• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

3 Rounds Down - Here's what I like...

I posted yesterday why I liked the Bills taking EJ Manuel: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...rafting-Manuel

Now, 3 more picks in the books for the Bills, here again is what I like. Again, I don't watch enough college ball to talk about players' physical attributes or anything like that, so this isn't about those sorts of things.

Addressing Areas of Need: As LeBron James would say... "It's about damn time!" For years, the Bills have needed a QB, linebackers, offensive line (which I'll get back to) and hep for Stevie Johnson at WR. 4 picks in and 3 positions of need addressed. They might not be the players you particularly like at those positions (another thing I'll get back to) but at least it isn't another ******* Cornerback or Running Back, when, compared to QB, LB and WR, we're set at those positions.

NOT replacing FA's who leave with Draft Picks: When Levitre and Rinehart left, some people said it would be a "waste" if the Bills simply drafted his replacement. I agree with this. Unfortunately, it's been a route we have seen the Bills take for many years. This time, they didn't do it at OG and they haven't picked a Safety (or any DB) to "replace" Byrd, either. Now, we might see one, or both of thos positions addressed in Rounds 4-7, but I can tolerate that a helluva lot more than I can tolerate ignoring obvious holes (such as QB and LB) in order to fill the holes that they created by not re-signing Free Agents with early round picks.

This Mesage Board's Reaction to the Bills' Picks: Looking through some of the posts here recently, a lot of posters who are considered "Homers," "Optomists," "Kool-Aid Drinkers," etc are not likeing this draft too much at all. They're pissed about Manuel being drafted ("We could have gotten him later!!!!!!!!11111111") They're pissed about Alonzo... In fact, the only pick most of them do like is Woods. These are the same people who, two days ago were saying tha the Bills should take Nassib or Barkley with the 8 over all (who, by the wy, both are still on the board in the 4th round) but, for some unknown reason, are livid that the Bills traded back, got two extra picks and still got the QB that they wanted.

On the other sie, you have "negative" posters like SpikedLemonade, Coastal and even OPIV saying they actually like parts of the draft (OP liked the trade down, hey, it's a start) and Coastal and Spiked like the pick of Manuel. For a good part of the past 13 years, the "homers" have been wrong, while the "negative posters" have been right. If that's also the case with this draft, the Bills are doing pretty damn good, as these people I mentioned above hardly ever have much good to say about what the Bills do.

Honorable Mentions:

1: If you were one of those people that insist we take a QB at 8, you really have ZERO ROOM to ***** abotu EJ being taken at 16, due to the fact that, unless you wanted Geno Smith or Glennon at 8, the QB you did want at 8 is still on the board in the 4th round. That, IMO, should automatically disqualify your opinion on QB's... You talk about EJ being such a "reach," yet "your guy" that you wanted at 8, is still on the board after nearly 100 picks.

2: If you DID want Geno at 8, go back and look at his past 24 hours. Everytime he was on camera, he was pouting, said he wasn't even coming back to the Green Room for round 2, then, when he finally did get taken, the first words out of his mouth are "We're going to the playoffs." While some might call that confidence, all's I heard was loud mouth Rex Ryan. Add another clown to the circus in New Jersey... That situation is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Based on his attitude and his loud mouth over these past couple days, I'm glad the Bills didn't take him.

-Bill
  • Buddo
    • Mar 2007

Re: 3 Rounds Down - Here's what I like...

So far, so good, imho. I liked the Manuel pick, on two grounds. Firstly, they got the extra picks for trading back, which was very important, imho. Secondly, not only did they get 'their' guy, he also happened to be the QB with the most overall upside, due to his ability to run, if needed/wanted/required.

I wanted Hunter as our next pick, but the Titans jumped in to snag him, so I've got no complaints about the selection of Woods, who would have always been an alternative choice. I suspect that Hunter was going to go before we picked, regardless, so it's no big deal we didn't get him. What I'd heard on Woods prior to the draft, was generally favorable anyway, and I think it's a rock solid pick.

I know next to nothing about our new LB, but in reading some of the things quoted about him, I think the Bills have found a 'type' of LB, that they were specifically looking for. A guy with genuine coverage skills. I can buy into that. Concerns about off the field problems exist, but so far it would appear that the stuff is more traditional 'rite of passage' alcohol related, than anything more sinister, and by the sounds of it, the guy has made significant efforts to sort himself out.

The 4th round pick, I do like, a lot. I also like the implications of it, as well. From listening to Marrone on the PC, seems as though there's a plan afoot, to keep some scary speed on the field at all times. The kid will need more refinement, but the measurables are impressive, as you might expect. Nix also commented about the fact that he gets downfield and will block, and says he viewed him as a footballer first, rather than just a guy with serious wheels. Marrone felt that the main reason he needs the extra work/refinement, is that he missed the Spring Practices, as that was when he was involved with the track stuff, and not because he was a track guy just trying to be a footballer. He might be used more sparingly than people like, in part due to his size, which is something of a concern, but this kid will be the quickest guy we have over 40 yards, and with TJ and CJ, thats saying something. ( I would think TJ would get him over distance, but it would be mighty close). Trying to follow those 3 go through 10 yard shuttles, could give you a serious neck injury.

What do I think we still need from this draft? DBs and O-Line.
    Best guess would be DBs today, and O-Line tomorrow. Could be one of each a day, but I suspect the value for those picks will be DBs first, and O-Line last.

Another good day for the FO imho. I suspect that they got one of their top WRs in Woods, and they also got a guy I think they genuinely wanted, in the LBer, as I think they put a big premium this year on coverage skills, when looking at LBers.
    Goodwin, I think, was a genuine 'is that guy still here?' pick for them.

I also think the FO will be pleased with what they have achieved so far, as I think they've got just about all they wanted, from their picks up to now. We might not agree on what they have done, but I think they themselves, are very happy with how things have gone.

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

Each have the chance to be game changers. I think we hit big on at least one of out top 4 picks, i hope that its Manuel. But i see all being major contributors to our team, so im psyched. Previous years you couldnt even tell if the players would ever be good enough to start. These guys you know can play, aside from Manuel but thats bc of his youth and rawness
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Who cares what draftnicks and posters think ? Their lack of knowledge is evident daily.

Marrone has a vision of what he wishes to do and he gets 3 years to try it. His first 4 picks were bold.

I can't wait until camp and I don't need some guy with ESPN or the Sporting News to tell me how to think about my team.

" Barkley vs Nassib. Who take at #8 ! " - I rest my case.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Well, I think I am one of the biggest optimists/homers on this board & I LOVE this draft. I loved the trade down. Not only got extra picks, but took Austin off the board so the Jets couldn't get him. I said all along I will trust Nix to pick the QB but I liked Glennon. And my 2nd favorite team drafted him. If EJ plays as well as he did in the Senior Bowl in years to come, we have a GOOD QB.

VERY HAPPY the Bills did not draft Geno or Barkley.

Comment

Working...
          X