PDA

View Full Version : Can Pappa Stevie control this Bunch of Young WR Talent

Thundering Buffalo
04-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Robert Woods, Da’Rick Rogers, Goodwin, and Graham all of a sudden our receiving corps is busting with talent. If Da'Rick Rogers, who was considered the most polished among the Tenn. receivers coming out, can get his crap together, we're going to light up scoreboards all over the NFL. I like the attitiude we are establishing on both sides of the ball. The soft mild mannered attitude has done nothing but keep us out of the playoffs and looking for excuses while we got our asses kicked every Sunday. If analytics means taking chances on fringe players with tremendous upside...sign me up!!

better days
04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Too funny to think of Stevie as the Mature player on this group, but he may well be. Should be FUN watching the Pats*, Jets & Fins trying to cover this group of WRs.

And Op was WORRIED about replacing Jones & Nelson.

ublinkwescore
04-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I would like to see Op's take on our rebuilt wr core

YardRat
04-28-2013, 10:36 AM
'Pappa Stevie' can't control himself.

That being said, I'm looking forward to watching a group of receivers with a little attitude.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Too funny to think of Stevie as the Mature player on this group, but he may well be. Should be FUN watching the Pats*, Jets & Fins trying to cover this group of WRs.

Sadly, as we discovered in 2002 and 2004 when we also had decent WR talent and a piss ass poor OL (something we have again thanks to letting Andy Levitre go and not signing or drafting a suitable replacement), the opposing defenses may have to worry about our WRs, but we have to worry about their pass rush. Its a very simple thing really, you blitz the **** out of our qb and sack him and rush him and get up in his grill all game long and you could have Jerry Rice and Andre Reed as your top two receivers and it won't matter. I see pass protection being a major issue this year. However, if the OL plays above its current talent and keeps Kolb, Jackson, and Manuel standing up long enough to get the ball to the receivers then yes this is going to be one hell of fun offense to watch.

ICRockets
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Sadly, as we discovered in 2002 and 2004 when we also had decent WR talent and a piss ass poor OL (something we have again thanks to letting Andy Levitre go and not signing or drafting a suitable replacement), the opposing defenses may have to worry about our WRs, but we have to worry about their pass rush. Its a very simple thing really, you blitz the **** out of our qb and sack him and rush him and get up in his grill all game long and you could have Jerry Rice and Andre Reed as your top two receivers and it won't matter. I see pass protection being a major issue this year. However, if the OL plays above its current talent and keeps Kolb, Jackson, and Manuel standing up long enough to get the ball to the receivers then yes this is going to be one hell of fun offense to watch.

If only we had RBs who we could run screen passes for to make teams hesitate to blitz....

Generalissimus Gibby
04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
If only we had RBs who we could run screen passes for to make teams hesitate to blitz....

Yes, CJ will help aleviate this, but this does not take away from the fact that our O-Line is going to look like a revolving door this year. I want to be optimistic, but I also know this is a first year project of a long term rebuild reboot. To be fair, I don't expect too much this year, I see a complete bottoming out at 3-13 to 4-12 but then I see us getting help at G and drafting a couple more LBs and resigning some key people followed by a breakout year in 2014 with possibly 8-9 wins and then the goal should be post season in 2015 and God willing we are talking Superbowl in 2016 or 2017.

coastal
04-28-2013, 01:11 PM
EJ better be the one leading this group.

thats why we drafted him.

DraftBoy
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind who our WR Coach is in Ike Hilliard. He'll act like a father figure for a lot of these guys.

Meathead
04-28-2013, 02:31 PM
at least he'll try. thats a real good point

Rob's House
04-28-2013, 02:31 PM
The acquisition of Da'rick Rogers really put an exclamation point on this draft for me. The guys they picked aren't necessarily the ones I was hoping for, but there's no denying the talent we just amassed at WR. Rogers and Woods are first round talent and Goodwin has sick physical skills. It's entirely possible that a year or two from now we could have the best and deepest WR corps in the league.

Exaggerate much? Andy Levitre was a good and valuable piece of the Oline but it's not like he was the anchor that held it all together. Our HC's specialty is Oline. It's the one area where I'm more than willing to defer to his expertise and assume that if he thinks he's got a good replacement on the roster then he's probably right. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hariston slide in at LG and Z Sanders to replace him as the swing tackle.

Meathead
04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
ive never heard him talk. pls tell me hes not travis dumb

hope not. if he can suddenly stop being a punk he would essentially be a free early draft pick

Extremebillsfan247
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
'Pappa Stevie' can't control himself.

That being said, I'm looking forward to watching a group of receivers with a little attitude.

I don't know but Stevie Johnson has been awfully quiet on twitter lately. lol You think he will still be injured when the Bills come back for mandatory mini camps?

Generalissimus Gibby
04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Your post was spot on. . . .

The acquisition of Da'rick Rogers really put an exclamation point on this draft for me. The guys they picked aren't necessarily the ones I was hoping for, but there's no denying the talent we just amassed at WR. Rogers and Woods are first round talent and Goodwin has sick physical skills. It's entirely possible that a year or two from now we could have the best and deepest WR corps in the league.

Until you said. . . .

Exaggerate much? Andy Levitre was a good and valuable piece of the Oline but it's not like he was the anchor that held it all together. Our HC's specialty is Oline. It's the one area where I'm more than willing to defer to his expertise and assume that if he thinks he's got a good replacement on the roster then he's probably right. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hariston slide in at LG and Z Sanders to replace him as the swing tackle.

