X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So this is What OBD Think of Our Defense Problem Last Year

Wilson, Sheppard/Barnett, gone. 4 Dline changed to 3 Dline.

In other words, straight down the middle.

They added an ILB and 2 safeties through the draft. I'd have to think they need one more thumper MLB.

Of course all depends on the play of the nose tackle. I'm still not sold Kyle fits the bill there. Need Marcel to do better (much better) than he did in his rookie year there.
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: So this is What OBD Think of Our Defense Problem Last Year

You forgot that they added Branch to play NT.

Comment

• tatersalad
      • Apr 2008

i think this d can cover some mistakes by flying to the ball, Also the pressure they will put on a Qb will hide some defeciencies

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

I actually thought Troup could be a fit there if he's ever healthy. Marcel might fit well as an End. Carrington certainly has a better home than he was last year.

Comment

• mjt328
          • May 2011

The strength of our defense is still the DTs - Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus.

I thought both did a good job of taking up blockers and getting penetration last year. But our second/third level did a terrible job behind them, both in run defense and in pass coverage.

Not surprising that two of our starting linebackers and strong safety got the boot.
          2013 "My Should Have" Draft
          Posted During the 2013 Draft
          1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
          2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
          3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
          4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
          5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
          6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
          7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
          1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
          2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
          2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
          3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
          4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
          5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
          6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
          7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            I actually thought Troup could be a fit there if he's ever healthy. Marcel might fit well as an End. Carrington certainly has a better home than he was last year.
            Marcell is a 3-4 NT and he showed that in his rookie year. Going back to the 4-3 was a huge mistake by the Bills.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

If Troup is healthy, I'd put Branch at NT with Troup backing up. Kyle will be the RDE with Carrington as backup. Marcel will be the LDE with Mario rotate in when he's not playing LB.

Marcel is not a typical NT in that he's not a space clogger (lateral moves taking up lanes). He has the power to penetrate a bit more. that's why people always think Marcel and kyle forms a great DT tandem in a 4-3.

Comment

• Gibby
                • Jun 2006

I'm going to say it, provided Nintendo can stay healthy I think this defense will be at least somewhat better this year. I say this because I don't necessarily think the problem last year was talent as much as it was poor coaching and misuse of the talent. Dareus had an off year, but I think a lot of that was losing an immediate member of his family. If our new coaching staff can light the fire under his ass and if Kyle can stay healthy then I think we are all going to be pleased with the D. I am still saying we finish with between 3 and 5 wins because we have a very brutal schedule. However, I think we might be in a lot of the games. This is year one of the reboot of a rebuild and I am looking forward to seeing what we've got.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                  You forgot that they added Branch to play NT.
                  And you both forgot that they added Manny Lawson at OLB.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

If we have Dansby then we will be in very good shape. Even without him, I can see us being improved just based on the use of available assets. After all, we grossly underachieved last year.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                      Marcell is a 3-4 NT and he showed that in his rookie year. Going back to the 4-3 was a huge mistake by the Bills.
                      I disagree, I still think our line is best suited for a 4-3 alignment but Wanny ran the stupidest version of that imaginable. If they do go more 3-4, I'd like it to include a lot of the "Predator" looks where we have the appearance of a 4 man line.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

i wonder if we sign dansby now?

white, dowtin, lloyd, b. smith as backup ilb are decent i guess, but i want a marginal starter there. dansby should start and alonso should back him up for his rookie year... jmo

- - - Updated - - -

chris white is underrated inside though....

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

I think the big question with this defense is that there are significant personnel and scheme changes which are bing implemented, so that will necessarily result in a learning curve throughout the season. In addition, I don't see much in the way of on-field leadership. That said, last seasons coaching staff was so inept it would be hard to be worse then last season. They also have seemingly made an effort to get more athletic, so we will see how that plays out.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            I disagree, I still think our line is best suited for a 4-3 alignment but Wanny ran the stupidest version of that imaginable. If they do go more 3-4, I'd like it to include a lot of the "Predator" looks where we have the appearance of a 4 man line.
                            I agree as well that the Bills front 7 personnel is better suited to a 4-3 look - particularly it three most talented players: M. Williams, K. Williams and M. Dareus. But again, Wanny was so bad that any system would be better.

Comment

• Jaybird
                              • Dec 2005

the best part of the trade today is that the team is still looking to get better.. singing players, more trades.. it all works in our favor.

Comment

Working...
                              X