PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: #1 Player on Buffalo Bills Draft Board is...

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:24 AM
WR Tavon Austin

That per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on twitter;
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/327437942069010434

That puts #8 into a different perspective.

Joe Fo Sho
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I hope he's on the board when we pick.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
WR Tavon Austin

Doesn't that make you skeptical? Why would anyone in the Bills org. divulge that info?

Bone
04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Don't have twitter what does it say

PTI
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
We have always added extra value to the KR and PR!!!!!!

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
People screaming smoke screen all over, but tell me the last time the Bills pulled that off under Nix?

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

All picks that leaked 1-2 days early that people previously declared smoke screens.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

"The #1 player on the Bills board, Tavon Austin, So.. would they trade that?"

sukie
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Isn't he like really short? Could be confused with Gerbe short?

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Doesn't that make you skeptical? Why would anyone in the Bills org. divulge that info?

Because for three straight years they have.

The Bills have leaked picks like Spiller, Dareus, and Gilmore every year. Glenn too for that matter.

Mahdi
People screaming smoke screen all over, but tell me the last time the Bills pulled that off under Nix?

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

All picks that leaked 1-2 days early that people previously declared smoke screens.

True, maybe that's how Nix operates.

PTI
Yeah! Next year's number 1 for the 5th pick and take Austin and then take a QB #8!!!! Super Bowl this year!

Skooby
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Lies lies lies, this is spam & cruel. This board is falling apart, how can you people do this??

J/K.

Mski
im not sold on Austin... didnt we see the small but fast and elusive WR experiment fail recently? Roscoe?

stuckincincy
WR Tavon Austin

:madcloud:

Thurmal
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Ugghh. Another undersized WR that can be injured 50%. I do like the Bills' committment to always having 6-7 good punt returners at all times.

jwenger
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Austin is the #1 rated WR in the draft before Patterson even.
I'd love him and E.J. next. That would put some excitement
into the Bills. Unlike the old boring style we saw with Fitz.
We need WR and QB and these are our guys.

ThunderGun
04-25-2013, 10:55 AM
I would never draft a player in the top 10 who weighs under 200 lbs.

mjt328
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM
My #1 preference is still Geno Smith. To me, he's got the best mix of everything we are looking for in a QB.

However, if we are looking for BPA - you really can't go wrong by grabbing Tavon Austin. The guy is absolutely dominant and a threat to score a touchdown on every play.

Think of the possibilities with Spiller and Austin on the same field...

better days
Because for three straight years they have.

The Bills have leaked picks like Spiller, Dareus, and Gilmore every year. Glenn too for that matter.

Glenn was being talked about as the Bills FIRST pick last year.

DraftBoy
Glenn was being talked about as the Bills FIRST pick last year.

Yes I'm referring to Thursday night and into Friday morning.

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I would never draft a player in the top 10 who weighs under 200 lbs.
You think Spiller was a bad pick?

MidnightVoice
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163272/article/tavon-austin-ranks-no-1-on-buffalo-bills-draft-board

Rex Ryan insists he has a "plan" for Tavon Austin if the New York Jets pick him up in the 2013 NFL Draft, but if the Buffalo Bills have anything to say about it, Gang Green will spend its days trying to stop the electric West Virginia wideout.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the Bills have Austin rated as the No. 1 player on their draft board. Chalk it up as a well-timed tidbit out of Buffalo.

The Jets, drafting one spot after the Bills at No. 9, have shown considerable interest in Austin. New York's moribund offense could use a playmaker and Austin widely is seen as the most dynamic weapon in this year's draft. Buffalo would like nothing more than to make the Jets sweat for the player of their choice.

Still, the Bills have been singing Austin's praises for weeks. "He's on our radar, and high on our radar," assistant general manager Doug Whaley said earlier this month. On paper, he's arguably a much better fit for coach Doug Marrone's creative attack than he would be in New York.

Maybe Buffalo has fallen in love, but either way, this is smart work by the Bills. In a first round draped in mystery, putting it out there that Buffalo is about to pull the trigger on Austin at No. 8 puts the rest of the NFL on blast.

Tavon Austin: New York Jets have a plan for me

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163237/article/tavon-austin-new-york-jets-have-a-plan-for-me

That's why it would be such a shame if Austin was drafted by the least interesting offense in the NFL. Austin told Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger that New York Jets coach Rex Ryan showed particular interest.

"(Ryan) said he had a plan for me. I talked to the offensive coordinator (Marty Mornhinweg), and they said they like players like me who can bring big-play ability there," Austin told the Star-Ledger on Thursday.

Ryan even joked to Austin they would possibly use him on defensive plays. With picks No. 9 and 13 in the first round, it's hard to imagine the Jets not investing in some offensive firepower. That could be Austin, tight end Tyler Eifert, or possibly quarterback Geno Smith. (Of course, Austin could always get drafted by Buffalo before even getting to the Jets.)

"I met everybody, and they pretty much said they like me a lot, and hopefully we can make it happen," Austin said.

