PDA

View Full Version : Bills offense strikingly similar to 90's oilers.

Buffalo Thriller
04-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Saw this posted from a guy blogging on Tumblr.
Found it interesting. Thoughts?

I find it kind of bizarre how the Buffalo Bills offense now looks strikingly similar to the 1990 Houston Oilers team.
First off, QB EJ Manuel closely resembles the agile HOF QB Warren Moon. Secondly, the Bills speedy collection of receivers (Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin), two of which are Olympic-level track athletes (yes, seriously), look very similar to former Oilers WRs (Haywood Jeffries, Ernest Givins, Drew Hill, and Curtis Duncan, respectively).
Speaking of the 90’s, it’s evident that the no-huddle offense (like the K-Gun era) may be coming back! Oh, and it’s also probably worth mentioning the backfield still includes all-star CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. The only thing missing is a solid tight end (2013 Draft pick: Round 4-7?).

GvilleBills
04-27-2013, 03:16 PM
So fun on Tecmo Bowl...

Buffalo Thriller
04-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Football Arcade at its best.

Later
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Great! And the 90's Oilers won how many championships?

Skooby
04-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Great! And the 90's Oilers won how many championships?

As many as us.

BADTHINGSMAN
04-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I hate comparisons esp rookies to HOF.

Night Train
04-27-2013, 06:53 PM

I find it kind of bizarre how the Buffalo Bills offense now looks strikingly similar to the 1990 Houston Oilers team.
First off, QB EJ Manuel closely resembles the agile HOF QB Warren Moon. Secondly, the Bills speedy collection of receivers (Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin), two of which are Olympic-level track athletes (yes, seriously), look very similar to former Oilers WRs (Haywood Jeffries, Ernest Givins, Drew Hill, and Curtis Duncan, respectively).
Speaking of the 90’s, it’s evident that the no-huddle offense (like the K-Gun era) may be coming back! Oh, and it’s also probably worth mentioning the backfield still includes all-star CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. The only thing missing is a solid tight end (2013 Draft pick: Round 4-7?).

It's not a reach at all to think this. It sure looks like a track meet on paper. We shall see.

JoeMama
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
This seems like an insult to the 90s Oilers.

jills
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
This has to be a joke, right?

MTBillsFan
04-27-2013, 08:55 PM
we got our TE with Gragg!

pmoon6
04-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Speaking of the 90’s, it’s evident that the no-huddle offense (like the K-Gun era) may be coming back! Oh, and it’s also probably worth mentioning the backfield still includes all-star CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. The only thing missing is a solid tight end (2013 Draft pick: Round 4-7?).If you're going to compare them to the Oiler's Run and shoot, leave out TE, they didn't use one.

Meathead
04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
comparing our five black players to their five black players is racist

swiper
04-28-2013, 09:14 AM
ROFL.

pmoon6
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
This seems like an insult to the 90s Oilers. The Houston Oilers deserve every insult they get. I routinely mocked them and their fans when I lived there. I can tell you tons of stories about them.

My best gag was after the Comeback game. I waited a few weeks, just time enough for the wounds to start to heal, and took a tape of the game into a room where our safety meeting was held. I had the tape set at Christie's kick and replaced the safety video with the game. The place exploded when the director hit play and the OIlers' Fans got to relive it all over again. One guy even wanted to fight me.

Another funny tidbit from that game was watching it at the sports bar with about a hundred Bills' Fans and the same amount of Oilers' guys. They kept bringing tissues over to our side during the first half, so of course we returned the favor in the second. The place was like a morgue when it was over. It's one thing to lose in that fashion, another to lose and be mocked by the opposing teams fans. One guy went outside, got something from his car (had to be lighter fluid) took off his Moon jersey, Oilers' hat and a bandana he had in his pocket, threw all on the ground, doused them with fluid and lit it all on fire. All to the roars of laughter from all of us.

pmoon6
04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
As many as us.HaHa. Yeah, except Houston never even won the AFC Championship, as a matter of fact they never even played in the game. They also blew leads three consecutive years in the playoffs and won only 3 playoff games in 7 years of making it in.

That's the flaw in the Run and Shoot. Hard to pound the ball and run the clock when you don't even have a TE on the roster.

Typ0
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Can we compare EJ to a white guy once and a while?

bosshogg21
04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
This so stupid...