PDA

View Full Version : Criticism Of Black QBs

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Since some people brought up racism in comparing Manuel to Russell,, I thought this article was interesting. It's too bad Warren Moon can't help but get on his soapbox every year. I would ask Moon what he thought about the only QB taken in the first round being black. This whole subject was true 20 years ago, but not today, you have plenty of black and mixed race QBs starting in the league. I'd also ask Moon why there are no white starting corners, but I know the answer. White boys aren't fast enough

Warren Moon: Black quarterbacks still victims of prejudice

Warren Moon believes criticism directed at NFL draft prospect Geno Smith is evidence that bias against black quarterbacks remains prevalent.

Moon, who was forced to play six years in the Canadian Football League before proving he could be a record-setting NFL passer and Hall of Famer told Jarrett Bell of USA Today Smith is another example of a black quarterback being victimized by his race.

“It sounds the same as two years ago,” Moon told USA Today. “It just shows that there are a lot of people in society who have the biases and stereotypes. And most of it is about your integrity or leadership or work ethic — all of these intangible things.”

A recent Pro Football Weekly scouting report on the draft’s top quarterback prospects downgraded Smith — widely predicted to be the first quarterback selected in Thursday’s first round — was critical in many areas, describing him as ”a cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks.”

“Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic.”

Smith, who passed for more than 8,500 yards and 73 touchdowns with just 13 interceptions in his last two seasons at West Virginia, defended himself against the report by saying the evaluation was “untrue in all things.”

Many NFL draft analysts came out to defend Smith’s talents and potential.

more...
http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/24/warren-moon-black-quarterback-prejudice/

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2013, 07:06 AM
I don't completely agree with Moon on the Smith thing, but there are really no similarities between Russell and Manuel except for one thing.

OpIv37
04-26-2013, 07:07 AM
When are we going to get past this?

Smith was still regarded by most people as the best QB in the draft, and the only QB taken in round 1 is black. And the Redskins traded basically their next 3 drafts to move up and take RGIII last year.

I think the only people who still make a big deal about this are people with an agenda. The rest of us have reached a point where skin color is not a consideration when evaluating QB's.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2013, 07:08 AM
I guess the Bills are not prejudiced.

Historian
04-26-2013, 07:10 AM
What does Moon think of Manuel? Where he was drafted? Has he thanked James Harris yet?

jamze132
04-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Warren Moon should really shut the **** up and stop making a big deal out something that is nothing. The majority of NFL players are black for ****sake.

DynaPaul
04-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Moon is living in the land of 30 years ago. He should stop talking now before he looks like more of an idiot.

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I guess the Bills are not prejudiced.Never were. They had the first real starting black QB in the early'70's with James Harris. I don't really count Marlin Briscoe in Denver because he only started when the first two QB's got injured. Denver had no choice and he was a receiver the rest of his career.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
04-26-2013, 07:20 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/224/274/JamesHarrisOpener1969w500_display_image.jpg?1273686250

RedEyE
04-26-2013, 07:23 AM
The racist thing has been seriously played out in the NFL. This is not 1979.

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 07:25 AM
but to be fair, moon did go through it in the 80's and 90's. its the cause he knows the best from his experience. and perhaps it's hard to let go when it's getting better.

for me, i didn't like geno cause of race. i just don't like that he was a nobody who had 1 legendary game and then struggled in the rest of the big games after.
and look at him after not getting taken in round 1. there is discussion he isn't even attending now. that says more about character and ability to handle adversity. That is what people will grade him on as they should

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 07:35 AM
but to be fair, moon did go through it in the 80's and 90's. its the cause he knows the best from his experience. and perhaps it's hard to let go when it's getting better.

for me, i didn't like geno cause of race. i just don't like that he was a nobody who had 1 legendary game and then struggled in the rest of the big games after.
and look at him after not getting taken in round 1. there is discussion he isn't even attending now. that says more about character and ability to handle adversity. That is what people will grade him on as they shouldWell, Warren is complaining about the media unfairly criticizing Geno and in Moon's mind it's because he's black. The same media that licked his balls when he was inducted into the HOF. If there is anyone that is racist in this case, it's Moon himself. And until the word black is eliminated in referencing QBs, it will always be an issue to some.

trapezeus
04-26-2013, 07:41 AM
but that's my point. he's just so affected by it that that's where his mind goes first....that was the case for him at the start of his career. so if any adversity comes up, that's where he goes.

i doubt geno smith feels this is a racial thing. i think geno smith was partially played by the system though. i think the qb's were subpar, he was kind of the best, and teams all kind of touted him up to hide what their real decision was going to be. it happens to players of all races. teams know who they want and they try to hide their intentions.

so geno heard teams tell him they loved him, he passed it on in the media, the story grew, and teams really didn't have any intention of taking him.

