PDA

View Full Version : Nix's legacy/reputation hinges on Manuel

YardRat
04-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Buddy told the entire free world the Bills needed a QB, and they were going to draft one.
The personnel department poured over game tape.
They saw potential picks play at the college level, in person.
They scrutinized the recruits at the combine, and at their pro days.
They brought in their short list for visits, a few of them more than once.
They had their 'pick of the litter', and snagged the man they thought was 'the best' with their first pick in the draft.

More than any other move Buddy has made anytime, anywhere, how EJ Manuel pans out will define Nix's legacy.

justasportsfan
04-28-2013, 06:25 AM
agreed

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Isn't Nix gone this year anyway?

And the article I read the other day was that the Bills draft by commitee. Which means that the coaches also get their two cents in. I think if this draft ends up being a true game changer then its really more about Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine and less about Nix.

Night Train
04-28-2013, 06:46 AM
That's true with ANY GM that picks a QB in Round 1. Comes with the territory.

coastal
04-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Nix's legacy can be summed up when he tried spam calling who he thought was Tampa's GM back like a butt hurt teenage girl who just got dumped after putting out at the prom.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Nix's legacy can be summed up when he tried spam calling who he thought was Tampa's GM back like a butt hurt teenage girl who just got dumped after putting out at the prom.
That was my lowest point as aBills fan. So ****ing embarrassing.

coastal
04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
That was my lowest point as aBills fan. So ****ing embarrassing.
Then leading into the draft he was quoted as saying that they had been receiving more calls this year than pervious years when questioned about possibly trading out of 8.

Thought that went through my head is whether or not he yet realizes it was even a prank.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2013, 07:35 AM
4-12
6-10
6-10
???? Probably 6-10 or worse

That's his legacy to me.

X-Era
04-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Buddy told the entire free world the Bills needed a QB, and they were going to draft one.
They had their 'pick of the litter', and snagged the man they thought was 'the best' with their first pick in the draft.

More than any other move Buddy has made anytime, anywhere, how EJ Manuel pans out will define Nix's legacy.I don't know Yardie.

I mean the Spiller pick is such a positive and the QB's are so risky anyway that I could see many considering it a "meh" if Manuel is a bust.

If he was #1 overall or even if we hadn't traded down it would be much more of an issue.

One thing that also makes it less of an issue is that Barkley and Nassib dropped to the 4th. If 3 went before the Bills 2nd rounder and Manuel became a flop we would hear about how we traded down, had our pick of the litter and didn't take the right guy in that group of 3 or 4. Instead it looks like we took the best of the bunch and there is a big drop off after Manuel.

I don't feel that's really true but it could look that way. It would be interesting to hear where the other QB needy teams had Manuel graded. I know the Eagles really liked him. But thats the question for me. Is it truly a situation where Manuel was just way better than the other prospects at QB. Because looking at where they were taken, it appears that way on the surface.

better days
04-28-2013, 08:41 AM
4-12
6-10
6-10
???? Probably 6-10 or worse

That's his legacy to me.

Time to show us the BABY. LONG OVERDUE.

imbondz
04-28-2013, 08:51 AM

lol. agreed.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Isn't Nix gone this year anyway?

And the article I read the other day was that the Bills draft by commitee. Which means that the coaches also get their two cents in. I think if this draft ends up being a true game changer then its really more about Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine and less about Nix.

LOL, and if it's a bad draft, then it's all Buddy's fault?

Buddy Nix is the GM. He makes the decisions. Period. There is nothing else. Nobody does it alone, but he makes the picks and not anybody else.

Nix is not stepping down...said so yesterday.

better days
04-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Buddy Nix is the GM. He makes the decisions. Period. There is nothing else. Nobody does it alone, but he makes the picks and not anybody else.

Like the QB, the GM gets the credit & the BLAME.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Like the QB, the GM gets the credit & the BLAME.

Yeah, but you have people here that are prepared to give him all the blame and no credit, depending on which way it swings.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 09:00 AM

You're reading too much into my words. And yo are 100% WRONG about it being Nix's decision. He said himself that everyone gets a voice to discuss the options. I'm not protecting Nix here, far from it. But what you fail to understand is that IF this draft happens to be better perhaps that could be attributed to the new coaching staff and their opinions and NOT have anything to do with Nix himself.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 09:14 AM
You're reading too much into my words. And yo are 100% WRONG about it being Nix's decision. He said himself that everyone gets a voice to discuss the options. I'm not protecting Nix here, far from it. But what you fail to understand is that IF this draft happens to be better perhaps that could be attributed to the new coaching staff and their opinions and NOT have anything to do with Nix himself.

