PDA

View Full Version : Is Nix not making the picks any more?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm ok with the picks we've been making but this does not seem like a Nix draft at all. In his first three years here, Nix showed a clear preference for players from the southeast. Prior to this year, the only guy Nix picked from a non-Confederate state in the first 5 rounds was Easley. Woods, Alonso, and Williams don't follow that pattern at all. Has Whaley taken over the room?

SpikedLemonade
04-27-2013, 11:23 AM
I hope so.

psubills62
04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
I think most aspects of this draft point to Nix having a limited role. The only thing that indicates it's a Nix draft, IMO, is the avoidance of selecting OL.

DraftBoy
04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Some people have speculated that for a few months now.

Beebe
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Finally we get players that know how to party.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Could be some substance to this speculation. Marrone SHOULD have the biggest voice in the war room. It's his neck.

DraftBoy
04-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Could be some substance to this speculation. Marrone SHOULD have the biggest voice in the war room. It's his neck.

Just my opinion but these picks the trade the coaching moves all shout Whaley. Youth, energy, and a different direction.

psubills62
04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Not sure he should have the biggest voice. However, he and Whaley/Nix should definitely be on the same page.

What infuriated me the most over the last few years was when Buffalo would draft a player and then the coaches would seem to have no idea how to use them. Marrone and co. need to be clear on what kind of players they're looking for, and it's Nix and Whaley's job to find guys who match what they want.

Bangarang
04-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Nix wouldn't draft guys with character issues. That's not his thing.

seems like Whaley is taking a Steelers approach with getting guys teams are worried about. Hopefully they pan out.

justasportsfan
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
this isn't your normal "safe" draft. Seems like we drafted players with attitude. On offense , any of them could hit a homerun.

Both Alonso and Duke so far (yeah it's only youtube) look like the "search and destroy " type of players.Honestly, I think these guys look like players that Sexy Rexy would draft.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Nix chose EJM (Florida, a Southeastern state) then handed over the reins. Like he took one last shot at filling the "franchise QB" order, then mosied off into the sunset.

That was the first and last time I've ever used the word mosie. It seemed appropriate.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Nix chose EJM (Florida, a Southeastern state) then handed over the reins. Like he took one last shot at filling the "franchise QB" order, then mosied off into the sunset.

That was the first and last time I've ever used the word mosie. It seemed appropriate.

If I could ever picture someone mosieing, it would be Nix.

feldspar
04-27-2013, 01:25 PM

That's pretty obvious, since it was misspelled. I fancy Nix is more the type to sashay, though.

feldspar
04-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Seriously though, some of you people kill me. Buddy Nix is the GM. It's his draft. I'm sure the same people that will have a hard time giving him credit if things go right will have no problem BLAMING him if things go wrong with this draft class. The bias is palpable: "I liked this pick, so Nix must not have made it."

pmoon6
04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
I thought and said before that Nix only stayed on to smooth the transition. Tex Shramm did the same thing after Tom Landry got fired. If you can get someone that has experience with details from a long time in the league, it's a perfect scenario. Regardless of his picks that didn't work out. It's the same in any business.

WagonCircler
04-27-2013, 01:55 PM
I thought and said before that Nix only stayed on to smooth the transition. Tex Shramm did the same thing after Tom Landry got fired. If you can get someone that has experience with details from a long time in the league, it's a perfect scenario. Regardless of his picks that didn't work out. It's the same in any business.

Plus, where else can you get authentic frontier gibberish of the quality offered at a Nix press conference?

"He wuhdn't beatin' up women, he just drank too much, that's all it was. He drank too much. Everyone else would maybe social drink, he had too many..."

It's like they gene-spliced Yogi Berra and Forrest Gump.

coastal
04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Two safeties later...

IlluminatusUIUC
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Two safeties later...

LMAO I jinxed it.

coastal
04-27-2013, 02:59 PM
LMAO I jinxed it.
With a kicker chaser.

DraftBoy
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Nix is definitely making picks again.

whkfc
04-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Lindell sucks he's losing his leg. They tried to replace him last year. I'm perfectly fine with kicker pick.

feldspar
04-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Lindell sucks he's losing his leg. They tried to replace him last year. I'm perfectly fine with kicker pick.

Lindell NEVER had the strongest leg in the first place. That's why we brought John Potter in last year to kickoff. We were PUNTING last year inside the 35-yard-line, and in crucial spots too.