MidnightVoice
04-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Since some people brought up racism in comparing Manuel to Russell,, I thought this article was interesting. It's too bad Warren Moon can't help but get on his soapbox every year. I would ask Moon what he thought about the only QB taken in the first round being black. This whole subject was true 20 years ago, but not today, you have plenty of black and mixed race QBs starting in the league. I'd also ask Moon why there are no white starting corners, but I know the answer. White boys aren't fast enough

There was an interesting study on attitudes about minorities recently. The non-minority group tends to look and see how far the minority has come. The minority group tends to look and see how far they have left to go. In the NFL, we still see a dearth of black coaches

swiper
04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Just as many white QBs, probably more, fail than African-American QBs.

mjt328
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
RGIII got none of these criticisms. He was considered a fantastic prospect in every area, by virtually every draft expert on the planet. Almost everybody thought he was extremely intellegent, had an amazing work ethic and was a great leader.

Geno Smith isn't half the prospect RGIII was, and that's why he gets the criticism. I understand Warren Moon faced a lot of prejudice in his day, but he needs to take a step back and realize things may be different from when he played. These accusations are just speculation and honestly, he's doing more harm than good by saying stuff like this.

Albany,n.y.
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
1st off let me state my feelings towards Warren Moon - Ever since the time he beat up his wife, I have zero respect for him. Now, I'll talk about the other coward act he's pulled:

Warren Moon has been claiming he had to go to Canada because of prejudice. The fact is he signed with the CFL before the NFL draft because he was too much of a coward to try getting drafted in a middle round and competing. Now what really hurts his credibility when he makes this claim is that a top QB in the same draft class as his was a 1st round pick-Doug Williams. How can Moon claim he was exiled to Canada in a draft that he chose not to participate in and the top rated QB was taken at pick 17 of the 1st round-and he is black. In fact, Doug Williams was the only QB taken in the 1st round. Warren Moon chose not to be available before the NFL draft in a year when the top QB, taken in the 1st round was black. I wish someone in the media had the guts to call out Warren Moon as the coward that he is.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't know that I would call it racist, but I do think it's ridiculous that black QBs are only ever compared to other black QBs. Geno Smith compared to Akili Smith? That's utterly ridiculous, they play a completely different brand of football with a very different skillset.

Mouldsie
04-26-2013, 01:42 PM
If anything I think there is more "reverse racism" today. Black QB's are no longer avoided but often coveted at all levels.... White guys like moon said are never allowed to play a position like CB and I don't blame the NFL as much as college recruiting practices. Recently there was a 17 y/o white kid from my district who was 6' 2" ran a 4.4 (I can verify) and led the division in INT's.... got no scholarship offers. I went on rivals or some other recruiting site and he was not listed but I found a bunch of skinny 5' 9" black kids that ran 4.7s with 3-4 star grades. I think there's some errors there.

I experienced similar things when I would go to camps as a HS player.

I don't know that I would call it racist, but I do think it's ridiculous that black QBs are only ever compared to other black QBs. Geno Smith compared to Akili Smith? That's utterly ridiculous, they play a completely different brand of football with a very different skillset.
This part I agree with though. I compared EJ Manuel to Blaine Gabbert early on. Hopefully they follow different career paths.

Mike13
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM

There is always subtle things like analysts using special codewords for white or black players

I.E

A White WR is described as "gritty, tough, runs great routes" etc
And black QBs are almost always called "athletic" or "intelligent"(as if that needs to be pointed out)

Mouldsie
04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
There is always subtle things like analysts using special codewords for white or black players

I.E

And black QBs are almost always called "athletic" or "intelligent"(as if that needs to be pointed out)

How about Schobel always being described as a "high motor, relentless DE"

Actually he was one of the laziest SOB's on the team, he had elite quickness and COD skills. He even pointed those things out himself because he hated being described that way lol

Historian
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
I though "high motor" was a term that was a Bills copywrite...

ticatfan
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
1st off let me state my feelings towards Warren Moon - Ever since the time he beat up his wife, I have zero respect for him. Now, I'll talk about the other coward act he's pulled:

