PDA

View Full Version : I feel like Byrd doesn't want to be a Bill

Bone
04-28-2013, 12:30 PM
After watching the draft conference, It seemed to me that Russ and Nix had to say the usual," we want him here, there's been dialogue" blah blah blah. If Byrd doesn't want to be here and wants Dashon Goldson type money, trade him. Yeah he can hold out and report whenever he wants but then at the end of the year, he can walk and the Bills get nothing for him....btw I guess his agent Eugene Parker is a *****.

jimbohastle51
04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
He can't walk at the end of the year. He can be franchised again. He may nor want to play in buffalo any longer. You can't blame him for that. He hasn't made the playoffs and his father played in San Diego and he played his college ball at Oregon. He may prefer the west coast. Bottom line is if he wants to be paid well to play ball this year in the NFL its going to be in buffalo because they have no intention of trading him and every intention of paying him the 6million + salary this season.

Lexwhat
04-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't see what is wrong with him wanting Goldson type money. If I was the Bills, I think Byrd is worth just as much as as Goldson, if not more!

Goldson was on a Defense full of superstars, while Byrd was a great player on one of the worst Defenses in the league in a poorly-coached scheme. I understand if the Bills let Levitre walk and didn't want to invest $8 million per year in a Guard, but Byrd is a young star and the money saved from Levitre should be given to him.

To me, trading him is stupid. Just sign him. If the Bills wait until next season to sign him, he will cost even more.

jwenger
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
It seems every time we get in to these situations like re-signing players

like Byrd we seem to lose them. Maybe they just don't want to be here and
would prefer to play anyother place even for less cash. Its not all about money.

Offer him real good money and if he rejects then re-franchise him and have a disgruntled
player on your hands or find a replacement.

Rob's House
04-28-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't see what is wrong with him wanting Goldson type money. If I was the Bills, I think Byrd is worth just as much as as Goldson, if not more!

Goldson was on a Defense full of superstars, while Byrd was a great player on one of the worst Defenses in the league in a poorly-coached scheme. I understand if the Bills let Levitre walk and didn't want to invest $8 million per year in a Guard, but Byrd is a young star and the money saved from Levitre should be given to him.

To me, trading him is stupid. Just sign him. If the Bills wait until next season to sign him, he will cost even more.

I think what OP is getting at is that it might not be as easy as just signing him. If he doesn't want to be here he may be trying to force a trade. He has the same agent Jason Peters had who basically forced a trade to a team his client wanted to play for and got him big money. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he might be doing the same with Byrd. We really have no idea what Byrd's demands are.

coastal
04-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Just so ecstatic we signed Mario to play defensive end in 4-3 to the tune of $100 million.

oh wait... we don't play a 4-3 anymore.

EricStratton
04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
What comments did Byrd make at the presser that would make it seem like he doesn't want to play here?

coastal
04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
What comments did Byrd make at the presser that would make it seem like he doesn't want to play here?
Take your melancholic reason and bugger off.

were dancing here.

EricStratton
04-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Take your melancholic reason and bugger off.

Sorry

Buddo
04-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Biggest issue with Byrd, is his agent, who is just after the $.
I don't think Byrd wants to leave necessarily, but he does want to get paid. He deserves to be, as well, but what he deserves, and what Parker will ask for, are probably far apart.
I also believe that Byrd really wants to play football, so while he might hold out some, I don't think it will be to the extent that he misses so much to not be ready for the season.

Meathead
04-28-2013, 01:59 PM
im sure the bills are/will offer him fair market value but the team has all the leverage here so why rush it. players loathe playing under the tag bc it risks future money in the case they get seriously hurt. byrd will sign, its just a matter of when

OLDSRIP
04-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Was Parker his agent all along or did Byrd recently switch agents?
if he just switched, that tells me a lot.

THRILLHO
04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Are people still freaking out because he isn't showing up for voluntary work outs? It only April people.

Bone
04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Are people still freaking out because he isn't showing up for voluntary work outs? It only April people.
No... It's looking at the big picture and what lies ahead for our best safety.

JoeMama
04-28-2013, 03:07 PM
If he doesn't want to be here, he's a smart guy.

If I was an NFL player with career advancement in mind, step #1 would be to ditch Buffalo and never look back. And I love Buffalo.

Still, there's no indication Byrd wants out based solely on his absence in April. That's how these guys gain a foothold in contract talks. I'll worry if September rolls around and he's still at home playing Madden.

Skooby
04-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Byrd is going to have a career year I bet because we're probably going to grab leads on some teams, which will force our opponents to throw (to Byrd).

pmoon6
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Just so ecstatic we signed Mario to play defensive end in 4-3 to the tune of $100 million.

oh wait... we don't play a 4-3 anymore.Hmmm. He played outside linebacker his last year in Houston and had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got injured. Also, just because you call it a 3-4, doesn't mean the OLB can't have his hand in the dirt. Bryce Paup almost never was in a two point stance or off the LOS.

But, we know you take every opportunity to **** on Mario and the Bills for signing him.

