PDA

View Full Version : Ingtar33's Draft Thoughts

Ingtar33
04-27-2013, 11:45 AM
ok... well we've been having a bit of a different draft than was usual in the last few years, which i figured was the new HC's influence. Overall there has been a lot of interest in putting better athletes on the field. Considering part of the problem the last few years is we've simply been out talented this is a generally good thing.

My problem to this point is, this was perhaps the deepest draft in the past 5-10 years for offensive line and defensive front 7 players... and we spent 3 picks on skill players and just one on our atrocious linebacking core. Granted, we need a QB but this really wasn't the draft, unless some team gets insanely lucky, to find a franchise QB. But considering our QB situation, i would have taken one in rounds 1 or 2 as well, so i can't really fault them for trying.

1) EJ Manuel - rather than tell you a laundry list of things i like and don't like about him, I'll just quote myself on him.

*i've only seen a few of these guys , so take this opinion with a grain of salt... of the guys i've seen this is the ranking i'd give them.

1) Geno Smith
2) EJ Manuel - think you guys are undervaluing this kid
3) Mike Glennon
4) Tyler Wilson
5) Matt Barkley
6) Landry Jones

That's my list of the top QB prospects.

well, going into this game Glennon, Nassib and Wilson were considered the top guys at this meat market (with Jones and Manuel just outside that group looking in). Glennon and Manuel will tend to look like the best guys in a pickup game no matter what their teammates are as they have the most sound passing game of the group. You don't need to know your WRs well to be an accurate passer.

The practices tend to be more important because that's where you can learn about the guy's character, and how they interact... and most importantly, how they throw the ball under the same situations (which you can't reproduce in a single quarter of play during some random all star game)

--Manuel has long been one of the few guys i liked in this draft. but even i wouldn't take him in round one.

listen, i always liked EJ, I think he has a first rounder's measurables, height, size, speed, arm. The problem is it doesn't often translate to the field. If you look at this draft class he was always gonna be the physical freak of this class. But I don't think he's the best QB in the class.

not by a long shot.

First round physique, fourth round head. I wouldn't call him the qb with the most potential... nor is he the most likely in this weak class to succeed... I'd say Barkley (a pick i would have hated in round one) and Smith (someone i'm surprised didn't make it into round one... that said he was borderline) have a better chance to "make it"... of course a "better chance" means just that... a "chance".
~to give you a historical comparison, I think I said 1st round physique 4th round head when talking about JP Losman when he was drafted.

Robert Woods - One of the two best players on the USC offense (the other is not Matt Barkley); great wide receiver and should bolster our receiving corps. I'm amazed he was still on the board, though that was likely because the front 7 and oline talent was so insanely deep this year... Best and lowest risk pick of the draft thus far.

Kiko Alonso - high risk high reward... he's instantly the best linebacker on the team... which i think says more for the state of our LB corps then it does for him as a prospect. I like the pick because it was such a desperate need and he has so much talent its worth taking a flier on a potential troublemaker. He also makes us more athletic up front which we really need.

Marquise Goodwin - Al Davis would have taken him in round 1 or 2... I like it because it makes us more athletic, but i don't expect much. Overall i would have rather we worked more on the front 7 or the glaring hole at guard we built for ourselves.

Slim
04-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the insight Ingtar. When the Bills picked Manuel, I remembered you posting "not to sleep on him". I was waiting for you to pop up and give us your analysis.

YardRat
04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Kiko Alonso - high risk high reward... he's instantly the best linebacker on the team

Oh, hell no. This kid should take Chris White's spot on the roster, but if he develops into anything more than a ST monster/versatile back-up I'll be surprised.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
But T Dummy and his disciples have posted 700 times the last 2 days he's a bust, so it's a moot point..:whistling

Ingtar33
04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
he may or may not pan out. but you can't ignore the physique. Any scout could tell just watching him he was built for the NFL.

Maybe he'll be a late bloomer and everything will come together for him at the pro level. I doubt it but the bills fan in me can't help but hope for it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh, hell no. This kid should take Chris White's spot on the roster, but if he develops into anything more than a ST monster/versatile back-up I'll be surprised.
Yeah ok. Way to be so sure.

YardRat
04-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah ok. Way to be so sure.

Confidence and accuracy are two of my strongest qualities.

Fixxxer
04-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Stanford's coach David Shaw (on NFLN now) loves both Wood and Alonso. Said Alonso was very underrated and said he was everywhere on the football field. About Woods he said he's a great route runner.

Novacane
04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Stanford's coach David Shaw (on NFLN now) loves both Wood and Alonso. Said Alonso was very underrated and said he was everywhere on the football field. About Woods he said he's a great route runner.

Sorry. I'm taking Yardrats opinion over a guy that's played against him and watched hrs of tape on him. ST star at best!

YardRat
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry. I'm taking Yardrats opinion over a guy that's played against him and watched hrs of tape on him. ST star at best!

You wanna take my opinion on Trent Edwards too, or Bill Walsh's?

Novacane
04-27-2013, 04:05 PM
You may be right. I'm just willing to wait and see. I don't see the point in declaring guys wasted picks until I see them play.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Wow. You must have watched a lot of his games.

I posted a report this morning from a scout, saying Alonzo " Was making the plays Dion Jordan should have been making ". Sounds like a guy Pettine plans on using more than the ST's coach.

JoeMama
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
For the love of God, please let EJ Manuel be good.

As an FSU fan, watching him ruin my Saturdays every weekend for two years was bad enough, I don't need him prolonging my misery on Sundays too.

Had somebody asked me last October or November what I thought about the prospect of drafting Manuel (anywhere in the draft, let alone the first round) I would have laughed my ass off.

I'm not opposed to drafting him but I'm not a true believer either. In a draft with nothing but bad choices at quarterback, we had to make a choice that was "least bad". And hopefully we did.

YardRat
04-27-2013, 07:32 PM

I posted a report this morning from a scout, saying Alonzo " Was making the plays Dion Jordan should have been making ". Sounds like a guy Pettine plans on using more than the ST's coach.

Shaw is big on him also, as Fixxxer previously noted, but...

1--Do we really need to start going through the litany of draft picks that guys 'in the business' talked up only to see them fail?
2--It's a fan message board for football...where fans share their opinions...Duh.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-27-2013, 11:00 PM

I posted a report this morning from a scout, saying Alonzo " Was making the plays Dion Jordan should have been making ". Sounds like a guy Pettine plans on using more than the ST's coach.It's all on Marrone, in my opinion. He apparently thinks he can coach him up as EJ has the physical tools, and an attitude "willing to work", supposedly