Bill Cody
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I hope he's on the board when we pick.

Me too. Not that I want to draft him. But there are teams that do and that would be our ticket for a trade down.

mjt328
04-25-2013, 11:03 AM
im not sold on Austin... didnt we see the small but fast and elusive WR experiment fail recently? Roscoe?

Look farther than the size comparison. Tavon Austin is infinitely more talented than Roscoe Parrish.
Parrish was a below average route runner with average hands, who needed the ball in open space to make something happen. That's why he was best as a punt returner. Austin is a terrific route runner with very good hands, and one of the most elusive players I've ever seen. Think CJ Spiller in the slot.

Another thing to consider. Parrish was drafted before the spread became hugely popular and slot receivers became huge weapons in the NFL.

Bangarang
04-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

But Nix always brings his first rounders in for visits. No workouts or visits for Austin makes this hard to believe.

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Ugghh. Another undersized WR that can be injured 50%. I do like the Bills' committment to always having 6-7 good punt returners at all times.

Evidence that smaller players get injured easier please....

MikeInRoch
04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Perhaps it's a play to get a division rival to over-pay to move up and draft someone who would have fallen to them anyway.

I know, it's giving our front office a lot of credit that they might not have earned...

malvado78
04-25-2013, 11:11 AM

You don't have to have twitter to click on a link...

EDS
04-25-2013, 11:12 AM
WR Tavon Austin

If this is true is absolutely confirms how much Buddy Nix is blinded by combine measureables.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

The difference is this year they also like Barkley, Nassib, Jordon and a bunch of other guys.
So far everybody but you and me have been speculated to that pick

Mahdi
04-25-2013, 11:13 AM
If this is true is absolutely confirms how much Buddy Nix is blinded by combine measureables.

Except that Tavon Austin had incredible production over 3 years in college. So, that argument doesn't hold up.

ThunderGun
04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
You think Spiller was a bad pick?

Well yes, but not for that reason (because we had no business drafting a RB).

But I knew somebody would bring up Spiller, who weighed in at 196 lbs. I'll say there is a 5 lb margin of error in my 200 lb rule. lol. Even so, Austin is FAR from 200 lbs. I just don't see his body holding up long-term in the NFL. He's smaller than Desean Jackson.

RedEyE
04-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Considering the holes this team has, Austin would be a bit of a ******ed pick. I thought Stevie was moving into the slot? That's what we heard the entire off season. While I agree WR is a problem for this team, they need a guy with size that can stretch the field and doesn't have problems coming down with a jump ball.

I'd rather they use the pick for the secondary if they don't see the value @8 for a QB.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
so the bills, a team that can't draft and routinely gets busts, is going to spend a high pick on a position that busts the most often?

this is like hitting on a pair of kings in blackjack.

PTI
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Considering the holes this team has, Austin would be a bit of a ******ed pick. I thought Stevie was moving into the slot? That's what we heard the entire off season. While I agree WR is a problem for this team, they need a guy with size that can stretch the field and doesn't have problems coming down with a jump ball.

I'd rather they use the pick for the secondary if they don't see the value @8 for a QB.

Not if you intend on throwing 3 yard passes!

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd love him and E.J. next.

I'd be happy if this happened. This would be awesome.

Imagine Austin blocking for EJ during the read option :snicker:

cookie G
04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
"The #1 player on the Bills board, Tavon Austin, So.. would they trade that?"

Well, they reportedly received a bunch of trade offers for the Spiller pick but declined them all so...maybe not.

If he's the pick, we can do worse.

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
But Nix always brings his first rounders in for visits. No workouts or visits for Austin makes this hard to believe.

Nassib didn't visit either.

DesertFox24
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh please no way Rapport knows our top guy. That was leaked on purpose, no one should be listening to any draft news at this point because it is all smoke screen and crap.

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Well, they reportedly received a bunch of trade offers for the Spiller pick but declined them all so...maybe not.

If he's the pick, we can do worse.

Agreed, reaching for a QB would be a lot worse in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please no way Rapport knows our top guy. That was leaked on purpose, no one should be listening to any draft news at this point because it is all smoke screen and crap.

Pay attention to what Rapoport did here. He didnt cite sources or say he was hearing, he reported this. That means something than a typical smoke screen. Rapoport comes from a newspaper background he's not going to report something based on rumors.

DesertFox24
04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
If the Spiller draft pick shows us anything it is that you never draft for need.

The players we wanted like Graham and the Ga Tech DE have done nothing, only guy that has done anything was JPP and Earl Thomas and none of us wanted JPP because he did not fit the 34.

swiper
04-25-2013, 11:58 AM
LOL. Quick somebody get all the reels of film of Roscoe Parrish's inability to break away from the line-of-scrimmage bumping that he got to ever catch a pass over to Marrone. Quick!

DesertFox24
04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey I have no qualms about picking Austin at 8, in fact I like the idea of Spiller and Austin on the field at the same time.

