PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grade for Bills D plus according to SI

mixxum
04-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Guess we are screwed and the season is over.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/25/ej-manuel-selected-no-16-by-buffalo-bills/

:cry:

gonzo1105
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
If the Bills had taken any QB outside of Geno Smith at 16, their draft grade was gonna be bad. You really didn't expect anyone to be like A + did you?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
We could have picked The Lord God Almighty Himself and the national media would have panned the pick

Mike
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I know I know, we criticize other teams picks on this board but god forbid some one grades our draft and we dont like it.... That the whole 'wait 3 years' argument starts, and if the player sucks in 3 years, the excuse of hindsight being 20/20 gets applied....

So for these picks.. considering hindsight and what we know now, the Bills deserve the D- score

bills4ver
04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
I love the trade back, however I live in Florida and don't love the EJ Manual pick. Yes he has tons of upside but Geno Smith and Barkley both have a better track record and better chance of success.

I wanted Barkley, I just think they could have taken Austin at 8 and EJ would have dropped to the 2nd round.

jimbohastle51
04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
At the end of the day I will look at it like this.... If Manuel plays better than Austin then it was a good pick. At the end of the day the bills traded Austin for Manuel. If Austin goes to the pro bowl and Manuel doesn't pan out then this is one of the worst moves in bills history.

WagonCircler
04-25-2013, 11:08 PM
The more picks go by that aren't QBs, the worse this pick looks. Right now it certainly looks like they could have drafted EJM in the second, and at the very least gotten one of the other top 5, or even top 2 or 3 QBs.

JediMindPowers
04-25-2013, 11:19 PM
I like EJ but not at where they took him. However I dont think EJ would have been there in the 2nd assuming the Bills stayed put. But yea, we could have used our 8th pick on a better player. I hope we get Darick Rodgers or Justin hunter on friday.

WagonCircler
04-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Bill Polian just DESTROYED the Bills' pick on Sportscenter. Both called it the worst pick of the first round.

Bill Polian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Buddy Nix.

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 12:20 AM
At the end of the day the bills traded Austin for Manuel.

Wrong.

The Bills traded Austin for Manuel, a 2nd round pick and a 7th round pick. Using your theory, you should be comparing Austin to all three players that the Bills get with those picks.

-Bill

cookie G
04-26-2013, 12:33 AM
The grade is incomplete. I'd like to see who they get in the 2nd.

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 12:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4CFjrjBxc

jamesiscool
04-26-2013, 01:12 AM
This pick will forever go down as Manuel vs. Austin. EJ Manuel may have just got drafted into the hardest job in the NFL, being the first round QB taken by the Buffalo Bills, the expectations for him are already set VERY high just because of where he landed and long-term what is expected of him.

Do we have the luxury of sitting back and letting him develop into the signal caller that us as Bills fans have been waiting for since Kelly retired? I honestly believe no, we do not. We need an NFL ready QB that can step in on day one and win football games, because at the end of the day that is all that it's about, winning football games.

Good luck to you EJ, I hope that you can take us where no NFL QB has taken us since the likes of Doug Flutie, to the NFL playoffs.

Go Bills.

jimbohastle51
04-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Wrong.

The Bills traded Austin for Manuel, a 2nd round pick and a 7th round pick. Using your theory, you should be comparing Austin to all three players that the Bills get with those picks.

-Bill

I am comparing the player the rams offered the trade to draft to the player that buffalo moved down to feel more comfortable taking. The second and seventh are nice pics but this trade was about the bills moving to a lower point in the draft to justify filling their biggest need and the rams moving up to draft the playmaker they coveted. Look at this how you would like but I see it for the two major prices that caused the trade to happen.

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
I am comparing the player the rams offered the trade to draft to the player that buffalo moved down to feel more comfortable taking. The second and seventh are nice pics but this trade was about the bills moving to a lower point in the draft to justify filling their biggest need and the rams moving up to draft the playmaker they coveted. Look at this how you would like but I see it for the two major prices that caused the trade to happen.

So, a second round pick (46th overall) isn't worth anything? What if they get a starting WR with that pick? Or a starting LB?

