PDA

View Full Version : Why it's OK to be happy with the Manuel Pick (Photo Inside)

The King
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I'll first start off by saying EJ was the most intriguing QB in this draft and he's the guy I wanted to the Bills to go after (in the 2nd round).

1. He's a big quick QB.
2. His mobility is going to make things tough on opposing defenses especially when they're running the hurry up.
3. He's a high character guy, he can lead the locker room from day one. We need a guy on offense who can do that. CJ, and Stevie are not those guys.
4. He's got a great arm, he can sling it deep and he can put touch on it, this is a total 180 from Fitz and Trent. He can also make quick decisions and get rid of the ball fast, huge plus for our screen game.
5. The Bills liked him enough to ensure no other team got the chance to take him from underneath us.

It's a bold move any many will say this is another botched pick by the Bills and being the only team to take QB in round 1 you could say we reached. Now if EJ isn't the guy under center in Week 1, we can all throw rocks at Buddy Nix. I'm excited it's officially a new era.

MidnightVoice
04-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Now if EJ isn't the guy under center in Week 1, we can all throw rocks at Buddy Nix. I'm excited it's officially a new era.

One advantage of the situation is that he does not have to start in week one, or even year one!

MikeInRoch
04-26-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree with almost everything. I don't need him to be starting week 1 this year.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
LOOOOOOVE the pick! And LOVED how we were able to trade down to get him too!

The Jets did us a favor by posturing to like Austin. They wanted to smokescreen us into flustering and taking Austin in front of them, instead they flustered another team to trade up with us.

Thanks Rex!

Historian
04-26-2013, 08:08 AM
He looks great in red white and blue!

Thanks King!

better days
04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Manuel said the Eagles LOVED him & he expected them to draft him. I think #16 is a great spot to take him, he would not have been there in the 2nd rnd.

OpIv37
04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
"It's a new era." Is it? Seems like Russ Brandon has sold us that bill of goods more than once. I'll believe it when I see results.

gebobs
04-26-2013, 08:12 AM
LOOOOOOVE the pick! And LOVED how we were able to trade down to get him too!

The Jets did us a favor by posturing to like Austin. They wanted to smokescreen us into flustering and taking Austin in front of them, instead they flustered another team to trade up with us.

Thanks Rex!

The Bills didn't get enough in return IMHO. They basically got a mid-2nd round pick for the price of 8 spots in the first.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2013, 08:14 AM
The Bills didn't get enough in return IMHO. They basically got a mid-2nd round pick for the price of 8 spots in the first.
I'm ok with that, we wanted to trade down anyway to take a QB. Had we stayed there at 8 to take him there would've been a riot. A free pick in the 2nd is perfect.

better days
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
"It's a new era." Is it? Seems like Russ Brandon has sold us that bill of goods more than once. I'll believe it when I see results.

It is fine to be skeptical Op. Would not expect anything else from you. At least we will no longer have to put up the Fitz & his PUTRID passes next season. Both Kolb & Manuel can fling the ball DOWNFIELD.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm ok with that, we wanted to trade down anyway to take a QB. Had we stayed there at 8 to take him there would've been a riot. A free pick in the 2nd is perfect.

There wasn't a QB in this draft without questions. EJ has perhaps more than Nassib or Geno, and that's why some are bashing the pick. He's less safe.

That said, he also seems to have more upside than any other QB in the draft. After 20 years without a QB that can win games on his own, I'm all for rolling the dice until we get one that can. I have zero interest in watching yet another QB with limited tools. EJ has everything he needs above and below the shoulders to be elite.

I'm putting the odds at about 40/60 that EJ is going to be THE guy for us, as 13 years of no playoffs have minimized my expectations of anything the Bills do, but the pick makes sense to me.

gebobs
04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Only if "perfect" is the least one could expect. So with Nix, yeah, perfect.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
While I dont LOVE the pick, I see it as a swing-for-the-fences type pick, which I'm fine with. At least we didnt get Barkley!

MTBillsFan
04-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Kid is going to be a stud for a long time!

psubills62
04-26-2013, 08:59 AM
It all comes down to coaching for me (which I've said consistently, even well before the draft). Now more so with EJ Manuel, but also with any other player.

If we have the coaching that will utilize his talents, help develop him, and craft a good offense, then great. But IMO, that takes a good amount of coaching, which is risky to depend on, especially given Buffalo's history. However, I do support the idea of sitting a QB for a year to get him accustomed to the speed of the pros, which I think Buffalo can, should, and will do.

