PDA

View Full Version : Geno not showing up for Day2

Kenny
04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Maybe the harsh critisms on Geno were true?
Didnt get picked in the first round, now he's not showing up. Look's like Cam Newton pouting when things arent going his way.

Regardless of what you think about the EJ pick, Im glad we didnt go Geno.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/geno-smith-says-he-wont-be-back-on-friday/

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Yup you are right -- for some reason he looks just like Cam.

swiper
04-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah. They kept showing him pouting last night. Not carrying hilself too well. That can't be helping his draft status.

Historian
04-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Be a man, show up, and hold your head up high.

"Let your actions speak so loudly they can't hear what you're saying." -Marv Levy

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 05:40 AM
I can't imagine how tough it must be for him to sit there and watch as the only other QB there goes off the board and he's been (and still is imo) the #1 QB in this draft. Don't blame him one bit for heading on home.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 05:41 AM
Be a man, show up, and hold your head up high.

"Let your actions speak so loudly they can't hear what you're saying." -Marv Levy

How is going home to surround yourself with friends and family not being a man exactly?

Historian
04-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Swallow your pride.

Show the country what you are made of.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Swallow your pride.

Show the country what you are made of.

So we can all be self-righteous jackasses and judge a kid whose literally watching millions slip away from him? How about we act like adults and understand the situation and how much this is probably hurting him? That would be acting like a man imo.

stuckincincy
04-26-2013, 05:47 AM
I can't imagine how tough it must be for him to sit there and watch as the only other QB there goes off the board and he's been (and still is imo) the #1 QB in this draft. Don't blame him one bit for heading on home.

Nor do I. I question attending such a cheesy presentation in the first place.

Historian
04-26-2013, 06:06 AM
So we can all be self-righteous jackasses and judge a kid whose literally watching millions slip away from him? How about we act like adults and understand the situation and how much this is probably hurting him? That would be acting like a man imo.

You want to lead a football team?

Start today.

If this is the way the kid handles adversity, I'm glad the Bills passed on him.

BillsU
04-26-2013, 06:09 AM
He is their as a representative of the NFL as well so he should stick it out IMO.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 06:10 AM
You want to lead a football team?

Start today.

If this is the way the kid handles adversity, I'm glad the Bills passed on him.

He brought his teammate who wasn't even invited to the draft with him to NYC so he could be there for himself and Tavon Austin. You're characterizing Geno leaving as lacking leadership is horribly misplaced and completely wrong. Why you feel like a kid should have to suffer on National TV for your entertainment is just odd.

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:14 AM
I don't blame him for wanting to go home. That had to be really tough last night. Agree with Historian though. If this is how he handles adversity I'm glad we passed. No matter how tough it is show back up today with your head up and see it through.

Kenny
04-26-2013, 06:16 AM

Come on now... he's still going to make millions over his career. And I know he's only a young man, but I'd hope he'd realize that he's still going to get paid a lot money to play a game.

This has nothing to do with enjoying him suffer, but a deeper look at how he handles adversity. What happens when things arent going his way in a position that's arguably the toughest in any sport?

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
I thought Suzy Kolber was going to cry for him last night.

BillsU
04-26-2013, 06:17 AM
I thought Suzy Kolber was going to cry for him last night. Well Namath was on the prowl again last night...

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:19 AM
He brought his teammate who wasn't even invited to the draft with him to NYC so he could be there for himself and Tavon Austin. You're characterizing Geno leaving as lacking leadership is horribly misplaced and completely wrong. Why you feel like a kid should have to suffer on National TV for your entertainment is just odd.

That was painful to watch last night. It was definitely not entertaining.

coastal
04-26-2013, 06:20 AM
I thought Suzy Kolber was going to cry for him last night.
For reelz...

http://youtu.be/Gc65NC44dSk

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Come on now... he's still going to make millions over his career. And I know he's only a young man, but I'd hope he'd realize that he's still going to get paid a lot money to play a game.

This has nothing to do with enjoying him suffer, but a deeper look at how he handles adversity. What happens when things arent going his way in a position that's arguably the toughest in any sport?

Its not a game to these kids, this is their job. Its a game to me and you, but we aren't the ones getting our asses kicked 9 months out of the year or literally sacrificing years off our life for others entertainment and a large paycheck.

Historian
Why you feel like a kid should have to suffer on National TV for your entertainment is just odd.

My entertainment? You've got that wrong. I could give a **** what he does.

It's for the NFL execs.

Are they watching? You betcha.

And running home to Mama is not what they want to see in the player who is going to lead their football team.

DraftBoy
That was painful to watch last night. It was definitely not entertaining.

No its horrendous and everytime NFLN or ESPN started showing it I flipped to the other one. Mike Mayock was visibly upset about how Rich Eisen and others wouldn't let it go.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 06:22 AM
My entertainment? You've got that wrong. I could give a **** what he does.

It's for the NFL execs.

Are they watching? You betcha.

And running home to Mama is not what they want to see in the player who is going to lead their football team.

No they aren't. They aren't sitting in the draft room saying "Oh he's going home? That's another round!" Don't be ridiculous. They've done their work they aren't waiting to see how a kid deals with this of all things in terms of an evaluation.

Don't Panic
04-26-2013, 06:22 AM
You guys are brutal... sitting through an entire round when you've been told by everyone around you that you're gonna be a top 10 pick is absolute torture. I don't blame him for one minute for not going back there... and it doesn't make him any less of a man for not going.

clumping platelets
04-26-2013, 06:25 AM
1-800-cry-geno........best thing for him would be to show up and handle it like a mature individual. The draft is no guarantee............besides, he'll still make money in his first year of professional football than I have made in my 20+ year career in health care.........Cry Geno Cry........

