PDA

View Full Version : First Round Selection: EJ Manuel - Like it?

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Like it?

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Hey maybe the Bills take another QB with their next pick too!

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 05:36 AM
It is a swing for the fence.

I love it!!!

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:37 AM

I love it!!!

What makes you love it so much?

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 05:45 AM

Every pick is a swing for the fences, the idea of a "safe" pick is completely made up by the media and fans.

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
What makes you love it so much?

He is physically exactly what you want from a QB and a great leader.

He will take time, but we are not in any hurry.

- - - Updated - - -

Every pick is a swing for the fences, the idea of a "safe" pick is completely made up by the media and fans.

Oh come on. The Orange here would have considered Nassib much safer.

X-Era
04-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Every pick is a swing for the fences, the idea of a "safe" pick is completely made up by the media and fans.:clap:

Buddo
04-26-2013, 06:16 AM
I like it on the grounds that it was made after extensive research into the class - and it represents the guy with probably the most 'upside' of all the QBs in the class. With a few more cohones, they might have got another trade back, but at least they made the first one.
It also seems to me, to be a decent spot to take a guy who will need some time to develop. Top 10, and you expect your QB to start immediately, after 15, I'd say that if he does start, you've got it right, but you are also expecting to have to knock off some raw edges, and a year to be learning how to play in the NFL, isn't unreasonable.
I like that they didn't go 'safe' with the pick, and either Nassib or Barkley, to my mind, could have fit that bill, in respect of Marrone's offense.
Definitely a bit of a gamble, imho, but if they are right, then we will have a guy for years to come, as his physical attributes, are plain for all to see.
Also, if they are right, he's a guy who wouldn't be limited by any one type of offensive system, as he has the tools to play pretty much any of them, and I don't think that that is something that should be ignored, when the balancing is done.

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:25 AM
I like it. Don't know if it will pan out but I like that they are trying.

BillsU
04-26-2013, 06:30 AM
I like that it's their guy not a retread.

coastal
04-26-2013, 06:37 AM
We could have drafted another DB...

Night Train
04-26-2013, 06:41 AM
He has a skill set that fits what Marrone wants to do. Huge and fast. Hello read option. 1-2 reads and the ball is out or the QB is off running.

He stood out among this bunch and Chris Brown wasn't lying when saying the Bills were giving him a ton of attention at the Senior Bowl and seemed to favor him from there on out. They knew he fit their idea of a progressive offense.

If they feel good about him, why is that hard to accept ? Don't tell me Barkley, Nassib or Smith are better because no one even looked at them last night.

sudzy
04-26-2013, 06:44 AM
I like the talent and leadership points with EJ. But, I hate the point that people say he has a problem reading defenses. In the AFC East with Belichick and Ryan that is the kiss of death. I give the pick a D. If they would have traded down again I would have given the pick a D+ because they could have got another player to help and EJ is going to need all the help he can get. I think Philly would have drafted him in the 2nd, but I would have taken the trade San Fran gave Dallas.

Historian
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
He has a skill set that fits what Marrone wants to do. Huge and fast. Hello read option. 1-2 reads and the ball is out or the QB is off running.

He stood out among this bunch and Chris Brown wasn't lying when saying the Bills were giving him a ton of attention at the Senior Bowl and seemed to favor him from there on out. They knew he fit their idea of a progressive offense.

A bunch of us had lunch with Eric Wood on Tuesday, and one thing he confirmed was that this offense will be on the move...pulling, etc, with a focus on speed.

He said the new coaches were really focusing on conditioning, certainly more than all of their predicessors.

gebobs
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
What did the Bills get from St. Louis?

Edit...nvm

In a bold trade, the Rams moved up from No. 16 to No. 8 overall to grab the former West Virginia wide receiver. The Rams sent the No. 16, No. 46, No. 78 and No. 222 pick to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for Austin and the Bills' third-round pick -- No. 71.

gebobs
04-26-2013, 06:56 AM
A bunch of us had lunch with Eric Wood on Tuesday
Nice. How did you get an invite to that table?

Jan Reimers
04-26-2013, 07:06 AM
I like the high risk/high reward play maker pick a helluva lot better than an offensive guard.

swiper
04-26-2013, 07:33 AM

If they feel good about him, why is that hard to accept ? Don't tell me Barkley, Nassib or Smith are better because no one even looked at them last night.

I posted in another thread comments that Nix made about this pick and he specifically said he did not think the league was going to go read option like everyone thinks. He felt Manuel could be a pocket passer.

swiper
04-26-2013, 09:49 AM
I like the high risk/high reward play maker pick a helluva lot better than an offensive guard.

That's one way to look at it.

Night Train
04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I posted in another thread comments that Nix made about this pick and he specifically said he did not think the league was going to go read option like everyone thinks. He felt Manuel could be a pocket passer.

Good for him but Marrone/Hackett are reportedly calling an Offense which is the polar opposite of that thinking. Once the pads are on, they run the Offense.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh come on. The Orange here would have considered Nassib much safer.

And they would be incorrect to assume that. Nassib's familiarity for Marrone's system is helpful but he still has to adjust to NFL speed, defensive complexity, and coverage.

SCBILLFAN1
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I can't wait to see him run an option with CJ outside. Not a big fan of the pick. I heard some things about reading defenses but that doesn't concern me. He had a 68% completion rate against decent D's. He can run like a deer and throw well on the run. I don't see him sitting in the pocket and picking D's apart.
Overall the new coach/mgmnt staff have put their careers on the line for this kid. I hope it works out.

swiper
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Good for him but Marrone/Hackett are reportedly calling an Offense which is the polar opposite of that thinking. Once the pads are on, they run the Offense.

Is Brad Smith still on the roster?

Mski
04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
i like it because they had their choice of any QB in the draft, and he's the one they chose, this isnt a JP Losman "best of the rest" scenerio.

i dont like it because i dont think he was the guy they should have targeted, but thats why they make the big bucks and im sitting on an internet message board istead of a war room

Mr. Pink
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
This is the first first round pick I've liked by the Bills in years.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2013, 04:30 PM
A bunch of us had lunch with Eric Wood on Tuesday, and one thing he confirmed was that this offense will be on the move...pulling, etc, with a focus on speed.

He said the new coaches were really focusing on conditioning, certainly more than all of their predicessors.

What is lunch with an NFL lineman like? Does everyone just sit around the table while he eats all your food?

swiper
04-27-2013, 06:16 AM
i like it because they had their choice of any QB in the draft, and he's the one they chose, this isnt a JP Losman "best of the rest" scenerio.

i dont like it because i dont think he was the guy they should have targeted, but thats why they make the big bucks and im sitting on an internet message board istead of a war room

What makes you think they are competent to a good choice?

Buddo
04-27-2013, 06:41 AM
What makes you think they are competent to a good choice?

What says that they aren't?

I'm not so sure that their problem previously with not taking a QB, wasn't in identifying them, more in respect of not taking them when they had their earliest opportunity, thinking that they would be around in a later round - when they weren't, regulalry.