I think he will have a great season next year, it will be great to see with the side benefit of seeing you eating crow.

Lexwhat
04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I think what OP is getting at is that it might not be as easy as just signing him. If he doesn't want to be here he may be trying to force a trade. He has the same agent Jason Peters had who basically forced a trade to a team his client wanted to play for and got him big money. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he might be doing the same with Byrd. We really have no idea what Byrd's demands are.

There is no reason for Byrd not to be the highest paid Free Safety in the league... Goldson and Eric Weddle are the highest paid Safeties in the league ($8 million per year) and Byrd is at both of their levels (IMO) or better. He is also younger than them both. $8 million a year absolutely is market rate for him, and if we don't sign him at that rate, some other team next season will gladly pay up to $10 million per year for him. Hell, Revis just got a $16 million per year deal (albeit not guaranteed), but it's very likely he will see at least 2 season's worth ($32 million) of salary. How can anyone say that Byrd isn't worth half that amount??

True, I don't know what their demands are (nor do I know what the Bills are offering), but Rotoworld speculates that the Bills are NOT willing to give him Goldson type money (i.e. $8 million per year).

The Bills are some of the worst money managers in the entire league (paying $4 million per year to that loser McKelvin) who is barely a Nickel CB in this league. Meanwhile, Asamougha just signed for $1.35 million and even in his struggles he is still better than that loser McKelvin.

This poor money distribution is really getting old.

p.s. Who is "OP"? I don't see him in this thread.

Lexwhat
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
By the way, although Polamalu is a strong safety, the Steelers gave him $9 million per year. Polamalu is/was a bonafide superstar, but got that money in his 30s. It probably wasn't a smart contract, but we know that other teams are willing to pay.

I will also add that we have no urgent contracts to extend next off-season (Eric Wood is not nearly that important), so financially it's better to give Byrd a front-loaded contract now than cuff ourselves by having to pay him more later.

Night Train
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Byrd can still be signed but he has the very difficult Eugene Parker as his agent (who holds players out)..so the Bills covered themsleves with a 4th rounder who can contribute some and a 5th rounder that needs time to develop. Aaron Williams moved to Safety also.

It's just thinking ahead and covering all scenerio's.

RedEyE
04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I say give him what he's asking for. And I agree with another poster from a different thread, get rid of Brad Smith and use that money to make up Byrd's contract.

If you put on the table what he's askingfor and still doesn't come, well then that's on him and he can't use money as the excuse.

But he really is worth the money in my opinion and don't see the harm in paying the man.

Extremebillsfan247
04-28-2013, 04:25 PM

oh wait... we don't play a 4-3 anymore.

Yeah, I thought Mario struggled in a 3/4 defense which is 1 of the reasons Houston didn't try too hard to bring him back? I'm starting to wonder how this new system will effect his game.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-28-2013, 04:34 PM
i really want him back, but i see it hard with the cap. if you cant, then trade him for a couple high picks. at least we get something....

Extremebillsfan247
04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
As far as Byrd is concerned, He isn't any different from other players who just want to get paid. It doesn't really matter to him whether he's a Bill or not, as long as the money is right. I know the Bills are interested in keeping him, so they will do what ever they can to sign him. But, they aren't going to break the bank for him either. This is probably going to come to a conclusion very soon. The Bills lose more of these type of contract battles than they win. So it doesn't look good, but we will see how it goes. JMO

DynaPaul
04-28-2013, 05:53 PM
His agent has a poor track record of keeping his clients in Buffalo. That's what I worry about.

feldspar
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Hmmm. He played outside linebacker his last year in Houston and had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got injured. Also, just because you call it a 3-4, doesn't mean the OLB can't have his hand in the dirt. Bryce Paup almost never was in a two point stance or off the LOS.

But, we know you take every opportunity to **** on Mario and the Bills for signing him.

I think he will have a great season next year, it will be great to see with the side benefit of seeing you eating crow.

Also, Mario was saying that Pettine had him lined up, and he didn't even know WHAT position he was playing. We're going to be mixing up formations quite a bit this year...we are playing a creative hybrid defense. Mario can line up in any number of places. I think he'll have a great year too.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
If he doesn't want to be here, he's a smart guy.

If I was an NFL player with career advancement in mind, step #1 would be to ditch Buffalo and never look back. And I love Buffalo.

Still, there's no indication Byrd wants out based solely on his absence in April. That's how these guys gain a foothold in contract talks. I'll worry if September rolls around and he's still at home playing Madden.

After we win the Super Bowl this year everyone will want to come here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Eugene Parker is worse than the smell of a hobo's nut sack.

better days
04-28-2013, 10:14 PM

Well, the Peters trade worked out pretty well for the Bills. If the Bills can get value for Byrd like they did for Peters, I'm all for it.

JoeMama
04-28-2013, 10:17 PM
After we win the Super Bowl this year everyone will want to come here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Eugene Parker is worse than the smell of a hobo's nut sack.

You know what's weird? I can dig up angry rants from 10+ years ago about how much I hate the Condon brothers and their agents.