• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

A few comments on the Manuel pick

First, apparently the NFL GM's agreed with the general assessment by sports media, draftniks and fans that this is a weak QB class. Only one QB in the first round, and not until 16.

Second, I like the trade down. Nix picked up two extra picks in a draft where we started with just six, and still had his choice of QB's in the first round.
    Unfortunately, the Pats, Dolphins and Jets have a ton of picks and it will be difficult to close the talent gap with them having better opportunities to improve than we do, but that's out of Nix's control. He made a good move to attempt to mitigate the situation.

Third, while I admittedly don't know much about Manuel specifically, I'm skeptical of the pick. I didn't see one pre-draft mock or analysis that had him ahead of Geno Smith, and most had him behind Barkley and/or Nassib as well. The Bills really did put all their eggs in one basket, because if he fails, in 3 years we'll have a new coaching staff picking in the top 10 once again.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: A few comments on the Manuel pick

If he fails, it is most likely business as usual for us. If he succeeds, great.... But we were long overdue to take the risk
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
      If he fails, it is most likely business as usual for us. If he succeeds, great.... But we were long overdue to take the risk
      Well, our top receivers are Stevie and, uh, TJ Graham. We have no G's and our best TE may not be back from injury when the season starts. So we're not exactly putting him in a position to succeed.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• alnilla
        • Dec 2008

The Dolphins lost a couple picks. Pats do the same thing every year trade back they draft 10 players a year and only a couple turn out decent.

Comment

• DynaPaul
          • Sep 2003

You can whiff on any other position and still get some kind of use out of the guy but when you whiff on a QB it sets the franchise back for years. I'm not happy with this pick but I'm hoping that we didn't whiff again.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by alnilla View Post
            The Dolphins lost a couple picks. Pats do the same thing every year trade back they draft 10 players a year and only a couple turn out decent.
            A couple turn out decent? They've won the division- what, like 11 out of the last 12 years? I'd say that's more than "decent."
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

don't know how Ej will pan out. Everything will depend on how good Marrone and Hackett are at developing qb's. They can either be the next Harbaugh or Dick Jauron. The most important thing is that they got the qb they wanted and didn't have to settle.

This FO knew Nassib in and out and yet they took EJ. Says a lot.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

There are a lot of unknowns at this point. New coaches, new systems, new players.....it's every bit as exciting as it is nerve racking.

Based on the Bills history a true fan has to be skeptical to anything this front office does. But, I really think they did OK on this pick. For the record, I would have been fine with Geno Smith at the 16th overall as well, but I really think Manuel is going to be a better fit for this offense.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

i think EJ is vince young in year one. his athletcism will make it hard for defenses to get him until there is more tape on him. but once they form an answer, he is going to have to get better with his accuracy and he's going to have to be able to dissect a defense.

He's clearly not vince young in the brains department as he has a good GPA and is in the middle of his masters. So he comes of much less entitled.

but it will be up to the coaches to make him excellent. and if he doesn't get there, he may be very JP like.

I didn't want geno and nassib would be a better fit if you needed him day 1 to start. but if EJ is sitting the bench for the first 4 weeks to a year, he really could get good without taking all the knocks.

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

I think we could have gotten him in RD2.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                      i think EJ is vince young in year one. his athletcism will make it hard for defenses to get him

And at 6'5, 237 even if they get to him, he will be hard to take down.

The more I think about it, the more I like it....let Kolb be the tackling dummy for a year, until he learns the pro game.

Comment

• alnilla
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        A couple turn out decent? They've won the division- what, like 11 out of the last 12 years? I'd say that's more than "decent."
                        There was a topic about this I believe last year? Its not all about the draft its about who they pick up in free agency. Also there QB is one of the best in the league. Its not because they draft so awesome every year.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                          I think we could have gotten him in RD2.
                          But we took him in RD1. Deal with it.
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                            Well, our top receivers are Stevie and, uh, TJ Graham. We have no G's and our best TE may not be back from injury when the season starts. So we're not exactly putting him in a position to succeed.
                            I doubt EJ will start this season. He'd have to have a phenomenal training camp. If you or anyone is expecting grand results this yr, you will be disappointed. This is a move that they expect to pay dividends in the years to come. Not this yr. And I'm okay w/that. For our 2nd rd pick, we'll likely have our pick of WRs b'cse there will likely be a run on the QBs left early in the second rd - which is good for us. That leaves us a great WR pick and maybe even a gem @another position (CB?) that we can take. I don't think we'll be going LB in the 2nd. We could go Guard, but I'm thinking we'll do that w/the 3rd rd. My best guess? First 2nd rd pick will be WR Hunter. 6'4" and blazing 4.44 speed. He's coming off an injury, but again, we are planning long term here, so if he's only 80-90% early this yr of what he was looking like he could be, that's fine.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Manuel said the Bills were all over him at the Senior Bowl drills and he told his agent then he believed Buffalo would take him after talking with Marrone and Hackett. The Bills never had any intention of selecting the less athletic, smaller Barkley,Nassib and others and disguised it well.
                              This was their guy and 1st round means locking him up for 5 years, instead of 4. Plus they have 3 picks tonight. Mayock & Gruden love the guy and he does fit what the Bills want to run on Offense. Read option/pistol/k-gun..whatever.

They're ALL a gamble and it's up to the coaches to ready him and put him in the right system to succeed. Of all the QB's, he was the best fit for the Bills by a mile.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X