PDA

View Full Version : Did we do enough at TE?

Tatonka
04-28-2013, 10:44 PM
I know we grabbed Chris Gragg, who looks like a big wr with the 7th rounder we got. Chandler looked very good prior to his injury, but based on the timing of his injury, he will be right around 7 months in by the time training camp gets going. who knows if he will be ready for the start of the season. I dont know if we really consider Dorin Dickerson a true TE or a half back/hybrid. None of the other 3 TEs on the roster excite me. I wonder if we will try to address the position any more before training camp. thoughts?

JoeMama
04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
He's no Jay Riemersma.

Definitely the best TE we've had since Pete Metzelaarz.

This Gragg kid probably sucks.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-28-2013, 10:49 PM
nix said he thinks scott will be ready for tc. they will ease him in to be ready opening day...

i like smith as our blocking te, and gragg has big time potential.

i feel good about it...

caussin is a nice prospect too

Jaybird
04-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I think we need some vert insurance at the position. Is Chandler has a set back we will need an upgrade.

justasportsfan
04-29-2013, 08:12 AM
caussin is a nice prospect tooafter all these years he's still a prospect?

RedEyE
04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Did we do enough at TE?

I believe this will all hinge on Chandler's recovery and return. I think Gragg looks pretty damn good myself. He plays much taller on the field than he actually is and he does exceptionally well in downfield blocking. Seems to have some decent hands too but I noticed that he does have a pair of lumbering feet. They don't seem to bother him too much on routes nor does it affect his speed, but you can see it mostly when he runs after the catch. His feet and his sideline awareness do not appear to be properly aligned. This might hurt a bit on those out routes or in the red zone. The only reason I'm making a huge deal about it is that foot placement problems in college are quite a bit more forgiving. The NFL two feet rule might give him a bit of a problem in certain situations, especially when coverage is tight.

But then again he is a tight end and they are all pretty much lumbering oafs anyway.

The King
04-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Gragg is insanely fast, I liked him in the 5th and we got him in the 7th, he has serious injury concerns but well worth the risk IMO.

Bert102176
04-29-2013, 08:32 AM
We need to go sign Dennis Pitta it will cost us a 3rd rounder but well worth it.

psubills62
04-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Depends on what you mean by "do enough." Did we do enough to be able to put 2 TE's on the field at one time? Yes. Did we do enough to be able to run a dominant, TE-centric offense? No.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
after all these years he's still a prospect?

knee injury...

can we have at least one thread without someone being a smart ass...

Night Train
04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
One has to wonder how important the TE is in this rumored Offense. It could be single back, 4 WR's quite often. We'll see.

trapezeus
04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
if the bills are running a 3-4 receiver set with spiller out the backfield, i think they'll be ok without another TE. with Goodwin potentially being a welker-type of sprinting across the middle at 5 yards and getting dump offs, and spiller as a screen option, maybe they don't need a TE.

if the QB is fairly accurate with his passing, maybe he doesn't need a 6'6 player like fitz did.
Also if EJ is playing this year, if he is willing to use his legs, that might just open the middle of the field for the smaller receiver to run for middle routes.

so in conclusion, if the bills wanted TE's to make the middle of the field difficult for LB, they kind of failed by adding a 7th rounder. if they are planning on getting faster receivers running across the middel to create the type of mismatches we've had against the pats the last 10 years, they may be on to something.

DynaPaul
04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Nope, I wanted Eifert but that was not to be. After this draft we still need to get depth for TE, OL, and LB. Hopefully we can make some moves to fill in those holes. I would have dropped one of those SS draft picks for another offensive lineman.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Nope, I wanted Eifert but that was not to be. After this draft we still need to get depth for TE, OL, and LB. Hopefully we can make some moves to fill in those holes. I would have dropped one of those SS draft picks for another offensive lineman.

wasnt sims picked in the 5th?

yeah, i dont mind the meeks pick, but i would have taken that beast sims... jmo

Tatonka
04-29-2013, 03:14 PM
sims is another slower blocking type TE though.. i would much rather have gragg who is more of a wr type.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
We need to go sign Dennis Pitta it will cost us a 3rd rounder but well worth it.

It's too late. The RFA signing period ended before the draft.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/2013-NFL-free-agency-questions-and-answers/323b09ba-1863-40d0-947b-3aad872f78d2

Q. What could restrict the ability of a Restricted Free Agent to sign with a new club?

A. If he has received a "qualifying offer" (a salary tender predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 19. If the Restricted Free Agent signs an offer sheet with a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because the qualifying offer entitles it to a "right of first refusal" on any offer sheet the player signs. If the old club does not match the offer, it may receive draft choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed on or before April 19, the player's negotiating rights revert exclusively to his old club. In addition, a player who would otherwise be a Restricted Free Agent may be designated by his old club as its Franchise Player or Transition Player. No Restricted Free Agents were designated as such this year.

Bert102176
04-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Damn, ty

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Damn, ty

We could still trade for him, but I don't know what Baltimore would want and I'm not eager to give up future picks.

jimbohastle51
04-29-2013, 11:28 PM
The team is in good shape at TE. Lee Smith is a solid blocking TE and is still on his rookie contract. Cragg is going to be a nice receiving TE and Dickerson can always stick around till chandler is back healthy.

Night Train
04-30-2013, 05:39 AM
sims is another slower blocking type TE though.. i would much rather have gragg who is more of a wr type.

I bet with his build (Gragg), they are thinking more H-Back than TE... although I can see him lining up in the slot. He's an interesting player, for sure.

X-Era
04-30-2013, 05:49 AM
I think Chandler is underrated personally. His TD production has been very good. I could be wrong but I think he's got the most TD's per game of any TE for the Bills ever (pretty sure I looked that up before). I do also think he will make a full recovery.

Gragg is probably going to be a gadget TE where they use his size and speed as a mismatch against smaller nickel corners. He's not Gronk but he could become Hernandez for us.

Edit:

Yes, Chandler has 12 TD's in 34 games which is the best TD's per game ratio ever for a Bills TE (a TD every 2.83 games).

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-4-4/buffalo-bills-tight-ends.html

mysticsoto
04-30-2013, 07:05 AM
I think Chandler is underrated personally. His TD production has been very good. I could be wrong but I think he's got the most TD's per game of any TE for the Bills ever (pretty sure I looked that up before). I do also think he will make a full recovery.

Gragg is probably going to be a gadget TE where they use his size and speed as a mismatch against smaller nickel corners. He's not Gronk but he could become Hernandez for us.

Edit:

Yes, Chandler has 12 TD's in 34 games which is the best TD's per game ratio ever for a Bills TE (a TD every 2.83 games).

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-4-4/buffalo-bills-tight-ends.html

I agree, Chandler is pretty good. I have no idea why people were calling for drafting a TE so high. Chandler was a great surprise - and this was w/erratic Fitz throwing at him. If we get someone w/more stability, his numbers will probably look even better.