PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line

Don't Panic
04-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I have made the argument that we could have waited until the 2nd and gotten Manuel. Even if we stayed put and took Austin, there's a better than even shot that Manuel would have been there at #41. The bottom line is, which would you rather have...

Tavon Austin

OR

Robert Woods and Kiko Alonso

When you judge Nix and Co. for the last 24 hours, judge it on your feelings about those options.

TacklingDummy
04-26-2013, 07:41 PM
C. Jones, Woods, Barkley (or Manuel for the Mancrushers)

Mike
04-26-2013, 07:57 PM
1. T. Eifert, 2. Woods, 2. A. Brown, 3. M. Barkley

Don't Panic
04-26-2013, 07:59 PM
1. T. Eifert, 2. Woods, 2. A. Brown, 3. M. Barkley

So worth the gamble of waiting til the 3rd to see if Barkley or Nassib would be there? Not so sure about that one...

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Barkley

everyones passing on Barkley. Even Glennon went ahead of him

BillsFever21
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
C. Jones, Woods, Barkley (or Manuel for the Mancrushers)

You still want Barkley in the 2nd round even though he's still sitting there in the 3rd now? I'll give you the Jarvis Jones pick and then a QB in the second but even Glennon went before Barkley.

Don't Panic
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
You still want Barkley in the 2nd round even though he's still sitting there in the 3rd now? I'll give you the Jarvis Jones pick and then a QB in the second but even Glennon went before Barkley.

Hind sight's 20/20... a lot of people in here would have been content with Barkley in the 2nd two days ago.

Mike
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
So worth the gamble of waiting til the 3rd to see if Barkley or Nassib would be there? Not so sure about that one...

Lol.... its a gamble when its in the 3rd round and its Surely not a gamble when they suck! What you have is one of the worst draft clases since 2007. Even if they waited until next year, it would not be a bad thing. Look at 2007 Draft, those prospects were better and none of them panned out. Not One!

In any case, you could have had EJ in the second round with the Bills second 2nd round pick. It was pretty obvious that none of the teams after 16 were going QB and in this class no one was going to trade up back into the first for a QB. This is why the Bills got a D- draft grade.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
You still want Barkley in the 2nd round even though he's still sitting there in the 3rd now? .

TD has a mancrush for Barkley. Only way to explain it.

Mike
04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Hind sight's 20/20... a lot of people in here would have been content with Barkley in the 2nd two days ago.

Exactly, hindsight is 20/20 and when using this 20/20 hindsight, the Bill's 1st round pick gets a D-. Hindsight told you that he had a 2nd-3rd round grade. Hindsight told you that none of the other teams were going to take him after 16 in the first round. Hindsight told you he would have been there in the 2nd.

Hindsight is giving the Bills that D- grade... and if sucks in 3 years... it was going against hindsight and 'they should have known better category' and if he is great in 3 years,,,, then all of these draft experts can be excused because hindsight is 20/20... how could they have known :)

Don't Panic
04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I hear ya Mike. Given the choice of the first two packages, which would you take?

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Well marquise Goodwin is the same size as Tavon and we got him in the 3rd. Does that count?

MikeInRoch
04-27-2013, 01:05 AM
NO ONE knows that EJ "would have been there in the 2nd". You simply don't. So stop pretending that you do.

SquishDaFish
04-27-2013, 06:29 AM
NO ONE knows that EJ "would have been there in the 2nd". You simply don't. So stop pretending that you do.

Thats my point also. Rumors were Philly was high on him big time along with the Jests. I would bet anything he wouldnt have lasted to the Bills 2nd rd pick. They wanted their guy and got him. Im happy that they traded down and still got him so we can have more picks. Now if they took him at #8 with Austin there then yes I would of been pissed. But NOONE knew Barkley and Nassib would have dropped so far but obviously there is a reason they have.

Don't Panic
04-27-2013, 06:39 AM
If EVERY team has waited until the 4th round for these guys, then none of them have faith that they can end up as starters in this league. At best, they are viewed as long shots... projects that can be a luxury for a team that already has a competent starter in place. Manuel and Geno were off the board by pick 40. Those are the only two guys who you can argue at this point might have been taken by another team. I think odds are Manuel is there for us at #41, but I can see someone snagging him at the top of round 2 as a possibility.

My point was, let's look at it as though he would have been there. What do you want with him? Austin? Alonso and Woods? I'll take the latter, which marginalizes where we took Manuel, since the package we got has a better chance of helping us overall IMO. That's why I can live with him at #16, even though it isn't optimal. Barring another trade down into the late 1st (best case scenario), we did about as good as one could hope.

X-Era
04-27-2013, 07:09 AM
I like what we did.

Tavon Austin could be a great player. But he wasn't a clear fit for what we were looking for. Instead we got the most solid WR in this draft IMO in Woods and a very good prospect at LB. Ohh and then we landed the mini speed demon in Marquise Goodwin.

I'm glad we moved down.

mjt328
04-27-2013, 07:10 AM
I've been very critical of Buddy Nix during this draft, and I'm iffy on the Manuel pick.

However, nobody knows if Manuel would have lasted until #41. He might have been the #1 QB on everyone's board for all we know. Most experts predicted he would go before we picked again in the 2nd. Nix was foolish the last few years, expecting a good QB to fall in his lap. This was him learning from his past mistakes. If he's the guy they wanted, I think they played their cards right.

The real question is whether Manuel was the right guy.

X-Era
04-27-2013, 07:13 AM
The real question is whether [Insert Name Here] was the right guy. Fixed it.

We would have that question regardless of who we picked.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Barkley (or Manuel for the Mancrushers)

Oh, the irony of this. You know so much by your redundant "we suck" posts but the team/scouts aren't picking the guys you insist are great.

Cue the Doobie Brothers " What a fool believes "

better days
04-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Lol.... its a gamble when its in the 3rd round and its Surely not a gamble when they suck! What you have is one of the worst draft clases since 2007. Even if they waited until next year, it would not be a bad thing. Look at 2007 Draft, those prospects were better and none of them panned out. Not One!

In any case, you could have had EJ in the second round with the Bills second 2nd round pick. It was pretty obvious that none of the teams after 16 were going QB and in this class no one was going to trade up back into the first for a QB. This is why the Bills got a D- draft grade.

Before the draft, Manuel said the Eagles were in love with him & he expected them to draft him. I have no doubt he would have been off the board before #41.

justasportsfan
04-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Chip Kelly recruited EJ to play for Oregon !!!!!!!!!!
Nuff said !!!