Historian
04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Mommy...they didn't take me in the first round!

I'm taking my ball and going home!

BillsU
04-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Well he can pout more if he gets drafted by the Jags.

coastal
04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
I personally find the whole experience entertaining... Geno's included.

this is pure Idiocracy boys and girls.

- - - Updated - - -

Mommy...they didn't take me in the first round!

I'm taking my ball and going home!
And my Nassib thread was harsh why exactly?

mayotm
04-26-2013, 06:36 AM
How about being "all self righteous" lecturing others on a message board?

OpIv37
04-26-2013, 06:59 AM
He probably has to go see if the dealership will take back the loaded Mercedes he just bought now that his signing bonus won't be as big.

kingJofNYC
04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Cordy Glenn did the same **** last year.

RedEyE
04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
I don't blame him for heading home for day 2. If the hype was just that...hype, he might not get pulled in the 2nd either and that could be a bit embarrassing and rattle the ego. Better to be home with the family then. However, with that being said, I do not like pouters and and whiners in professional sports. Its fargging immature and speaks volumes of your character.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 07:05 AM
How about being "all self righteous" lecturing others on a message board?

For acting like children when attempting to question a 22 year olds kid? All day every day.

Historian
04-26-2013, 07:06 AM
I agree with DB on one thing though:

The networks need to stop focusing on the guys NOT getting drafted and focus on the guys who are.

They did the same thing with Thurman Thomas in 1988. He was at home, not on site, but ESPN had a camera in his house.

Same thing. After every third of fourth pick they would cut back to him sitting on his sofa, with a dejected look on his face.

There's no drama here, nothing compelling, and it shouldn't be done.

coastal
04-26-2013, 07:20 AM
So what if they focussed on Geno's face palm pouting. It was riveting theater.

no one ever said the NFL was easy.

in fact it's beyond cut throat.

dont like it... don't watch.

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 07:25 AM
I agree with DB on one thing though:

The networks need to stop focusing on the guys NOT getting drafted and focus on the guys who are.

They did the same thing with Thurman Thomas in 1988. He was at home, not on site, but ESPN had a camera in his house.

Same thing. After every third of fourth pick they would cut back to him sitting on his sofa, with a dejected look on his face.

There's no drama here, nothing compelling, and it shouldn't be done.Might have been the best thing for Thurman's career. He always said that motivated him to work harder and say to all the teams that passed on him "Stick it in your ear"

jamze132
04-26-2013, 07:28 AM

If you ask me, it looked like Smith and Austin got the NFL to pick up the tab on a "boys weekend", if you will. Smith's teammates being there says nothing about this leadership one way or the other.

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Its not a game to these kids, this is their job. Its a game to me and you, but we aren't the ones getting our asses kicked 9 months out of the year or literally sacrificing years off our life for others entertainment and a large paycheck.

Exactly, It is his job. And if he wants to get paid millions of dollars for playing a game, then he should put his big boy pants on and stop pouting. These guys make too much money for me to care about their feelings.

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 07:29 AM
for a qb, you have to face tough environments and still make the right calls. this is a way you show that when your crappy team is down 10 with 80 yards to go and 5 minutes to play, that you aren't already defeated when the home team crowd is booing you. You have the ability to say, "what's done is done, i need to score and then score again."

i think there is some correlation as to how he handles this draft adversity and how he'd handle adversity on the field. and in the games i watched him, when the going got tough, he didn't rise any higher.

cookie G
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Might have been the best thing for Thurman's career. He always said that motivated him to work harder and say to all the teams that passed on him "Stick it in your ear"

Aaron Rodgers too. He went through the same thing when he wasn't picked early. That's why he texted Geno last night, saying the same thing Tagliabue said to him "Good things come to those who wait".

Brady cried when he wasn't picked til the 6th. Hell, Brady still cries when remembering it.

Whether Geno is there tonight means diddly one way or another regarding "leadership".

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 08:51 AM
the other thing is that teams told him to his face he was going to be drafted and they passed on him. if he isn't there and seeing some of those guys, it's another way to just fall further. show up and some team will be more likely to take you.

bf1
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I get anxious waiting for my number to be called when I go to the DMV. I can't imagine what it's like for him. I don't think it's adversity as much as impatience/expectations.

Meathead
04-26-2013, 08:57 AM
heres the vehicle racing to pick geno up

http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//65/37/6537c2f8ea6886c190068bb4edc43a42.jpg

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 08:59 AM
If you ask me, it looked like Smith and Austin got the NFL to pick up the tab on a "boys weekend", if you will. Smith's teammates being there says nothing about this leadership one way or the other.

Smith and Bailey. Austin was invited to the NFL draft separately.

psubills62
04-26-2013, 09:03 AM
I think it's dumb that they expanded the list of prospects attending to kids who might/should go Day 2 to begin with.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I think it's dumb that they expanded the list of prospects attending to kids who might/should go Day 2 to begin with.

They like the theatre of the kid going across the stage to shake the commish hand. Personally I'd rather see more tape cut ups but that's me.

coastal
04-26-2013, 09:51 AM
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/327786550031171584

Jeff1220
04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I was watching NFLN coverage last night. At one point, when they cut to a shot of G. Smith, one of the guys on set (I think it was Irvin) said, "Well, he's still smiling." Rich Eisen quickly added, "I think he's using his smile as an umbrella." (or something similar) I loled.

Typ0
04-26-2013, 10:14 AM
He shouldn't get picked today either if you ask me. So basically he still have the opportunity but is going to have to work a little harder for a huge payday. Blah!