• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LVGrown
    Vegas Growed
    • Jul 2002

#1 QB DRAFTED

I am amazed that E.J. Manuel was the #1 QB drafted and yet all I see all over ESPN and NFL Network is the Jets with Geno Smith and the Eagles with Matt Barkley. Wtf???
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: #1 QB DRAFTED

Bigger markets. No one covers the Bills unless we're winning.

Comment

• Gibby
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by LVGrown View Post
      I am amazed that E.J. Manuel was the #1 QB drafted and yet all I see all over ESPN and NFL Network is the Jets with Geno Smith and the Eagles with Matt Barkley. Wtf???
      Bigger markets and also ESPN and NFL guys had fantasy drafted Barkley, Smith, and Nassib for that matter, as the top qbs. They're self described football geniuses and it pisses them off when front office people don't make the picks they like.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
        • Sep 2008

Geno Smith was media hyped from the beginning, the Bills made them look bad by picking another QB. The media think they are smarter than NFL clubs. So, showing them up will often lead to criticism. Chip Kelly is another media darling, it's why Barkley is getting hype. But, both he and Geno can fail just like Manuel can. Personally, I feel Manuel is in better position to succeed than these other 2 QB's because the situation he was drafted into is far more stable. But, that's my opinion.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Barkley was always over-rated... but Smith was the best QB in the class and should have been the bills pick. (that said he was only a marginal first rounder)
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
            Barkley was always over-rated... but Smith was the best QB in the class and should have been the bills pick. (that said he was only a marginal first rounder)
            I wouldnt of minded Geno but disagree with this statement. He disappeared in games against good teams. Not saying any of them should of been a clear cut #1 though

Comment

• Buffalo Billy Bison
              • Mar 2003

Brady must have been watching our draft! Which is why he crying!
              11-5 in 2020 and deep into the Playoffs!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

he was pretty much the clear cut number one... when you are talking about a draft filled with late 2nd mid - 4th round qbs, the lone qb worth a late 1st- early 2nd round grade is instantly the best guy in the class.

will Smith be any good? that's debateable... Its entirely likely he'll flame out of the league. That said he's got a better chance to make it then Manuel (or he would if he was anywhere but the NYJ).
                Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• JoeMama
                  Emotion Sickness
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by LVGrown View Post
                  Maybe because EJ Manuel was a subpar collegiate QB who benefited from a meaningless Senior Bowl?

Of course he's not getting love from anyone but us. He did nothing to inspire anyone but us.

We're all hoping he pans out, but we'd be idiots to assume everyone else in the media will glorify a second rate QB in the first round.
                  Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                    Maybe because EJ Manuel was a subpar collegiate QB who benefited from a meaningless Senior Bowl?

Of course he's not getting love from anyone but us. He did nothing to inspire anyone but us.

We're all hoping he pans out, but we'd be idiots to assume everyone else in the media will glorify a second rate QB in the first round.
                    I think the Senior Bowl helped his chances but have to disagree if your point is that its the single reason the Bills drafted him.

The biggest reason he was drafted by the Bills, IMO, is that the Bills will be running the same offense FSU ran the past few years. Now Manuel may have not mastered it by any means, but he definitely is the best choice in th class to run it. Nassib being possibly the 2nd best candidate. Understand though that Manuel is twice the athlete that Nassib is and has played against a higher rated caliber of collegiate teams.

Geno was the best over all rated QB. There is no doubt he can sling the ball. However, the Bills have a plan and a scheme and it makes more sense in my opinion to inject a guy that has more familiarity with this scheme. Perhaps the Bills weren't enamored with his aptitude?

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Imagine this: It's 2011 and we're sitting at pick 3. Cam Newton has been selected #1 by Carolina & we trade down. In between the time we traded the pick & the time we pick, Jacksonville gets Gabbert-Mel Kiper, who rated Gabbert #1 over Newton, is heaping glowing praise on Jacksonville. Soon after, we decide to draft a guy Kiper has as his 8th rated QB-Colin Kaepernick-and Kiper criticizes us for taking him & gives us a bad draft grade. Well, obviously that didn't happen, but Kiper's ratings on the QBs of 2011 are as I've stated.
                      Now fast forward to this past week. Kiper has his QBs ranked in this order: Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon, Jones, Manuel, Bray. The Bills trade down out of 8 to 16. They dare to take Kiper's 6th rated QB, a guy who Kiper rates as a 3rd rounder over his top 3 and has mock drafted to KC at the top of round 3. Kiper has mock drafted Geno Smith #4 to Philadelphia, Barkley #33 to Jacksonville and Ryan Nassib to the Bills at 41. So now Kiper is criticizing us & giving us a bad grade. Kiper is just one example of a member of the media who thinks the world revolves around him and any team that picks a guy higher than he rated him will get his on-air criticism. The guy he rated 1 spot behind Manuel didn't even get drafted!

Comment

• Gilly
                        Go Sabres!!
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

guy can't even talk, you see Smith's interview after he was drafted???
                        Last edited by Gilly; 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM.

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                          Imagine this: It's 2011 and we're sitting at pick 3. Cam Newton has been selected #1 by Carolina & we trade down. In between the time we traded the pick & the time we pick, Jacksonville gets Gabbert-Mel Kiper, who rated Gabbert #1 over Newton, is heaping glowing praise on Jacksonville. Soon after, we decide to draft a guy Kiper has as his 8th rated QB-Colin Kaepernick-and Kiper criticizes us for taking him & gives us a bad draft grade. Well, obviously that didn't happen, but Kiper's ratings on the QBs of 2011 are as I've stated.
                          Now fast forward to this past week. Kiper has his QBs ranked in this order: Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon, Jones, Manuel, Bray. The Bills trade down out of 8 to 16. They dare to take Kiper's 6th rated QB, a guy who Kiper rates as a 3rd rounder over his top 3 and has mock drafted to KC at the top of round 3. Kiper has mock drafted Geno Smith #4 to Philadelphia, Barkley #33 to Jacksonville and Ryan Nassib to the Bills at 41. So now Kiper is criticizing us & giving us a bad grade. Kiper is just one example of a member of the media who thinks the world revolves around him and any team that picks a guy higher than he rated him will get his on-air criticism. The guy he rated 1 spot behind Manuel didn't even get drafted!
                          Yeah man. Most "draft experts" are just guessing like the rest of us but Kiper is a tool. That guy does what the other 9 months of the year? You don't hear anything about him. At least guys like Mayock are at the games talking with the players and coaches on the field.

Its depressing that this guy is making money off of what all of us are doing on this message board.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

To tell the truth, I actually feel bad for Geno Smith, He couldn't have gotten drafted into a worse situation than the one he was drafted into with the Jets this year. JMO

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247 View Post
                              To tell the truth, I actually feel bad for Geno Smith, He couldn't have gotten drafted into a worse situation than the one he was drafted into with the Jets this year. JMO
                              What a dumb statement, Tebow is now released, Sanchez will be cut soon. We go into next season with $40 mill in cap space and we lose all of the dead weight, new GM in town means no more of the crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X