Why it's OK to be happy with the Manuel Pick (Photo Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Why it's OK to be happy with the Manuel Pick (Photo Inside)

I'll first start off by saying EJ was the most intriguing QB in this draft and he's the guy I wanted to the Bills to go after (in the 2nd round).

1. He's a big quick QB.
    2. His mobility is going to make things tough on opposing defenses especially when they're running the hurry up.
    3. He's a high character guy, he can lead the locker room from day one. We need a guy on offense who can do that. CJ, and Stevie are not those guys.
    4. He's got a great arm, he can sling it deep and he can put touch on it, this is a total 180 from Fitz and Trent. He can also make quick decisions and get rid of the ball fast, huge plus for our screen game.
    5. The Bills liked him enough to ensure no other team got the chance to take him from underneath us.

It's a bold move any many will say this is another botched pick by the Bills and being the only team to take QB in round 1 you could say we reached. Now if EJ isn't the guy under center in Week 1, we can all throw rocks at Buddy Nix. I'm excited it's officially a new era.
    Attached Files
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Re: Why it's OK to be happy with the Manuel Pick (Photo Inside)

Originally posted by The King View Post
    Now if EJ isn't the guy under center in Week 1, we can all throw rocks at Buddy Nix. I'm excited it's officially a new era.
    One advantage of the situation is that he does not have to start in week one, or even year one!

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Comment

• MikeInRoch
      • Sep 2003

I agree with almost everything. I don't need him to be starting week 1 this year.
      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

LOOOOOOVE the pick! And LOVED how we were able to trade down to get him too!

The Jets did us a favor by posturing to like Austin. They wanted to smokescreen us into flustering and taking Austin in front of them, instead they flustered another team to trade up with us.

Thanks Rex!

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

He looks great in red white and blue!

Thanks King!

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Manuel said the Eagles LOVED him & he expected them to draft him. I think #16 is a great spot to take him, he would not have been there in the 2nd rnd.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

"It's a new era." Is it? Seems like Russ Brandon has sold us that bill of goods more than once. I'll believe it when I see results.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gebobs
                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                LOOOOOOVE the pick! And LOVED how we were able to trade down to get him too!

The Jets did us a favor by posturing to like Austin. They wanted to smokescreen us into flustering and taking Austin in front of them, instead they flustered another team to trade up with us.

Thanks Rex!
                The Bills didn't get enough in return IMHO. They basically got a mid-2nd round pick for the price of 8 spots in the first.
                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                  The Bills didn't get enough in return IMHO. They basically got a mid-2nd round pick for the price of 8 spots in the first.
                  I'm ok with that, we wanted to trade down anyway to take a QB. Had we stayed there at 8 to take him there would've been a riot. A free pick in the 2nd is perfect.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    "It's a new era." Is it? Seems like Russ Brandon has sold us that bill of goods more than once. I'll believe it when I see results.
                    It is fine to be skeptical Op. Would not expect anything else from you. At least we will no longer have to put up the Fitz & his PUTRID passes next season. Both Kolb & Manuel can fling the ball DOWNFIELD.
                    Last edited by better days; 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                      • Jul 2005

I'm ok with that, we wanted to trade down anyway to take a QB. Had we stayed there at 8 to take him there would've been a riot. A free pick in the 2nd is perfect.
                      There wasn't a QB in this draft without questions. EJ has perhaps more than Nassib or Geno, and that's why some are bashing the pick. He's less safe.

That said, he also seems to have more upside than any other QB in the draft. After 20 years without a QB that can win games on his own, I'm all for rolling the dice until we get one that can. I have zero interest in watching yet another QB with limited tools. EJ has everything he needs above and below the shoulders to be elite.

I'm putting the odds at about 40/60 that EJ is going to be THE guy for us, as 13 years of no playoffs have minimized my expectations of anything the Bills do, but the pick makes sense to me.
                      Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM.
                      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• gebobs
                        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                        • Sep 2003

Only if "perfect" is the least one could expect. So with Nix, yeah, perfect.
                        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

While I dont LOVE the pick, I see it as a swing-for-the-fences type pick, which I'm fine with. At least we didnt get Barkley!

Comment

• MTBillsFan
                            • May 2003

Kid is going to be a stud for a long time!
                            Send me some wings!

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

It all comes down to coaching for me (which I've said consistently, even well before the draft). Now more so with EJ Manuel, but also with any other player.

If we have the coaching that will utilize his talents, help develop him, and craft a good offense, then great. But IMO, that takes a good amount of coaching, which is risky to depend on, especially given Buffalo's history. However, I do support the idea of sitting a QB for a year to get him accustomed to the speed of the pros, which I think Buffalo can, should, and will do.

I'm also not a fan of potential and upside at QB. It seems rare to me that a QB actually does a lot of developing in the NFL and reaches that upside or potential.

At this point, he's the QB and I hope he turns into something great. For the rest of the draft, I wouldn't mind seeing offensive-heavy. Not quite a Colts draft (last year drafting zero defensive players), and given both our need and Nix's penchant for drafting CB's, I think we'll at least draft a LB and CB, but I'd like to see an OL, a WR, and a TE, if not multiple of those positions.

Finally, even if I don't like the specific prospect, I'm glad they made a bold move and went for a QB. It's something Buffalo has needed for a long while. They also were able to trade down instead of reaching, that part I love. This way, they can still get some other talented players and it's not like they sold out the rest of their roster just to get him. It's nice to have someone to get behind, though.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