I'm also not a fan of potential and upside at QB. It seems rare to me that a QB actually does a lot of developing in the NFL and reaches that upside or potential.

At this point, he's the QB and I hope he turns into something great. For the rest of the draft, I wouldn't mind seeing offensive-heavy. Not quite a Colts draft (last year drafting zero defensive players), and given both our need and Nix's penchant for drafting CB's, I think we'll at least draft a LB and CB, but I'd like to see an OL, a WR, and a TE, if not multiple of those positions.

Finally, even if I don't like the specific prospect, I'm glad they made a bold move and went for a QB. It's something Buffalo has needed for a long while. They also were able to trade down instead of reaching, that part I love. This way, they can still get some other talented players and it's not like they sold out the rest of their roster just to get him. It's nice to have someone to get behind, though.

Meathead
04-26-2013, 09:04 AM
the best thing that can happen is that kolb lights it up and brings the bills a high pick next spring with ej not playing at all. not banking on it but it would be nice if for once it would work that way for this team

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I am glad they went with a QB finally, but I am still shocked that they took this kid over Geno.

superbills
04-26-2013, 09:29 AM
the best thing that can happen is that kolb lights it up and brings the bills a high pick next spring with ej not playing at all. not banking on it but it would be nice if for once it would work that way for this team

This seems counter-intuitive, but I think I know what you're getting at :up:

jwenger
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Philly wanted him to run their fast pace offense. Too bad Chip.

Michael82
04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm happy with the move, mainly because they traded down and did not take him at #8. If they stayed put and drafted him at 8, I would have been pissed and I'm sure many others would have too. Now we can get 3 starters today with our 3 picks and groom Manuel for taking over in 2014 or even 2015. I'm fine with starting Kolb this year.

The King
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
I honestly think Manuel will start. He doesn't have beat Kolb cleanly, he just has to be equal to him. If he's equal he's in there because he's the future of the team.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
04-26-2013, 01:22 PM
I heard this is the first time (53 seasons?) the Bills took a QB with their first pick. Truth?

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't get all this "EJ is smart, he's getting his Masters" ! Did he go to Harvard? Did he? Did he? Did he?

OpIv37
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I honestly think Manuel will start. He doesn't have beat Kolb cleanly, he just has to be equal to him. If he's equal he's in there because he's the future of the team.

I disagree. If he starts off as merely equal to Kolb, there's no point in putting him in there to get killed. He better be significantly better than Kolb in order for us to risk getting him shell-shocked in what's most likely a wasted season. If he's not, we're better off letting him learn from the sidelines and giving him clean-up duty- maybe give him a few starts at the end of the season after we're eliminated from the playoffs so there is less pressure.

There have been a few recent stories of QB's who were instantly successful, but that's still the exception. It's still better to try to bring a QB around slowly.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM

maybe he should take the snaps in the redzone. :scratch:

The King
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't get all this "EJ is smart, he's getting his Masters" ! Did he go to Harvard? Did he? Did he? Did he?
2-time Academic All American, but if you want smart draft Glennon, he's like Doogie Howser.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
2-time Academic All American, but if you want smart draft Glennon, he's like Doogie Howser.

still not Harvard. :mad:

Mr. Pink
04-26-2013, 02:32 PM
One advantage of the situation is that he does not have to start in week one, or even year one!

Yes he does.

Kolb is fragile and won't make it through the entire year.

EJ will start at least 8 games this year.

ublinkwescore
04-27-2013, 07:59 PM
The last time we took a florida qb, we got this guy named Jim Kelly - that worked out pretty well for us. maybe the front office has finally learned to stay the hell away from california qbs... they just dont work out for us - call me superstitious.

- - - Updated - - -

The last time we took a florida qb, we got this guy named Jim Kelly - that worked out pretty well for us. maybe the front office has finally learned to stay the hell away from california qbs... they just dont work out for us - call me superstitious.

TigerJ
04-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I definitely do not expect Manuel to be starting on day one of the season. The reason Buffalo signed Kevin Kolb is so they could draft a QB they thought could be great eventually, but who might not be right away.

psubills62
04-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I definitely do not expect Manuel to be starting on day one of the season. The reason Buffalo signed Kevin Kolb is so they could draft a QB they thought could be great eventually, but who might not be right away.
Yeah, I don't think Manuel will start either. Have a feeling they'll try and develop him like Harbaugh did with Kaepernick.