Warren Moon has been claiming he had to go to Canada because of prejudice. The fact is he signed with the CFL before the NFL draft because he was too much of a coward to try getting drafted in a middle round and competing. Now what really hurts his credibility when he makes this claim is that a top QB in the same draft class as his was a 1st round pick-Doug Williams. How can Moon claim he was exiled to Canada in a draft that he chose not to participate in and the top rated QB was taken at pick 17 of the 1st round-and he is black. In fact, Doug Williams was the only QB taken in the 1st round. Warren Moon chose not to be available before the NFL draft in a year when the top QB, taken in the 1st round was black. I wish someone in the media had the guts to call out Warren Moon as the coward that he is.Moon knew he was not going to be drafted by any team, I think they wanted him to change positions, but any way, you don't want them, the CFL will take them.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2013, 02:01 PM

I.E

Yeah it always made me laugh when people were talking about Geno like he was going to run the read option. He might be fast be he doesn't run unless he's chased.

The King
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Cunningham, Moon, McNair, McNabb, Vick, Newton, RGIII have all been successful, there's no prejudice, black QB's were taken as the top two QB's in the last two drafts.

Furthermore, why be prejudice against a black QB and not a black RB? Now let's move on... how about those white RB's!? What's with that!?

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I have a different opinion then almost every poster in this thread, but that's alright. We've come so far in a very short period of time, but we still have a very long way to go.

feldspar
04-26-2013, 02:29 PM
God damn white people...

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
God damn white people...

racist!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgi2lY62Hto

cookie G
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
He was responding to yet another hack piece on a black Q-back by Spiked's favorite analyst, Nolan Skinhead Narwocki.

That's why he said, "it sounds like 2 years ago".

He didn't say anything about discrimination, rampant or otherwise, inside the NFL. He said,

“It sounds the same as two years ago,” Moon told USA Today. “It just shows that there are a lot of people in society who have the biases and stereotypes. And most of it is about your integrity or leadership or work ethic — all of these intangible things.”

"a lot of people in society" translates to "I'm looking at you, Mr. Nawrocki". Not that there aren't a lot of people in society that retain biases, but he was referring to a specific piece written.

I agree with Trent Dilfer:

“The Pro Football Weekly report should be discarded,” Trent Dilfer told USA Today. “It’s almost laughable, the stuff he put in there.”

It was quite obvious he never talked to Smith's coaches, present and former, or teammates. They painted a completely different picture.

Crisis
04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Leave it to a message board full of white people to talk about the "lack" of prejudice going on.

mrbojanglezs
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
one thing I do agree with. Black qbs are always compared to other black qbs, hardly ever white ones. So that is boxing in a player based on what they look.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Forget Moon, I want to know what Doug Williams has to say. You know, Doug, the guy the reporters asked "what's it like to be a black qb?"

pmoon6
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Leave it to a message board full of white people to talk about the "lack" of prejudice going on.Why? Three quarters kiss ass anyway to show they are fair and "progressive".

Typ0
04-26-2013, 03:29 PM
He's not saying the league is bias though ... he's saying the media and culture is bias.

Fixxxer
04-26-2013, 03:37 PM

I.E

There isn't a player in the NFL more "high motor" than London Fletcher, yet that term is used only for white players.

Mouldsie
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Nolan Nawrocki is an *******. I think we can all agree on that.

ticatfan
04-27-2013, 12:54 PM
CFL’s Top African-American Quarterbacks

Over the years, many black quarterbacks have come and gone in the CFL. Their athleticism and style of play have forever changed the CFL game. Based on their passing yardage (PY), the top 10 black quarterbacks are as follows:

Damon Allen – 72,382 PY and 394 TDs

Tracey Ham – 40,534 PY and 284 TDs
Henry Burris – 37,464 PY and 237 TDs

Kevin Glenn – 28,481 PY and 160 TDs

Conredge Holloway – 25,193 PY and 155 TDs

Kerry Joseph – 24,835 PY and 130 TDs

Roy Dewalt – 24,347 PY and 132 TDs
Danny Barrett – 23,419 PY and 133 TDs

Khari Jones – 21, 383 PY and 145 TDs

Warren Moon – 21,228 PY and 144 TDs

It should be noted that Damon Allen is the “all-time” leader among quarterbacks in all of professional football, surpassing Warren Moon’s 70, 553 passing yardage which was achieved through playing in the CFL as well as the NFL.

