PDA

View Full Version : Nix: We're getting more phone calls than usual

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 12:21 PM
“There have been more phone calls than usual,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com “I think part of that is the rookie wage scale. Teams are not afraid to move up because the money is not so great. The other thing is this draft class whether it’s good or bad is there are differences in opinion and a mixed view. Finding the right value for the right pick makes people try to move in the draft.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-Were-getting-more-phone-calls-than-usual/da20fab7-36db-4ca8-a77f-de0e123ef7ba

PTI
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
This is also why teams that do not really need a QB, but like a QB, can afford to take a QB.

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
He also states that
waiting until round two for a quarterback would be “scary.”

We're trading down

mjt328
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Not surprising. They definitely aren't waiting until #41 for QB. Unless they are targeting someone off the wall like Tyler Bray, Landry Jones or Matt Scott - the numbers just don't support their guy lasting that long.

I think the odds are looking pretty good that a trade-down offer will be on the table for us. Dee Milliner, Lane Johnson, Tavon Austin, Dion Jordan - most likely somebody will drop to #8 and the phones will start ringing.

Bangarang
04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
He also states that

We're trading down

Trade down with the Rams and take Barkley at 16 would be ideal.

cookie G
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Well, let's hope he has someone verifying the callers this time...(someone had to say it).

It would be pretty embarassing to announce that SF gave uip all 13 picks for No. 8, only to find out it is another prank.

Night Train
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I bet Whaley showed him the green button on a wireless phone is the answer button, rather than the red one he's been pressing the last 3 years.

BADTHINGSMAN
04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Well, let's hope he has someone verifying the callers this time...(someone had to say it).

It would be pretty embarassing to announce that SF gave uip all 13 picks for No. 8, only to find out it is another prank.

Id hope at that point Nix would know its a joke and not fall for it.

bf1
04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
probably all prank calls

justasportsfan
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
The War room is still using a rotary phone.

X-Era
04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Trade down with the Rams and take Barkley at 16 would be ideal.The part that would be interesting would be if all 3 top guys are there at 8. Then the Bills could bank on the Jets only taking one of their guys at 13 and still get their pick of the other 2 at 16.

What would be ideal is if we made a move to 16 with all 3 top guys available at 8, the Jets then take other positions or one other position and move down and the Bills still have all 3 of their top QB's at 16. I just don't see that happening though.

Buddo
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The other thing that Nix says, is that he wouldn't want to bet on a QB being available in round 2.

I think the one thing with it (probably) being QB we are targeting with our first pick, is that it's actually a lot easier to project who might take one, than other positions, if you are going to trade back.

Bill Cody
04-25-2013, 01:20 PM
There is only 1 top 10 QB prospect in this draft and that's Geno. IMO if he is there at 8 he will be a Bill. If he isn't maybe for once Nix will be listening when the phone rings. I sure hope so.

Skooby
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Could we hold the Jets hostage for their 9th / 13th pick for Tavon / Milliner?

sukie
04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
(ring ring) Hello

caller : Uh yes. May I speak to the man in charge? The decision maker?

OBD: Uh... Well there are 4. Three are here and one is in Detroit in a sitz bath eating pudding.

caller: I want to take this time to offer a home energy survey to show you how solar water heating can save you money!

kishoph
04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
There is only 1 top 10 QB prospect in this draft and that's Geno. IMO if he is there at 8 he will be a Bill. If he isn't maybe for once Nix will be listening when the phone rings. I sure hope so.

JMO, but there's three maybe four other QB's I would take before Smith. Also I can't see Marrone giving a ringing endorsement to a QB that he has beaten the 3 times he's faced him.

Bill Cody
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
JMO, but there's three maybe four other QB's I would take before Smith. Also I can't see Marrone giving a ringing endorsement to a QB that he has beaten the 3 times he's faced him.

Geno is a bit of a project but he has a pro arm and good mobility. His upside IMO is far greater than Nassib or Barkley. He has excellent production also. We will see what the Bills do if Geno is still there at 8 but I am quite confident if he is there he will be a Bill. Good chance the Raiders or Browns will take him so it will be moot.

kishoph
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Geno is a bit of a project but he has a pro arm and good mobility. His upside IMO is far greater than Nassib or Barkley. He has excellent production also. We will see what the Bills do if Geno is still there at 8 but I am quite confident if he is there he will be a Bill. Good chance the Raiders or Browns will take him so it will be moot.

I agree that his upside may be better, but that's if he pans out, I feel the same way about Manuel, but I don't think that the Bills are willing to take that chance right now. I think they are looking for more of a quick fix. I wouldn't be unhappy with either Smith or Manuel, there's just other QB's that I would take before them.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
I dont like Geno at all. I think hes going to be a huge bust.

trapezeus
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
smith never won big games. he rocketed up the charts because of one game. that has high rate of bust all over it. JP part 2.

Scumbag College
04-25-2013, 02:13 PM
ESPN's McShay just said that the 8 pick is going to be ideal for STL to move up to to get a playmaker for Bradford. Also, he stated that SF loves Austin. I don't have a link.

It would take probably SFs first three picks to move up to Buffalo's pick at 8 and maybe even a 2014 pick. Probably STL would need their first 1st round pick and their 2nd.

coastal
04-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Buddy Nix is so gay.

Bill Cody
04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
smith never won big games. he rocketed up the charts because of one game. that has high rate of bust all over it. JP part 2.

over 8 YPA, 71% completion rate, 42 TD's to 6 picks is a bust? Ok sign me up for bust. You could have rammed a pencil in JP's ear and it would have gone straight to the other side without touching anything. And he was an arrogant ***** that his teammates would not run through a wall of feathers for. There are no red flags like that for Smith. Is he a sure thing? No. But he's the best prospect in this draft.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Is that a joke? The dude threw 6 touchdowns in a BCS bowl, he's tied for the all-time record

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Orange_Bowl

sudzy
04-25-2013, 03:00 PM

Meathead
04-25-2013, 03:17 PM

http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/e102.jpg

THRILLHO
04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
"We're getting more calls than usual. And it's really interrupting nap time."

PTI
04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
ESPN's McShay just said that the 8 pick is going to be ideal for STL to move up to to get a playmaker for Bradford. Also, he stated that SF loves Austin. I don't have a link.

It would take probably SFs first three picks to move up to Buffalo's pick at 8 and maybe even a 2014 pick. Probably STL would need their first 1st round pick and their 2nd.

Hoe many WRs do the 49ers need? Just got Boldin. Unless they just want to replace Kyle Williams and Ginn with Austin and he is mostly a return guy.

swiper
04-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Buddy Nix is so gay.

It's ghey. Get with it man. Don't make me pwn U.

coastal
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
It's ghey. Get with it man. Don't make me pwn U.
No swiping dip****.

EDS
04-25-2013, 04:19 PM
“There have been more phone calls than usual,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com “I think part of that is the rookie wage scale. Teams are not afraid to move up because the money is not so great. The other thing is this draft class whether it’s good or bad is there are differences in opinion and a mixed view. Finding the right value for the right pick makes people try to move in the draft.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nix-Were-getting-more-phone-calls-than-usual/da20fab7-36db-4ca8-a77f-de0e123ef7ba

Let's just hope these are real calls and not more pranksters!

Buddo
04-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Let's just hope these are real calls and not more pranksters!

Someone on bbmb is saying that they have had 3 calls already, and he is saying they are from Atlanta, St.Louis and Houston. The last two would be for Austin, in all likelihood. The Falcons could be for Mingo or a DT perhaps.