thread from back then before the draft. it's stunning that the jags would roll the 2nd pick or whatever on him, but no one is curious about this crop.

I think a lot of people are curious/hesitant. This year shows a return to true market value (assuming it plays out how Mayock expects) rather than the idiotic model of just taking a QB to get one. If you have a QB whose a 2nd Round talent value wise you don't just take him in the Top 10 because he's a QB. That how teams end up with Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder.

- - - Updated - - -

So crazy.

In February, Geno was a lock to go #1 and we were sad for it.

In March, Geno wasn't a lock to go #1 and we were excited he might fall to us.

In April, nobody cares or wants him.

For the record I'd love Geno.

- - - Updated - - -

So the Bills #8 should give them good chances to actually trade down this year, is that what you are saying DB?

I was until the Rapoport news. I expected Austin to be high on their board but #1 overall, damn.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Not a single peep, in fact I've heard Byrd wants to be back. Doesn't mean his price will be at a discount though.

Good. I've said elsewhere, that we should be paying him. He's the right everything, except cheap. Give him a 5 year deal, and he will see it out, still performing. It'll be expensive, but I'd rather that than worry about getting the position fixed, when it doesn't need fixing. Life rule of thumb - if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well played.

ServoBillieves
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Heard St. Louis is very interested in Tavon Austin, and with the talk from Bills town and NY they might give up one of their 1sts to move up... which would be perfect to get more picks and some value out of a QB.

Was just on ESPN... I have ESPN on my main TV and NFLN on my mini. Mayock said he heard it was a possibility.

Mr. Pink
04-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Remember back a while ago when I said 3 QBs maximum in round 1, 3 might have been too optimistic. Geno is the only guy really worthy of being selected in the first, imo.

Hayden will be the first CB selected tonight, have a feeling.

Mingo would fill out Cleveland's new 3-4 look nicely.

swiper
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll keep this quick

That's what she said.

swiper
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Dduh safety

They're trying to upgrade from Donte Whitner!

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 12:14 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-Were-getting-more-phone-calls-than-usual/da20fab7-36db-4ca8-a77f-de0e123ef7ba

VERY Interesting....

Night Train
04-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Heard St. Louis is very interested in Tavon Austin, and with the talk from Bills town and NY they might give up one of their 1sts to move up... which would be perfect to get more picks and some value out of a QB.

Was just on ESPN... I have ESPN on my main TV and NFLN on my mini. Mayock said he heard it was a possibility.

McShay keeps saying that on the SVP show. Rams move from #16 to #8 to get Austin. Sounds good to me.

Don't Panic
04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
I would guess a #8 for #16 swap would net a 2nd rounder as well... that could really set us up for a good weekend. Best case scenario... we make the swap and then Geno falls in our lap at #16, leaving us with three very good picks (#41,#46 and #71) to fill holes at G, WR, LB and/or CB. That would be ideal.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I would guess a #8 for #16 swap would net a 2nd rounder as well... that could really set us up for a good weekend. Best case scenario... we make the swap and then Geno falls in our lap at #16, leaving us with three very good picks (#41,#46 and #71) to fill holes at G, WR, LB and/or CB. That would be ideal.

On the old value chart, it works out pretty much exactly right. #8 for #16 and #48 (1400 for #8 and 1000 for #16 + 420 for #48)

psubills62
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
From rotoworld.com:

While text messaging with NFL executives, Yahoo's Jason Cole received three conflicting responses regarding what the Bills will do at the No. 8 overall pick.

It's more confirmation that no one knows what's happening in the draft -- not even the teams themselves. "Trade down to right spot for (Geno) Smith," one executive texted. "They want (Ryan) Nassib," said another. "Heating (Matt) Barkley in Buffalo," added a third. We feel somewhat confident Buffalo's true target is Nassib, but nothing is certain. We'll find out in less than six hours.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
From rotoworld.com:

The one thing the Bills FO have done really well this year, is keep everyone guessing.
About the only thing they will know, is we would trade back for more picks. ;)

psubills62
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
The one thing the Bills FO have done really well this year, is keep everyone guessing.
About the only thing they will know, is we would trade back for more picks. ;)
I really, really hope they trade back.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
If Geno is on the board I absolutely do NOT want them trading back, I think there is zero chance the Jets pass on him twice.