• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmoon6
    Legendary Zoner
    • Dec 2002

Criticism Of Black QBs

Since some people brought up racism in comparing Manuel to Russell,, I thought this article was interesting. It's too bad Warren Moon can't help but get on his soapbox every year. I would ask Moon what he thought about the only QB taken in the first round being black. This whole subject was true 20 years ago, but not today, you have plenty of black and mixed race QBs starting in the league. I'd also ask Moon why there are no white starting corners, but I know the answer. White boys aren't fast enough

Warren Moon: Black quarterbacks still victims of prejudice

Warren Moon believes criticism directed at NFL draft prospect Geno Smith is evidence that bias against black quarterbacks remains prevalent.

Moon, who was forced to play six years in the Canadian Football League before proving he could be a record-setting NFL passer and Hall of Famer told Jarrett Bell of USA Today Smith is another example of a black quarterback being victimized by his race.

“It sounds the same as two years ago,” Moon told USA Today. “It just shows that there are a lot of people in society who have the biases and stereotypes. And most of it is about your integrity or leadership or work ethic — all of these intangible things.”

A recent Pro Football Weekly scouting report on the draft’s top quarterback prospects downgraded Smith — widely predicted to be the first quarterback selected in Thursday’s first round — was critical in many areas, describing him as ”a cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks.”

“Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic.”

Smith, who passed for more than 8,500 yards and 73 touchdowns with just 13 interceptions in his last two seasons at West Virginia, defended himself against the report by saying the evaluation was “untrue in all things.”

Many NFL draft analysts came out to defend Smith’s talents and potential.

more...
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Criticism Of Black QBs

I don't completely agree with Moon on the Smith thing, but there are really no similarities between Russell and Manuel except for one thing.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

When are we going to get past this?

Smith was still regarded by most people as the best QB in the draft, and the only QB taken in round 1 is black. And the Redskins traded basically their next 3 drafts to move up and take RGIII last year.

I think the only people who still make a big deal about this are people with an agenda. The rest of us have reached a point where skin color is not a consideration when evaluating QB's.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I guess the Bills are not prejudiced.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

What does Moon think of Manuel? Where he was drafted? Has he thanked James Harris yet?

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Warren Moon should really shut the **** up and stop making a big deal out something that is nothing. The majority of NFL players are black for ****sake.

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

Moon is living in the land of 30 years ago. He should stop talking now before he looks like more of an idiot.

Comment

• pmoon6
                Legendary Zoner
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
                I guess the Bills are not prejudiced.
                Never were. They had the first real starting black QB in the early'70's with James Harris. I don't really count Marlin Briscoe in Denver because he only started when the first two QB's got injured. Denver had no choice and he was a receiver the rest of his career.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                  Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                  • Nov 2012

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

The racist thing has been seriously played out in the NFL. This is not 1979.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

but to be fair, moon did go through it in the 80's and 90's. its the cause he knows the best from his experience. and perhaps it's hard to let go when it's getting better.

for me, i didn't like geno cause of race. i just don't like that he was a nobody who had 1 legendary game and then struggled in the rest of the big games after.
                      and look at him after not getting taken in round 1. there is discussion he isn't even attending now. that says more about character and ability to handle adversity. That is what people will grade him on as they should

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                        but to be fair, moon did go through it in the 80's and 90's. its the cause he knows the best from his experience. and perhaps it's hard to let go when it's getting better.

for me, i didn't like geno cause of race. i just don't like that he was a nobody who had 1 legendary game and then struggled in the rest of the big games after.
                        and look at him after not getting taken in round 1. there is discussion he isn't even attending now. that says more about character and ability to handle adversity. That is what people will grade him on as they should
                        Well, Warren is complaining about the media unfairly criticizing Geno and in Moon's mind it's because he's black. The same media that licked his balls when he was inducted into the HOF. If there is anyone that is racist in this case, it's Moon himself. And until the word black is eliminated in referencing QBs, it will always be an issue to some.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

but that's my point. he's just so affected by it that that's where his mind goes first....that was the case for him at the start of his career. so if any adversity comes up, that's where he goes.

i doubt geno smith feels this is a racial thing. i think geno smith was partially played by the system though. i think the qb's were subpar, he was kind of the best, and teams all kind of touted him up to hide what their real decision was going to be. it happens to players of all races. teams know who they want and they try to hide their intentions.

so geno heard teams tell him they loved him, he passed it on in the media, the story grew, and teams really didn't have any intention of taking him.

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                            Retired (mostly)
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                            Since some people brought up racism in comparing Manuel to Russell,, I thought this article was interesting. It's too bad Warren Moon can't help but get on his soapbox every year. I would ask Moon what he thought about the only QB taken in the first round being black. This whole subject was true 20 years ago, but not today, you have plenty of black and mixed race QBs starting in the league. I'd also ask Moon why there are no white starting corners, but I know the answer. White boys aren't fast enough
                            There was an interesting study on attitudes about minorities recently. The non-minority group tends to look and see how far the minority has come. The minority group tends to look and see how far they have left to go. In the NFL, we still see a dearth of black coaches

But to play
                            that’s the thing
                            shut up and deal
                            ~ Jesse May

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Just as many white QBs, probably more, fail than African-American QBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X