I have a problem with someone saying it will be a good unit because the coach can develop good players. I am only guilty of doubt here because I kind of remember --incorrectly or not -- someone saying that Chan Gailey coulld make a crap qb good. Ah yes, the crap qb he turned good would that be Tyler Thigpen or would that be Ryan Fitzpatrick, or would that be Vince Young? He polished them turds to a high shine, but at the end of the game those turd balls were still turds. We allowed a very good guard to get away and we didn't do anything in FA or the draft to replace him. Sorry, but position looks suspect. Don't get me wrong, I hope to God that you are right and I am wrong. If you turn out to be right I will very gladly take my crow with a honey glaze and a side of biscuits, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese.

Hmmm, today I have convinced one group that I am a homer and another that I am a pessimist.

pmoon6
04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, today I have convinced one group that I am a homer and another that I am a pessimist.Well, most don't really know you yet. If they did, they would know that you are neither.

Dckhead is a far more accurate description.

Captain Obvious
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM

He will never admit he likes the Woods pick and admit he thinks Woods will be better than Nelson and Jones. .Because Woods is a unproven commodity and because Woods went to USC

Rob's House
04-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I have a problem with someone saying it will be a good unit because the coach can develop good players. I am only guilty of doubt here because I kind of remember --incorrectly or not -- someone saying that Chan Gailey coulld make a crap qb good. Ah yes, the crap qb he turned good would that be Tyler Thigpen or would that be Ryan Fitzpatrick, or would that be Vince Young? He polished them turds to a high shine, but at the end of the game those turd balls were still turds. We allowed a very good guard to get away and we didn't do anything in FA or the draft to replace him. Sorry, but position looks suspect. Don't get me wrong, I hope to God that you are right and I am wrong. If you turn out to be right I will very gladly take my crow with a honey glaze and a side of biscuits, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese.

Hmmm, today I have convinced one group that I am a homer and another that I am a pessimist.

I don't think you were completely wrong, just exaggerating a bit. I'm a bit concerned b/c I think our line has been overrated for the last two years b/c of the quick release spread offense. I'm just not convinced that Levitre is a make or break kind of player. I'd feel a lot better if we brought someone else in. My confidence in the replacement is based primarily on the fact that they've not made a move despite seemingly reasonable alternatives which leads me to believe they feel pretty good about someone (I assume Hairston but that's based on nothing but a hunch and Buddy talking about moving OTs to G). That or hopefully Buddy can work some more waiver wire magic. One man's garbage is another man's come up.

Generalissimus Gibby
04-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Well, most don't really know you yet. If they did, they would know that you are neither.

Dckhead is a far more accurate description.
Wow my day has officially been made. Thanks moonie, its not every day that the President of the Rocky Mountain chapter of the National Brotherhood of D*CKHEADS declares me to be an official member.

DraftBoy
04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
ive never heard him talk. pls tell me hes not travis dumb

hope not. if he can suddenly stop being a punk he would essentially be a free early draft pick

No this is a video from a couple of years ago from when he was Tennessee;
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m00gzp79Ju0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Now let's be clear Rogers was a punk coming out of HS. He was supposed to go to UGA and then on signing day flipped his commitment to Tennessee. After that broke he started talking a bunch of smack about UGA on his twitter account and he and safety Bacarri Rambo got into it over this.

His teammates at Tennessee many times couldn't stand him, he came in entitled and thought he ran the program. Got into some trouble off the field and while his on the field production was good he was not worth the trouble. Derek Dooley was a no nonsense kind of a guy but he couldn't get to Rogers.

Rogers went to Tennessee Tech to reunite with his HS QB and to try and rebuild his image. He kept his head down, went to class, and didn't get in trouble while a Golden Eagle. He did rub some people the wrong way there because he knew he'd only be there for a year and wasn't shy about it.

He needs some tough love and some thicker skin but if he continues to grow up he has Top 15 talent from this last draft class.

TigerJ
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Hopefully Doug Marrone can be the strong head coach he needs. Although, the youth of Buffalo's wide receivers could be a disadvantage for a while, I like that Steve Johnson is in a position to be a mentor, along with having Ike Hilliard as receivers coach. It has to be clear to these young receivers that while Steve Johnson doesn't have great speed, and he's no giant like Megatron, he is an effective receiver because of his route running. Can you imagine all of them emulating Steve Johnson's route running and working at being effective in that area of their game. Woods is already a solid route runner, but everyone can use some degree of work on it.

Tatonka
04-28-2013, 10:40 PM
i can not wait till the preseason starts to see all these kids on the field.
i had never heard of brian kauffman either, but after watching his highlights and reading up on him, it appears that he had some of his best games against d1 competition, so i dont think the competition transition will be as big as one might think. the guy had over 1800 yards in ONE college season. thats absurd. His size is massive at 6-5 and if you watch his tapes, he seems to have great body control in the air, strong hands, and good timing on when to go up and get something.. maybe he can be what we wanted out of james hardy.. i think he has a legit shot to make the team based on his skill set.

my hope would be that the young kids play well and the WR depth chart breaks down as follows:

S. Johnson
R. Woods
T.J. Graham
M. Goodwin
D. Rogers
B. Kauffman

tired of waiting for Easley to come around. Brad smith should be cut.