You're acting like the Bills traded the 8 pick for the 16, straight up. For all we know, the Bills could have stayed at 8 and still taken Manuel there. Instead, they got the guy the obviously wanted and added a second rounder and a seventh rounder... The seventh rounder, by the way, is right around the same spot the Bills gave up their pick to Seattle for Tavaris Jackson.

Yes, Austin was the key to the deal for the Rams, but the Bills got who they believe is their franchise QB, an extra second rounder and an extra seventh rounder out of the deal. Without the Rams giving up those two additional picks, the trade doesn't happen.

-Bill

swiper
04-26-2013, 04:39 AM
So, a second round pick (46th overall) isn't worth anything? What if they get a starting WR with that pick? Or a starting LB?

You're acting like the Bills traded the 8 pick for the 16, straight up. For all we know, the Bills could have stayed at 8 and still taken Manuel there. Instead, they got the guy the obviously wanted and added a second rounder and a seventh rounder... The seventh rounder, by the way, is right around the same spot the Bills gave up their pick to Seattle for Tavaris Jackson.

Yes, Austin was the key to the deal for the Rams, but the Bills got who they believe is their franchise QB, an extra second rounder and an extra seventh rounder out of the deal. Without the Rams giving up those two additional picks, the trade doesn't happen.

-Bill

Outside of perhaps Jarius Byrd, the Bills 2nd round picks are historically lame. The first round is when you get a blue chip player.
You don't take the 4th best QB in a 10-year bad draft. Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix, Whaley all should be fired.

Historian
04-26-2013, 04:41 AM
I'm ambivalent.

On one hand, this guy is a 6' 5" monster, with a cannon for an arm, which he is going to need to play here in November.

On the other hand, the Bills again act like they're smarter than everybody else, go off the board, and draft another "project".

If this were the 1990's Bills, they had a good enough team to get away with that. In 2013, not so much.

This front office does not have a lot of credibility over the last 15 years, which is why the hair o my neck stands up every time they defy conventional football wisdom.

And they wonder why they're the laughingstock of the league.

It just smacks of the accountants and marketing guys running the team, IMO.

On a positive note, I will take a guy who's a little raw, but hungry, every time.... over a guy who thinks the world owes him a 100 million dollar contract, simply because of the school he went to gave him more tv exposure.

I wish him luck. Seems very genuine, and the story about his Mom damn near broke my heart.

YardRat
04-26-2013, 05:11 AM
There's a poll on the front page of NFL.com to vote for the most surprising pick of the first round...the Bills and EJ are running away with it.

It's at 51% at this point, with Frederick at 24, Hayden and Long at 10, Pugh at 4.

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:26 AM
There's a poll on the front page of NFL.com to vote for the most surprising pick of the first round...the Bills and EJ are running away with it.

It's at 51% at this point, with Frederick at 24, Hayden and Long at 10, Pugh at 4.

Not really surprising.

TacklingDummy
04-26-2013, 05:29 AM
The more picks go by that aren't QBs, the worse this pick looks. Right now it certainly looks like they could have drafted EJM in the second, and at the very least gotten one of the other top 5, or even top 2 or 3 QBs.

I think that's why everyone grades this pick so poorly. Manuel would have most likely have been there at 41, if not Smith, Barkley, or Nassib would of. The Bills blew it again. No surprise.

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Do we have the luxury of sitting back and letting him develop into the signal caller that us as Bills fans have been waiting for since Kelly retired? I honestly believe no, we do not.

Sure we do.

Are we all dying of a terminal illness?

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Someone said to watch how the next pick does. Jarvis Jones to Pittsburgh. It's hard to fathom the Bills took manuel instead of Jones.

Kenny
04-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Someone said to watch how the next pick does. Jarvis Jones to Pittsburgh. It's hard to fathom the Bills took manuel instead of Jones.

That's what I would have done. I mean after our pick @ 16, unless another team traded up, there was no team left in the first round that wanted a QB. And if you were really worried about EJ not being there in the second, we could have just moved back late in the first with our 2 second rounders. Even if you dont like Jones, we could have had another player in the first and likely still have gotten EJ.

I've got no problem with EJ, I just hate where he was picked.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Not really surprising.

It should be though given that DJ Hayden almost died earlier this season on the practice field with Houston. I mean if going from almost dead to Top 15 NFL Draft pick isn't the most surprising thing then I don't know what is.