I apologize if I got the wrong idea...that's what it sounded like you meant, and some people around here actually DO think that way.

Here is what Russ Brandon had to say yesterday: but when it comes to football decisions in this organization, one person and one person only makes decisions and that’s Buddy Nix.

Dunno. Was he lying? Of course no GM operates in a vacuum, and nobody is suggesting that.

Brandon also said this: Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time.

BTW, "dead spar" that's a good one...a real knee-slapper

swiper
04-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Russ Brandon says Nix is staying on as the GM for a long time to come.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 09:30 AM
I apologize if I got the wrong idea...that's what it sounded like you meant, and some people around here actually DO think that way.

Here is what Russ Brandon had to say yesterday: but when it comes to football decisions in this organization, one person and one person only makes decisions and that’s Buddy Nix.

Dunno. Was he lying? Of course no GM operates in a vacuum, and nobody is suggesting that.

Brandon also said this: Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time.

Thats fine. I'm not debating that. Nix is hired on and in the end, sink or float, the axe would and could ultimately fall on his neck. But I believe a better draft could just be attributed to the coaches that are now in place.

If its Nix's decision to draft by committee and his committee is a complete and utter failure than its his head.

imbondz
04-28-2013, 09:33 AM
pretty sure Nixes reputation has already been solidified

- - - Updated - - -

EJ Manuel can turn his reputation around.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Whoa...lol

The dead spar thing was completely unintentional- I swear. Using a droid tablet here and on occassions when backspacing the damn thing will jump to the top of the response and it goes unoticed while Im typing. I didnt even notice until you pointed it out.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Thats fine. I'm not debating that. Nix is hired on and in the end, sink or float, the axe would and could ultimately fall on his neck. But I believe a better draft could just be attributed to the coaches that are now in place.

If its Nix's decision to draft by committee and his committee is a complete and utter failure than its his head.

I understand the whole influence thing, but these things happen quickly on draft day. This guy is gone...that guy falls...lots of things happen quickly. All teams have open conversations about players among a whole group of people leading up to the draft. Of course, the better group of people you assemble the better YOU will look. That goes for anybody.

You can speculate as to how much influence Marrone had in the actual picks, but that's all you can do. Before the draft, Marrone then said he’ll essentially serve as a sounding board for Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley if called upon in the War Room. He was there in case they wanted his opinion on something like if they had a couple of guys ranked real close or whatever. Nix is the boss in there.

Whoa...lol

The dead spar thing was completely unintentional- I swear. Using a droid tablet here and on occassions when backspacing the damn thing will jump to the top of the response and it goes unoticed while Im typing. I didnt even notice until you pointed it out.

Ha, ha. Pretty funny...don't call me feldspdcisio193, either...although I had a hard time finding how that one could possibly be an insult, much less make any sense.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I understand the whole influence thing, but these things happen quickly on draft day. This guy is gone...that guy falls...lots of things happen quickly. All teams have open conversations about players among a whole group of people leading up to the draft. Of course, the better group of people you assemble the better YOU will look. That goes for anybody.

You can speculate as to how much influence Marrone had in the actual picks, but that's all you can do. Before the draft, Marrone then said he’ll essentially serve as a sounding board for Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley if called upon in the War Room. He was there in case they wanted his opinion on something like if they had a couple of guys ranked real close or whatever. Nix is the boss in there.

Ha, ha. Pretty funny...don't call me feldspdcisio193, either...although I had a hard time finding how that one could possibly be an insult, much less make any sense.
Pinkeye is good. LOL

GingerP
04-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Russ Brandon says Nix is staying on as the GM for a long time to come.

They need to keep him around so they have a scapegoat for the next mess.

JoeMama
04-28-2013, 09:55 PM

More than any other move Buddy has made anytime, anywhere, how EJ Manuel pans out will define Nix's legacy.

I hope Buddy Nix is right.

Because EJ Manuel was definitely one of the worst QBs I ever had to stomach at FSU.

A stupid QB with poor decision making skills. A mediocre arm. Terrible mechanics. A slow release. Takes lots of dumb sacks. Definitely as hopeless a prospect as they come.

He's awful but we're all hoping for a miracle.