The above group of quarterbacks made their presence known on the playing field. Some have guided the teams on which they played to Grey Cup Championships. Others, as individuals, have garnered numerous CFL awards.

Denied the opportunity to play quarterback in the NFL, African-American college quarterbacks looked to the CFL as a league where they could showcase their talents. In 1951, Bernie Custis was the first black quarterback in the CFL when he signed with the Hamilton Tiger Cats. In the 1960s, Sandy Stephens and Carroll Williams made their way to Canada and the CFL in order to play the position that was their specialty.

With NFL teams in the early 1970s still reluctant to give blacks an opportunity to play quarterback, Chuck Ealey moved north and signed with the Hamilton Tiger Cats in 1972. As a result of Ealey’s success in his first 2 years, other CFL teams were interested in quarterbacks who were athletic and creative. Black quarterbacks like Karl Douglas, Jimmy Jones, Conredge Holloway, Warren Moon and Roy Dewalt opted to sign with teams in the CFL rather than the NFL where they would be forced to play other positions. Other black quarterbacks soon followed and the trend has continued. In the words of Duane Watson, a writer for the CFL’s web site “…the Canadian Football League became an underground railroad of sorts for many African-American quarterbacks.”

http://www.africanamericannewsandcommentary.com/2011/04/cfl-haven-for-african-american.html

imbondz
04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Hey black QBs, win some SuperBowls!

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 01:45 PM

There are two VERY logical, non-sinister reasons for those comparisons.

1. Until very recently, there have been so few black Quarterbacks (Oh NOZE! Am I allowed to say those words? Or am I to pre-Google and find the most inoffensive, preordained PC term? Like maybe Signal Caller of of African Descent. Yes, that's it. We'll go with SCAD, to save wear on my keyboard). There have not been scads of SCADs, therefore, people instictively, reflexively question that oddity. Naturally, when wondering, the next step would be to compare a particualr SCAD to the precious few other SCADs. It is not sinister in motive, although screaming, whining ****** leftists who never think nor STFU would have you believe that it's exactly that--some plot by hood wearing lynch mobs conspiring behind their iMacs. This is commonly known as BULL****.

2. The overwhelming majority of SCADs have played a certain type of game. (WARNING: I am about to type something that will surely offend many of you limpwristed pantywaste leftist types) Players who play that type of game are known as RUNNING QUARTERBACKS, or R-SCADs, if you will. R-SCADs have normally had a certain shelf life. Because they run and are therefore subject ot collisions with LBADs. Giant, nasty LBADs.

Many, in fact, most SCADs, have relied on their running prowess (my apologies for the raw language), often at the expense of developing their pocket passing skills.

It is the concern for potential injuries and interceptions inherent in this type of QB, be he a SCAD, a SCASD (Signal Caller of Anglo Saxon Descent) or of any other race, that has given pause to General Managers and prompted reflection and specualtion among fans.

This assessment is bolstered by that fact that, when a SCAD displays prowess at running and as a pocket passer and reader of defenses, he is chosen in the first round, and by and large, becomes an immediate starter.

Warren Moon is a jackass, but I understand why he lives 30 years in the past. It's what has-beens do.

I would like to offer my most heartfelt, sincerest apology to any tenderhearted pinko *****es whom I may have offended with my blunt language.

Mouldsie
04-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Wagon, with all due respect, you sound insane.

jwenger
04-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Don't even go there. If the guy can play the position then he should play it.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Wagon, with all due respect, you sound insane.

That was my intent. Not that I have to exert myself.

imbondz
04-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Don't even go there. If the guy can play the position then he should play it.

i totally agree. I just can't stand when guys like Moon play the race card. Genos criticisms were fair and legit

OLDSRIP
04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
When are we going to get past this?

Smith was still regarded by most people as the best QB in the draft, and the only QB taken in round 1 is black. And the Redskins traded basically their next 3 drafts to move up and take RGIII last year.

I think the only people who still make a big deal about this are people with an agenda. The rest of us have reached a point where skin color is not a consideration when evaluating QB's.

And don't forget Cam Newton before RG3. Yes, racism still exists in places in society. But not so much in the NFL regarding QBs, IMO.

gr8slayer
04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Some pretty stupid ****.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 03:16 PM
On second thought, rcism against black QBs does still exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKTpj3QNR3U