Goobylal
04-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Manuel has everything you look for in a QB from a physical (6'5" and 237#, 4.59 speed) and psychological (a leader, winner, and tough) standpoint, and he's intelligent (graduated midway through the 2011 academic year). The question is whether he's got the mental ability to play in the NFL. Fortunately for him, since it's a rebuilding year, he won't be relied on to start this year. And if he does, he'll be able to rely on Spiller and the best group of receivers he's ever had. And at worst, they can run the read-option with him.

Mike
04-28-2013, 06:51 AM
It is fine to be skeptical Op. Would not expect anything else from you. At least we will no longer have to put up the Fitz & his PUTRID passes next season. Both Kolb & Manuel can fling the ball DOWNFIELD.

its better to be skeptical than gullible

Goobylal
04-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I disagree. If he starts off as merely equal to Kolb, there's no point in putting him in there to get killed. He better be significantly better than Kolb in order for us to risk getting him shell-shocked in what's most likely a wasted season. If he's not, we're better off letting him learn from the sidelines and giving him clean-up duty- maybe give him a few starts at the end of the season after we're eliminated from the playoffs so there is less pressure.

There have been a few recent stories of QB's who were instantly successful, but that's still the exception. It's still better to try to bring a QB around slowly.
I disagree. If Manuel's equal with Kolb (or Jackson), you start him. Playing him early and often will get the future started faster. And the only thing the Bills lost on offense was Levitre, who by himself won't lead to the QB's getting killed. If anything, replacing him with someone who can run block better will lead to them running the ball more, which takes pressure off the QB.

better days
04-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I am glad they went with a QB finally, but I am still shocked that they took this kid over Geno.

You are shocked that the Bills took EJ over Geno who NEVER beat Marrones team EVER? I am just happy the Jets drafted Geno. Marrone & the Bills can keep beating up on him.

better days
04-28-2013, 11:13 PM

On the John Murphy show before the draft, the Bills scout who scouted Manuel, described EJ as RAW with a HIGH upside. I doubt he starts opening day & maybe not all season. He needs time to develop.

And before the draft, I posted that the signing of Kolb gave the Bills the flexability to sign a QB with high upside that didn't need to start right off the bat. DAMN, maybe I'm not as stupid as some people think.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2013, 12:11 AM
You are shocked that the Bills took EJ over Geno who NEVER beat Marrones team EVER? I am just happy the Jets drafted Geno. Marrone & the Bills can keep beating up on him.

The guy threw 7 TDs for every pick last year.

JoeMama
04-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Manuel said the Eagles LOVED him & he expected them to draft him. I think #16 is a great spot to take him, he would not have been there in the 2nd rnd.

The Eagles are a footnote, EJ. Start talking about the Bills.

You're a second rate college QB who was lucky to be drafted in the first round. Now act like it.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2013, 04:36 AM

The draft value chart says differently, that it was initially too much and thus the swap of 3rd rounders.

True value is where it's really at. Though we will never know the opportunity cost since we have no idea who the picks would have been had they stayed put, we can judge the value of the trade when Kiko Alonso and Chris Gragg succeed or fail.

JoeMama
04-29-2013, 04:40 AM
The draft value chart says differently, that it was initially too much and thus the swap of 3rd rounders.

True value is where it's really at. Though we will never know the opportunity cost since we have no idea who the picks would have been had they stayed put, we can judge the value of the trade when Kiko Alonso and Chris Gragg succeed or fail.

Weird year for quarterbacks.

If we didn't take a loser QB @ 16 somebody else would have. Can't fault the Bills for it.

Manuel's got some serious hype to live up to. No one with as pedestrian a collegiate career as him deserves to be drafted at 16. At least Gino Toretta was a winner.

Validate our pick, EJ...

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2013, 05:08 AM
I heard this is the first time (53 seasons?) the Bills took a QB with their first pick. Truth?

Yes. They picked one in the first round two times (Kelly, Losman) but both of those came after an earlier first round selection (Tony Hunter, Lee Evans).

X-Era
04-29-2013, 06:00 AM
I'm fine with the pick. I'm glad we moved down to do it.

I don't care if he starts day one. However, if it's a toss up by the end of training camp (he doesn't look clueless) I'd rather just start him. Kold is made of porcelain and I'd rather him get the rep's and be ready to play rather than getting thrown into the fire when Kolb gets injured.