PDA

View Full Version : We've had only one safe pick (arguably)

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Woods .

The rest are "I am smarter than the rest of the NFL" picks.

With Nassib and Barkley dropping beyond the 3rd round, no one really knows if EJ would've been on Jets', Philly's or Tampa's radar.

Ballsy draft so far.

kingJofNYC
04-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Don't think that's the case with Kiko, he can be a player in this league, but given the guy who was on the board (A.Brown), yeah it's a bit of a wtf. Also has some off field issues, and who was the last guy they drafted with those kinds of concerns? Can't recall a single one under Nix.

Bills have drafted poorly for years, but this is the first time in a long time they've gone for home runs or strikeouts, nothing in between. Go for broke instead of drafting complete wtf players from no name schools.

It's only our first and third rounders that are true hit or miss guys, but your first rounder should never carry that much risk. They should be starting caliber players at worst if you intend to compete in this league.

DraftBoy
04-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Im not a huge fan of many of the picks but I admire the style they are displaying. At least it shows some life.

Lexwhat
04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I posted this in another thread, but probably fits better here:

...Don't people realize that after ~3 years, only about 25% of 3rd rounders are even legitimate starters in this league? Hell, go back to the last couple drafts and take a look at all the 3rd round picks that were taken. Beyond the 2nd round, the draft is an utter crap shoot.

An overall good draft would be finding 1 star player and 3 solid starters, regardless of what round they are found in.

2 star players and 2 solid starters is a downright amazing draft, and this is the rate of success that teams like the 49ers and Seahawks have shown over the past few years.

If I was a GM, I would go for BPA (and throw needs completely out the window) after Round 2. Round 3 and beyond is all about boom-or-bust, since the success rate of finding a starter after Round 2 exponentially decreases from 25%.

kingJofNYC
04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I posted this in another thread, but probably fits better here:

...Don't people realize that after ~3 years, only about 25% of 3rd rounders are even legitimate starters in this league? Hell, go back to the last couple drafts and take a look at all the 3rd round picks that were taken. Beyond the 2nd round, the draft is an utter crap shoot.

An overall good draft would be finding 1 star player and 3 solid starters, regardless of what round they are found in.

2 star players and 2 solid starters is a downright amazing draft, and this is the rate of success that teams like the 49ers and Seahawks have shown over the past few years.

If I was a GM, I would go for BPA (and throw needs completely out the window) after Round 2. Round 3 and beyond is all about boom-or-bust, since the success rate of finding a starter after Round 2 exponentially decreases from 25%.

Spot on, we took a big risk in the first though.

Don't mind it. A lot depends on the coaches, have to develop these guys. Wonder what they do tomorrow, some solid talent on the board that could help this team. Glad we're at 8 in the 4th.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Woods was the only BPA at the time we picked . The rest were potentially high ceiling if they pan out. Like DB stated, high risk ,high reward. Hackett better know what he's doing .

Night Train
04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Safe picks have served us well the last 13 years. Never change.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
the goodwin pick is safe dude, fastest guy in draft and hes a football player first, and we got him in the 3rd. nm, just wait until the preseason at least...

you probably think goodwin is soft lol

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
the goodwin pick is safe dude, fastest guy in draft and hes a football player first, and we got him in the 3rd. nm, just wait until the preseason at least...

you probably think goodwin is soft lolhis nos. don't justify his being drafted in the 3rd. but I can see how he can hit a homerun with his speed. Even TJ Graham had better nos out of college.

Lexwhat
04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Spot on, we took a big risk in the first though.

Don't mind it. A lot depends on the coaches, have to develop these guys. Wonder what they do tomorrow, some solid talent on the board that could help this team. Glad we're at 8 in the 4th.

Woods was the only BPA at the time we picked . The rest were potentially high ceiling if they pan out. Like DB stated, high risk ,high reward. Hackett better know what he's doing .

IMO, I think the term "high risk / high reward" is thrown around too much. The only time that phrase applies is to the 1st, and maybe the 2nd round... When the success rate of the 3rd round and beyond is only ~25%, there's no such thing as "high risk." Everything is low risk.

Ultimately, our draft will be tied to Manuel. If he's the answer for us at QB and has the ability to take us to the super bowl, it is impossible for it to be a bad draft. And if ANY player from round 2-7 turns out to be a star too, we have had a great draft. Just give me 2 more solid (legitimate) starters and we literally can't ask for anything more.

If Manuel turns out to be a bust, it will be much more difficult to salvage this draft.

justasportsfan
04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
IMO, I think the term "high risk / high reward" is thrown around too much. The only time that phrase applies is to the 1st, and maybe the 2nd round... When the success rate of the 3rd round and beyond is only ~25%, there's no such thing as "high risk." Everything is low risk.

I agree.

The players drafted so far even EJ wreaks PLAYMAKERS.

YardRat
04-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Ballsy or stupid...we'll find out.

Buddo
04-27-2013, 04:47 AM
I agree.

The players drafted so far even EJ wreaks PLAYMAKERS.

Agreed. I've just posted elsewhere, that I think the LBer was a guy they had targeted, due to his coverage ability. We might eventually have a guy who can cover a TE occasionally.

justasportsfan
04-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Agreed. I've just posted elsewhere, that I think the LBer was a guy they had targeted, due to his coverage ability. We might eventually have a guy who can cover a TE occasionally.

he should be able to put a whop-whop on Hernandez and send Gronk back dancing at the clubs

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2013, 08:51 AM
his nos. don't justify his being drafted in the 3rd. but I can see how he can hit a homerun with his speed. Even TJ Graham had better nos out of college.

you cant teach speed, so in the 3rd round I'm fine with taking a guy who is faster than nearly anyone else on the field.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Safe picks have served us well the last 13 years. Never change.

The trick is to change the guy(s) making the picks, not to have the same idiots go against their already suspect judgement.

Not making a bad choice doesn't necessarily equate to making a good choice. When you've got a poor evaluator making it, it's most often just a different bad choice.

- - - Updated - - -

you cant teach speed, so in the 3rd round I'm fine with taking a guy who is faster than nearly anyone else on the field.

I agree.

Sincerely,
TJ Graham
(The guy you're replacing with the same guy)

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
The trick is to change the guy(s) making the picks, not to have the same idiots go against their already suspect judgement.

Not making a bad choice doesn't necessarily equate to making a good choice. When you've got a poor evaluator making it, it's most often just a different bad choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

Sincerely,
TJ Graham
(The guy you're replacing with the same guy)

Except Goodwin is faster. Graham has very good speed, Goodwin has elite speed.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Except Goodwin is faster. Graham has very good speed, Goodwin has elite speed.

But we were told that Graham had elite speed. We were told the he could/should have been on the Olympic relay team. That's elite speed.

The Jokeman
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Goodwin and Meeks are the only two picks I have major issues over. The rest of the guys look like they could contribute.

GvilleBills
04-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Speed and Aggression, your 2013 Bills