Kickers are important. Ask the Patriots with Adam Vinatieri. Kickers can make the difference between a couple of few wins each year at least, really. People don't think about it, but kickers put WAY more points on the board than any other position. This is a true fact: the whole point of the game is to put points on the board, more points than the other team...and kickers put more points on the board than ANYBODY. Yet people continue to devalue them.

Jon Gruden picked a kicker in the first round, at #17 overall.

justasportsfan
04-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Q: Since the first of the year has your role in football decisions increased at all?

RB: No. My role is to provide leadership to this organization but make no mistake, and I know that it gets brought up every once in a while, Buddy Nix pulls the tag, as I like to say when it comes to the draft. He has the entire time that I’ve been here and worked with him. That’s the way I was brought up in this business. You let the football men and Buddy, the general manager, make those decisions and you provide every support element as you can as an organization to Buddy, the scouts, the coaches, to make and form decisions. We had a very thorough process this year as you know. We had a lot of private workouts and tried to have as much information available as could be, as we could provide to make good informed decisions. That’s what my role is, to provide as many assets as an organization to our general manager and our people to make good decisions.

let this statement put the "Russ is responsible for all the football/player decisions" since Donahoe left!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Russ-Brandon-I%E2%80%99m-very-pleased-with-what%E2%80%99s-been-done-to-date/5cbca3cc-e68e-430d-8eb4-9df1542cdda3

justasportsfan
04-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Q: In the past four months how has Doug Whaley’s role grown and evolved?

RB: It’s been consistent with years past, really the past couple of years. Doug continues to mature within his role. Buddy keeps providing him opportunity within the department. There’s lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that. Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time. As I mentioned before, Doug is a vital part to the process but when it comes to football decisions in this organization, one person and one person only makes decisions and that’s Buddy Nix.

MTBillsFan
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Meeks is going to be a special teams guy probably. He'll end up replacing Corey McIntyre. OR it was the We're smarter than you pick.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 02:14 AM
As I mentioned before, Doug is a vital part to the process but when it comes to football decisions in this organization, one person and one person only makes decisions and that’s Buddy Nix.

Straight from the horses mouth...

You can tell certain people this until the cows come home, and all the evidence points to it, but they'll STILL believe whatever the hell it is they want to believe.

kishoph
04-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Two safeties later...

Yea, if Jairus Byrd doesn't resign, then this will really be a stupid move. :whoosh:

With a kicker chaser.

No sense in trying to replace your 36 year old weak legged kicker, with the best kicker coming out of college.

Extremebillsfan247
04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm ok with the picks we've been making but this does not seem like a Nix draft at all. In his first three years here, Nix showed a clear preference for players from the southeast. Prior to this year, the only guy Nix picked from a non-Confederate state in the first 5 rounds was Easley. Woods, Alonso, and Williams don't follow that pattern at all. Has Whaley taken over the room?

The reason I think this draft looks different is not because of Nix, but who the HC is, and what he's asking for in player personnel. Gailey figured to make it work with the offense he had, so Nix concentrated mainly on the defensive side of the ball in the draft when Gailey was HC.

Now that Marrone is HC, he has a different idea about what he wants as far as players are concerned. He want's more play makers, competition at every position, and really build an offense that Offensive Coordinator Hackett can work with.

Nix went out to find players that fit what these coaches were looking for. Since both have differences in coaching philosophy, it becomes a determining factor in who the Bills draft. Nix has always been a Scout first, GM second since being hired here. So this isn't as surprising to me I guess.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-28-2013, 05:32 PM
The reason I think this draft looks different is not because of Nix, but who the HC is, and what he's asking for in player personnel. Gailey figured to make it work with the offense he had, so Nix concentrated mainly on the defensive side of the ball in the draft when Gailey was HC.

Now that Marrone is HC, he has a different idea about what he wants as far as players are concerned. He want's more play makers, competition at every position, and really build an offense that Offensive Coordinator Hackett can work with.

Nix went out to find players that fit what these coaches were looking for. Since both have differences in coaching philosophy, it becomes a determining factor in who the Bills draft. Nix has always been a Scout first, GM second since being hired here. So this isn't as surprising to me I guess.

It's not that we drafted a bunch of offensive players, it's that several of those guys were from the Pac 12 or Wac, conferences Nix generally avoided until the very late rounds.

Extremebillsfan247
04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
It's not that we drafted a bunch of offensive players, it's that several of those guys were from the Pac 12 or Wac, conferences Nix generally avoided until the very late rounds.

It may just be that sticking to players from the south had more to due with Gailey than it did Nix? That's my theory anyway. lol