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
It should be though given that DJ Hayden almost died earlier this season on the practice field with Houston. I mean if going from almost dead to Top 15 NFL Draft pick isn't the most surprising thing then I don't know what is.

Heard some of theat story. That's one fortunate young man. Other than the fact he was picked by the Raiders. (wink)

feldspar
04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Bill Polian just DESTROYED the Bills' pick on Sportscenter. Both called it the worst pick of the first round.

Polian didn't say that...Todd McShay, who was sitting next to him, said that or something similar.

Polian just said "I was shocked by the pick, I must say." Believe me, I had ESPN on for hours while I did other things, and they just play the same things over again in a loop. I saw that segment probably 5 times. Polian didn't say that it was the worst pick of the first round. He didn't give his opinion on that.

I don't think Polian is any kind of QB guru, anyway.

better days
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM

WHY would the Bills move down if not for the 2nd rnd pick? STUPID to not factor that in.

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Outside of perhaps Jarius Byrd, the Bills 2nd round picks are historically lame. The first round is when you get a blue chip player.

So, Thurman Thomas was a "lame" second round pick, huh?

You don't take the 4th best QB in a 10-year bad draft. Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix, Whaley all should be fired.

I dunno if Manuel was the right pick or not and neither do you. At this stage, nobody does. I've been as critical of the Bills as anyone in recent years, so this isn't just another "homer" drinking kook-aid. If you look at any of my comments, nowhere will you see me say that I actually support the Bills drafting Manuel.

My major thing is, we now know that Manuel was the Bills' first choice, as they had the option of EVERY QB AVAILABLE. That means, no excuses. If Manuel bombs, you're 100% right... Everyone in the FO should be fired.

-Bill

feldspar
04-26-2013, 11:05 AM
That's what I would have done. I mean after our pick @ 16, unless another team traded up, there was no team left in the first round that wanted a QB. And if you were really worried about EJ not being there in the second, we could have just moved back late in the first with our 2 second rounders. Even if you dont like Jones, we could have had another player in the first and likely still have gotten EJ.

I've got no problem with EJ, I just hate where he was picked.

Do you really think that you can just snap your fingers to move down or up in the draft? It's not that easy. And what in the world would be the point of trading down in the first place if you are going to give up what you gained from that by trading up again?

Then there is the danger of some team trading up AHEAD of you to get your guy while you're trying to get him at his exact "value."

I'm not saying that I agree with the Manuel pick at all. I was blindsided by it in a big way. I'm just saying that, if that's the QB they wanted, then they had to make sure that they got him. There are any number of teams that might have taken him before us in the second round...

Personally, I hope Landry Jones falls to the 4th and we draft him there. That's my hope. I think that we should draft another QB this year at one point, and I like Landry Jones more than most people.

EDS
This pick will forever go down as Manuel vs. Austin. EJ Manuel may have just got drafted into the hardest job in the NFL, being the first round QB taken by the Buffalo Bills, the expectations for him are already set VERY high just because of where he landed and long-term what is expected of him.

Do we have the luxury of sitting back and letting him develop into the signal caller that us as Bills fans have been waiting for since Kelly retired? I honestly believe no, we do not. We need an NFL ready QB that can step in on day one and win football games, because at the end of the day that is all that it's about, winning football games.

Good luck to you EJ, I hope that you can take us where no NFL QB has taken us since the likes of Doug Flutie, to the NFL playoffs.

Go Bills.

No. This pick is no EJ versus Austin, it EJ verus every other QB in the draft. If Smith, Nassib, Barlkey, etc. out perform Manuel the Bills will be rightfully criticized.

In fact, if the Manuel pick flops it means the entire front office and coaching staff will lose their jobs (or at least they would on other teams).

sukie
ESPN has us with a F... A D is an improvement.

djjimkelly
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM

but im a ******* for thinking this was a waste of a first rounder

PromoTheRobot
04-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Based on what? The assumed pecking order before the draft? Well the experts had 3-4 QBs in Rd#1. How'd that work out?

PTR

ServoBillieves
04-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I know I know, we criticize other teams picks on this board but god forbid some one grades our draft and we dont like it.... That the whole 'wait 3 years' argument starts, and if the player sucks in 3 years, the excuse of hindsight being 20/20 gets applied....

So for these picks.. considering hindsight and what we know now, the Bills deserve the D- score

D+ you ****ing mouthbreather.

I want any of these writers/pros/experts to sit down and do the work that these scouts do, sit through all the calls and interviews the GM's have to go through, WHATEVER else, and grade the pick. Polian was a great GM wasn't he? He got 1 SB ring with all those "great" picks. There's more that goes in to it. The "Draft experts" are morons, they're rarely right unless it's a given, and even then they're just fill-ins for dead time on SC and NFLN. The writers feed off of each others thoughts like leeches, there is no such thing as true journalism anymore; they just want their payday and to "break the big story!"

Unless you've watched every snap the player played, sat through very interview, know his GPA, know his philosophy, his approach to the game, know AS MUCH as you possibly can about the player AND can see in to the future of the organization he was drafted in to and know he's a failure... You don't deserve to grade him or share an opinion.

ServoBillieves
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
but im a ******* for thinking this was a waste of a first rounder

Yes, you are.

mrbojanglezs
04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
CBS graded Russell Wilson pick a D last year

psubills62
04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
We could have picked The Lord God Almighty Himself and the national media would have panned the pick
Well, we'd be able to complete a lot of Hail Mary passes at least.

The Jokeman
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM

-Bill
And Kudos to the Rams for reacquiring some of the picks they nabbed when traded down with Atlanta and got Alec Ogletree at pick 30. Ultimately that shouldn't factor on the Bills grade but it's worth noting. Right now I give the Bills a grade A on the trade with the Rams. The drafting of EJ however to me is grade C. As he was the QB I ultimately wanted but thought it was because we were going to get him Round 2. I think some of the national media is looking at that the Bills passed on taking the best QB in the draft, Geno, and took a guy in the first that grades out as a 2nd Rounder and hence the F grade which a bit harsh. Though right now he does look like one of the draft's bigger reaches (outside of Frederick to Dallas) thus far but I always say the draft about getting the best collections of players. So as long as the Bills can getting a good WR and LB in Round 2 things can only but get better to me.

psubills62
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM

-Bill
I seem to remember the last time we had two 2nd round picks. IIRC, we got Byrd and Levitre. Pretty good haul.

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Go Bills.You start him next year aside from injury and you're making a mistake.

Too bad most fans want "IT" now, just like the rest of society. Instant gratification.

The kid needs to sit, work and study for a year. A lot of people crow about Kaepernick and what a great pick he was. He sat for a year.....so did Joe Montana.

PromoTheRobot
04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
The draft "experts" are the ones with the F grades today. They all were drooling over players that the NFL had no interest in.

PTR

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 11:36 AM
The drafting of EJ however to me is grade C. As he was the QB I ultimately wanted but thought it was because we were going to get him Round 2.

That's a double edged sword, though... If another team jumps back up into the first to take him after the Bills pick at 16, or if a team takes him before the Bills' pick in the Second, then the Bills have to settle for who's left.

That's what I like about this pick. Not necessarily the player that they got, but the fact that they got the first QB in the draft. That means, they got who they thought was THEIR GUY. That means, no more excuses, if it doesn't work out. They're in a position now where they can't say "well, we didn't get a chance to get Quarterback X, because he was off the board." They were ALL there. So, if it is the wrong decision, it's ALL ON THEM.

-Bill

Bill Cody
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM

You're not ordering sandwiches in the draft especially at QB. It's head and shoulders the most important position on the team. We paid a premium to draft the QB we wanted. Think of it this way- what's the spread on talent for QB's already in the league? It's enormous! Getting the right guy under center is one huge key to our long term success.

If Manuel turns out to be the player Nix and co thinks he is he will be worth the 16th pick all day every day. If he isn't it will be a bad pick even if we gambled and got him in the 2nd. People need to take a deep breath here. It was a very bold pick but it will be years before we know if Nix was right or not. I would have liked to get an extra third rounder to move down again but not to be redundant that's about 1% as important as to whether Manuel booms or busts. Do YOU know the answer to that right now? No? Didn't think so.

Bill Cody
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
They were ALL there. So, if it is the wrong decision, it's ALL ON THEM.

-Bill

True. But what if we find out in 3 years that they were ALL bums? Then it wouldn't be about blame it would be about a bad class. You really can't rule that possibility out either. Or if EJ is mediocre but the others were also mediocre. My mother used to say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
i think justa said this in another thread.

at least the excuses are gone on this pick. the bills took the QB they WANTED. They weren't forced to accept the 2nd or 3rd qb. they took their guy. and as a result, the FO shhould deal with the repurcussions both positive and negatively.

if he turns out to be losman, someone should get fired for it. and if the is a probowler who really helps the team, then they should be credited for going against the grain and seeing intangibles.

The Jokeman
04-26-2013, 12:03 PM
That's a double edged sword, though... If another team jumps back up into the first to take him after the Bills pick at 16, or if a team takes him before the Bills' pick in the Second, then the Bills have to settle for who's left.

That's what I like about this pick. Not necessarily the player that they got, but the fact that they got the first QB in the draft. That means, they got who they thought was THEIR GUY. That means, no more excuses, if it doesn't work out. They're in a position now where they can't say "well, we didn't get a chance to get Quarterback X, because he was off the board." They were ALL there. So, if it is the wrong decision, it's ALL ON THEM.

-Bill

Yet is it on them? As Nix is likely gone whether or not Manuel succeeds or not.

OLDSRIP
04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Maybe? But you can't be sure Philly or someone else wouldn't trade up to grab TJ. Then if they did you would have to take your 2 nd choice. Personally I would want to take my number 1 choice. So they got their guy and picked up another 2 nd rd. pick. It's a gamble they didn't want to take. Lets just hope it works out.

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Polian didn't say that...Todd McShay, who was sitting next to him, said that or something similar.

Polian just said "I was shocked by the pick, I must say." Believe me, I had ESPN on for hours while I did other things, and they just play the same things over again in a loop. I saw that segment probably 5 times. Polian didn't say that it was the worst pick of the first round. He didn't give his opinion on that.

I don't think Polian is any kind of QB guru, anyway.

what stronger record would you want him to have. 30 years as a GM and always had a franchise qb?

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree with the grade. Then again, if they gave us an A+ I would have agreed too :bigwave:

BTW, can anyone here tell EJ that he got an F and a D ? Maybe he'll get discouraged and quit his masters for the grades.

jills
04-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Can't blame them, we are the only team stupid enough to reach for a QB in the 1st round.

feldspar
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
It just smacks of the accountants and marketing guys running the team, IMO.

LOL, how in the world do you figure that? They did not make a popular pick, or so it seems. They picked the QB they wanted and think has the best long-term potential...at least that much is clear. They picked who they thought was the best QB in the draft. If they were only out to make money or sell tickets, they would have picked a different QB, judging by the reaction of a great deal of fans. Brandon did not make this pick.

They MADE SURE that they got him by picking him when they did. We'll NEVER know when he would have otherwise been picked, but we're not the only team that liked Manuel...be could very easily have been picked before us in round 2. You wait until the exact value is there for a QB, and you wind up not getting him.

I have no problem with the way the Bills went about it. They picked up 2nd and 7th rounders and ensured that they got the guy they wanted. Whether Manuel pans out is a different story, one that NOBODY knows yet.

BTW, accountants, marketing guys, lawyers, financial planners, and businessmen run the overwhelming majority of teams...something most complainers don't know.

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
True. But what if we find out in 3 years that they were ALL bums? Then it wouldn't be about blame it would be about a bad class. You really can't rule that possibility out either. Or if EJ is mediocre but the others were also mediocre. My mother used to say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

"The wrong decision" would indicate that there was one (or more) that turn out to be better than Manuel.

-Bill

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Yet is it on them? As Nix is likely gone whether or not Manuel succeeds or not.

Yes, it's all on them. Even if Nix is gone, chances are, Brandon, Whaley and Marrone will still be there in three years.

For example, if Nassib turns out to be a better QB than Manuel, a good chunk of that is on Marrone... Marrone should know Nassib better than pretty much anyone.

If another QB turns out to be better, than Brandon apparently left some "unturned stones." On top of that, Whaley was right there with Nix, "smelling their breath" and all that jazz.

This was a group decision. Nix leaving won't change that.

-Bill

imbondz
04-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Cool. So we're improving!

swiper
04-26-2013, 09:07 PM
So, Thurman Thomas was a "lame" second round pick, huh?

I was considering the past 13 non-playoff years. But you're certainly correct about Thurman. They were actually talking about him on the radio this morning when discussing how upset Geno Smith looked toward the end of last night. TT was class in that situation.

gonzo1105
04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
what stronger record would you want him to have. 30 years as a GM and always had a franchise qb?

Ok, dont get me wrong here. He has always had a franchise QB because of who was available and timing of getting the number 1 pick. I could have made the draft picks for Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. They were once a decade type QB prospects. He didn't draft Jim Kelly in 1983 and the one time he actually had to pick a QB that wasn't a once in a decade guy with Carolina he drafted Kerry Collins. Collins was a good long careered QB but he wasn't anywhere close to being a franchise guy.

WagonCircler
04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Based on what? The assumed pecking order before the draft? Well the experts had 3-4 QBs in Rd#1. How'd that work out?

PTR

Based on the fact that it's quite obvious that we could have drafted someone like Tavon or Tyler Eiffert or Chance and still drafted Manuel, maybe even in the 3rd. There have been 3 QBs drafted and we're now in the 4th round.

better days
04-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Ok, dont get me wrong here. He has always had a franchise QB because of who was available and timing of getting the number 1 pick. I could have made the draft picks for Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. They were once a decade type QB prospects. He didn't draft Jim Kelly in 1983 and the one time he actually had to pick a QB that wasn't a once in a decade guy with Carolina he drafted Kerry Collins. Collins was a good long careered QB but he wasn't anywhere close to being a franchise guy.

BS, Collins was a franchise QB. He just did not have a good enough team around him.

jwenger
04-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Pay absolutely no attention as to what SI thinks of us. Who cares??
They are very subjective and our draft is just that OUR DRAFT not theirs.
It was very NEED SPECIFIC and based on that criteria it is an A.
We filled needs i.e. QB WR LB WR mission accomplished MF's------

Mike
04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
That is a very baseless statement. If they made better picks they would have gotten a better score!

Mike
04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Pay absolutely no attention as to what SI thinks of us. Who cares??
It Matters only because it is giving you a 20/20 hindsight of the Picks. If this group of players suck in 3 years, there is no way you can argue hindsight is 20/20, no way! Basically, hindsight right now is that they will suck in 3yrs.

They are very subjective and our draft is just that OUR DRAFT not theirs.
What does this even mean? What are you saying, that SI does not like the Bills and is personally attacking them via a bad draft grade? Believe me SI wants nothing more than to be right about these grades and look like geniuses in 3 years...

It was very NEED SPECIFIC and based on that criteria it is an A.We filled needs i.e. QB WR LB WR mission accomplished MF's
Really, its a combo of needs, talent, draft position, opportunity cost, etc... Your arguing that we could have taken an QB with 8 overall and its an A simply because we selected a QB.
------

Novacane
04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Every teams draft grade should be I for incomplete.

Mike
04-27-2013, 07:40 PM
You're not ordering sandwiches in the draft especially at QB. It's head and shoulders the most important position on the team. We paid a premium to draft the QB we wanted. Think of it this way- what's the spread on talent for QB's already in the league? It's enormous! Getting the right guy under center is one huge key to our long term success.

If Manuel turns out to be the player Nix and co thinks he is he will be worth the 16th pick all day every day. If he isn't it will be a bad pick even if we gambled and got him in the 2nd. People need to take a deep breath here. It was a very bold pick but it will be years before we know if Nix was right or not. I would have liked to get an extra third rounder to move down again but not to be redundant that's about 1% as important as to whether Manuel booms or busts. Do YOU know the answer to that right now? No? Didn't think so.

Hindsight is 20/20 and right now hindsight is saying that is was a reach, a massive reach, and that we could have drafted a much better player in the first and still had EJ in the 2nd. Hindsight says it was a very poor utilization of draft picks, which means, this guy better pan out.

My only problem is that he is so raw... he is a project and as such does not deserve a 1st round pick...which should be reserved for a player than can help you right now. I would prefer Barkley in the 4th over EJ in the 1st.

Scumbag College
04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Wait...Sports Illustrated still exists?

Novacane
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
From the SI article: That it was Manuel and not Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib or even Matt Barkley makes this selection one of the legitimately stunning ones of the draft’s early process. Nassib looked like he might be the guy for Buffalo, having succeeded under new Bills head coach Doug Marrone at Syracuse.

SI was stunned we took him over two guys that ended up 4th round picks. Ought to show you not to give a crap about what SI thinks. They probably would have given us a B if we had taken Nassib or Barkley.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I give us a B- myself.

What I liked:
1) We traded down and got an extra pick while doing so. At the same time we denied a division foe a dangerous WR and were still able to draft the qb we wanted
2) Speaking of QB, by and large we took care of holes on our roster. Buddy and Co. drafted the qb they think will be the face of the franchise for years to come. We drafted two very good WRs, we got depth at TE, a kicker to replace or at least challenge Lindell, and also some help in the defensive backfield and hard hitting linebacker

What I did not like:

1) I have my doubts about EJ, but don't get me wrong I have serious doubts and concerns with all the qbs in this draft: EJ, Wilson, Nassib, Smith, and Barkley as I think this class is very weak. Its not so much that we drafted EJ that bothers me, its that we could have probably traded down to SFO or Minnesota got a couple extra picks and still been able to pick up EJ lower in the first.

2) We have gaping holes at G

The only thing I really did not like about this draft was that we did not draft anybody on the OL. While I do have concerns about EJ, I think he has the mental toughness and raw physical talents for the job and if he can be coached right he can be ready to go in December. I'm pissed off if he's starting week one this year, but I expect him to be in the starting line up week 1 2014. Because the OL is so important --second only to a good qb -- and because we neglected it this draft I have to lower what I feel was overall an A/A- draft to B-/C+. That being said, without anyone drafted having yet played a down its an I overall. I wish someone could hotlink this thread so we can come back in 3 years and give these picks a grade after we've seen what they look like.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 08:24 PM
What I liked:
1) We traded down and got an extra pick while doing so. At the same time we denied a division foe a dangerous WR and were still able to draft the qb we wanted
2) Speaking of QB, by and large we took care of holes on our roster. Buddy and Co. drafted the qb they think will be the face of the franchise for years to come. We drafted two very good WRs, we got depth at TE, a kicker to replace or at least challenge Lindell, and also some help in the defensive backfield and hard hitting linebacker

What I did not like:

1) I have my doubts about EJ, but don't get me wrong I have serious doubts and concerns with all the qbs in this draft: EJ, Wilson, Nassib, Smith, and Barkley as I think this class is very weak. Its not so much that we drafted EJ that bothers me, its that we could have probably traded down to SFO or Minnesota got a couple extra picks and still been able to pick up EJ lower in the first.

The only thing I really did not like about this draft was that we did not draft anybody on the OL. While I do have concerns about EJ, I think he has the mental toughness and raw physical talents for the job and if he can be coached right he can be ready to go in December. I'm pissed off if he's starting week one this year, but I expect him to be in the starting line up week 1 2014. Because the OL is so important --second only to a good qb -- and because we neglected it this draft I have to lower what I feel was overall an A/A- draft to B-/C+. That being said, without anyone drafted having yet played a down its an I overall. I wish someone could hotlink this thread so we can come back in 3 years and give these picks a grade after we've seen what they look like.

I've had my differences with your posts but this one is spot on. Agreed.

lmcshadow
04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
SI=SEARCHING IDIOTS

Bill Cody
04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 and right now hindsight is saying that is was a reach, a massive reach, and that we could have drafted a much better player in the first and still had EJ in the 2nd.
Speculation and most likely WRONG.

Hindsight says it was a very poor utilization of draft picks, which means, this guy better pan out.
if he succeeds no one is going to care. If he doesn't it's a disaster.

My only problem is that he is so raw... he is a project and as such does not deserve a 1st round pick...which should be reserved for a player than can help you right now. I would prefer Barkley in the 4th over EJ in the 1st.
that's why taking him in the 1st is an advantage. We get a 5 year contract so we can develop him. Can Matt Barkley win us a Super Bowl? If the answer is probably not why do you want him? The goal is to find a franchise QB.

Novacane
04-27-2013, 09:04 PM

The only thing I really did not like about this draft was that we did not draft anybody on the OL. .

I agree. Thought for sure they'd take a guard somewhere

imbondz
04-27-2013, 09:33 PM
that'll be next year when the QB selection is top notch and the OL players suck