PDA

View Full Version : Will Manuel be opening game starter?

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Marone says it will be an open competition for the job. Can he beat out Kolb and Jackson. Is it a bad sign if he can't ?

SpikedLemonade
04-26-2013, 06:45 AM
NO.

Why so hurry?

Novacane
04-26-2013, 06:48 AM
NO.

Why so hurry?

I'm fine with him sitting. I think it would be good for him and expect it. I wasn't thinking he would start till I heard Marone say it will be an open competition.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
He doesn't have to unless he beats Kolb. See Alex Smith vs. Kaepernick. Chargers didn't start Rivers right away when Nix was there.

Patti120
If it's a true open competition and he legitimately beats them out then great. Otherwise, no need to rush him. Let him sit as a backup and develop until he's ready.

RedEyE
I don't think its necessary to push him into the role. That's one of the reasons they signed Kolb. The other reason being insurance if the QB they pulled from the draft was a bust.

I say unless he proves in camp that he is without a doubt 100% ready to run this team and has beaten Kolb in practice, then let him ride pine for at least 1/2-2/3 of the season or unless he proves otherwise.

sudzy
04-26-2013, 06:50 AM
No. But, he will have to learn in a hurry. The days of a coach having time to bring a guy along slow are way in the past.

jamze132
04-26-2013, 07:32 AM
I think Kolb will be penciled in as the starter going into camp. I don't see T Jackson lasting too long through camp either. Makes too much money to have him as the 3rd QB.

MidnightVoice
04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Don't let him start. Go back to old days a la Rogers at Green Bay

Extremebillsfan247
04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Marone says it will be an open competition for the job. Can he beat out Kolb and Jackson. Is it a bad sign if he can't ? It's doubtful that Manuel will be the starter on opening day. He is being thrown into a competition with 2 veteran QB's who are already showing a good level of comfort in coach Hackett's offensive system. If he does win the job, he will definitely have earned it. Kolb, and Jackson certainly wont make it easy on him. JMO

X-Era
04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
I think he can earn the job. I think he has a legit chance to be the starter right off the bat.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Why does this remind me of the Cam Newton draft? I think EJ will be a good player in time, but it would be wrong to throw him in there in week one of the coming season. Kolb is average and is in there to fill the gap and give time for EJ to get ready. My take is that EJ should be thrown in there as soon as the Bills are eliminated from post season competition so that he can get some battlefield testing and prepare him to take the reigns.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I think he can earn the job. I think he has a legit chance to be the starter right off the bat.

Considering everyone is kinda on a level playing field (no pun intended) with the new coaching staff, I guess I wouldnt be surprised if he was our starter. I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt start either though. Kinda depends on how they perform in OTAs, PS, etc

better days
04-26-2013, 02:50 PM
I posted in a different thread, I heard a Bills scout on the John Murphy Show describe Manuel as RAW with HIGH upside. I doubt he starts & if Kolb plays well & stays healthy, the Bills may have TWO GOOD QBs going into the next year.

BLeonard
04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I'll answer the second part first: No, it's not a bad sign if Manuel doesn't beat out Kolb or Jackson in his first Training Camp. Kolb and Jackson are NFL veterans, Manuel is not. Having him sit and learn isn't automatically a bad thing.

The main problem I see with Manuel being the Opening Day starter is the opponent: The New England Patriots. You could look at that one of two ways:

1: What better way for him to start than against the Division rival that the Bills are gonna have to eventually beat on a somewhat regular basis in order to be competitive in the division?

2: Why rush a Rookie, who the Bills can afford to let sit for a bit, learn the NFL game and possibly be better in the long run?

Personally, I don't think any one player is gonna make the difference between the Bills making or not making the playoffs in 2013, so I would probably lean towards #2 in that situation.

Besides, Kevin Kolb beat the Patriots in New England last year and many would argue that the Bills roster is better than the Cardinals roster was at the time.

-Bill

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I think Kolb will be penciled in as the starter going into camp. I don't see T Jackson lasting too long through camp either. Makes too much money to have him as the 3rd QB.

i like keeping tjax as insurance on early kolb injury...this in turn keeps ej on the bench.

i have no faith that kolb is making it past week4 without an injury.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Kolb will be the starter, Manuel will be the backup.

Kolb will get hurt and Manuel will play the rest of the year.