That being said I will believe Rapport when it happens, everyone thought Ngata back in 06 and it was Whitner.

Honestly no one I really want at 8 but a bunch of guys I like in round 2-4, and I would not be all that mad if we took a developmental QB and ran with Kolb this year.

I really think this defense will be playoff caliber but we not that way on offense.

cookie G
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
My #1 preference is still Geno Smith. To me, he's got the best mix of everything we are looking for in a QB.

However, if we are looking for BPA - you really can't go wrong by grabbing Tavon Austin. The guy is absolutely dominant and a threat to score a touchdown on every play.

As to the risk, well, yeah, there's a risk, but no more than many of the other risks people are talking about at 8.

Agreed on all counts. I'd still prefer to take my chances on Geno if he is there, but this pick does open the possibilities for a good coordinator.

DesertFox24
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
LOL. Quick somebody get all the reels of film of Roscoe Parrish's inability to break away from the line-of-scrimmage bumping that he got to ever catch a pass over to Marrone. Quick!

Sorry man Austin way better than Marrone and Austin played running back against Oklahoma and ran up the middle a bunch no where near as fragile, plus he did 14 reps at 225 he is a strong man.

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
The difference is this year they also like Barkley, Nassib, Jordon and a bunch of other guys.
So far everybody but you and me have been speculated to that pick

True, but I'm still holding out hope that this may finally be my year.

Mr. Pink
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Been thinking for a few weeks now we'd be picking Austin or Vacarro.

Doesn't surprise me that Austin "allegedly" is number 1 on their board.

psubills62
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd rather the #1 player on our draft board be Curvin Johnson. Because "anyone with the last name of Johnson is a good receiver."

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUfjngfcW1c

X-Era
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
WR Tavon Austin

Smokescreen to:

a) Get the Jets to jump above us to get him or trade down for a QB
b) Get another team to trade with us so we move down and get more picks

Pinkerton Security
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Roscoe was a like 2nd round pick who didnt do a ton in college. Austin is arguably the highest rated WR in this class and excelled in college. Maaaybe just a bit of difference?

Night Train
04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
We'll see.

I think it's the misinformation board, with the real one covered up behind it.

Ed
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
So Rapoport is saying that Austin is #1 on the Bills board, but thinks they will still take Nassib at 8?

DraftBoy
04-25-2013, 01:02 PM
So Rapoport is saying that Austin is #1 on the Bills board, but thinks they will still take Nassib at 8?

I think he's saying that Austin is tops but he won't make it to 8.

X-Era
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Nassib didn't visit either.There was no need, the Syracuse connection makes it different than other prospects.

sukie
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Nassib? Marrone has to

1. convince Buddy he is far superior to the other QBs at 8
2. Truly believ 1
3. accept that he has hinged his embryonic career on this kid.

Lexwhat
04-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but I think the Cardinals take Tavon Austin. Now that Bruce Arians has Carson Palmer, and the fit almost seems too perfect with Floyd and Fitzgerald on the outside.

My Mock:
1. Chiefs: One of the top 3 OT
2. Jags: One of the top 3 OT
3. Raiders: Floyd or Ansah
4. Eagles: Floyd or Ansah
5. Lions: One of the top 3 OT
6. Browns: QB (Smith?)
7. Cardinals: Tavon Austin
8. Bills: QB or a Defensive player like Dion Jordan, Kenny Vacaro, or maybe even a guy like Jarvis Jones.

ThunderGun
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
If the Spiller draft pick shows us anything it is that you never draft for need.

The players we wanted like Graham and the Ga Tech DE have done nothing, only guy that has done anything was JPP and Earl Thomas and none of us wanted JPP because he did not fit the 34.

Well the guys I wanted (who all fit needs) were Demaryius Thomas, Dan Williams, and Dez Bryant....in that order. Williams has been suspect, but I'd love to have either Demaryius or Dez on this team, with Stevie, Lynch and Freddy.

Novacane
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

Which would make it all the more believable if he is pulling a smokescreen this time

Don't Panic
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Now that's good posting.

The Jokeman
04-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Dez Bryant would have fit a need too and I think we'd be better off with him than Spiller. I said it then and stand by it.

Mr. Pink
04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Dez Bryant would have fit a need too and I think we'd be better off with him than Spiller. I said it then and stand by it.

You and me both.

Bryant was the guy I wanted then and still want now.

alohabillsfan
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
If the Bills pick a diminutive WR at 8 I will PUKE for one and will not watch the rest of the draft or any bills game except the Jaguars since I live in Jax now. Another reason the BIlss will continue to suck, I hope its not true!

TigerJ
04-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn

All picks that leaked 1-2 days early that people previously declared smoke screens.Nix did inndeed engineer a smoke screen, convincing people that Buffalo's interest in Cordy Glenn was lower than it actually was because Nix, like everybody else, supposedly thought Glenn projected as an interior lineman.

Oaf
04-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Epic smokescreen. Nice job BFO. :up: