PDA

View Full Version : Could the Bills have waited to take EJ ?

Skooby
04-25-2013, 11:52 PM
No QB's off the board & we drafted EJ? Could we have take a WR like Patterson & then taken EJ ?

Mr. Pink
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Too bad we didn't get 3 first rounders, eh?

Sorry had to. :rofl:

Mouldsie
04-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Yes.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Yep and should have IMO but they liked him and he's our guy so it is what it is.

cookie G
04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
We could have traded Byrd.

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Oh shut up.

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Picking up what the Bills Front Office feels is their Franchise QB at 16 and gaining two more picks was a great idea. If you think they could have gotten him in the second round, or (your) QB, that's do to 20-20 hindsight. They got a lot better value at 16 than at 8 and with adding two more picks including another second round only 5 picks after the 41st you should be happy I would think! Now they have a chance to pick up a good WR and good TE with these next two picks. Don' worry be happy!

Bert102176
04-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Yes he would of been there in round 2, we could of had Eifert which is gonna have a great carear at TE

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes.

Maybe or maybe not. That's hindsight only. If you were a soothsayer and had you shined up crystal ball maybe you would know for sure. Reality, not conjecture!

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
No QB's off the board & we drafted EJ? Could we have take a WR like Patterson & then taken EJ ?

Nobody knows the answer to that. Anyone who thinks that they do is wrong. Here's why:

Let's say the Bills pass on Manuel at 16 and take Patterson, as you suggest. Now, after the Bills' selection, there were 4 trades made. With Manuel still on the board, a team that wanted to snag him could have offered more to trade into any of those slots (or any slot, really).

In short, every pick that is made in the draft affects everything that happens afterward. There's no certain way to tell what the other 31 teams would have done had the Bills made a different selection.

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
04-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Not worth the chance if they think he's going to be their franchise guy for the next ten years. They picked up an extra second and I'm sure they're happy to get EJ at 16, just as I am.

kingJofNYC
04-26-2013, 12:43 AM
They were happy with scrubs like Aaron Williams, Troup, TJ Graham, Sheppard, and countless more. I'm glad they continue to be happy. Buddy having a smile on his face is all we need to turn this **** heap around.

Typ0
04-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Nix has yet to miss on a first rounder!

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2013, 01:47 AM
simply not worth the chance. and i think a team would have gotten him late 1st. jmo

he has all the tools below and above the neck, hes a leader, tough, winner, 2 and half year starter, great conf, etc...

what else do u want?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2013, 01:48 AM
They were happy with scrubs like Aaron Williams, Troup, TJ Graham, Sheppard, and countless more. I'm glad they continue to be happy. Buddy having a smile on his face is all we need to turn this **** heap around.

troup jury still out, injury
aaron could be excellent fs
tj- is fine, fitz blew balls
shepp- 2 down lb

its the qb man

Extremebillsfan247
04-26-2013, 02:08 AM

Probably, but that's in the eye of the beholder now. They tested fate and it paid off for them with more draft picks and still landed a QB they wanted. I know it may not have been the ideal choice by most draft guru, or sports analysts standards. But, when it finally came time for them to choose at 16, they acted with conviction, with no pressure, and virtually the choice of any QB in the draft. I think they played this first round very well. But that's my opinion.

Edit: Another note a lot of people forgot in this is how the Bills used the Rams to stop Tavon Austin from landing with the Jets. That was freakin beautiful. lol But, once again, my opinion.

jimbohastle51
04-26-2013, 02:49 AM
The bills could have taken the San Fran trade and moved from 16 to 31 and picked up another 2nd and a 5th or 6th round pick and still got Manuel. Everyone in the NFL thought they were targeting nassib so no one would have leapfrogged them.

Night Train
04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
Didn't you start one of your 7,000 threads saying if they like Nassib enough, just take him at 8 ? But now it's someone the sheep didn't follow in the media and there are questions ? Can't have it both ways.

SquishDaFish
04-26-2013, 03:44 AM
The bills could have taken the San Fran trade and moved from 16 to 31 and picked up another 2nd and a 5th or 6th round pick and still got Manuel. Everyone in the NFL thought they were targeting nassib so no one would have leapfrogged them.

You were in the draft room? You knew a SF trade was possible?? If this is the guy who was #1 for QBs on their board and who they think is the Franchise QB then I dont mind one bit them not taking the chance of missing out on him. They traded down and picked up picks which was a good trade btw and still got their guy. NOW if they picked him at #8 with Austin on the board different story. The other good thing is since we picked him in the 1st rd we get him for another year 5 year deal opposed to 4.

People are going to ***** just to *****

kishoph
04-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Nobody knows the answer to that. Anyone who thinks that they do is wrong. Here's why:

Let's say the Bills pass on Manuel at 16 and take Patterson, as you suggest. Now, after the Bills' selection, there were 4 trades made. With Manuel still on the board, a team that wanted to snag him could have offered more to trade into any of those slots (or any slot, really).

In short, every pick that is made in the draft affects everything that happens afterward. There's no certain way to tell what the other 31 teams would have done had the Bills made a different selection.

-Bill

Spot on. :boom:

If there was a guarantee, I would of liked to take Millner, but I am happy they got the QB they wanted (as long as it wasn't Geno) and didn't take the risk.

Meathead
04-26-2013, 04:44 AM
my only tiny criticism is that it appears the bills may have been able to trade the pick to atlanta, picking manual at 22 and getting another early pick. man how fantastic would that have been

however, i concur with bill that its entirely possible somebody would have traded up before then to take manual before the bills got another chance. with that reality in mind, i think the bills likely made the right move to not risk it

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:07 AM

You just witnessed him doing it.

TacklingDummy
04-26-2013, 05:37 AM

Jason Paul Pierre and AJ Green comes to mind.

RedEyE
04-26-2013, 05:47 AM
The Eagles were very high on Manuel. Chip Kelly tried to get Manuel to jump schools a few years ago. Obviously this is the QB the Bills targeted. I believe they made the right decision. I dont think he would have made it to Buffalo in round 2.

X-Era
04-26-2013, 05:51 AM
My thought as well. But I do think several other teams were very high on him and that he wouldn't have dropped.

Probably 50/50. I'm glad we didn't risk it and that we took our pick of the litter.

Whether he will end up being the best of the bunch is another question entirely.

Minotaur95
04-26-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know that he would have been there for us in the 2nd, but another trade down in the 1st would have been preferable, IMO. Of course, you need a trade partner to trade...