X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Feel like going back to Gregg Williams era again

except we may have a better scouting department under Nix than Donahoe.

The theme in this draft is raw talent. Physical talent. high ceiling. Listening to Marrone talk, he mentioned several times that the coaching stuff is teaching, bring the football player out of those talents.

When Gregg Williams was here, he talked in refreshing tones about treating the players like college players. Teach and you get them for about 4 years anyway - that's what I remembered.

Of course unlike Williams, Marrone actually did the teaching in Syracuse and have the results to show for it. But this is pro. Money changes everything, as Donahoe famously said it, which I truely believe. If Maroone and his staff can get ONE of the high ceiling guy reaching his potential, it will be a success. And if that player is EJ, he'll be reach Levy's status in Buffalo.

I have no doubt that Marrone played a big role in this culture change. Nix, since being in Buffalo, is about as an old fashioned scout as he can be. His famous saying to me is that "if a guy has done it in high school, and in college, chances are he's going to do it in NFL". This is all sound and good. But you have to be in the right position, in other words with luck, to get the guy you want because everyone else see s that too. So now Nix is modified his motto to "if a guy has done it in high school, but not in college, as long as he has the physical talent, we can bring it out in NFL." I have to believe Marrone is the reason behind it.
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Re: Feel like going back to Gregg Williams era again

I suspect Marrone had a lot of input into this draft. And since he's coming straight from the college game that input should be very useful- he KNOWS a ton of these players

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

If he shows up at camp with a bullhorn the circle will be complete.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
        except we may have a better scouting department under Nix than Donahoe.

The theme in this draft is raw talent. Physical talent. high ceiling. Listening to Marrone talk, he mentioned several times that the coaching stuff is teaching, bring the football player out of those talents.

When Gregg Williams was here, he talked in refreshing tones about treating the players like college players. Teach and you get them for about 4 years anyway - that's what I remembered.

Of course unlike Williams, Marrone actually did the teaching in Syracuse and have the results to show for it. But this is pro. Money changes everything, as Donahoe famously said it, which I truely believe. If Maroone and his staff can get ONE of the high ceiling guy reaching his potential, it will be a success. And if that player is EJ, he'll be reach Levy's status in Buffalo.

I have no doubt that Marrone played a big role in this culture change. Nix, since being in Buffalo, is about as an old fashioned scout as he can be. His famous saying to me is that "if a guy has done it in high school, and in college, chances are he's going to do it in NFL". This is all sound and good. But you have to be in the right position, in other words with luck, to get the guy you want because everyone else see s that too. So now Nix is modified his motto to "if a guy has done it in high school, but not in college, as long as he has the physical talent, we can bring it out in NFL." I have to believe Marrone is the reason behind it.
        You're right. All through this draft I thought this was Gregg Williams all over again. Hope Marrone doesn't have a bullhorn. I don't suspect he does. Maybe the outcome will be better this time.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

I see GW when Marrone is talking to the press. No nonsense except he dun't say "didly pooh"
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-28-2013, 08:19 AM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ublinkwescore
            Sab and TD are insignificant
            • Sep 2002

Gregg Williams' downfall was Kevin gilbride. The d was stout. Special teams serviceable. The o had talent that could win once bledsoe got here, but gilbride's playcalling negated that. Lets hope the o is new orleans-like and the d is jets-like. Given what I have seen so far from the draft, im actually looking forward to this upcoming season now. Too bad I probably wont be able to catch many games...
            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
              Gregg Williams' downfall was Kevin gilbride. The d was stout. Special teams serviceable. The o had talent that could win once bledsoe got here, but gilbride's playcalling negated that. Lets hope the o is new orleans-like and the d is jets-like. Given what I have seen so far from the draft, im actually looking forward to this upcoming season now. Too bad I probably wont be able to catch many games...
              That's such a cop out. Gregg Williams was the freakin head coach! It's one thing to have an OC it's another to completely hand over all control to him. Kevin Gilbride won a SB with the Giants. He did it running a balanced offense, you can look it up. Can you take a guess why he did that? I'll wait while you think this through.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Gregg Williams' downfall was Kevin gilbride.
                You say that. And we all thought that at the time. But how does Gilbride seem to thrive under Coughlin? Went to Super Bowl. I'm not so sure it was all Gilbride.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  • Sep 2002

Coughlin calls the plays. Gilbride passed on EVERY 3rd down.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Yeah, I felt like the majority of this draft was similar in essence to the Spiller selection. The goal is to upgrade the overall talent of the team by getting fast, athletic players. That's fine, as long as we have the coaches to develop and make use of them (I think that's become my mantra). It all comes down to coaching and putting these players in a position to succeed, both offensively and defensively. Goodwin seems like a nice weapon, but if our coaches fail to get him into space, I don't see it helping the team that much.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Coughlin calls the plays. Gilbride passed on EVERY 3rd down.
                      He did. Either Williams agreed with that or he was afraid to object. Either way the head coach is 100% responsible. Period.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                        Will not tolerate vandalism.
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        If he shows up at camp with a bullhorn the circle will be complete.
                        Bring on the opportunity laps!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          You're right. All through this draft I thought this was Gregg Williams all over again. Hope Marrone doesn't have a bullhorn. I don't suspect he does. Maybe the outcome will be better this time.

you guys make winning so much more complicated than it is. if you have a franchise qb, a couple athletic pass rushers and a couple speed demons, you will win....

greg williams lost because drew bledsoe failed. simple as that

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph View Post
                            He did. Either Williams agreed with that or he was afraid to object. Either way the head coach is 100% responsible. Period.
                            Im not saykng hes not responsible, but gilbride does need a leash.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought they were called thinking laps

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
                              you guys make winning so much more complicated than it is. if you have a franchise qb, a couple athletic pass rushers and a couple speed demons, you will win....

greg williams lost because drew bledsoe failed. simple as that
                              no

Comment

Working...
                              X